FIRST A GIRL
VICTOR/VICTORIA
CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG
SO EVIL SO YOUNG
THE COOL ONES

NIGHT AND DAY
STARLIFT
THE WEST POINT STORY

"Everything I Have Is Yours" - Marge and Gower Champion were such an engaging and talented dance combo that you can only wish that they had made more starring films together.

Of the ones that I have seen with them, my favorite is the re-make of "Roberta", which was called "Lovely To Look At".

• Like 1

"Everything I Have Is Yours" - Marge and Gower Champion were such an engaging and talented dance combo that you can only wish that they had made more starring films together.

Of the ones that I have seen with them, my favorite is the re-make of "Roberta", which was called "Lovely To Look At".

I agree, they were fantastic. I like the one they did at Columbia with Betty Grable & Jack Lemmon (it was one of Grable's very last pictures)-- THREE FOR THE SHOW. It was a remake of TOO MANY HUSBANDS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_for_the_Show

• Like 1

I agree, they were fantastic. I like the one they did at Columbia with Betty Grable & Jack Lemmon (it was one of Grable's very last pictures)-- THREE FOR THE SHOW. It was a remake of TOO MANY HUSBANDS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_for_the_Show

Gower Champion's mounting of "Bye Bye Birdie" on Broadway was such a fantastic experience.

I have never been able to forget it.

It was far superior to the film version.

Gower Champion was a genuine musical talent.

Even his Broadway mounting of "Rock-a-bye Hamlet" stands tall, tall, tall in my memory.

I would really like to have known him.

David Merrick's announcement of Gower Champion's death on the opening night of "42nd Street" was such a disservice to a great man.

• Like 2

"Give A Girl A Break" - another Marge and Gower Champion vehicle - perfectly delightful - and with a better-than-average book for a musical by Albert Hackett and Francis Goodrich - lively production numbers, too - although the one with Bob Fosse and Debbie Reynolds in a firestorm of confetti has to be seen to be believed - directed by Stanley Donen - with choreography by Donen and Champion - should be better-known, I think.

• Like 1

"Give A Girl A Break" - another Marge and Gower Champion vehicle - perfectly delightful 

I enjoy this one, too. It doesn't air on TCM nearly enough.

• Like 1

I also love this movie.  Sad that most people hardly remember it. My favorite number is with the Champions dancing to a terrific orchestral arrangement on a rooftop.  I personally would have rather seen a better-known dancer instead of Helen Wood.  Perhaps Cyd or Vera-Ellen?

• Like 2

I also love this movie.  Sad that most people hardly remember it. My favorite number is with the Champions dancing to a terrific orchestral arrangement on a rooftop.  I personally would have rather seen a better-known dancer instead of Helen Wood.  Perhaps Cyd or Vera-Ellen?

My choice would be Vera-Ellen. She didn't make enough films as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

My choice would be Vera-Ellen. She didn't make enough films as far as I'm concerned.

I agree completely. Vera-Ellen was a great dancer, and she was very likeable on the screen. 

• Like 2

I agree completely. Vera-Ellen was a great dancer, and she was very likeable on the screen. 

I think TCM should give her a day in August for Summer Under the Stars. She doesn't really have enough films to be a Star of the Month-- but it would be perfect if they did a 24-hour celebration of her work in musicals.

• Like 2

"Broadway Melody of 1936" (1937) - very lively musical - first-rate book about the battle between a Broadway gossip columnist (Jack Benny) and a Broadway producer (Robert Taylor) and the young hopeful (Eleanor Powell) who gets caught in the middle - did you ever think that you would see an MGM musical in which Benny and Taylor went head to head? - lovely score by Nacio Herb Brown and Arthur Freed, including the unforgettable "You Are My Lucky Star" - sparkling cast that also includes Sid Silver (the book's co-writer), June Knight, and Nick Long, Jr., who is such a terrific dancer and the ineffable Buddy Ebsen.

broadwaymelody1936-6.jpg

• Like 3

"Scrooge" - the musical with Albert Finney - I truly appreciate the films of the director, Ronald Neame, but the Charles Dickens classic, so imaginative and unique, DOES NOT REALLY NEED MUSIC.

"Broadway Melody of 1938" - so-so musical, not up to the one that came before or the one that came after - great fun seeing Eleanor Powell and George Murphy as dance partners - and Robert Taylor's beauty was truly extraodinary.

