Sign in to follow this  
BartonKeyes

Maximilian Schell: 8 December 1930 - 1 February 2014

21 posts in this topic

Austrian actor Maximilian Schell, who won an Oscar for his role in the 1961 film Judgment at Nuremberg, has passed away at the age of 83.

He died overnight at a clinic in the Austrian city of Innsbruck after "a sudden and serious illness", his agent said.

Schell had been treated for pneumonia earlier this week.

The full obituary can be accessed via the following link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25999203

He was a wonderfully talented performer. Much sexier than most of the matinee idols of his time. A guy with looks who could act circles around the rest.

sjff_03_img1330.jpgtopkai-max.gif

loren-schell.jpg

he was so good in Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) he almost made the Nazi actions seem justified. what a talented and forceful screen presence he was.

btw, i think he was the Oscar winner for Best Actor with the oldest award, 1961, still living. so, that distinction now goes to Sydney Poitier for his 1963 performance in Lillies of the Field. the oldest award for Best Actress who is still living is Olivia de Havilland's statue for To Each His Own (1946).

correction: spoke too soon. the oldest Best Actress award with a still living winner is Luise Rainer for The Good Earth (1937).

allthumbs your correction still needs a little tweaking, if I may be so bold.

It is Luise Rainer: Her first Oscar was for 1936's *The Great Ziegfeld*, followed by her 2nd in 1937 for *The Good Earth*.

And, may Mr.Schell and Arthur Rankin Jr.and Christopher Jones, all rest in peace.

Edited by: mockingbird13 on Feb 1, 2014 4:36 PM

When I just now read of his death on TCM my heart and brain stuck in stunned disbelief or a moment. What a loss. What an incredible actor. Such talent. Hard to find a better actor ever than Mr. Schell. Rest in Peace. His kind are once in a lifetime talents. His mesmerizing performance in "Judgement at Nuremburg" to me is one of the greatest in history. So many other great performances as well. I am still stunned by this loss as I write this.

These are the Oscar winners in the acting categories with the oldest awards, for interest's sake:

Best Actor: *Sidney Poitier* for *Lilies of the Field* (1963)

Best Actress: *Luise Rainer* for *The Great Ziegfeld* (1936)

Best Supporting Actor: *George Chakiris* for *West Side Story* (1961)

Best Supporting Actress: *Eva Marie Saint* for *On the Waterfront* (1954)

Sorry Remy and allthuimbs, I corrected my post's dates on the evergreen Ms. Rainer to reflect that she won for *The Great Ziegfeld* in 1936. Apologies for the confusion.

>RIP Mr Schell - marvelous actor in all his roles. I also loved Return From the Ashes

Hi Lavender :) That was a good movie. Interesting that it should come up, that was my answer on the wall safe question you posed over there on the trivia board recently. (I'm still trying to think if there was a painting in front of it though ;) ) Talk to you soon around here :)

I'm not all that familiar with his movies, I'm going to look him up.

RIP Mr Schell

One of his last movies I saw him in was"Deep Impact" (1998) who tried to mend fences with his daughter. Very good movie. :)

Movie clip..

RIP :(

DeepImpact09-34-38-09.jpg

But even he couldn't help this bland, boring version of "Heidi" (NBC - 1968) Zzzzz.

51%2BN%2BU4gp3L.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 1, 2014 7:51 PM

>hamradio wrote: "But even he couldn't help this bland, boring version of "Heidi" (NBC - 1968) Zzzzz."

As you probably know, that November 17, 1968 telecast of "Heidi" is infamous in the history of pro football. When the clock struck 7 p.m. on the East Coast, NBC switched to the made-for-television movie and pulled away from an American Football League game between the New York Jets and the Oakland Raiders with just over a minute left. When the switch occurred, the Jets were winning 32-29. Miraculously, the Raiders scored two touchdowns in nine seconds to beat the Jets, 43-32.

I didn't realize that Schell was in the TV movie. I also didn't find out until years later that the actress who played Heidi, Jennifer Edwards, was the daughter of Blake Edwards, director of the "Pink Panther" series and "Breakfast at Tiffany's." Jennifer grew up to be a ****. Her father cast her in some of his movies, including "S.O.B." and "Sunset." Needless to say, she'll always be remembered because of "The Heidi Bowl."

If it were up to me the oldest living best actress would be Lauren Bacall (1944: To Have and Have Not ) and Jean-Paul Belmendo (1965: Pierrot le Fou).

What I'm wondering, after seeing that there's already been a "TCM Remembers" tribute for Shirley Temple before 4 p.m. eastern time today, is whether there was one for Maximilian Schell?

I missed it, if so. Certainly Philip Seymour Hoffman's death somewhat overshadowed Schell's, for understandable reasons. I will never forget how impressed I was with Schell the first time I saw "Judgment at Nuremburg." RIP

Sadly, I dont think TCM feels he's was a big enough star to merit a Remembers (at least in this country) I doubt we'll be seeing one. It would've been running by now.....

He actually won the Best Actor Oscar. Apparently not. Many deserving stars dont get a Remembers tribute on TCM. I dont know what their criteria is...