Swithin

New boards

284 posts in this topic

Most prefer the reverse, I believe.

I think most people just leave the default whatever way it is and don't try to change things. I don't understand who the heck actually likes reading that way, though.

So -- you can't respond to a specific post (er); and you can't easily see the OP? 

Is this some sort of sick joke? I've wasted more than an hour of aggravation getting to this point, and now I'm stuck with a password of, like , 20 digits, which I'll never remember in a million years. This is progress?

Is this some sort of sick joke? I've wasted more than an hour of aggravation getting to this point, and now I'm stuck with a **** of, like , 20 digits, which I'll never remember in a million years. This is progress?

finance,

You can go into your control panel at the top of page in the upper right hand corner (there is a pull down menu under your name) and change your password to something you prefer.

Also, in the transition, I've lost well over a thousand posts. These changes seem to be much more than the "cosmetic" ones advertised.

So -- you can't respond to a specific post (er); and you can't easily see the OP? 

Swithin,

You can't see the original OP as easily as on the old boards by clicking the link at the top of thread (that seems to be a Jive feature that maybe wasn't compatible with the new software), but you can respond to a specific poster by clicking the Quote button at the bottom of each post.

To Izcutter----- (There no longer seems to be a way to reply to a specific person or post) I think that if I try to change my password, something will get fouled up, and I'll be back at square 1 again. I've gotten this far, so I think I'll leave well enough alone, and live with this monstrous password.

Also, in the transition, I've lost well over a thousand posts. These changes seem to be much more than the "cosmetic" ones advertised.

TB thinks the loss of post count may have to do with threads that weren't migrated over (notice the Hot Topics forum has been retired), so if you were a heavy contributor to a thread in Hot Topics that could be the reason.

Swithin,

You can't see the original OP as easily as on the old boards by clicking the link at the top of thread (that seems to be a Jive feature that maybe wasn't compatible with the new software), but you can respond to a specific poster by clicking the Quote button at the bottom of each post.

Thanks.  This may make for longer threads, since the whole message seems to go along with the post, but that's not a major problem. Now I'm going to address the issue of adding a photo to my profile!

To Izcutter----- (There no longer seems to be a way to reply to a specific person or post) I think that if I try to change my ****, something will get fouled up, and I'll be back at square 1 again. I've gotten this far, so I think I'll leave well enough alone, and live with this monstrous ****.

finance,

You can reply to a specific poster by clicking on the Quote button found in the lower right hand corner of every post. If you don't want to quote an entire post, when the reply window opens with the quote boxed off, you can go into the box and delete the part of the quote you don't want to keep, write your reply (outside the quote box) and hit Post. 

If you use the Quote button, the poster's name and a time stamp will appear at the top of the Quote box when it posts so others will know who you are responding to.

My posts are few and far between now but I had to give the new boards a try.   It was very easy to re-register and posting seems to be effortless.  So far, so good. 

:)

finance,

You can reply to a specific poster by clicking on the Quote button found in the lower right hand corner of every post. If you don't want to quote an entire post, when the reply window opens with the quote boxed off, you can go into the box and delete the part of the quote you don't want to keep, write your reply (outside the quote box) and hit Post. 

If you use the Quote button, the poster's name and a time stamp will appear at the top of the Quote box when it posts so others will know who you are responding to.

Thanks. Let me see how this posts.

Thanks.  This may make for longer threads, since the whole message seems to go along with the post, but that's not a major problem. 

Swithin,

Once you hit the Quote button and the reply window opens, you can go into the Quote box and delete any part of the quoted post you want (you can see I trimmed your quote about adding an avatar). Just be sure not to write your reply in the Quote box but under it.

• Like 1

This may make for longer threads, since the whole message seems to go along with the post,

Learn to edit. :-)

Also, in the transition, I've lost well over a thousand posts.

Look at it this way: You get to have another party for each of those milestone post numbers you'll hit again!

My right index finger is getting lots of exercise. It seems that no matter what I do, in going from one screen to another (as in from menu to post), I always end up at the bottom of the page. Then I have to use the scroll wheel on my mouse to get up to the top since that is where the most recent post is.

Even in attempting to post this, I was first taken to the bottom of the page and had to scroll up to find the text box.

lz,

I wonder if we need a new thread titled IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE LOGGING ON, READ THIS...

It took about 2 hours for me to log on this morning because I made several mistakes with my user name and pass word, and I had to get TCM to send me 4 emails, then I had to wait for each one, then I finally got a new pass word and I was able to sign on.

Maybe other people, who are having trouble, need to know what kind of trouble some of the rest of us had before we finally were able to sign on.

Just an idea.

Fred :)

My right index finger is getting lots of exercise. It seems that no matter what I do, in going from one screen to another (as in from menu to post), I always end up at the bottom of the page. Then I have to use the scroll wheel on my mouse to get up to the top since that is where the most recent post is.

Even in attempting to post this, I was first taken to the bottom of the page and had to scroll up to find the text box.

After you post your new message, try refreshing the page and your new message should appear at the top.

lz,

I wonder if we need a new thread titled IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE LOGGING ON, READ THIS...

It took about 2 hours for me to log on this morning because I made several mistakes with my user name and pass word, and I had to get TCM to send me 4 emails, then I had to wait for each one, then I finally got a new pass word and I was able to sign on.

Maybe other people, who are having trouble, need to know what kind of trouble some of the rest of us had before we finally were able to sign on.

Just an idea.

Fred :)

FredC,

I think there is a part of the new FAQ to the right of the main forum page that addresses logging in.  It is also addressed in the Announcements forum  where the TCMModerator1 asks that posters contact him via PM.

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F48434-registering-issues%2F

SansFin,

Regarding embedding videos-   I discovered this while checking out the new features:

In the upper left corner of the reply window, on the top line third icon in is a square with green highlights. If you hover over that square (it says special BBCode).

Open a reply window.

Paste the youtube or vimeo URL for the video you want into the reply window:

Then Click on the BBCode icon and choose Media.

The URL will show in the window of the drop down box and in your reply window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6gXi67ueD0

It is way easier than i made this sound but hopefully you get the idea!

lz,

Funny thing.... on my page one of Old Movies on YouTube, the film links show up as embeds.

The URL links I made bold wtih a star symbol in front and back don't work as hot links, but the URL can be copied and pasted to a new window.

Some of my links do show up as hot links.

Fred

In the upper left corner of the reply window, on the top line third icon in is a square with green highlights. If you hover over that square (it says special BBCode).

Open a reply window.

Paste the youtube or vimeo URL for the video you want into the reply window:

Then Click on the BBCode icon and choose Media.

The URL will show in the window of the drop down box and in your reply window.

It is way easier than i made this sound but hopefully you get the idea!

I thank you very, very much for that information! :)

I had posted a wonderfully precious video to my thread in: "Your Favorites" and I could post it only as a link even although all the other links in that thread had become embedded videos. I have now edited it into an embedded video because of your sharing of your insight into the new features.

I appreciate your assistance greatly!

I have to admit, the ability to embed videos (something I've long wanted around here) is one enhancement that to me does make all this web redesign hoopla and disruption worthwhile.

It's so much more inviting to the reader with whom I hope to share a film to have an embed to click on, as opposed to a long, messy looking text link! This is a feature I will be resorting to in the future!

BTW, the default font setting that I see most people using, produces light, greyish looking text that is also small. I've reset to Arial 18 point for greater legibility!

PS: I've noticed that they put the thread titles on the General Discussion list page in darker bold! The original light grey font didn't look right!