Sign in to follow this  
classicsstarlets

JUNE SCHEDULE IS UP

19 posts in this topic

Thanks for the head's up classicstarlet, Looks like Rock Hudson is the Star of the Month on Thursday's in June.

Some fun motifs that month too. From 60's Rock acts in film to a Fri.the 13th spook and eerie fest.

Another highlight for me is Gene Wilder as guest programmer on June 17. The four films he's selected are: *Random Harvest* (1942), *The Merry Widow* (1934), *Witness for the Prosecution* (1957), and *Dark Victory* (1939)

For me the big news is seeing FACE OF FIRE on the schedule. I've requested it a number of times. I haven't seen it in 48 years.

Face of Fire!!

I can't believe TCM has gotten hold of this lost classic! It has never had any kind of home release. I wonder if I can set my recorder this far in advance?

As soon as I saw that title, I leapt to post about it. Now that I've finished reading the schedule I'm further stoked about a couple of other treasures - the two best (my opinion) Rock Hudson movies ever - Frankenheimer's eerie 'Seconds' (1966) and the offbeat (especially for Rock) Roger Vadim naughty - 'Pretty Maids All in a Row' (1971).

A very entertaining and satirical look at vaudeville, directed by William Friedkin no less, from 1968 - 'The Night They Raided Minsky's' - which features Bert Lahr in his final movie.

And Sidney Lumet's 'The Pawnbroker'. Powerful stuff.

I'm surprised that PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW is being aired prior to midnight.

June looks like it'll be a great month. I'm especially excited about the birthday tribute to my boyfriend Errol Flynn.

I am also happy with the SOTM selection. I like Rock Hudson. I think one his best roles was him appearing as himself on an episode of "I Love Lucy."

I noted that the entry for A Hard Day's Night doesn't include Ringo Starr. Nice to finally see The Pawnbroker as well as several Rene Clair movies.

Two casualties of the sailing of the Good Ship Lollipop in March resurface on June 1-2:

Cossacks (1928)

Nine Days of One Year (1964)

A third casualty, And Then There Were None (1945), is still missing, even with a full evening of Rene Clair on June 18. Perhaps because, according to TCMDb, Ren? Clair and Rene Clair are two different people.

Pretty Maids All in a Row is listed as starting 10 minutes before the end of the previous feature. Hopefully, the schedule will be realigned, rather than the Maids.

Charley's Aunt (1941), preempted due to rights issues during Mr. Osborne's introduction on May 19, 2012, for an awful print of the 1930 Charlie Ruggles version, is listed on June 28 during an evening of Jack Benny.

Edited by: PhygLeGuy on Mar 4, 2014 11:57 PM

Just when I thought this may be the worst month ever, with whitebread supreme Rock Hudson cluttering up the schedule (worst choice since Esther Williams and Mickey Rooney), along comes two great Jeanne Moreau movies to the rescue on the 15th. Of course they're being shown back-to-back in the middle of the night, but with a bit of luck I won't wake up to find one of those Emergency Test announcements right in the middle of the picture:

*2:00 AM*

*Lovers, The (1959)*

*A married woman bored with her life decides to escape.*

*Dir: Louis Malle Cast: Jeanne Moreau , Alain Cuny , Jean-Marc Bory .*

*BW-89 mins,*

*3:45 AM*

*Elevator to the Gallows (1958)*

*A businessman kills his boss to cover up his affair with the man's wife.*

*Dir: Louis Malle Cast: Jeanne Moreau , Maurice Ronet , Georges Poujouly .*

*BW-91 mins, Letterbox Format*

Elevator to the Gallows is one of the greatest French noirs ever, but The Lovers is the film that put Jeanne Moreau on the map. If it's not a TCM premiere, it hasn't been shown in many years, and I'm excited to be able finally to see it.

And then on the 18th there's this, which I've never even heard of before:

*3:45 PM*

*Jump Into Hell (1955)*

*This film reenacts the battle of Dien Bien Phu, focusing on the struggles of the French troops stationed in Vietnam.*

*Dir: David Butler Cast: Jack Sernas , Kurt Kaszner , Arnold Moss .*

*BW-92 mins,*

and that's followed by an entire evening of classic French films, something I can't recall ever having been done. That'll make up for all those Pillow Talks, etc. And in fact the entire second half of the month is absolutely terrific, which proves once again that TCM is like the weather: If you don't like it today, there's always tomorrow. :)

Face of Fire (1959)

A local handyman saves a child in a fire, but the burns he receives disfigure his face so much that the townspeople avoid him.

