Sign in to follow this  
untguy90

Younger People Attending Festival? What to Expect?

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have been a longtime lurker of the TCM message boards and I finally signed up! Anyway I will be attending the festival for the first time ever and I'm really not sure what to expect. I am 23 years old and a college student from Texas and I LOVE classic movies, vintage styles, etc.

What is the typical age range of people attending? Not many of my friends enjoy watching classic movies, do you think there will be many younger people to talk or hang out with?

I am very excited about this but also a little nervous to be honest.

Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There truly are people of all ages at the film festival. I went to the 2011 and 2012 festivals and was impressed with the wide range of ages. As someone who hasn't seen 23 in, uh, quite some time, I was very pleased to see younger people there who had an interest in classic films.

I went on my own both times and had no problem talking with people of all sorts of ages. My family and friends will be the first to tell you that standing in line is not one of my strong suits, and yet the time just flew by because I was talking to those around me, whether they were with other people or by themselves. It's a real community feel. Chatting with people in line actually was one of the most fun aspects of the festival.

I've obviously no idea how comfortable you are striking up conversations with strangers, but to some extent, your fellow festival goers aren't total strangers. They're your "peeps," as they share the interest in classic films. When you walk from theatre to theatre, you'll see lots of people wearing the festival pass. Right there is your starting point for conversation ("what did you see?" "what are you going to see?").

TCM does a first-rate job with this festival .. you'll have a memorable experience, and you'll have a blast. Wolfie

>What is the typical age range of people attending? Not many of my friends enjoy watching classic movies, do you think there will be many younger people to talk or hang out with?

untguy,

No worries! There are lots of young people who travel from all over the country and all over the world to attend the Festival.

Did you know that TCM's largest demographic is between the ages of 18-48?

If you are not shy about striking up conversations (and please don't be), you will find them standing in line with you, sitting next to you in theaters, in Club TCM and probably in the elevators of your hotel.

One of the sweetest people who attended last year was a young college woman from Texas who frequents these message boards from time to time. She had a blast and charmed everyone she met.

So, don't be afraid to talk to people. All Festival goers have lanyards with their badges and wear them around their necks in addition to the carrying Festival bags, wearing tee-shirts, etc. They are not hard to spot!

I wrote about the things to do if you arrive prior to the beginning of the Festival as well as what to expect while at the Fest. You can read about it here:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=172504&tstart=0

The most important thing is to have fun and you will be surprised at how easy that is. Remember, we are all there because we love movies and we love TCM so you should feel right at home!

There are people of all ages at the festival, just don't be afraid to talk to your neighbors in line and at the screenings. I haven't seen 23 in quite a while either and so 2 years ago, at the 2012 festival, I was unsure about talking to the two twenty-something guys sitting next to me at a screening of "The Scarlet Empress." I finally said hello, though, and we had a wonderful conversation. And I think they knew more about the movies than I did! Have a great time!