yogiboo

Why No Beatles Films on TCM?

603 posts in this topic

George, for sure. It seems strange to realize this about the "quiet" Beatle - and the one who delved much into the spiritual - but he was actually the one who spent the most time with other people.

Loving and being loved. And always creating - quietly and supportively. I have a set of books about each of them. Of the four volumes, his is the largest - so interesting he was.

I'd like to see a movie made about him. The title might be "Dark Horse".

This thread maybe turning into a boys club, but as a female, if I could have been with any of the boys, it would have been George. He's always been my favorite, posted that on the bds. months ago on another thread. While my friends squealed over Paul, George was my guy.

Yes, for me the question is not "which Beatle would you have wanted to be?" but, as with lavenderblue, "which Beatle would you have wanted to be with?"

For me, the sexiest Beatle, hands down, was John Lennon. Although not as cute as Paul or as philosophical as George, he always struck me as the most attractive. I liked his face, the shape of his eyes, his recalcitrant persona, and most of all, his voice. One of the greatest rocknroll voices of all time.

> While my friends squealed over Paul, George was my guy.

Funny thing. My wife, 10 years my senior, was never into the Beatles when they were famous. In the last several years, she watched my collection of "Anthology" tapes, along with HARD DAY'S NIGHT. And while she contends that Paul, John and George were "cute", she took a liking to RINGO. To her, he displayed the more "even keeled" temperment and likeable personality. And the "bluest" eyes!

And in spite of everyone claiming John to be the one with the "wit", George too, had a sharp sense of humor. In the Antholgy tapes, he talks about how, "Paul always felt he had to guide me along and give me direction because he was nine months older than me. Even today, he's STILL--- nine months older than me."

Sepiatone

MissW- my sister, was probably the smartest person I've ever known and had the most impeccable taste in all things. John was her favorite Beatle and for basically the same reasons you've mentioned ;)

Lennon is my least favorite. He was a self-absorbed, narcissistic

individual who saw himself as the intellectual of the group.

PS: George Martin, the 5th Beatle, had a tremendous influence

on the band.

Jake in the Heartland

Ah, c'mon now Jake..."All I am saying, is...ahem...give John a chance"!

(...and don't just dislike the guy JUST because I have a feelin' you didn't care for his politics...that really IS it, isn't IT?!...now fess up now, dude!) ;)

Neither Fred nor I are enthusiastic about honoring the Beatles 50th anniversary in the U.S. In my case, it's because I like the Stones more. In Fred's case, it's because he likes Lawrence Welk more.

C'mon now, finance. Don't you really think that despite the fact you like Mick and the boys more than the Fab Four, you'd have to admit that cultural significance which The Beatles had upon American culture, i.e. being the "vanguard" of the British Invasion and their subsequent effect upon certain appearance styles AND even life styles, AND the fact that yes, they DID make a few movies which some people look upon as just a little "ground breaking" in style(would not the Monkee's TV show and how it mimicked the Beatle's movies be just one aspect of this?) than any "Musicals" which came before them?

And thus, if TCM COULD have attained the rights to show these movies, then it would not have been "against" TCM's "prime objective" to in fact present them?

(...I know you're just playin' the "devil's advocate" here, aren't ya) ;)

I guess I owe lavenderblue19, misswonderly, and the other gals out there an apology/explanation of sorts. When I heard the question of "Which Beatle would you like to be" I didn't think of it so much in terms of gender but of personality traits. I thought back to an episode of TV's Frazier and they were talking about psychoanalysis or whatever and using the four Beatles as a basis for self evaluation. "Which Beatle do you best identify with?" might have been the better question. The punch line of the bit was when Daphne (Jane Leeves) looks at Eddie the dog and suggests that he would be "George" , followed by her befuddled statement, "I don't know why"

I have always been a Paul girl, will be until the day I die :) George is my next favorite, with Ringo and John pulling up the rear ( in that order ).

Jake, my husband feels exactly the same way you do about John Lennon and it has nothing to do with his politics at all. And you are so right about George Martin. He is the true "5th Beatle". He is a fascinating man; so gifted and talented.

LOL- Mr. Roberts- I remember that episode of Frasier one of the finest and funniest TV shows I've ever had the pleasure to watch. Thanks for explaining and no apologies necessary. It was interesting to read which Beatle some of you guys would want to be like. (could have done without some of the other posts) by other posters. Thanks for posting :)

Could it have been the little known "fact" that George's first attempt at writing a certain song that supposedly he wrote while his trusty companion was lying next to him at his desk was originally titled: "My Sweet Dog"??? ;)

(...and which as the story ALSO goes, he wrote while the radio in his study was quietly playing "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons in the background?...doo lang, doo lang, doo lang!)

I should mention that on a purely musical basis George is my favorite. The recent documentary on him was very good.

Thank you mr6666 for mentioning the 2 hour special that will be airing on CBS on February 9. I have my DVR set to record it. I love the Beatles! :-) Thanks again!

It's hard to break up the songs on side two since they

sound so good one blending into the next.

It still ain't easy. :) Plus we four-eyes have to stick

together. I've read that Paul had problems getting the

drum part right. Ringo was not available at the time.

My favorite Beatle would be John. Politics aside, I always enjoyed the Lennon penned songs the best. They seemed more deep than a lot of Paul's love ballads. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a lot of Paul's songs as well. I thought John had a great voice too. I could listen to his scream from "Twist and Shout" all day.

If I were a Beatle, I think I would be Ringo. I don't really know why; but he always seems like he's having a great time and seems so laid back, doesn't take himself too seriously. I also love his clothes. Sparkly suits, sequins, everything.

I agree with everthing you say. Their cultural influence was profound. But there are still around 20 rock bands from the same era whose music I like better.

Funny but I was at another website where The Beatles were being discussed and it got ugly. Mostly Beatles fans getting upset if anyone dare say anything negative about the group. While The Beatles are my favorite rock band, from a musician's perspective there is a lot lacking especially in their early work. But their singing with John's unique voice and how they harmonized together was sheer magic.