TCMModerator1

Summer Under the Stars

69 posts in this topic

Right-- this whole Summer Under the Stars is a big marketing gimmick-- and it fails on many levels, because as you so wisely pointed out, there is a lack of variety and there are virtually no premieres in a month of this type.

I originally thought that this month was more of a way to give honors to people who would never be a SOTM, but most of the people who get chosen for this have already been celebrated that way. I wasn't watching TCM when they started this annual fare, but looking back at the first few months I see that the selections were very bland. So at least this month has generally improved over the years, and maybe hopefully it will continue to. I still like it a lot better than 31 Days of Oscar.

I get the impression I was pointing out the obvious with that post. Good. Glad to hear others feel the same way. This month doesn't have to be that boring every year, if only they could find the courage to diversify. But then, not all stars have very diverse filmographies. Better include 10 or 12 character players in the mix for good measure.

I originally thought that this month was more of a way to give honors to people who would never be a SOTM, but most of the people who get chosen for this have already been celebrated that way. I wasn't watching TCM when they started this annual fare, but looking back at the first few months I see that the selections were very bland. So at least this month has generally improved over the years, and maybe hopefully it will continue to. I still like it a lot better than 31 Days of Oscar.

It is "better" (if we can say that) than 31 Days of Oscar because they do not have to bring it current with more modern stars unless they want to-- but really, it is just an excuse to schedule 85% of the month with stars from MGM and Warners that are already in heavy rotation year in and year out.

Last year when Ramon Novarro was selected, he was their one silent film star-- but they only spent about eight hours in the morning showing his silents, then the rest of the day included his talkies. So that particular August, there was only 8 hours of silent films the whole month. I can see where people would get steamed about that. Also, since most silents were made before the Oscars, that same group gets short-changed every February.

Have to agree the only hilights to SUTS month, for me, are the token foreign (J. Moreau), character actors (T. Ritter, L. Tracy, G. George) & silent (Chaplin, though his stuff's been aired alot). But with few premieres (other than Moreau) there's little that's new.***

But I also assume the programming for Feb. & Aug. is not being directed at the hard-core TCM fans, but at the general viewing audience. And if it's any indication, the postings on TCM's FB page show that audience seems to like and look forward to those 2 months.

So we've got 10 out of the 12 months, that still ain't too bad.

:unsure:

(*** I stand corrected, further reading in NPG indicated there are supposed to be 20 Premieres)

Edited by mr6666

Have to agree the only hilights to SUTS month, for me, are the token foreign (J. Moreau), character actors (T. Ritter, L. Tracy, G. George) & silent (Chaplin, though his stuff's been aired alot). But with few premieres (other than Moreau) there's little that's new.

But I also assume the programming for Feb. & Aug. is not being directed at the hard-core TCM fans, but at the general viewing audience. And if it's any indication, the postings on TCM's FB page show that audience seems to like and look forward to those 2 months.

So we've got 10 out of the 12 months, that still ain't too bad.

:unsure:

I don't know if I would assume a majority of hard-core TCM fans are more interested in variety than star driven American studio-era movies.      Now,  I lean towards variety,  but even at this forum I don't see a consensus;  e.g.  for every 'give me more foreign films' poster here there is a 'stop showing that foreign crap' one.  

Either way,  I was disapointed in the SUTS choices.    I understand why SOTM is star driven  (duh),  but SUTS should focus a lot more on the secondary actors,  character actors,  silent and foreign stars.       Also,  are the dog days of August the best month to try to capture more of the so called general auidence?     

• Like 2

I would like to see an Elvis SUTS.

As August 16th is probably the biggest day of the year in the Elvis World it would seem a natural

I not sure though, how many of his movies TCM has. Anybody know?

I would like to see an Elvis SUTS.

As August 16th is probably the biggest day of the year in the Elvis World it would seem a natural

I not sure though, how many of his movies TCM has. Anybody know?

I believe TCM does have an Elvis day at least once per year.   I know they did not too long ago.   It may have been on his birthday.

As for my own taste,  I wish TCM didn't have an Elvis day.    I think his movies as well as his acting are weak. 

• Like 1

I believe TCM does have an Elvis day at least once per year.   I know they did not too long ago.   It may have been on his birthday.

As for my own taste,  I wish TCM didn't have an Elvis day.    I think his movies as well as his acting are weak. 

Actually, Elvis should be Star of the Month for January. Believe it or don't, but January 8, 2015 will be the 80th anniversary of the King's birth.

Actually, Elvis should be Star of the Month for January. Believe it or don't, but January 8, 2015 will be the 80th anniversary of the King's birth.

Elvis was already SOTM in January of 2001, but that was quite a while ago, so it isn't unfathomable. He has also been featured on SUTS four times since then.

However, January 9th will be the 100th birthday of Anita Louise, who was quite prolific and has never been SOTM or featured on SUTS. Just an idea.

For Herbert Marshall on the 16th, I was hoping this would include The Enchanted Cottage (1945), The Unseen (1945) and The Razor's Edge (1946). - but I can wait.

The Razor's Edge is also a favorite Tyrone Power role.

Elvis was already SOTM in January of 2001, but that was quite a while ago, so it isn't unfathomable. He has also been featured on SUTS four times since then.

