Fedya

Can we have oldest posts first?

53 posts in this topic

Within individual threads, is there any way to have the oldest posts appear at the top? I'm not talking about the first page for each of the forums like "General Discussions" where there are "filters", but the pages for each of the individual threads within General Discussions or the other forums.

In English, it's natural to read left-to-right and top-to-bottom, so why have threads where the first post is on the bottom, and then you have to scroll up to find a response, and so on and so on?

• Like 7

Hello - I wanted to get back to you on this.  Unfortunately, the majority of boards and posters prefer the most recent post listed first in discussions.  We'll look at a possible option to add a link to the original post to help, but for now, we'll need to stick to this convention.  Thanks for the inquiry though. 

the majority of boards and posters prefer the most recent post listed first in discussions.

How do you know this? Did you take a poll?

This is the only board I've ever frequented where newest-post-first is not only the default option, but the only option.

IMDb, Free Republic, Democratic Underground, FlyerTalk (1.3 million threads), Digital Spy (1.7 million threads), City Data (1.7 million threads), Bodybuilding.com (5.7 million threads) are all oldest-post first.

• Like 5

To view posts in Ascending or Descending order...

1. Sign in

2. Click your name at the top of the screen

3. Select My Content

4. Select Only posts from the left side screen

5. Select Ascending or Descending from above thread column

Enjoy!

Thanks KidDabb, but those settings are only to view your OWN posts, not the entire thread. The moderator stated elsewhere there currently is no way to set your preferences to view "oldest (original) post first".

So for now, we'll just have to wait until they resolve it, if ever.

(but I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to read in chronological order-on a long thread I just choose to view the last page)

• Like 4

Thank you, TikiSoo. I thought I had it there.

This is certainly an odd way of offering that feature. Most other sites I visit have a button for this right on the front page with Main Topics/Forums.

• Like 1

I, too would like to have the original post as post #1, on page #1. That way, when you go to first unread post, you start with the top of that post, and scroll down. If you want to refer back to an old post, its number never changes, so you can find it. All of the other forums I go to do it that way. One, the Audio Video Science Forum is a very big board, bigger than this one, by far. 

• Like 4

I find it hard to believe that most prefer the newest post be the first one viewed. I also do the Broadway Message Board and there the oldest is the first one listed,and one scrolls DOWN to go in chronological order,as people READ THAT WAY! If one one wants to go to the latest post it's easy to go to that page.

It is so annoying on TCM trying to go to the oldest and then scrolling up. I was positive that this would be addressed with the new board fix up - boy was I disappointed!

Please consider making this an option.

• Like 4

Hello - I wanted to get back to you on this.  Unfortunately, the majority of boards and posters prefer the most recent post listed first in discussions.  We'll look at a possible option to add a link to the original post to help, but for now, we'll need to stick to this convention.  Thanks for the inquiry though.

absolutely. i always had my settings on most recent first. i didnt need to go back to eve to see what had been going on lately.

absolutely. i always had my settings on most recent first. i didnt need to go back to eve to see what had been going on lately.

But... many boards I frequent already have a link with the thread title, that takes you to the most recent post since your last visit. Some boards, but not all, even have a link to your last post, and most boards have a link to the last post posted.

Reading "up" the page is counter to every other board I have visited.

I vote for this to be changed, to option the listing, ascending, or descending. :)

• Like 3

I agree with the previous poster. Though I've gotten used to this system for the most part I do find it inconvenient with long posts where I have to scroll up to read the beginning of the post, then scroll down to finish reading, then scroll up again to read the next.

• Like 5

I find it hard to believe that most prefer the newest post be the first one viewed. I also do the Broadway Message Board and there the oldest is the first one listed,and one scrolls DOWN to go in chronological order,as people READ THAT WAY! If one one wants to go to the latest post it's easy to go to that page.

It is so annoying on TCM trying to go to the oldest and then scrolling up. I was positive that this would be addressed with the new board fix up - boy was I disappointed!

Please consider making this an option.

Well I'm another one that prefers the newest post first.    But I agree that users should have the option to pick how they wish post to display.   

Another vote for oldest posts first here.

I frequent many forums, and this is the only one that works this way.  It is discombobulating, and it ought to tell us something that the standard way is to read in chronological order.

All the standard BBN software has a feature to jump you to the first unread post in the thread (based on your individual posting identity).

It's much, much better.

• Like 4

Since I just joined because I'm going crazy not being able to use WatchTCM on my laptop due to what is apparently an xauth timeout between TCM and Xfinity, I thought I would browse the forums and maybe chat a bit, now that I've found them.

But it's SUPER CONFUSING that all the threads are reverse chronological, so that I have to scroll and click back just to figure out what anyone's talking about, or to see the original question/topic.

Is there a way to change this so that when I click on a thread title, the first post on the page is ALSO the first post in the thread??

To be quite honest, these streaming issues and now forum issues + lack of visible/helpful support (it took me 3 weeks to figure out a google search that even brought up the relevent support thread here, and I'm not a newbie) is really making me lose faith and goodwill towards TCM.

(In fact, it's all so confusing that when I went back to the Support forum I originally found, I didn't realize the TCM Forum itself had a different section for support issues...)

• Like 3

Since I just joined because I'm going crazy not being able to use WatchTCM on my laptop due to what is apparently an xauth timeout between TCM and Xfinity, I thought I would browse the forums and maybe chat a bit, now that I've found them.

But it's SUPER CONFUSING that all the threads are reverse chronological, so that I have to scroll and click back just to figure out what anyone's talking about, or to see the original question/topic.

Is there a way to change this so that when I click on a thread title, the first post on the page is ALSO the first post in the thread??

To be quite honest, these streaming issues and now forum issues + lack of visible/helpful support (it took me 3 weeks to figure out a google search that even brought up the relevent support thread here, and I'm not a newbie) is really making me lose faith and goodwill towards TCM.

(In fact, it's all so confusing that when I went back to the Support forum I originally found, I didn't realize the TCM Forum itself had a different section for support issues...)

No option yet for a user to select if the order of the post.    I actual like the way it is but either way there should be an option so each user can select how they want it.

• Like 1

No, no option. Guess they figure it's not worth bothering with.

My goodness....it shouldn't be so difficult to FIX. After all, post #1 SHOULD be post #1. This post, which will be the seventeenth post in this thread, will become #1.

DUMB.

As Valentine said: "If you want to refer back to an old post, its number never changes, so you can find it."

That's reason enough to tell you this current set up is wrong.

• Like 3

No, no option. Guess they figure it's not worth bothering with.

My goodness....it shouldn't be so difficult to FIX. After all, post #1 SHOULD be post #1. This post, which will be the seventeenth post in this thread, will become #1.

DUMB.

As Valentine said: "If you want to refer back to an old post, its number never changes, so you can find it."

That's reason enough to tell you this current set up is wrong.

Again,  I don't feel the current way is dumb at all.    Really,  you would rather see the 16 post you have already read just to get to the latest one you haven't read?   Sorry but to me that is way less useful and logical than showing the most recent unread post first.   (especially for threads that have 50,  100,  200 post).

But how it should really work is that when one uses the 'view new content' option (which I use 100% of the time),  and click on a sub-category forum,  the system takes one to the oldest unread post.     Using your example,  if the last unread post was #14,  it would take me to that post and then, #15, #16 and #17 would be above #14.   Again,  why would one wish to go first to posts they already have read and have to scroll,  either up or down,  to get to the first unread post?  

Isn't the main objective in coming here to read posts one has never read before?  

For me the issue has less to do with scrolling efficiency or whatever and more to do with reading and eye movement. I (and probably many others) like reading the content of a topic from top to bottom not bottom to top -- it just flows better that way probably because all you have to do is read from left to right and continue downwards. Whereas with the current post order, you read from left to right, down, and then go up past the post you just got done reading to get to the next post. To me, that's inefficient and clunky.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the majority of boards and posters prefer the most recent post listed first in discussions.  We'll look at a possible option to add a link to the original post to help, but for now, we'll need to stick to this convention.

Great, my first post here (which does not bode well) is to say that TCMModerator3 is on crack.  Either the powers that be do not understand the request put forth here, or they don't understand how forums like this are supposed to work (I think there must be confusion about forums vs. comments), and/or they don't visit other forums.  The statement above about "the majority of boards" is clearly false to anyone familiar with this.

I predict I will have a very short life in the TCM Forums.

And that's unfortunate.

• Like 1

Great, my first post here (which does not bode well) is to say that TCMModerator3 is on crack.  Either the powers that be do not understand the request put forth here, or they don't understand how forums like this are supposed to work (I think there must be confusion about forums vs. comments), and/or they don't visit other forums.  The statement above about "the majority of boards" is clearly false to anyone familiar with this.

I predict I will have a very short life in the TCM Forums.

And that's unfortunate.

I'm one of those users that like to see the latest (most recent) post FIRST,  followed by subsequent post (ordered by when they were created).      i.e. I like the current way posts are displayed.

Why would you rather see the oldest post FIRST?     For frequent users like myself I just wish to see post I have NOT read yet.   This is why I use the 'view new content' feature.    This feature shows only those forums that have content NOT read by the user and takes one right to the most recent unread post per thread.

It's not just what order you want to see posts in. It's how posts are numbered. The post number should be tied to the post and not change. As it is, the post number changes as new posts are made. This makes referring to posts by post number useless.

The "View New Content" button in the bar above is what should be used to quickly see new posts that have been added since you last viewed the topic.

It's not just what order you want to see posts in. It's how posts are numbered. The post number should be tied to the post and not change. As it is, the post number changes as new posts are made. This makes referring to posts by post number useless.

The "View New Content" button in the bar above is what should be used to quickly see new posts that have been added since you last viewed the topic.

Yes,  the numbering changes.   Therefore if one wish to refer to a prior post,  the best option is the 'quote' feature.   Note that one can edit out what is in the 'quote'.   This is useful when quoting real long post or those with pictures \ links (e.g. I 'cut' out pictures since they are redundant).

I think you fail to realize that there is a reason that the posts are numbered in the first place and by displaying them in this way defeats that purpose. I like to have my mail displayed newest first but this is not a mail reader. It appears that you don't have much experience with forums or forum software.

Deaf ears, I suppose.

• Like 1