Sign in to follow this  
gamblepuddy

Movies edited/altered

10 posts in this topic

Was just reading a post on another site that was discussing the TCM showing of "No Blade of Grass" this week. Apparently, a couple of scenes were cut or edited and at least one instance of the mighty F-word was "bleeped". I for one would prefer that TCM show only movies that they can present completely uncut and unaltered (an exception being features of which no complete print exists, of course). I don't mind at all if TCM stays away from racier type movies, but if they do opt to play a film, I wish they'd play it uncut and un-bleeped. I wish you wonderful guys and dolls would share your opinions on this.

That's a little surprising. I know TCM has shown Raging Bull a few times and the f-word is not bleeped out. Maybe the print they showed was already censored prior to their leasing of the film. I didn't watch it so I don't know.

The TCM Programmer addressed this issue a few months back regarding the edited version of the Warren Beatty movie REDS that was shown. The Programmer went on to say that when they lease a movie they sometimes receive the edited version by mistake. I can tell you that the F-bombs were flying last night when I watched A Hero Ain't Nothing But A Sandwich on TCM.

Gamblepuddy, TCM has the reputation for maintaining the integrity of the movies they show. If it was originally wide-screen, they will show it in letter box. If it's a long movie, they will make time for it. If it contains profanity, they will not go out of there way to sanitize it. If there is a PC issue, they are not afraid to air it. If these things are important to you, you have little to fear. Enjoy!

Hi, Ive been reading the past posts about if TCM should allow cursing, nudty ect. Do you all want TCM to become another AMC {American Movies Classic} station. AMC badly edits ALL there films. Every 8-10 minutes breaks into a commerial. I was a loyal watcher of AMC till the station changed there format. We all should get down on our knees, and thank TCM for showing there films {free of charge} uncut, and unedited. If cursing, or nudity offends you then change the channel. Oh and bye the way I don't work for TCM LOL. I'll await replys. Sincerly, Larry. P.S. Please excuse my spelling.

yep - this was a mistake; we will make sure to play the right one the next time, but somebody must have pulled the wrong version

I apologize; we never intentionally play an edited version of anything

That's great news!! I'll look forward to that. I hope I didn't come across as an unhappy camper because I think TCM is absolutely fantastic and it is by far my most-viewed channel. Keep up the great work!

Contrarian Warning!!!

I've dropped enough F-Bombs and worse to destroy the world a thousand times over. That's enough! I'd rather read lips and listen to the bizarre stuff substituted for the F-Bombs.

And there's nothing worse than the F-Bomb as a cheap device to score some nervous giggles from the cube rats in the audience. Summary excision's too good for them.

When you say "badly edited" I think you are sugarcoating it.

One of the last movies I watched on TCM ages ago, was Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train". At the part where the [oops, spoilers ahead!] merry-go-round goes beserk and starts speeding up, AMC apparently also decided to speed up the movie to make a photo finish, and I could barely watch the action. I then recalled that during the film, certain action scenes had seemed to run at an alarming rate of speed, that would rival the Keystone Kops programmers.

But at least they had the excuse of using different sprocket hole distances, which made their films look so full of alacrity.

Another thing on AMC and other stations of its ilk, is when they compress the credits to the side of the screen, so that they can get their cockamamie ads for coming trash on, or when they talk over all the end credits music.

Well, that's my beef, and TCM does none of the above so they are tops in my book!

Hi Therealfuster, Lol you may be right I'am sugarcoating what I think of AMC. If I truly wrote what I think of AMC I would get booted off this site very quickly. So I have to sugarcoat LOL. Larry