Sign in to follow this  
janhon1

Request a star of the month

27 posts in this topic

I would like to request Eddie Bracken for Star of the Month. I love his shows one of my fav's is Fun on a Weekend. how do we request shows??

Garbo - she has not been sotm for 9 years....................................she is always being overlooked...............................

Mary Pickford. She's never been Star of the Month. Neither has Douglas Fairbanks. How about Janet Gaynor?

George Sanders, the best actor who's never even had a SUTS day, let alone a SOTM. The only explanation is that he must've treated Ted Turner caddishly at some point when they met. ;)

• Like 2

Richard Widmark gets my vote. when he was a superstar during the 50's and 60's, he was about the same level as, say, Burt Lancaster. (ok, just a tick lower than Lancaster.) he certainly has a body of work that's large enough and it ranges over five decades from the 40's through the 80's.

oh, and George Sanders is truly overlooked by TCM.

Richard Widmark gets my vote. when he was a superstar during the 50's and 60's, he was about the same level as, say, Burt Lancaster. (ok, just a tick lower than Lancaster.) he certainly has a body of work that's large enough and it ranges over five decades from the 40's through the 80's.

Widmark would be another great choice. Like Robert Ryan, he often gets overlooked because he chose the "hard" and "complicated villain" roles over the easy romantic leads that he could have had if he'd pursued them.

Well, I don't know if it's a case of Ryan and Widmark choosing those roles or if it was more the idea of the "roles choosing them", Andy.

'Cause, while both were most assuredly great actors, neither of them possessed the "classic leading man looks" one would think would have been the prerequisite during their time for the romantic lead in films, as both had a rather "hard look" about 'em.

So who had "classic leading man looks"? That's easy to see in Grant or Taylor or Rock Hudson or the young Brando, but Bogart in Casablanca ? Spencer Tracy with Katharine Hepburn? Gary Cooper with Audrey Hepburn? Dustin Hoffman with anyone?

What makes Richard Widmark any less qualified on "looks" for romantic leads than, say, Van Johnson?

ARW.jpgjohnson.jpg

Ryan actually did mention that he didn't pursue romantic leads because he thought that the sort of roles he played were more challenging. It's certainly not hard to agree with that.

And while I'm not sure whether Widmark simply wasn't offered those romantic roles, I suspect it had more to do with Hollywood typecasting than his facial features. In any case, I'm glad the two of them weren't stuck in roles like Pillow Talk or Love in the Afternoon.

Lon Chaney is bound to be chosen some coming October. He would be my first choise to see as Star of the Month, though there are many deserving silent movie stars TCM does not seem inclined toward them, unless they were big in the soundies, too.

I was surprised to see that Gloria Swanson has never been the Star of the Month, or shown during SUTS, as well as Janet Gaynor, as someone else said, or even Lillian Gish (she was on SUTS, tho).

Foreign film stars are even more unlikely, though I really hope they might choose Conrad Veidt, who falls into both catagories as a silent star and foreign star. We almost never see him in his great days as a German leading man, but rather a villanous character actor as he was used in Hollywood. Because he is so well known to American audiences there might be slightly more hope to see him than some others.

oh, and George Sanders is truly overlooked by TCM.

Widmark was never as big a star as Lancaster. I'd put him at about the Robert Mitchum level.

And like Mitchum, he was able to maintain his star status for quite a long time, over two decades, despite the fact that few of his films were noteworthy.

Widmark was never as big a star as Lancaster. I'd put him at about the Robert Mitchum level.

And like Mitchum, he was able to maintain his star status for quite a long time, over two decades, despite the fact that few of his films were noteworthy.

For the 100th time, Susan Hayward and Warren William.

Any character actor would be my pick for SOTM

ward10.jpgtumblr_mpxmp7uv1d1s2rfxeo1_500.jpgmildred-natwick-2-sized.jpgritter-eve_opt-1.jpg968full-s.z.-sakall.jpg

It would make more sense to have 3 or 4 well-known character actors  share SOTM status.

It would make more sense to have 3 or 4 well-known character actors  share SOTM status.

Depends on the actor-- some character actors have a huge repetoire of very large roles. But I do know what you mean.

I'd love to see these SOTM:

Myrna Loy

William Powell

(I thought it'd be interesting if they did a dual SOTM featuring Loy-Powell's 14 films; but perhaps that wouldn't be a big enough selection of films to last an entire month?)

Claude Rains

Olivia de Havilland

Rita Hayworth

Glenn Ford

Rosalind Russell

William Holden

Ingrid Bergman

Agnes Moorehead

Errol Flynn

Cary Grant

Bette Davis

Katharine Hepburn

Claudette Colbert

I know Davis and Hepburn have quite a few "non-fans" on this board; but I love them.  I'd be happy to see them featured; but I know that quite a few of my selections are fairly mainstream and they end up on TCM on a fairly regular basis.  I also enjoy Barbara Stanwyck; but I know she was just featured, so I refrained from listing her again.  Even though in my opinion, there cannot be enough Barbara Stanwyck.   

Any character actor would be my pick for SOTM

I could go for a Nat Pendleton or Jessie Ralph month, but I agree with another poster that if a character actor was to be SotM they would probably be grouped with other character actors of the same time (e.g. the two I listed could go together).  I think that would be cool.

If I couldn't have a character actor, I would have to go with someone who doesn't get much attention, like when they did Eleanor Parker. I never knew til she was SOTM what her name was and only recognized the face from SOUND OF MUSIC. I was so surprised that she had all these leads in all these movies opposite all these great leading men. I think that's a great idea for SOTM. One such actor that comes to mind is Franchot Tone. Everyone knows the face, maybe they know the name, everyone loves many of his movies, but they never talk about him.

If I couldn't have a character actor, I would have to go with someone who doesn't get much attention, like when they did Eleanor Parker. I never knew til she was SOTM what her name was and only recognized the face from SOUND OF MUSIC. I was so surprised that she had all these leads in all these movies opposite all these great leading men. I think that's a great idea for SOTM. One such actor that comes to mind is Franchot Tone. Everyone knows the face, maybe they know the name, everyone loves many of his movies, but they never talk about him.

Warren William deserves it more than Franchot Tone. William had a specific niche (King of the pre-codes, and these were REAL pre-codes). Tone did not.

Warren William deserves it more than Franchot Tone. William had a specific niche (King of the pre-codes, and these were REAL pre-codes). Tone did not.

I wouldn't say "deserves it more" is the way I'd put it, but he definitely deserves it as well-- that's just what I mean by actors who never get any attention.

• Like 1

Hey, neither John nor Lionel Barrymore have ever been SOTM, and John's never even been on SUTS. Back in 1995 there was a joint honor as "The Barrymores," but that seems like an injustice to them both. It seems that this is an oversight, to me.

James Mason.

James Mason was SOTM in September 2003 and has SUTS celebrations in 2009 and 2012

Hey, neither John nor Lionel Barrymore have ever been SOTM, and John's never even been on SUTS. Back in 1995 there was a joint honor as "The Barrymores," but that seems like an injustice to them both. It seems that this is an oversight, to me.

Lionel Barrymore was feted in SUTS in 2012 and in November 1996 under the theme Stars as Directors.

The Barrymores were also feted in March 2008 under the theme Acting Dynasties.

For complete SOTM listings (see the first post in the SOTM thread in the TCM Programs forum): 

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48417-tcm-stars-of-the-month/

For a complete SUTS listing (see the first post in the SUTS thread in the TCM Programs forum):

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48418-summer-under-the-stars/

Or see both listings in the Stickie forum:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48413-star-of-the-month-summer-under-the-stars-honorees/