Sign in to follow this  
ERROL23

Desperate(1947)

6 posts in this topic

Steve Randall(Steve Brodie)an ex WW2 hero is married to Anne(Audrey Long)and owns a small trucking service.

Gangster Walt Radak(Raymond Burr)and his gang are planning a fur robbery.Walts kid brother Al(Larry Nunn)insists on going along.

Walt calls Steve and tells him he wants to rent his truck.Steve goes along not knowing what the gang are up to.When Steve finds out he refuses to have anything to do with it.Steve escapes and during the robbery Al shoots a cop and is put on trial for murder.

Steve and Anne go through a series of adventures hiding from the gang and,the police,Walt hires Pete Lavitch(Douglas Fowley)a shifty private eye to find Steve and Anne.

Film Noir as good as it gets.

Steve Brodie. A guy who appears in a surprising number of movies (a lot of noirs) and he always plays a good part, however small that part may be. He didn't get too many opportunities to play a lead, I wish he had. Remember, he's Mitchum's detective partner in *Out Of The Past* until "Kathie" plugs him.

Another actor I always forget to mention when I list great male noir actors - Steve Brodie. Great he is, especially in "Desperate". It's a gem and a classic noir. It's got all the noir elements and holds you from the beginning to the end. Raymond Burr is about as tough and threatening as a noir actor ever got. The scene where the lamp sways and the characters light-up and then darken was a great touch.

2 hours ago, decojoe67 said:

Another actor I always forget to mention when I list great male noir actors - Steve Brodie. Great he is, especially in "Desperate". It's a gem and a classic noir. It's got all the noir elements and holds you from the beginning to the end. Raymond Burr is about as tough and threatening as a noir actor ever got. The scene where the lamp sways and the characters light-up and then darken was a great touch.

Agree it's one of my faves too. 

51 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Agree it's one of my faves too. 

Saw this for the first time in TCM's Summer of Darkness (if my memory is correct).   Yea, a well made RKO noir.  Good to see Brodie get a starring role and of course we have Burr as the heavy.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Saw this for the first time in TCM's Summer of Darkness (if my memory is correct).   Yea, a well made RKO noir.  Good to see Brodie get a starring role and of course we have Burr as the heavy.  

Its got some fantastic visual sequences, the swining lamp, and  the faceoff against the clock.