notwanted

well: how do we feel about forthcoming "new and improved" message boards?

176 posts in this topic

Let's see... After two weeks, three email addresses and several attempts to log in with info "they" sent me, I am finally allowed to even look at the message boards :(  . And I am sure I am not alone !

And what's funny is TCM.com said I was logged in all the time with my original screenname, email and all. Only when I would try to get to the message boards was I presented with this message of : You are not allowed to enter !

You would think high level CIA information was being passed along here. I wasn't even allowed to see the messages, let alone participate. Then I eventually tried to use another email but, I was already signed in with the first one so they all got mixed up. So I had to use a third one. And today it took about an hour of registering, re registering, validating, re validating etc....

Oh, and that "contact us if you have a problem??". I'm still waiting which either means lots are in the boat I was in or they just don't answer lol.

So suffice to say, I am less than enthusiatic about the new format.

:) This post was meant for another thread which I sent there.  I don't want to be redundant so if you are having posting problems go to Western Movie Rambles in the Westerns Forum for my advice. I'll cut out the Gator colors nonsense in a bit; it's fun being able to plat with colors and fonts again.

The post by the Guest in the 'Expand the Underground' thread is not archived - it's new.

Getting more curious all the time about these Guest and Anonymous User designations and how they work.

I am convinced they are from the NSA.

Has anyone noticed there is no way to change the title of the thread during an individual post, like some of us used to do?  Or is there?  I miss that feature.

I haven't discovered that one either.

Other than quoting or mention of name, there is no obvious way to tell which post a reply is referencing - could be 62 posts back up the line. There used to be a little (blue) arrow you could click on which would take you to the post that person was responding to so some sense could be made of it.

------------------------------------------

Update

When a post includes a quote, there is a curly arrow under the quoted person's name - this will take you to the exact message being quoted. 

I agree with the 2 previous posts and hope that those details can be addressed. I like to go back to old threads on occasion and review the entire thread. I have had some problems paging back through the entries; start at page 7, go back to page 6, etc and then stall out at page 5 which won't download. By going right back to the very first page and then moving up page by page it works better. I also notice that there are still a bunch of words that are **** out. And we have lost a lot of pictures that weren't a problem before. Again hopefully over time these issues will be worked out.

Kid Dab, one might want to return to a quoted post, if that post contained a quote, because those are not carried in the new quote. What the heck is that blue horizontal barber pole at the end of your posts? Is that your signature?

I like the new site. The numbering of posts, and the 'go to first unread post' by themselves, are enough reason to like it. I do miss the Hot Topics forum, and wish the threads had migrated into other forums. I also miss that when one replies to a certain poster, there is no indication of it, unless one quotes them.

Kid Dab.. What the heck is that blue horizontal barber pole at the end of your posts? Is that your signature?

Hi Valentine,

Yes. That is my signature - for now.

I just realized my previous comment about the return arrow to see the message being quoted as not making sense.. made no sense.. (ugh)

Many times I edit the original down to the specific sentence I am responding to. Using the return arrow would allow us to see the complete, unedited message I would be quoting from. Now that makes more sense.

I feel better now. Thank you!

:)

Hi Valentine,

Yes. That is my signature - for now.

I just realized my previous comment about the return arrow to see the message being quoted as not making sense.. made no sense.. (ugh)

Many times I edit the original down to the specific sentence I am responding to. Using the return arrow would allow us to see the complete, unedited message I would be quoting from. Now that makes more sense.

I feel better now. Thank you!

:)

This is better. :P

Barber-pole-01.gif

• Like 1

The last few days I have been attending the TCM Film Festival here in the City of Angels and have had no extra time to do any posting here. The Fest ends this evening.

I appreciate Kid Dabb and others who are posting useful information on the new board features.

I will be back on the boards tomorrow to help answer any questions and help with anyone having problems.

Thanks again for the help while I've been at the movies and see you tomorrow!