• Like 1

"Broadway Melody of 1938" - so-so musical, not up to the one that came before or the one that came after - great fun seeing Eleanor Powell and George Murphy as dance partners - and Robert Taylor's beauty was truly extraodinary.

I feel George Murphy is vastly underrated. Since he made so many films at RKO and MGM, he'd be a natural for a Summer Under the Stars tribute (as these titles are in the TCM Library).

• Like 2

I feel George Murphy is vastly underrated. Since he made so many films at RKO and MGM, he'd be a natural for a Summer Under the Stars tribute (as these titles are in the TCM Library).

I couldn't agree more, and he is just so much fun - along with Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell - in "Broadway Melody of 1940".

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more, and he is just so much fun - along with Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell - in "Broadway Melody of 1940".

Surprisingly my favorite Duo tap dance in Broadway Melody of 40 is Don't Monkey with Old Broadway - - Danced by Fred Astaire and George Murphy.

Murphy holds his own with Astaire and doesn't seem intimidated or out-danced in the least.

They look like two hoofers having a good time doing a number that was just written for them by Cole Porter.

By contrast - - Fred Astaire's dancing with Eleanor Powell looks disjointed. In this one particular case, he allowed the lady to emphasize her style of tap dancing and not his. Probably because he never had worked with a female tap dancer who danced as well, if not better than he did. ( Although Rita Hayworth was very good.)

The other instance I'm thinking of is in The Bandwagon--when Fred does a duo soft shoe number with the famous English song and dance man Jack Buchanan-- I guess I'll have to change my plan. Reportedly Buchanan was scared to death to dance with Astaire and you can see like he really was sweating buckets during the number. Although it came off alright, he didn't look like he enjoyed it very much.

I grew up watching George Murphy dancing with Shirley Temple in Little Miss Broadway and he always impressed me as an elegant and accomplished dancer.

Reportedly he gave up dancing in the movies after losing so many in roles to Gene Kelly and seeing that he had no future in it.

So he decided to go into politics-- apparently convincing two of his old movie-star friends, whose careers also had hit a dead end, to go with him--Ronald Reagan and Shirley Temple.

• Like 2

Surprisingly my favorite Duo tap dance in Broadway Melody of 40 is Don't Monkey with Old Broadway - - Danced by Fred Astaire and George Murphy.

Murphy holds his own with Astaire and doesn't seem intimidated or out-danced in the least.

They look like two hoofers having a good time doing a number that was just written for them by Cole Porter.

By contrast - - Fred Astaire's dancing with Eleanor Powell looks disjointed. In this one particular case, he allowed the lady to emphasize her style of tap dancing and not his. Probably because he never had worked with a female tap dancer who danced as well, if not better than he did. ( Although Rita Hayworth was very good.)

The other instance I'm thinking of is in The Bandwagon--when Fred does a duo soft shoe number with the famous English song and dance man Jack Buchanan-- I guess I'll have to change my plan. Reportedly Buchanan was scared to death to dance with Astaire and you can see like he really was sweating buckets during the number. Although it came off alright, he didn't look like he enjoyed it very much.

I grew up watching George Murphy dancing with Shirley Temple in Little Miss Broadway and he always impressed me as an elegant and accomplished dancer.

Reportedly he gave up dancing in the movies after losing so many in roles to Gene Kelly and seeing that he had no future in it.

So he decided to go into politics-- apparently convincing two of his old movie-star friends, whose careers also had hit a dead end, to go with him--Ronald Reagan and Shirley Temple.

Yes, I thoroughly like him as a song-and-dance man.  In "Broadway Melody of 1940", he holds his own with Astaire and Powell. He ended up doing those promos for MGM.  They are constantly shown on TCM. 

Yes, I thoroughly like him as a song-and-dance man.  In "Broadway Melody of 1940", he holds his own with Astaire and Powell. He ended up doing those promos for MGM.  They are constantly shown on TCM. 

Those promos come from a TV series in the mid-50s called 'MGM Parade.' He did a whole season of episodes, where he hosted a look back at the studio's classic films and its new/upcoming releases. It was one of his last Hollywood jobs before he turned to politics full-time.

• Like 1

Those promos come from a TV series in the mid-50s called 'MGM Parade.' He did a whole season of episodes, where he hosted a look back at the studio's classic films and its new/upcoming releases. It was one of his last Hollywood jobs before he turned to politics full-time.

I was wondering why I couldn't remember them from going to the movies.

He seems to have done a lot of them.

• Like 1