Sign in to follow this  
TCMModerator1

TCM Stars of the Month

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

Yes again! I think it was last month that TCM had a daytime salute to Val Lewton? Again, when I was watching the biography, I was thinking this was enough material to stretch into a month long salute, and the wrap arounds would be very interesting.

Do you mean a month long salute to directors or just Val Lewton;  if you meant the latter,  I don't see were Lewton has enough output as director or producer for a 'month long' (which is really like 4 - 5 days during a month) unless limited to only "prime-time"  (e.g. 3 films over 4 days = 12 films plus documentary would still be a streach).

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Do you mean a month long salute to directors or just Val Lewton;  if you meant the latter,  I don't see were Lewton has enough output as director or producer for a 'month long' (which is really like 4 - 5 days during a month) unless limited to only "prime-time"  (e.g. 3 films over 4 days = 12 films plus documentary would still be a streach).  

If they ever pick a director or producer to be a Star of the Month (which doesn't seem likely) it will be a big household name like Alfred Hitchcock or John Ford.

Not counting the documentary, Lewton had a hand in 14 features. Eleven were at RKO and one was at MGM, and those 12 are in the TCM library. I don't think the other two have aired on TCM.

MY OWN TRUE LOVE a Paramount melodrama from 1949 seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. APACHE DRUMS, a Universal western from 1951, was available for streaming on Starz earlier this year and probably also was broadcast on the Encore Westerns channel. There are some moments of true horror in APACHE DRUMS, making it easy to identify as a Lewton picture.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

If they ever pick a director or producer to be a Star of the Month (which doesn't seem likely) it will be a big household name like Alfred Hitchcock or John Ford. 

Not counting the documentary, Lewton had a hand in 14 features. Eleven were at RKO and one was at MGM, and those 12 are in the TCM library. I don't think the other two have aired on TCM.

MY OWN TRUE LOVE a Paramount melodrama from 1949 seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. APACHE DRUMS, a Universal western from 1951, was available for streaming on Starz earlier this year and probably also was broadcast on the Encore Westerns channel. There are some moments of true horror in APACHE DRUMS, making it easy to identify as a Lewton picture.

When Orson Welles was SOTM a few years ago the list included virtually all of his directorial work, though not all of his acting work (e.g., I don't recall "The VIPs" or "A Man for All Seasons" in the schedule at that time.) But, directors taking roles or cameos in movies would be a clever approach to the SOTM formula, as has been done with other thematic groupings. 

For some reason I thought Director of the Month was a regular thing for many years on TCM, up until the last several years when it seemed to be phased out. Maybe I'm just remembering it incorrectly, but I seemed to recall one weekday's primetime lineup being Star of the Month, another night being Director of the Month, another being some theme, etc. 

22 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

When Orson Welles was SOTM a few years ago the list included virtually all of his directorial work, though not all of his acting work (e.g., I don't recall "The VIPs" or "A Man for All Seasons" in the schedule at that time.) But, directors taking roles or cameos in movies would be a clever approach to the SOTM formula, as has been done with other thematic groupings. 

He wasn't Star of the Month at that time. You're thinking of the schedule from May 2015 when TCM chose to celebrate his 100th birthday by doing a month-long spotlight of his films as director. The Star of the Month in May 2015 was actually Sterling Hayden.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

For some reason I thought Director of the Month was a regular thing for many years on TCM, up until the several years when it seemed to be phased out. Maybe I'm just remembering it incorrectly, but I seemed to recall one weekday's primetime lineup being Star of the Month, another night being Director of the Month, another being some theme, etc. 

Yes, they used to feature a Director of the Month. That's when people like Roberto Rossellini or Akira Kurosawa were given tributes.

It basically led into the Friday Night Spotlight. The majority of the early Friday Night Spotlights focused on directors but then gradually expanded to include others, like writer Neil Simon for instance. Or else they examined films in a particular genre such as screwball comedy or roadshow musicals.

Eventually it just became the Monthly Spotlight which was no longer necessarily scheduled on Fridays. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

He wasn't Star of the Month at that time. You're thinking of the schedule from May 2015 when TCM chose to celebrate his 100th birthday by doing a month-long spotlight of his films as director. The Star of the Month in May 2015 was actually Sterling Hayden.

Note that when Paul Henreid was SOTM TCM showed films he was only the director of (e.g. Dead Ringer with Bette Davis),   to 'fill out' the tribute.    To me that is a good idea especially when an actor's film legacy is 'light'.  

I can see showing films where a director is an actor in a film (but not also the director) with a 'healthy' part but not just a cameo. 

E.g. John Huston had some solid acting roles (e.g. Chinatown),   so if he was given a SOTM tribute the line-up could include a mix of films he directed (and sometimes had a cameo role in as well like Treasures of the Sierra Madre),  and films were he was an actor.         

But it is my understanding directors that also have significant acting roles are rare and what is more common is actors that later on become directors and \ or producers (E.g. Newman and Redford come to mind).

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

Note that when Paul Henreid was SOTM TCM showed films he was only the director of (e.g. Dead Ringer with Bette Davis),   to 'fill out' the tribute.    To me that is a good idea especially when an actor's film legacy is 'light'.  

I can see showing films where a director is an actor in a film (but not also the director) with a 'healthy' part but not just a cameo. 

E.g. John Huston had some solid acting roles (e.g. Chinatown),   so if he was given a SOTM tribute the line-up could include a mix of films he directed (and sometimes had a cameo role in as well like Treasures of the Sierra Madre),  and films were he was an actor.          

Huston would be an interesting choice, but I don't think TCM sees him as an actor or else he would have been included in the month devoted to character actors and actresses. TCM seems to program him as a director. Though your idea would certainly work and draw attention to his on-camera work.

In the case of Henreid, I think they put DEAD RINGER on the schedule the same night they showed NOW VOYAGER and DECEPTION to make a mini-theme of his work with Davis. There were other films he made they could have shown. He was in 38 English-language films produced in Hollywood and England, plus he did ten foreign films in other languages. Instead of DEAD RINGER they could easily have premiered the great Paramount adventure film ROPE OF SAND (1949) he starred in with Burt Lancaster and Peter Lorre. I chatted with his daughter Monika on Facebook about ROPE OF SAND. She agreed it's one of his best.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes, I meant more of a prime time spotlight; either one director for an extended block of their films in one week, or a month long spotlight like the usual SOTM but with a different director every week.

When Richard Burton was SOTM earlier this year, I thought the concept of SOTM all in one week was interesting. This might work well for the directors with less material, as they could limit the films to as little as 2 per night for an entire week to stretch it out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Yes, I meant more of a prime time spotlight; either one director for an extended block of their films in one week, or a month long spotlight like the usual SOTM but with a different director every week.

When Richard Burton was SOTM earlier this year, I thought the concept of SOTM all in one week was interesting. This might work well for the directors with less material, as they could limit the films to as little as 2 per night for an entire week to stretch it out.

It's certainly different when they put the Star of the Month all in the same week. They've also done that when they honored Doris Day and when they honored John Wayne last time.