yogiboo

Why No Beatles Films on TCM?

603 posts in this topic

This being the 50th anniversary of the Lads in America, why haven't we seen *Hard Day's Night* or *Help* on TCM?

Is there a publishing rights issue with the music or issues with the distribution of the films. I really love HDN and would love to see it. I haven't seen it aired on tv anywhere in recent memory.

Any answers?

TCM is a film channel rather than a music channel, so it is more interested in Beatles' films than Beatles' music, The 50th anniversary pertains to concert appearances, and has nothing to do with films.

Yo,I get that, but still it's a movie that's rather iconic about an iconic group. I'm just trying to figure out why it isn't shown much, in general and on TCM in particular. I do belive that they have aired in in the past albeit not often.

But finance, TCM shows musicals which feature stories. Beatles films would fit right in with that.

And the 50th anniversary celebrates their arrival in America, which began the British invasion, their effect on music and culture world-wide. It is so much more than just their concerts. We still love and remember them.

Beatles Forever!!

<< TCM is a film channel rather than a music channel, so it is more interested in Beatles' films than Beatles' music, The 50th anniversary pertains to concert appearances, and has nothing to do with films. >>

TCM isn't a religious channel either, but they show films about Christ on both Christmas Day and Easter Sunday.

The OP's opinion is totally valid.

No answers here, but I would assume that its the same old story about who has the rights to the films and what their terms are for broadcasting them. By restricting the public broadcasting of the films they can sell more copies on video formats. Its all about the money .

Full disclosure......I never fully climbed aboard the Beatles' bandwagon. I don't have a single Beatles' song on my ipod. Now, when the time comes to celebrate the 50th annivrsary of the Stones' first appearance in the U.S., then I'll get really interested.

Edited by: finance on Feb 5, 2014 2:00 PM

The 50th anniversary celebration is about the rise of Beatlemania, and "A Hard Days Night" is certainly all about that. It would have fit in with TCM's "31 Days of Oscar" theme because Alun Owen's screenplay was nominated for a 1964 Academy Award.

"Let It Be" would fit, too, because the Beatles shared the 1970 Oscar for Original Song Score.

> Full disclosure......I never fully climbed aboard the Beatles' bandwagon. I don't have a single Beatles' song on my ipod. Now, when the time comes to celebrate the 50th annivrsary of the Stones' first appearance in the U.S., then I'll get really interested.

The irony here finance is that without the Beatles first generating a manic interest in "British" rock'n'Roll groups, we may have never HEARD of The Rolling Stones. Or perhaps maybe yes, but not for some time later. But I contend that it isn't any reason for you to LIKE the Beatles.

It's like the Elvis thing with me. I still don't consider him to be the "King of Rock'n'Roll", but without him, the interest in the genre would have taken longer to grow.

I agree that a showing of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT would be a good idea around the anniversary date.

Sepiatone

Added to this years film festival:

Newly Added Film Titles include:

?World Premiere Restorations of MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN (1936), STORMY WEATHER (1943), A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964) and GODZILLA: THE JAPANESE ORIGINAL (1954)

Why so few Mexican, Spanish, and other Hispanic films on TCM?

Why no films from El ?poca de Oro del Cine Mexicano?

15% of the US Population is Hispanic. That is the largest "minority" group in the country.

Mexico produced some wonderful classic films in the 1930s, 40s, and into the early 50s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_of_Mexican_cinema

Why haven't we seen La Perla during the past 5 years? Why show it only once in 20 years?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037981/

TCM did broadcast the Spanish language version of *Dracula* from 1931. I don't know how many times they did that though.

Fred, what's all that got to do with *A Hard Day's Night* ?

The original poster was pointing out that it would have been very appropriate, in view of the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' first appearance in North America (on the Ed Sullivan show), for TCM to air a Beatles movie...and since *A Hard Day's Night* is the boys' best film effort, and since, as someone else here noted, its screenplay was nominated for an Oscar, it would have been completely in line with TCM's programming to show it.

I just checked the schedule for February 9 (the Ed Sullivan anniversary), but no Beatles that day. Too bad.

Anyway, so Fred, your post may very well make some valid points, but why not start a thread about "films that deserve to be aired on TCM but are not", rather than bring the issue to this one, which is about the Beatles.

Well, its too late.for.February. But .maybe TCM can schedule AHDN during the summer, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of thr movie's release. Too bad there arent enough movies (I dont think) to have the Beatles for SUTS in August. Lets see:

A HARD DAYS NIGHT

HELP

MAGICAL.MYSTERY TOUR

YELLOW SUBMARINE (maybe)

LET IT BE

Possibly also some documentaries on them, to be able to do 24.hours.

>Arturo wrote: Too bad there arent enough movies (I dont think) to have the Beatles for SUTS in August.

You could always add their individual film projects, including "How I Won the War" (John Lennon), "Give My Regards to Broad Street" (Paul McCartney, with an appearance by Ringo Starr) and "The Magic Christian" (Ringo). Plus George produced numerous films ranging from "Time Bandits" to "Shanghai Surprise" (which was headlined by Sean Penn and Madonna).

There are plenty of documentaries, including Andrew Solt's excellent 1988 project "Imagine: John Lennon." I would add "The Concert for George" (2003), the filmed record of the November 29, 2002 tribute to the quiet Beatle on the first anniversary of his death.

The Beatles films are already in Scouse. What more do you want?

I'm presuming there might be rights issues. I know there has been

a lot of back and forth over Let It Be. Wouldn't it be great to

see all the hours of film that didn't appear in the movie itself? Yeah,

yeah, yeah.

What do you mean, "Scouse"? I think the term refers to Liverpool, or specifically, a Liverpool dialect, but still, that doesn't explain your sentence, "The Beatles films are already in Scouse" to me.

Of course, you being the poster you are, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I'm taking it too seriously, or too literally, or something.

Anyway, just to add to the list of possible Beatles and Beatles-related films TCM could show if they had the Beatles "star-of-the month" :

They'd have to show "The Rutles" (also known as "All You Need is Cash"), an affectionate fake doc, half-parody, half-homage, of the Beatles, in this version known as "The Rutles".

Produced in 1978 and featuring many talented comedians and musicians (including Eric Idle and the likes of Mick Jagger and Paul Simon, playing themselves) with a "guest" appearance by George Harrison ( not playing himself !), it's a very funny take-off on the lads from Liverpool. The more you know about the Beatles, the funnier it is. Here's an article about it, for those who haven't heard of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Need_Is_Cash

And here's a sample of the Rutles' pastiche of real Beatles music. It's so close to the original, it's almost scary. (Of course, nobody claims it's anywhere near as good...)

I picked this one because Eric Idle's shameless mugging is so reminiscent of Paul McCartney's, it makes me laugh every time. (Paul was always biting his lip and nodding his head and widening his eyes etc. in those early performances. Not that there's anything wrong with that -it's kind of charming.)

It is a shame there is nothing on TCM to commemorate the Beatles 50th anniversary of their arrival in the US.

Like others have pointed out they could definitely find more than enough material to do a SUTS as well. I suspect it does have to do with rights issues. But still it would be nice to see The Beatles get a tribute of some sort this year onTCM. The last time I saw some of their movies on cable ( Vh1 classic and Vh1 ) it was during the release of the video game, The Beatles: Rockband ( September 2009 ).

Hey Morris, look at this:

THE SEARCHERS, now available in the Ticinese dilect. (For somewhere around where Italy meets Switzerland):