However, January 9th will be the 100th birthday of Anita Louise, who was quite prolific and has never been SOTM or featured on SUTS. Just an idea.

January 8th also will mark the 200th anniversary of the Battle of New Orleans, so I'm at least hoping for a showing of "The Buccaneer" (the 1958 version -- Anthony Quinn's only film as a director) or other historical dramas featuring Andrew Jackson.

From just a quick glance I notice there was an awful lot of repetition of honorees in the first few years. I applaud TCM for expanding the roster in more recent years. Every year there should be an effort to bring in some new names (8 to 10?). "Stars" does not have to be limited to the very major stars we see regularly throughout the year anyway.

Did anyone see Remember The Day with Claudette Colbert tonight on TCM?

This is a worth seeing Claudette Colbert movie in her greatest performance ever. What a great story as well as a tear jerker. Finally made it's premiere on TCM. #ColbertTCM #SUTS

I wish they had a day with Dana Andrews. 

Yes he is deserving. He was in a lot of classic films. 

Looking forward to tomorrow's BARDOT day (August 23).  Re:  AND GOD CREATED WOMAN -- I hope the aspect ratio is preserved so that the subtitles aren't cropped off this time.  

Anyone notice on previous airings that the bottom of the screen was cut off and obliterated the subtitles?  Previous broadcasts have had this issue and the USER COMMENTS complained, but evidently TCM didn't see their posts:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/67302/And-God-Created-Woman/user-reviews.html 

And no, it wasn't the screen settings on my TV.  I tried all formats of different aspect ratios ... the broadcast simply clipped off the lower edge of the screen (my guess is their print is good and the subtitles are there, but the image is slightly magnified when broadcast and the outer edges of the print are lost.  It's happened with other foreign films, like Geraldine Chaplin's PEPPERMINT FRAPPE.)

This probably isn't the right forum, but any advice where to point it out?  

• Like 1

Looking forward to tomorrow's BARDOT day (August 23).  Re:  AND GOD CREATED WOMAN -- I hope the aspect ratio is preserved so that the subtitles aren't cropped off this time.  

Welcome to the boards, Mike. There is a forum on the bottom of the main page for technical issues. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the boards, Mike. There is a forum on the bottom of the main page for technical issues. 

Thanks.  Do you mean the message board forum called STICKIES (HELPFUL TCM INFO)?  I see another one called INFORMATION PLEASE but assume that's for trivia questions. 

Or by "bottom of the main page" do you mean something outside of the message board section and back to the main TCM site?  I did send an email from the main site but didn't hear back.  (Sorry for the newbie questions)

Thanks.  Do you mean the message board forum called STICKIES (HELPFUL TCM INFO)?  I see another one called INFORMATION PLEASE but assume that's for trivia questions. 

Or by "bottom of the main page" do you mean something outside of the message board section and back to the main TCM site?  I did send an email from the main site but didn't hear back.  (Sorry for the newbie questions)

It's on the main page, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. It looks like this (and it's where people post all kinds of technical issues related to the website and cable:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-23%2Bat%2B7.01.2

• Like 1

It's on the main page, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. It looks like this (and it's where people post all kinds of technical issues related to the website and cable:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-23%2Bat%2B7.01.2

Thanks again.  I re-posted the issue alert there.  It's weird how I was viewing only a partial list of msg boards.  None of these other subforums were displaying:  the Film Festival, Cruise, Kyle in Hollywood, Genres, and Technical Issues (!) 

eh, I'll get the hang of it someday.

• Like 1

Thanks again.  I re-posted the issue alert there.  It's weird how I was viewing only a partial list of msg boards.  None of these other subforums were displaying:  the Film Festival, Cruise, Kyle in Hollywood, Genres, and Technical Issues (!) 

eh, I'll get the hang of it someday.

Yeah...you have to explore the different forums and sub-forums. You'll get the hang of it!

Here it is February, and the May schedule for TCM is already set.  That means within two or three months, we'll see what the 2017 offerings for Summer Under the Stars will be.

Anyone have any favorites you'd like to see that have either never been featured on SUTS or haven't been honored in a very long time?

I'll cast an early vote for James Craig and Lee Patrick.

Would love to see Jeff Chandler, but he was either in a lot of films TCM doesn't have exclusive rights to, or some of his roles (as an Indian) may be deemed too offensive or passe to be shown (just a guess on my part).

Minna Gombel is someone I'd like to see more of, instead of just her roles in "The Thin Man" or "Make Way For Tomorrow".

• Like 1

Here it is February, and the May schedule for TCM is already set.  That means within two or three months, we'll see what the 2017 offerings for Summer Under the Stars will be.

Anyone have any favorites you'd like to see that have either never been featured on SUTS or haven't been honored in a very long time?

I'd like to see Dorothy Malone honored. She had an Oscar for WRITTEN ON THE WIND, and a lot of her films are in the TCM library.

screen-shot-2017-02-15-at-7-15-03-am.png

• Like 1

I'd like to see Dorothy Malone honored. She had an Oscar for WRITTEN ON THE WIND, and a lot of her films are in the TCM library.

I absolutely love the line in that film where she tells her brother (Robert Stack) that he couldn't kill anything other than a bottle of scotch!  (or something to that effect when he threatens to kill some guy over making advances to his usually drunk sister).

• Like 1