Sign in to follow this  
noah80

Genevieve Bujold and mysterious co-star

59 posts in this topic

Genevieve Bujold as you have never seen her before! (definitely not Anne Boleyn).

I love this photo :)

anne_zps6dbfb346.jpg

Ya know noah, I'm startin' to get the impression that if you DO ever find the answer to your question about who the actor was that was so rude to Geneieve, you're gonna hunt him down and give him a piece of your mind!!! ;)

(...btw, that IS a great picture of your crush here!)

If it is who I think it is, (James Caan) his show just got cancelled by ABC, (Playing The Game.) Maybe that's solace enough.

Noah80 wrote:

I'm a big fan of Coma (1978). Last year marked the 35th anniversary of the film so I created this image as a tribute to the film and Genevieve Bujold.

This is my all-time favorite "scary" movie. Lance LeGault earns a place in the "Villains Hall of Fame" for chasing Susan through that room full of cadavers-one of which was Tom Selleck-trying to turn her into one of them. And of course Richard Widmark wrote the book on playing guys like that. And most frightening of all-the story could have happened. I'd love to see this again.

Yeah, it's probably best that I do not know who this mysterious co-star is. I figure he probably has problems working with other actors as well. Or maybe he was picking on Genevieve Bujold because he had a difficult time pronouncing her name (it's not easy!) or because she's French-Canadian. Who knows...

Coma was the first blu-ray I bought. If we are lucky, we might have commentary from Bujold one of these days as a special feature. By the way Boston Memorial Hospital doesn't exist. If it did, I don't think many people would be going there..

an ad in 1978

photo ad_zps364412b7.jpg

>sfpcc2 wrote: If it is who I think it is, (James Caan) his show just got cancelled by ABC, (Playing The Game.) Maybe that's solace enough.

Caan has had a reputation for being blunt. He reportedly said some not-so-nice things about Bette Midler after working with her in "For the Boys" (1991). He was quoted as saying, "Bette Midler is very stupid. She's not a bad person, but stupid in terms of gray matter. I mean I like her, but I like my dog, too."

For those curious Another Man Another Chance will be on THIS Thursday April 10 from 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM, (EDT). It's a 132 minute movies shown in a 150 minutes times slot so some editing will probably be involved, (THIS is not TCM)

>Caan has had a reputation for being blunt.

And thus was probably why Coppola thought he'd be absolutely perfect as Sonny Corleone...and which he was, of course.

I found another Genevieve Boujold film on cable. Disappearances

will be on Sunday night from 12:45 AM to 2:30 AM, (actually Monday Morning) on the MPLEX Network, (EDT.) I saw this film a few years ago and her part is kind of small. The movie is kind of trippy and stars her Trouble In Mind co star Kris Kristofferson, and also Charlie McDermott, (who plays the A**hole oldest son on the Middle.)

Suggestions for a Genevieve Bujold film night:

King Of Hearts

Anne Of A Thousands Days

Coma

Choose Me

Don't forget The Last Flight of Noah's Ark (1980) or as I call it...Stuck on an Island with Genevieve

miniark_zps671142e8.jpg

I guess all those people are there for Michael Douglas and not Genevieve Bujold!

filming Coma in Massachusetts in 1977

with director Michael Crichton and Michael Douglas

massb_zpsfa77db72.jpg

Maybe not, Douglas was not the "star" then that he is now.

Doubt it, but could have been Clint Eastwood in Tightrope.  Don't recall her in boots though.

Regardless, she is a much better actress than she is given credit for.

>She also starred with Robert Shaw in a 1970s fun pirate film, Swashbuckler.

Sounds fun!

TCM is airing a batch of swashbuckler adventures in June. Guess we'll have to settle for those!

That one would be really good to see again.

Just looked up Choose Me and I must have missed it, but it has a great cast, so would definitely like to see it.  Maybe TCM will show it someday.

Maybe not, Douglas was not the "star" then that he is now.

According to Bujold, he was.

Bujold: "Michael [Douglas] was totally professional he had just come off The Streets of San Francisco, which really put him close to the people, and he had this charisma. There were people everywhere [around him]."

It might not have been James Caan since they worked together again in Jericho Mansions (2003).

You can watch Anne of the Thousand Days at   hoopladigital.com

www.hoopladigital.com/title/11031985

This year marks the 45th anniversary of the film.

gblife1_zps0e534c0f.jpg

She was almost Captain Janeway on Star Trek Voyager. She was hired for the role but after the first day of shooting the producer realized they need someone else. They then brought in Kate Mulgrew.

The same thing happened on Firefly. Rebecca Gayeheart was originally cast as Inarra but it didn't work out after the first day of shooting. In came Moreena Baccarin, (who was reciently nominated for an Emmy for Homeland.)

Edited by: sfpcc2 on Mar 29, 2014 1:54 AM

That is not exactly what happened. Genevieve Bujold who was interviewed and auditioned after a month’s long search by Star Trek producers who wanted a middle-aged female to captain the starship Voyager for a grueling five to seven year run. The producers felt that having an actress with Bujold's international reputation would help the flagship series for the new UPN network, so they decided to hire Ms. Bujold.

But, after just two days on the job and realizing that she would be working 12+ hours each day, she decided that it was not worth it and quit, leaving the show without it’s principle character.

Ms Bujold departed the show on September 9, 1995 vowing not ever to return. Immediately executive producers of Voyager Rick Berman, Michael Pillar and Jeri Taylor issued a terse news release stating that the actress "realized that the rigors of episodic television were too demanding."

At the time Voyager was the only new show that had been slated to become the flagship show of the new Paramount television channel UPN.

Before Bujold had been given the role of Janeway, actress Kate Mulgrew had auditioned for the part. She had originally sent a videotape of her audition to the producers but felt it was not good, so she flew out to Hollywood from New York and auditioned in person. Later that day the producers hired Bujold.

Luckily for them, Mulgrew was available and soon after Bujold departed, Mulgrew auditioned again and was hired for the role of Captain Katherine Janeway, the first episodic female captain of a Star Trek starship.

And Mulgrew was really good in that part!