notwanted

well: how do we feel about forthcoming "new and improved" message boards?

176 posts in this topic

hamradio: Found the problem, its the string of .... I placed after the link. Should had included a space. It should work now.

That did the trick. Thank you!

If only other problems could be solved so quickly. *TNT* was supposed to show the Florida-Dayton game tonight but all we got was a black screen. I had to go to Yahoo news to find out we are at last in the Final 4. Guess who's not real popular right now down here. *GO GATORS!*

That would be nice. The Classic Film Union could use the overall. Not to mention, the fixes of basic technical problems we have dealt with for the past two years and counting. If this is a new company, I am glad TCM listened to us.

If this new company does work on the CFU- I hope it will save existing media and profiles and let each and every member know before doing it- because we already have a couple of bunkers ready.

>Dargo wrote: Yeah, well, MY concern was THIS part of the announcement!:

>

>>New software will provide a deterrent to those included toward jocular sidetracking: We are also in the process of programming a new state-of-the-art system in which the usual jokers will receive a mild to moderate shock via their keyboards and depending on how bad their puns and other attempts at humor are as they hit the enter button.

>

>(...OUCH!!!...WHAT the...???!!!...geeez, they must ALREADY be testing this out NOW!!!)

h3. *Dargo2, your post should have a LIKE button!*

>I read so many different things yesterday, so maybe I am making this up-- but didn't it say that we can use an avatar on the updated site?

TB,

Yes, according to the announcement, posters will be able to have avatars.

>Yes, according to the announcement, posters will be able to have avatars.

Cameron will be SO happy to hear this!

(...I hear he gets a percentage for each and every one used since he inked that deal for that space movie version of "Dances With Wolves" he made)

I'm hoping for a sarcasm font to help folks understand my sense of humor.

From FilmSession

The game was broadcast on TBS. Are you living in a parallel universe?

TBS here is channel 23 and TNT is 33. The TV Guide has the game listed on TBS which was not broadcasting anything at the time. If I'm not living in that "parallel universe", they must be. Thank you anyway.

Good afternoon everyone.

Welcome aboard Flight TCM 1933. Our destination tonight is Skull Island, located in the beautiful Central Indian Ocean.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?mapurl=http%3A//toolserver.org/~para/cgi-bin/kmlexport?project=en%26article=Skull_Island

Our estimated flying time will be three days, so sit back, relax, and enjoy your cruise. See you when we arrive!

Fred, Your Friendly Pilot :)

What's going on? How come I can still access this site? I thought they said it would be closed as of 9 this morning.

I only came to the site today out of curiosity, to see what their "work in progress" sign looked like. And here it is still up and running. What an anti-climax.

Oh, wait a minute..."9:00 am Eastern Standard Time".

I'm on "Daylight Savings Time", so I guess it'll happen at 10 a.m., my time.

Anyway, seriously, nothing major should ever happen on April Fool's Day. It's unnerving.

The suspense is just killing me.

suspense.jpg

Hi. I'm back.   :)

You may want to visit the New Boards thread just below this one for the latest posts

After losing about a thousand posts, shouldn't you be younger now?

I should demand a specific accounting of every post I lost, and the reason.

• Like 1

Guest patfuls

Feels like I've been gone two years...

I must have taken close to 2 hours to figure out how to sign up.  Had to put a "1" after my name.  It was so confusing, you need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.  I venture to say there will be plenty of old posters who will give up and not bother to post anymore as they can't figure out how to even re-register.  The whole thing was very frustrating to say the least. :mellow:   Please, bring back the old boards.

I must have taken close to 2 hours to figure out how to sign up.  Had to put a "1" after my name.  It was so confusing, you need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.  I venture to say there will be plenty of old posters who will give up and not bother to post anymore as they can't figure out how to even re-register.  The whole thing was very frustrating to say the least. :mellow:   Please, bring back the old boards.

Signing back in was easy for me. Trying to get use to the new format and layout but getting use to it. :) Have to use the <Full Editor> to get the emoticons. 

So far signing back in was easy for me. Trying to get use to the new format and layout.

I didn't have any problem signing back in, either. Well, having to go through two steps that each sent a confirmation email was mildly annoying, but far less so than those cosmetic changes I've complained about multiple times already. (And, I suppose, the auto-censor. I haven't checked yet if it will censor part of Alfred Hitchcock's name. I remember a board that actually did.)

Of course, I actually made certain I had a valid email address with this account.

I will reserve judgment  till a little more time elapses. Some of the new

features are great but I flat out don't like the set-up to post pictures and

threads with many you tubes take a long time to make a post.

The old board will be missed by many.

Jake in the Heartland

• Like 1

Personally, I don't mind the new boards.  I re-established my account at work, using my computer to register and my Gmail on my phone to access the email and my log in credentials quickly.  The temporary credentials were crazy, so that was the first change I made.  For me anyway, the instructions were straight forward and easy to follow. 

I like the new layout and the extra features in the text box.  I also appreciate the quoting function being easier and I think the message boards are easier to navigate.  There are still things here and there that I'm noticing and trying to figure out.  The only con right now I can see is that the "bad word filter" is out of control; but I can see that the administrators are trying to fix it.  Seeing that I don't typically lace my vocabulary (written or verbal) with expletives, it's not a big deal.  I laughed though when I saw: ***** Sellers and ***** O'Toole on one of the threads. 

My favorite feature right now is hands down, the auto save feature.  As someone who tends to be verbose, a few times the old board was frustrating because I would type out something lengthy, or, I would get sidetracked while replying to something, and when I hit "submit" it would time out and send me back to the message board.  I found that hitting the back button would bring you right back to your text; but it was still annoying.  Having already typed out something wordy and then accidentally hitting a button on my toolbar and temporarily losing everything I had written, I tested out the "view saved content" link and everything came back.  Thank you TCM. 

EDIT: Apparently 'p-a-s-s-w-o-r-d' is part of the "bad words filter," thus, I substituted "credentials." Haha.

Edited by speedracer5
  • Like 1

having to go through two steps that each sent a confirmation email was mildly annoying, 

I suspect the two-step process is an anti-spam feature. Spammers need to post on as many websites as possible because the return from each one is very small. Making them establish a valid e-mail account, find a link in one e-mail and copy a credentials word from a different e-mail increases significantly the amount of time it takes to establish a user account. This makes the forum far less attractive to spammers. I feel that the inconvenience is worth the while if it means having less spam on the board. 

I am very happy that one feature of the new board is that this new board does not require a separate sign-in for each visit. I found that having to click on the icon and wait for the system to recognize me was very inconvenient.

• Like 2