Sign in to follow this  
markbeckuaf

Wow!!! Friday is pretty rocking too!!! Louis Wolheim!!! Dig it!!!

13 posts in this topic

Wow, thanks to the Louis Wolheim tribute, there are silents all morning into the afternoon!!! Right now ORPHANS OF THE STORM is wrapping up, and then it's the silent 1922 SHERLOCK HOLMES with Lionel Barrymore, coming up at 10:45am!!! Then it's my girl, Marie Prevost, in THE RACKET (1928) at 12:15pm!!! Silent fest!!!

And after the silent fest, it's early talkies fest with more Louis Wolheim, and I can totally dig on that!!!

At 1:45pm, it's THE SHIP FROM SHANGHAI from 1930, starring Conrad Nagel and Kay Johnson!! Then Evelyn Brent and Joel McCrea get it on in Alaska in THE SILVER HORDE, also from 1930!!! Then at 4:30pm, it's Jean Arthur, my main man Robert Armstrong, and Hugh Herbert in DANGER LIGHTS, another 1930 gem!!! And finally, up at 5:45pm is Louis with John Gilbert, Leila Hyams, Anita Page, and Marie Prevost in GENTLEMAN'S FATE from 1931!!! Woooohooooo!!!

Another totally rockin' day on TCM!!! Groovin' hard!!!

Glad you made a thread about this. It certainly is a different day of TCM programming. Usually we do not get all these silent films and talkies in one day.

Jean Arthur also appears in THE SILVER HORDE.

In fact, Jean is getting a morning of films on May 22. So THE SILVER HORDE and DANGER LIGHTS will be rebroadcast.

Thanks for the update! I only work a half day today so will try to catch the later ones.........

I'm glad you brought these films to our attention, because Louis Wolheim is way underrated, largely (I think) because he died in 1931 when sound pictures were just getting off the ground.

BTW for those who ever wondered about the origin of his signature boxer's nose, he got it playing football at Cornell. He also spoke German, French, Spanish and Yiddish, which further proves that first impressions can be deceptive.

Awesome day on TCM. I am one of those that was not familiar with him and I am truly enjoying these films. I know I've seen him before but for some reason he did not stand out to me until yesterday morning during "Sin Ship". I did wonder why his career seemed to end so abruptly. Did a little online research yesterday and was saddened to see he had died so young. THIS is why I love TCM. If it were not for them these movies would never see the light of day ( or rarely ever ). Bravo TCM, a great day of programming.

Top Billed,

I agree, it rocks!!!

Thanks for reminding me that Jean Arthur is also in THE SILVER HORDE, indeed she is! It's a pretty cool flick!

Andy, you're welcome!!! I'm grooving to the flix today!! DANGER LIGHTS is on right now and it's awesome!

Hibi, I hope you have been having a chance to catch some of these flix today?

I watched The Racket (9.5 on a 10 scale) and will catch Gentleman's Fate, and I'm recording the three in the middle. (The three earlier ones I recorded long ago.) I'm also looking forward to Big Night at 10:00 this evening, which I don't think I've ever seen before. This is definitely one of the highlight days of the month.

I just finished watching Danger Light. I was impressed not just by Wolheim, but also by Jean Arthur and the stunning cinematography of the railroads. I've always thought of early talkies as stagy, but this one was superb and moved along like "gangbusters." And how is it Jean Arthur wasn't recognized as a terrific actress even then? Robert Armstrong, who is the weak link in this one, is pretty wooden compared to her.

I couldn't sit through the Gilbert film afterwards. What a slog. I'm beginning to think that the problem wasn't Gilbert's voice, but just that he wasn't a very good actor. The movie is much more interesting when Louis Wolheim or Leila Hyams are on the scene.

Edited by: rosebette on Mar 28, 2014 6:41 PM

Since I didn't know who Wolheim was I made the mistake of not checking the scheule more closely. But I did turn to TCM and they were showing Danger Light. What is that Jean Arthur? Oh, my it is! Good little movie. Yea, Arthur could do it all.

markbecuaf, nothing much to rock or groove to today, and I'll be glad to see the back of the Mexican Spitfire (blech!) movies at 10:30, but He Walked By Night at 8:30 sounds like a nice little sleeper. Richard Basehart, you say? I know, right?

Check out the reviews here. Worst case, you can always turn it off.

***Hey mark, hope you're watching. Pretty cool-e-o. Lotta familiar faces, nice tight police procedural with venetian blind shadows.

Rock on!

markbecuaf, nothing much to rock or groove to today, and I'll be glad to see the back of the Mexican Spitfire (blech!) movies at 10:30, but He Walked By Night at 8:30 sounds like a nice little sleeper. Richard Basehart, you say? I know, right?

Check out the reviews here. Worst case, you can always turn it off.

***Hey mark, hope you're watching. Pretty cool-e-o. Lotta familiar faces, nice tight police procedural with venetian blind shadows.

Rock on!

Apparently no one watched, did you mark? Didja notice Jack Webb wore the same id bracelet way back in 1948? Cool, no?

Nice little movie, but next time Richard Basehart: steal a car.

Duh. :unsure: