Swithin

New boards

284 posts in this topic

How come they edited out the word "F A C E B O O K" ?

That was the word with all the asterisks.

Is the FAce  Book term a bad word now? What the frig is going on, anyway? (Hey, they could make a movie out of this.)

As Lynn (lzcutter) has written, there might be a software issue about this.

...I know that it is quite impressive when a thread has recieved (sic) 41,000 views or some wildly large figure. 

I don't think I am so worried about the number of views exactly-- because at least this new format tells us when a topic is 'HOT.'  I just found it funny that Mary Astor had dropped back to zero.  It seemed ironic.

O man, I really hate this (she whined.)

It's just like friggin **** now, complete with "likes" or "dislikes". One thing I liked about the old format was it was so different from ****.

Also, how do you reply to one person now? I wanted to reply to darkblue, but could find no button to do so.

Is that to avoid "fights", we can no longer respond personally to individuals posters? (Not that I was going to fight with darkblue.)

And even to find the "reply to this thread", I had to scroll to the top.

Whine whine whine I hate this and do not see why it  is better. I don't have time to do a learning curve thing with this.

Whine again. also, %!@&$$@!?*#%! (every conceivable swearword.)

so kick me out...you'd be doing me a favour.

Missw,

I think the new format makes it easier to use the 'quote' feature more.  Then it will be clear who you are replying to...or you can do what I did here, by prefacing the new comment with the name of the poster you are addressing.

Man. Talk about someone who is not happy. Well welcome to the new boards!!!

MissW. Please relax and take a deep breath will ya!

It is not that bad. In fact it is a lot better than the old boards ever thought of being. Especially the profile settings. As with everything it is going to take a little time to figure things out. Not every thread was kept nor was the Hot Topics forum brought over. Maybe that will be at some future date. But overall this is really cool now. Just give it a little time and with some tweaks I think this will be a much better place to come than the old message boards were. If you are replying directly to some one, the best thing to do is to start each message with a Dear so and so, at least for now.

Missw,

I think the new format makes it easier to use the 'quote' feature more.  Then it will be clear who you are replying to...or you can do what I did here, by prefacing the new comment with the name of the poster you are addressing.

Exactly. I could not have said it better!

O man, I really hate this (she whined.)

It's just like friggin **** now, complete with "likes" or "dislikes". One thing I liked about the old format was it was so different from ****.

Also, how do you reply to one person now? I wanted to reply to darkblue, but could find no button to do so.

Is that to avoid "fights", we can no longer respond personally to individuals posters? (Not that I was going to fight with darkblue.)

And even to find the "reply to this thread", I had to scroll to the top.

Whine whine whine I hate this and do not see why it  is better. I don't have time to do a learning curve thing with this.

Whine again. also, %!@&$$@!?*#%! (every conceivable swearword.)

so kick me out...you'd be doing me a favour.

MsW,

It looks like there is currently no Reply to a post button the way there was on the old boards but if you want to reply to a specific post, you can hit the quote button and a reply window will open with the post in a quote window and you can reply to that specific poster.

I doubt it is to avoid fights and more likely just the new software. We have a new web address for the forums and the Jive software has been left behind and we appear to be on a totally new software platform.

As for the words being *** out, that is likely because the word filter needs adjusting.

It's opening day, unanticipated glitches are appearing and will likely get worked out in the days ahead.

MsW,

It looks like there is currently no Reply button but if you want to reply to a specific post, you can hit the quote button and a reply window will open with the post in a quote window and you can reply to that specific poster.

I doubt it is to avoid fights and more likely just the new software. We have a new web address for the forums and the Jive software has been left behind and we appear to be on a totally new software platform.

As for the words being *** out, that is likely because the word filter needs adjusting.

It's opening day, unanticipated glitches are appearing and will likely get worked out in the days ahead.

Very well said...

I haven't been able to get the quote function to work at all. When I try to paste the message of the person I'm responding to into the quote box - it won't paste.

This is a test of the new system to see if I understand the buttons. 

I used the "Quote" button. It is the most lefthand button of the three which are right-justified underneath what you wrote.

I then edited your quote by deleting all from the box which I do not wish to appear. 

I find this forum to have features now from several forums which I visit. It may take me some time to become accustomed to which common options are available and if there are any options which are new to me.

I have yet to find how to embed a video. :(

I haven't been able to get the quote function to work at all. When I try to paste the message of the person I'm responding to into the quote box - it won't paste.

It is no longer necessary to copy the post and to paste it into the reply. The "Quote" button at the bottom of the post to which you wish to reply opens a reply box with the post which you wish to quote installed automatically in the reply box.

I am using Chrome under WinXP. I do not know if or how well it works with other browsers or operating systems.

I haven't been able to get the quote function to work at all. 

Dark,

It looks like there are two ways to post a quote:

1) On the post you want to quote, just hit the quote button in the lower right hand corner of options. This should bring the name and time stamp of the poster you are responding to along with the entire quote. You can highlight and delete the parts of the quote if you want as I did above.

2) You highlight the passage you want to quote and copy that, then hit "Reply to the Topic" at the top of the page and that should open up a new reply window. Paste your copied quote and then click on the quote icon (just to the left of twitter t icon) and that should place the quote in a quote box like this: 

I haven't been able to get the quote function to work at all. 

Note, there is no poster name attached to the quote the way  there is when you use the quote button described in #1. If you use this method, you will have to identify who you are responding to because there is no Reply to this poster button and people may not recognize who wrote the quote you are referencing.

Dark,

1) On the post you want to quote, just hit the quote button in the lower right hand corner of options. This should bring the name and time stamp of the poster you are responding to along with the entire quote. You can highlight and delete the parts of the quote if you want as I did above.

2) You highlight the passage you want to quote and copy that, then hit "Reply to the Topic" at the top of the page and that should open up a new reply window. Paste your copied quote and then click on the quote icon (just to the left of twitter t icon) and that should place the quote in a quote box like this: 

Note, there is no poster name attached to the quote the way  there is when you use the quote button described in #1. If you use this method, you will have to identify who you are responding to because there is no Reply to this poster button and people may not recognize who wrote the quote you are referencing.

It works if I change browsers. All morning I've been using explorer and the quote function would not work.

I've just changed over the the Google Chrome browser, and now the function is working for me on that one.

Guess I'll try my mozilla firefox browser next.

Thanks for your help lz.

Is there any way to have the oldest posts in a thread to show up first? I find it incredibly irritating to have ot scroll down to the bottom to read the first post, especially if it runs to more than one screen, and then scroll up to find the next post, and do this over and over. Frankly, I don't understand why anybody would want to to this. On the old boards, one of the first settings I changed was to have the oldest posts show up on top. I can't find any way to change that on these boards.

Do quote tags not work? That is, "quote" in square brackets before the text you're quoting, followed by "/quote" in square brackets? (Or, like HTML tags, but with square brackets instead of the greater than and less then signs.)

(Edit: Obviously, quote tags do work, since that's how I quoted you.)

And I see scrolling down that some folks have already decided to force their own oversized font choices on us. Sigh.

SansFin, did you say you have as yet to learn how to bed someone? I didn't realize that was part of the new format here.

This new TCM site really is different !

• Like 1

Is there any way to have the oldest posts in a thread to show up first? I find it incredibly irritating to have ot scroll down to the bottom to read the first post, especially if it runs to more than one screen, and then scroll up to find the next post, and do this over and over. Frankly, I don't understand why anybody would want to to this. On the old boards, one of the first settings I changed was to have the oldest posts show up on top. I can't find any way to change that on these boards.

I agree with all of this. I hope there is a way. On the old boards, old showing up first only worked for me if I was logged in, otherwise no. That didn't bother me though. I'm glad to see there is someone else who feels this way. Most prefer the reverse, I believe.

This new TCM site really is different

I see the old threads are unlocked now. Go have a boo at the music thread misswonderly - there's a great new feature there I'm sure you'll like - our videos are now embedded!

Ha, ha, ha.... I tried to sign on and I clicked on the email address sent to me, then I found out it had changed my password but didn't tell me what the new password was. Then I discovered that the first email actually said DISREGARD AND DELETE THIS EMAIL.

Ha, ha, ha.

2 hours later I finally got signed on with a new password. :)

Hmm, I wonder why some of my words looked like this ****?

FredC,

It's because the word filter needs to be adjusted.

FredC,

It's because the word filter needs to be adjusted.

Thank you. :)

The word it deleted was PASS WORD, typed as a single word.

I just checked. I searched for you and I found MissGoddesses and it siad that you had posted already today.

Hi Rey...it does?  Where did I post as MissG???  I cannot even view the message boards as MissGoddess, it says I do not have permission to participate in this community.  I have posted as PappysGirl. 

TCM has sent me the same pass-word re-sent email but my problem remains.  I can't view or post as MissG.  I'm not the only one, too.