Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

THE BROOD (1979)

19 posts in this topic

What do people think about this film? I think it's one of the smartest, most sharply defined horror films to come out of the 1970s. Unlike a lot of other horror films that seem to hide behind ambiguous plot points-- THE BROOD comes across very direct in its theme about a mother who would control her offspring in the most vengeful ways possible.

Samantha Eggar is quite effective in this picture.

>One of Cronenberg's scariest creations-those mutant kids are nightmarish

I agree, Joe.

I read a comment that the scene where it looks like she is eating her young was originally intended as having her lick the fetus clean. But the censors demanded cuts that ironically made it look much more gruesome and vile than Cronenberg had in mind.

The only time I ever saw this movie was the night after my college graduation on HBO.  I thought it was pretty corny, but it creeped me out nonetheless!  As much as I wanted to change the channel...I just couldn't do it!

My wife was transfixed by this movie. She would rarely say anything about the movies I brought home, but this made her say she'd found it really interesting because she couldn't figure out where the movie was going or what was going to happen.

Whenever Samantha Eggar's name is mentioned, this is the movie that first comes to my mind. Her most bizarre role.

Whenever Samantha Eggar's name is mentioned, this is the movie that first comes to my mind. Her most bizarre role.

Yes, it is certainly a far cry from lighter fare like WALK, DON'T RUN.  Isn't it? :)

Yes, it is certainly a far cry from lighter fare like WALK, DON'T RUN.  Isn't it? :)

TopBilled:   Above it says 12:48 PM but in the 'view' listing it says 5:47 PM.    Do you know why?    Of course it can't be Today,  and 5:47 PM unless the time is set based on your local time and your somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic ocean!

Hey,  I see that it added 5 hours to my post in the view listing also!

Edited by jamesjazzguitar

TopBilled:   Above it says 12:48 PM but in the 'view' listing it says 5:47 PM.    Do you know why?    Of course it can't be Today,  and 5:47 PM unless the time is set based on your local time and your somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic ocean!

Hey,  I see that it added 5 hours to my post in the view listing also!

Sorry to say (happy to say?) I am not in the middle of the Atlantic.  LOL  I have no idea about the time stamp errors.  Maybe you should contact one of the mods so they can let the tech support team check it out.

Go to 'My Settings'.

In the section for 'Time Zone', click on the box and choose from the dropdown the time zone you're in.

Click 'Save Changes' at the bottom of the page.

I was introduced to the film last year when I took a horror film course and nearly died of laughter when a male student next to me cringed in disgust and turned away as the mother cleaned the new one in the brood.  It was a bizarre film and the ending made me wonder if the "normal" child was affected.

I was introduced to the film last year when I took a horror film course and nearly died of laughter when a male student next to me cringed in disgust and turned away as the mother cleaned the new one in the brood.  It was a bizarre film and the ending made me wonder if the "normal" child was affected.

I'd be curious to know what your instructor said about the film. Care to relay any comments...?

We discussed an essay from The Dread of Difference in which McLarty states that "scientific experiments on women's bodies results in consequences that have to do with the female body as a site of disgust than with male science as a source of horror".  There is also "a projection of evil and revulsion onto the female body" as she creates the brood and makes them carry out her orders in anger.  The "eruption" of her body causes disgust towards the end. 

Another author (Wood) makes the point that the ultimate dread in films like these is of "women usurping the active, agresive role that patriarchal idiology assigns to the male".  She is the one in full control of her body (in creation) and purpose of the children to carry out evil desires.  In the end we resent her more than the scientist using her for experiments.

We discussed an essay from The Dread of Difference in which McLarty states that "scientific experiments on women's bodies results in consequences that have to do with the female body as a site of disgust than with male science as a source of horror".  There is also "a projection of evil and revulsion onto the female body" as she creates the brood and makes them carry out her orders in anger.  The "eruption" of her body causes disgust towards the end. 

Another author (Wood) makes the point that the ultimate dread in films like these is of "women usurping the active, agresive role that patriarchal idiology assigns to the male".  She is the one in full control of her body (in creation) and purpose of the children to carry out evil desires.  In the end we resent her more than the scientist using her for experiments.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I am assuming Wood is Robin Wood. 

I think there's a bit more going on than just the 'disgust' part of it. First, it is as Wood says that women who control their own reproduction are seen as evil (the drama surrounding abortion or pro-life, but what type of life). Also, in this case, the director had serious issues with his ex-wife, so his disgust is really his not so thinly disguised anger at the power his ex had over his children. So it works like a post-divorce fable too.

I haven't seen it since it came out. I thought it was one of the better than average pictures of the genre that came out in the 70's. Art Hindle's reactions I recall were especially good. I wasn't yet 15 when it came out, but I still liked it. Would love to see it again.

13 hours ago, ChaplinsWolf said:

I haven't seen it since it came out. I thought it was one of the better than average pictures of the genre that came out in the 70's. Art Hindle's reactions I recall were especially good. I wasn't yet 15 when it came out, but I still liked it. Would love to see it again.

It's airing on Friday April 13th on TCM. I think it's a premiere for the channel.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/69783/Brood-The/

• Thanks 1

I think it was on TCM several months ago along with RABID in a late time slot.  Either way, it's worth checking out and it's a part of Cronenberg's "body horror" films.  I still want TCM to show THEY CAME FROM WITHIN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2018 at 6:03 PM, ChristineHoard said:

I think it was on TCM several months ago along with RABID in a late time slot.  Either way, it's worth checking out and it's a part of Cronenberg's "body horror" films.  I still want TCM to show THEY CAME FROM WITHIN.

They Came from Within is a wild film. Cronenberg's early films are the best, shame he got big bucks later on, it made his movies too slick.

The Brood is really nervous making!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swithin said:

They Came from Within is a wild film. Cronenberg's early films are the best, shame he got big bucks later on, it made his movies too slick.

The Brood is really nervous making!

Yes, it seems a lot of directors' most interesting work is early in their careers before they go more "mainstream."