Dir: Albert Band Cast: Cameron Mitchell , James Whitmore , Bettye Ackerman .

BW-79 mins,

When I read about Rock Hudson as Star of the Month, I got a little excited, because there are some interesting movies we rarely see, like "The Spiral Road" (w/ Burl Ives and Gena Rowlands) and "This Earth is Mine" (w/ Jean Simmons, Dorothy McGuire and Claude Rains). But, reading the line-up, I can't help feeling that TCM could have dug deeper. Yeah, I know, there are lots of things we don't know about like rights issues, availability, etc., but I'm still disappointed. Instead, we get one whole night (out of four) with nothing but the sex romps. Show of hands: who REALLY feels like they haven't had a chance to see these recently? I LOVE the Douglas Sirks and it's like getting a free box set in one evening, but they're by no means "unseen". There's a very rare melodrama called "Never Say Goodbye", which has been requested by lots of people in the TCMdb. Granted, his early Universal stuff was pretty interchangeable with Tony Curtis', but it would be fun to see an early "Arabian" or western epic. The feeling I get from this lineup is that he was considered a minor enough star to not be worth the effort of going all-out. Even if he wasn't huge in the overall pantheon of Hollywood stars, the point is that once you've made the choice to feature him, you should go big and do the homework.

p.s. "Twilight of the Gods" w/ Cyd Charisse is another no-show.

Edited by: DougieB on Mar 5, 2014 9:57 AM

I find the schedule to be excellent! It is the mix of genres and styles which has movies for every person. I like that the Rock Hudson and Doris Day movies are in one night as they will not be potholes in the schedule for those who do not like them and it will be a glorious sugar-rush for those who are in the mood for light-hearted entertainment.

I wish to alert all to one listing which I fear is easy for your eyes to pass over as you are not familiar with the title or director or stars. It is: *Nine Days of One Year* (1962). I find this movie stunning on many levels.

I am in a jumble trying to think of how to describe its subtle complexities and simple ways. They are people who must balance their love for their work with the knowledge that it can kill them with ease and that it is a great danger to mankind The movie shows also that noble minds and intense dedication are subject to the whims of forbidden love.

I am sure there are those who will claim this movie is propaganda but I know it is true to life in large part as I knew several people in that work who were of that noble nature.

It is made by Mikhail Romm who directed also: *Girl 217* (1944) and who produced: *The Forty-first* (1956) which is so powerful and lovely a movie that I included it in my TCM Programming Challenge entry.

I am happy to see Mosfilm movies appearing on TCM as it is one of the world's largest movie studios and its library has much to offer those who are willing to look beyond Hollywood for entertainment.

To have the evening of Bastille Day devoted to five Rene Clair films, and to have all three of Kieslowski's Three Colors films shown back to back: wow!

Also scheduled on June 29, for the first time in several years, is Carol Reed's wonderful fable A Kid for Two Farthings. A boy in the East End of London, hoping his father will return from WWII, buys a unicorn (actually a goat with only one horn). Celia Johnson plays his mother, Diana Dors looks stunning, and there's a great feeling for the community. Realistic, romantic, funny, sad.

finance, you'll be pleased that daytime on June 30 is devoted to Susan Hayward. That should make a lot of us happy.

Note to self: the Rene Clair films are scheduled on June 18, which is definitely not Bastille Day. Still, that should be an enjoyable evening.

Sam Peckinpah tribute on June 11, Ida Lupino tribute on June 12, and for hard-core noir fans, an evening of Lawrence Tierney films on June 25.

> To have the evening of Bastille Day devoted to five Rene Clair films,

I didn't know they moved Bastille Day to June. :-p

Some highlights:

6.01: GENE TIERNEY; CARY GRANT & HOWARD HAWKS

6.02: JUNE HAVER & JUNE HAVOC; BRITISH INVASION

6.03: TONY CURTIS; THE FINAL FRONTIER

6.04: ROSALIND RUSSELL; URSULA ANDRESS

6.05: HOWARD KEEL; SOTM ROCK HUDSON

6.06: BRIDES IN JUNE; PIRATE PICTURES

6.07: WILD BILL ELLIOTT; ON THE DOCKS

6.08: LIVE ACTION WITH ANIMATION

6.09: RICHARD HARRIS