notwanted

well: how do we feel about forthcoming "new and improved" message boards?

176 posts in this topic

Took me several days of trying to gain access under my "old" name.  Had to post with temp name iLurk to get help from mod.  Maybe other "oldies" in same boat...

I rarely post, but often lurk.  Think first post was way back when TCM was abandoning big dish satellite.  Or maybe it was when they had the "kid show" host for Essentials Jr.

Anyhow, only thing that really bugs me is that the most recent message is top posted.  Really hard to read a thread, particularly one that's multi-page.  Super pain to scroll up to read messages, arrive at the top of the page, select previous page, then have to scroll all the way to the bottom to continue.  And a real delight if a message is "taller" than a displayed "window".

finance said:

the new boards certainly function more efficiently.

Unless one likes to use Internet Explorer. Whenever I want to quote or paste I have to change browsers, then return to my preference afterwards. This often has required multiple sign-ins.

Took me several days of trying to gain access under my "old" name.  Had to post with temp name iLurk to get help from mod.  Maybe other "oldies" in same boat...

I rarely post, but often lurk.  Think first post was way back when TCM was abandoning big dish satellite.  Or maybe it was when they had the "kid show" host for Essentials Jr.

Anyhow, only thing that really bugs me is that the most recent message is top posted.  Really hard to read a thread, particularly one that's multi-page.  Super pain to scroll up to read messages, arrive at the top of the page, select previous page, then have to scroll all the way to the bottom to continue.  And a real delight if a message is "taller" than a displayed "window".

Posts from Dargo, under ANY name, would be instantly recognizable.

I'm getting a laugh out of the fact that on the old board there would

be 15 0r 20 members and then 500 or so guests. Now there are

30 or 40 guests.

This is a minor point, but on the old board, you often had to click

to page 2 on the General Discussions board to see all the posts

for the day. Now you don't. The new setup is okay, it will just take

some time to get used to it. I noticed that Wiki has also changed its

font size, making it much easier to read.

The new boards may be great, but if we've lost some of our best posters, what good are they?

Are you referring to the boards or the posters?

I'm getting a laugh out of the fact that on the old board there would

be 15 0r 20 members and then 500 or so guests. Now there are

30 or 40 guests.

I'm wondering what the difference is between a "guest" and an "anonymous user."

I believe a "guest" can be accompanied by a name, while an "anonymous user" shows no name.

In the previous incarnation of these Boards, a registered member who was not signed in was referred to as a "Guest"

Perhaps that is still a "Guest" and a non-registered viewer is "Anonymous User"

I cannot say for sure if these that apply here.

I'm an example of anonymous - usually log in so I can use "go to last read", but often leave site up for long periods of time without viewing - so I'm not really a "live" viewer most of the time.

Hello, I have a question regarding the “fiddly” nature of the new profile set-up. I have added a photo as part of my profile, but I am curious how some posters have added clever taglines above their photos or as footers to their posts. Have I missed something simple and self-evident; can you help me in my quest to add a possibly cryptic quip?

Posts from Dargo, under ANY name, would be instantly recognizable.

Willbefree25 would probably be pretty recognizable too.

On the Forums menu, if you scroll down to TCM Programs and then click on TCM Underground, I believe you will see an example of a "Guest" post there.

Most boards you have to be registered to post - and I think this is one for them.  I believe "guest" is part of the registered name.

On the Forums menu, if you scroll down to TCM Programs and then click on TCM Underground, I believe you will see an example of a "Guest" post there.

His registered name is  Guest_luckykelly_*

PS. But I can't find that name on the TCM Members list.

Hello, I have a question regarding the “fiddly” nature of the new profile set-up. I have added a photo as part of my profile, but I am curious how some posters have added clever taglines above their photos or as footers to their posts. Have I missed something simple and self-evident; can you help me in my quest to add a possibly cryptic quip?

Hello gypsy,

You appear to have the clever tagline above your avatar down pretty good.

For the addition to the footer (referred to here as your Signature) :

Click your name at the top of the screen > Click My Settings > On the left side, Click Signature >

Scroll down to see a reply window where you can post whatever you wish - as in replying to a poster here. This will accept text as well as images

Have fun ! 

I'm wondering what the difference is between a "guest" and an "anonymous user."

I've always thought a guest was someone who never bothered to sign up

with a name and that an anonymous user was someone who did but

clicked on the square to have his name remain anonymous, but I might

be wrong about that. It's pretty much a minor matter anyway.

His registered name is  Guest_luckykelly_*

PS. But I can't find that name on the TCM Members list.

If you'd looked at his post you'd have seen that he is designated as a Guest. That's why I referred him as an example of "Guest". He is evidently not a member.

If Guests could post, there would be hundreds of posts by Guests.

It's probably a moderator or staff member who knows what to do.

I've always thought a guest was someone who never bothered to sign up

with a name and that an anonymous user was someone who did but

clicked on the square to have his name remain anonymous, but I might

be wrong about that. It's pretty much a minor matter anyway.

Guest are people visiting the boards but have not logged in. A registered and non registered visitor will show up as Guest.  I don't know if this is still the case but in the past, if a member is removed from the boards voluntary or involuntary by the Web Administrator, their Username will show up as Guest.  I think this is what posters are seeing.

I just noticed the very old archived posts are renamed with Guest_xxxx_xxxx_ since the new board was created. 

The post by the Guest in the 'Expand the Underground' thread is not archived - it's new.

Getting more curious all the time about these Guest and Anonymous User designations and how they work.

I just noticed the very old archived posts are renamed with Guest_xxxx_xxxx_ since the new board was created. 

I thought that meant the Guests were leaving kisses and hugs. Kisses, anyway.

Hello gypsy,

You appear to have the clever tagline above your avatar down pretty good.

For the addition to the footer (referred to here as your Signature) :

Click your name at the top of the screen > Click My Settings > On the left side, Click Signature >

Scroll down to see a reply window where you can post whatever you wish - as in replying to a poster here. This will accept text as well as images

Have fun ! 

Thanks Kid for all your help. I'm still trying to find my way around the new boards.Your response gave me an opportunity to learn/use the new reply option . . . the old one seemed a bit more intuitive, but I was due to update (most of) my former ways of thinking.

• Like 1

If Guests could post, there would be hundreds of posts by Guests.

It's probably a moderator or staff member who knows what to do.

All I ask is that guest do the dishes!  

• Like 1

Guest are people visiting the boards but have not logged in. A registered and non registered visitor will show up as Guest.  I don't know if this is still the case but in the past, if a member is removed from the boards voluntary or involuntary by the Web Administrator, their Username will show up as Guest.  I think this is what posters are seeing.

Okay, that makes it clearer. Better a guest than a fish.