Please disregard this observation as it doesn't seem to apply in every case. ~ I'm just a bit baffled: when I intially began posting after the change of format, the most recent post appeared at the top of the page. This afternoon I responded to a topic and (both of) my answers appeared after the inital post by the author. I haven't changed anything under my Settings tab; the change seems to have been made by "the ghost in the machine".?

Please disregard this observation as it doesn't seem to apply to this topic. ~ I'm just a bit baffled: when I intially began posting after the change of format, the most recent post appeared at the top of the page. This afternoon I responded to a topic and (both of) my answers appeared after the inital post by the author of the topic. I haven't changed anything under my Settings tab; the change seems to have been made by "the ghost in the machine".?

This happens to me often. Maybe that's so you can preview your new post??

Anyway, just hit your Refresh button and the page will re-load, with your most recent post at the top of the page.

The last few days I have been attending the TCM Film Festival here in the City of Angels and have had no extra time to do any posting here. The Fest ends this evening.

I appreciate Kid Dabb and others who are posting useful information on the new board features.

I will be back on the boards tomorrow to help answer any questions and help with anyone having problems.

Thanks for your update.

Kid is doing a good job too.

This happens to me often. Maybe that's so you can preview your new post??

Anyway, just hit your Refresh button and the page will re-load, with your most recent post at the top of the page.

Thanks Fred for all your help. I can see the post I was referring to has "righted" itself and now appears at the top of the page. I'm still trying to find my way around the new format/system, which is certainly easier with a small amount of patience.

Update appreciated, I was wondering why there hasn't been any responses lately at the CFU section here. Don't forget to check your inbox as well, because I think more insight might do good for the CFU revamp. 

The new boards may be great, but if we've lost some of our best posters, what good are they?

I LIKED your post! (LOL)

Is it possible to respond to an individual poster w/out using the quotes? If so, I cant figure it out here. THere used to be a place to click on that in the old boards.....

• Like 1

@Hibi

In forums where there is no auto addresser, this is the way I've seen it done. I suppose one could leave out the @ or replace it with "to". Bold is optional - could try italics.

@Hibi

In forums where there is no auto addresser, this is the way I've seen it done. I suppose one could leave out the @ or replace it with "to". Bold is optional - could try italics.

I wonder with all the "upgrades" this function was lost? Seems like that would be a basic........

I wonder with all the "upgrades" this function was lost? Seems like that would be a basic........

Hibi,

It wasn't lost.  We moved!

We are no longer on the JIVE software platform. Most message boards these days no longer have the singular reply to a specific posting but the more generic "Reply to this topic" button.

Well, as much as I like to comment on classic films, I won't be able to participate on these boards anymore.

After two weeks of not being able to retrieve my screenname and having to make a new one. I now find that I cannot log in with my phone nor my laptop with the exact same account.

And I cannot scroll well at all. Its so painfully slow that I end up giving up and leaving the site. I guess its an improvement for most. But, this basically improved me right out of the boards altogether.

Good luck to the rest of you. Have fun !

Well, as much as I like to comment on classic films, I won't be able to participate on these boards anymore.

After two weeks of not being able to retrieve my screenname and having to make a new one. I now find that I cannot log in with my phone nor my laptop with the exact same account.

And I cannot scroll well at all. Its so painfully slow that I end up giving up and leaving the site. I guess its an improvement for most. But, this basically improved me right out of the boards altogether.

Good luck to the rest of you. Have fun !

I can understand your frustration about having problems....

As I referenced on another thread this past weekend, I posted the following screen capture to help others with their problems. The moderators/admins told us on another thread to contact them directly if anyone was having any issues with the boards or with re-registering. Here is the screen capture:

2znnwwm.png

If you would like to message this member directly be sure to click on the "Message this Member" button on the top row of the info box.

We would hate to have you leave the message boards completely, so if you are still around please check this out. All may not be lost. They can help people on a one on one basis and many have asked for their help and been given their old user names back.

Good luck!

Well, things finally got worked out. The mods have been extremely helpful.

Something had to be done to get this site up to date.

Some of us just don't like change very much :P

:)                                        12345
Yay! Welcome back, Geralddddd.