notwanted

well: how do we feel about forthcoming "new and improved" message boards?

176 posts in this topic

I like some of the changes, and l know I will have to adjust to the other ones.  

But generally I like change, and this is just more change.  I can adapt.  I do like the YouTube links.  The new method is elegant, and no more diverting off the posts.  Call me happy!   :D 

The new system has more sophisticated text formatting capability. The old system was

hit or miss when it came to the Bold feature; sometimes it took, sometimes not. Underline

didn't always work and the italic feature almsot never worked, just displayng stupid looking

+'s before and after the word!

Adding a spell check feature would be nice!

As for visuals, the ability to embed a video, instead of displaying a long, clunky looking text

link is a huge leap forward! Posting pictures used to require the use of before and after

exclamation marks. (Links needed brackets.) Eliminating the need for these non-intuitive

protocols help reduce a lot of user confusion. How many people used to post, asking how to

do those things before!

The ability to access your older threads is nice. So is the preview feature!

What disappointments I have, I hope are just technical glitches that will be corrected.

• Like 1

Thelma Todd wrote:  What disappointments I have, I hope are just technical glitches that will be corrected.

Watch out for the number of likes you give... apparently, there is a limit to enjoying it here.  

How do I change the "Advanced Member" designation on my profile pic? I've looked everywhere and can't find it.  I'm sure it's in an obvious place. 

Click on your user name at the top of this page, right hand side.

In the dropdown menu choose 'My Settings'.

General Account Settings page comes up.

Scroll down to 'Profile Information' - type in the box the title you wish to appear above your avatar.

Click 'Save Changes' at the bottom.

Okay, I did go in there.  It's weird, I apparently don't have the option to change my title? I'm looking and looking and there is no where to change it.  I can add a birthday, location, interests, change my about me, add all kinds of screen names for things I haven't used since high school; but I don't see anywhere to change my title.

I even switched to a different browser to see if it was some compatiblity issue.  No.  It's still the same.  I guess I'll ask the Administrators and see what I'm doing wrong.

Speedracer,

Sure you can change it. I changed mine to a quote from a movie. See

above my picture on the left side of this post.

Go to MY SETTINGS and then go to the box that says MEMBER TITLE

and type in a few words, then save your changes.

Speedracer,

Sure you can change it. I changed mine to a quote from a movie. See

above my picture on the left side of this post.

Go to MY SETTINGS and then go to the box that says MEMBER TITLE

and type in a few words, then save your changes.

Like I was able to do with my avatar!

I will reserve judgment  till a little more time elapses. Some of the new

features are great but I flat out don't like the set-up to post pictures and

threads with many you tubes take a long time to make a post.

The old board will be missed by many.

Jake in the Heartland

Actually Jake, I think as time goes by many more people will tend to gorget about the old message boards and will start to get used to the new and improved ones. With as many upgrades that have been made to these boards, even the small inconveniences like not being able to do certain things like picture and you-tube hosting taking longer might just prove to be glitches for now.

As with anything that is new there needs to be an adjustment period of time much like when a new Navy warship is taken to sea for the first time. As Scotty said in Star Trek the Motion Picture (1979) "She needs more work! A shakedown"!

We need all to be patient and I am sure that when Monday rolls around the technicians will be hard at work trying to figure out ways to make things go smoother around here. One of the new things I like is being able to post an avatar like the Silver Screen Oasis allows. Only here you can also apply a title above the avatar, in my case as well with others you can pretty much type in anything such as a quote. This is cool. Plus the way that they have allowed us to edit messages.

They have taken their time to figure out things. I have already sent them a short list of suggestions. Hopefully they will be able to make those changes, and if not at least they can now see what could be changed.

Actually Jake, I think as time goes by many more people will tend to gorget about the old message boards and will start to get used to the new and improved ones. With as many upgrades that have been made to these boards, even the small inconveniences like not being able to do certain things like picture and you-tube hosting taking longer might just prove to be glitches for now.

As with anything that is new there needs to be an adjustment period of time much like when a new Navy warship is taken to sea for the first time. As Scotty said in Star Trek the Motion Picture (1979) "She needs more work! A shakedown"!

Hi Rey,

Your point is a good one but I have noticed a lot of old timers have yet

to show themselves.

I have acclimated myself to the new photo posting and can live with it.

I have noticed it is very slow to post you tubes but the embedded feature

is a definite plus.

Also, the entire deletion of the Hot Topics was a mistake in my estimation.

There were some threads that go way back with a lot of views and replies.

Hope there might be some re-evaluation regarding some of the very popular

threads on Hot Topics to bring them back.

In time, I am sure we will learn how to use all the features that are now here.

Best.

The mystery is solved! I asked the TCM Moderator and they informed me that you have to have at least 500 posts before you gain the ability to change the title above your avatar.  After this post, I'll need to post 24 more times and then I'll be able to change it.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad it wasn't just me that was too dense to find it.  Lol.

So far I'm fine with the boards but it will take some time to get use to it.

One thing I noticed;  I long on using the CFU community.   My old log-in still works the same (same old password),   but one gets an error is one clicks on 'message boards' from the CFU site.

If one uses message boards from the TCM site everything is fine,  BUT when logging off one has to sign out twice.  Once from the TCM site and again from the CFU site.    Under the old system if one logged out under EITHER system one was logged off of BOTH systems. 

KInda odd that I'm an advanced member in one regard but not advanced enough to change my member title. I'm getting dizzy.

KInda odd that I'm an advanced member in one regard but not advanced enough to change my member title. I'm getting dizzy.

I just figured out how to change mine.    Go to edit profile (after going to the top right and entering 'profile') and you will see that one can make changes to what is displayed.

I laughed though when I saw: ***** Sellers and ***** O'Toole on one of the threads. 

I'm surprised they allow "Advanced Member."

I just figured out how to change mine.    Go to edit profile (after going to the top right and entering 'profile') and you will see that one can make changes to what is displayed.

Yes, that feature is available only for members who have 5,000 or more posts. I have a ways to go. 

wish someone would collect all the instructional posts in these threads and put them under the'stickies' thread so they'd be easier to find

B)

Yes, that feature is available only for members who have 5,000 or more posts. I have a ways to go. 

500!

wish someone would collect all the instructional posts in these threads and put them under the'stickies' thread so they'd be easier to find

B)

I started one in the Stickie Forum. I'll keep adding to it as I find more info!

• Like 1

Not even Inspector Gadget-type enhancements?

Inspector_gadget-8970605.jpg

Well my wife would approve of a Mr. Gadget enhancement.    She is from Italy and he is really big over there (or was when she was growing up during the 80s).   I didn't know who he was until I meet her. 

• Like 1

We're allowed to say "really big"?

It would appear so.    I just got back from my hike and was thinking about this;  I've decided I'm going to just use Richard since the 4 letter name associated with Richard is a banned word.     e.g.  Nixon was a richard.     

• Like 1