Sign in to follow this  
RMeingast

TCM Canada Schedule

63 posts in this topic

TO BE OR NOT TO BE and FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT may be overplayed in the States, but the problem many Canadian viewers have is that we don't have access to these films and would like to see them.

TO BE OR NOT TO BE and FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT may be overplayed in the States, but the problem many Canadian viewers have is that we don't have access to these films and would like to see them.

When you say you don't have access,  do you mean one can't purchase a DVD of these films in Canada?   Or did you just mean TCM doesn't shown them because of rights issues?

Either way, sorry TCM doesn't show those two films in Canada since they are very fine movies,  but as I noted be careful what you wish for.   If the Canadian rights to show those films are ever granted,  you might be coming back and asking why is TCM showing those films so offen.    ;)  

When you say you don't have access,  do you mean one can't purchase a DVD of these films in Canada?   Or did you just mean TCM doesn't shown them because of rights issues?

One can buy them from the TCM Shop:

"To Be or Not to Be" (1942) - http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=461976&SESSID=ac94716f6029b9e94569279d019bfe7e

"Foreign Correspondent" (1940) - http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=623346&SESSID=ac94716f6029b9e94569279d019bfe7e

The public library in the city where I reside has both flicks on DVD's available to sign-out...

You can watch the entire movie ["To Be or Not to Be" (1942)] online here:

http://vimeo.com/66604761

"Foreign Correspondent" (1940) you can watch in full online here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP6ooaju0cI

Anyway, I guess it would be interesting to find out why TCM can't air those flicks above in Canada.

Think Lee Tsiantis is still looking after film rights for TCM?

Don't know his email addy but you can probably snail-mail him at TCM through:

TCM Viewer Relations

1050 Techwood Drive NW

Atlanta, GA 30318

or try TBS:

Lee Tsiantis Corporate Legal Manager

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.

1 CNN Center

Atlanta, GA 30303

United States

P.S. I just do this service to provide Canucks with some advance notice...

And I can understand why some Canucks complain - they feel they are paying a cable fee to subscribe to TCM and should get all the films on the U.S. schedule.

Personally, I don't mind and understand why TCM makes changes. No complaints from moi...

Some of these substitutions are improvements. THE UNSUSPECTED is very good and certainly not shown as much as the overplayed TO BE OR NOT TO BE. FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT and ARSENIC AND OLD LACE are definitely overplayed, too. Then there's PORTRAIT OF JENNIE which has been shown at least a half dozen times this year, if not more.

Yes, Canadian viewers are being saved from some of the usual suspects. It's the U.S. viewers that are forced to sit through the programmers' favorites again and again.

Think they want to appease Miss Wonderly with a FN like "The Unsuspected":

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/146837/Unsuspected-The-Original-Trailer-.html

The_Unsuspected_film_poster.jpg

http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/e301f062

I believe this Thursday's airing of Three on a Couch is going to be preempted for Canadian viewers, who will get Three on a Chesterfield instead. ;)

[ducking]

Nobody's been updating this thread, which is kind of irritating to me.  I just learned today that TCM Canada this Monday will not be showing The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie or Diary of a Chambermaid.  Instead it will be showing two forties films will nothing in common with Bunuel.

And on the last day of the month Canadians don't get to seeTopaze either.  It's like every highlight of the month is being systematically removed for Canadians.

I believe this Thursday's airing of Three on a Couch is going to be preempted for Canadian viewers, who will get Three on a Chesterfield instead. ;)

[ducking]

And Get Out Your Handkerchiefs is being pre-empted by Get Out Your Serviettes

Barton Keyes has posted this in another thread: 

For those who have been wondering about which films we Canadians don't get to watch on TCM in the coming weeks, here is a list of all the substitutions for 31 Days of Oscar. The substitutions for the month of March will follow shortly.

31 Days of Oscar 2015 on TCM Canada:

On Monday, February 2 at 9:15AM, MRS. PARKINGTON (1944) replaces RANDOM HARVEST (1942)

On Tuesday, February 3 at 3:15PM, WATCH ON THE RHINE (1943) replaces FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT (1940)

On Wednesday, February 4 at 12:00MIDNIGHT, THAT GIRL FROM PARIS (1936) replaces GRANDE ILLUSION (1937)

On Wednesday, February 4 at 2:00AM, ROMEO AND JULIET (1936) replaces THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA (1937)

On Sunday, February 8 at 3:00PM, DAVID COPPERFIELD (1935) replaces NATIONAL VELVET (1944)

On Tuesday, February 10 at 12:15AM, I REMEMBER MAMA (1948) replaces DUEL IN THE SUN (1946)

On Thursday, February 12 at 9:30PM, THIS LAND IS MINE (1943) replaces THE THIRD MAN (1949)

On Thursday, February 12 at 5:30AM, BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK (1955) replaces THE LAVENDER HILL MOB (1951)

On Sunday, February 15 at 9:00AM, JOHNNY BELINDA (1948) replaces T-MEN (1948)

On Monday, February 16 at 1:00AM, KITTY FOYLE (1940) replaces GIGI (1958)

On Wednesday, February 18 at 5:15AM, THE DIRTY DOZEN (1967) replaces LOLITA (1962)

On Tuesday, February 24 at 6:30PM, TOM, DICK AND HARRY (1941) replaces IT HAPPENED TOMORROW (1944)

On Friday, February 27 at 12:15PM, JUAREZ (1939) replaces THE LION IN WINTER (1968)

On Monday, March 2 beginning at 8:00PM, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1935), GRAND PRIX (1966) and RYAN’S DAUGHTER (1970) replace THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY (2001/2002/2003)

On Tuesday, March 3 at 10:00PM, VICTOR/VICTORIA (1982) replaces THE KING’S SPEECH (2010)

If anyone is disappointed missing them, I have:

great movie- NATIONAL VELVET (1944)

so so movie: IT HAPPENED TOMORROW (1944)

replace THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY (2001/2002/2003)

Consider yourselves lucky.

THE KING’S SPEECH (2010)

This is definitely worth seeing. Try your library for a copy.

January 28 is Richard Attenborough night except in Canada where they could not even find an Attenborough film to substitute for "The Angry Silence". Canadians get to see " The Vintage" - Richard Attenborough free. Strangely pathetic that this is the best that TCM Canada could do given the career Mr. Attenborough had.