notwanted

well: how do we feel about forthcoming "new and improved" message boards?

176 posts in this topic

>This could be traumatic for some people. I demand that TCM provide access to grief counselors.

Dr. Otternschlag: It's always the same. People come and people go. But nothing ever happens in the Grand Hotel.

>the first thing that came to my mind is "re-logging in." currently, my log in status expires after 20-30 minutes and i have to log in (or "refresh") all over again unless i am in the process of posting something on a message board.

I'm looking forward to the new message board. :P

But I just had a funny thought... sort of like a screwball comedy.... suppose all our names get mixed up in the system somewhere, and we wind up posting messages under other people's names. Ha, ha, ha, ha, what a mad house that would be. :P

Or, maybe the Twilight Zone scenario. Everyting and everyone disappears and it all winds up in a blank mystery spot that no one can find, somewhere in the South Indian Ocean, 1,500 miles West of Perth, Australia?

I hope CNN will give the search for us plenty of air time. :)

> My concern is if they will make all of the TCM Programming Challenges available.

My first concern was that even though LP extended the deadline for entry to the current challenge to April 5, now I have to make certain to finish my entry by the 31st. I presume that three-day outage is really a minimum. Upgrades never ever go anywhere near as smoothly as you think going in.

"Upgrading software is like a stagecoach ride in the old west. When you start, you are hoping for a pleasant trip. By the halfway point, you just hope to survive." :-)

>the first thing that came to my mind is "re-logging in." currently, my log in status expires after 20-30 minutes and i have to log in (or "refresh") all over again unless i am in the process of posting something on a message board.

I hate this and hope they get rid of it

>I am a progressive, so I always like improvement.

I am a conservative, and I also like improvement -- when it is improvement. Otherwise, when change is not necessary, it is necessary not to change.

But change is needed:

1. We need a preview function

2. Stop the automatic logging out

3. Make quoting and other functions easier.

What is the point of being divided into "Hot Topics" and "General Discussions"? Why not just one general board?

Dargo, that was absolutely hilarious ! One of the funniest and most creative posts you've ever written-or, in this case, "invented".

Hope, due to the upcoming changes, it isn't one of the last. (Hey, did I just feel a shock?)

I'm curious if TCM is doing an overhaul on all parts of the website, or whether they're just working on the message boards. I'm wondering if they will be fixing all the millions of problems with the Classic Film Union section that is riddled with so many problems that it renders that website basically unusable.

I personally don't mind the improvements they're planning-- I think it'll make the boards work better. Sometimes, I find these boards hard to navigate.

Thanks, MissW! I appreciate your kind words here, and hope everyone presently a member will be able make a smooth transition to the new system about to unfold.

However, and in the meantime, I might direct your attention your "inbox" up there, and of which after those kind words of yours to me in this open forum will almost assuredly make that little number to the right of said "inbox" and within parentheses increase, AND with most likely the main theme of those PMs being sent to you expressing similar thoughts and in the vein of:

"HEY! What the HELL are you DOING here, GIRL? DON'T encourage that guy! This whole change-over thing MIGHT be our last chance to get RID of that joker once and for all!!"

LOL

(...OUCH!!!...yep, they MUST BE testin' that new system out already!!!)

> So in other words, he is still bullying...? Hmmm.

You call it what you like. I call it talking straight.

>I'm curious if TCM is doing an overhaul on all parts of the website, or whether they're just working on the message boards. I'm wondering if they will be fixing all the millions of problems with the Classic Film Union section that is riddled with so many problems that it renders that website basically unusable.

speedracer,

The announcement seems focused on just the message boards and not the entire TCM site or the CFU.

Perhaps TCM Web's focus will move over to the CFU after the message boards are back up and running?

Hopefully the new and improved boards will be better able to defeat the spambots with the links to illegal downloads.

Hopefully it will be more user-friendly and visually clear...I am constantly trying to find the original post to any thread...is it page 5 or 1? And, sometimes I hit the button, "next" and it jumps to another thread. And, that Stay on page or leave page thing can go away since I've hit the wrong button before and lost my entry.

hamradio wrote:

Save the following emoticons to the Imported or Favorite browser tab. You then only need to copy and paste with exclamation marks. The emoticon list also needs to be restored to the as well.

The sad face had that apache tomcat listing and the angry face says it has no website. I got the other three in favorites. If anybody else has this problem you are not alone.

Ham,

These message boards debuted in 2002 as you found. There was an earlier version of these forums but you can only discover bits and pieces of them in the Wayback Machine.

I think the only original members that still post here are Moirafinnie, Mongo (who back in those days was called banzai) and sandykpax.

There is a great deal of good information in the archives and I hope if all goes well, all of the material will be migrated over.

I read so many different things yesterday, so maybe I am making this up-- but didn't it say that we can use an avatar on the updated site?

I am trying to decide on a suitable avatar, if that is the case...

Found the problem, its the string of *....* I placed after the link. Should had included a space. It should work now.

http://fun.resplace.net/Emoticons/Angry/Angry2.gif'>http://fun.resplace.net/Emoticons/Angry/Angry2.gif'>http://fun.resplace.net/Emoticons/Angry/Angry2.gif'>http://fun.resplace.net/Emoticons/Angry/Angry2.gif for angry Angry2.gif

http://forums.tcm.com/images/emoticons/cry.gif for crying cry.gif

I click on it and the link works. Here is the website if anyone's interested.

http://fun.resplace.net/Emoticons/

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 29, 2014 9:35 PM

TopBilled wrote:

<< I am trying to decide on a suitable avatar, if that is the case...>>

I think we know what Fred will be using. :)

334hyl3.jpg

For myself, not certain but I'm thinking...

0511-0810-3119-1760.jpg