Fedya

Can we have oldest posts first?

53 posts in this topic

I just came back to have a look after giving up on this two years ago, and I still can't believe it. Where the lie shows through is the fact that post numbers don't stay the same--you can't refer to "see post #x" unless a thread is closed or never has a new post.

Absolutely ridiculous.

You shouldn't take posts here that seriously, though I have raised an eyebrow over that too.

The ordering problem with post numbers here is probably due to one of two things.  Either they went into the server-side PHP code and did an incomplete job of hacking it themselves, or else the reversed thread order is a non-default option that gets used so rarely that none of the developers of "IP Board 3.4.5" ever thought to finish it by that release.

This site is designed for frequent users.   E.g. if one comes here 2 - 4 times per day,  one wouldn't want to be taken to all of the old threads,  each and every time  (some threads have thousands of post).

Since I'm a frequent users I use the 'view new content' feature which only shows me post I have NOT yet read and the button that takes me to the oldest unread post.   

BUT,  there should be an option that allows users to always go to the oldest posts,  read or not,  each time they enter.

I've probably made this case before.  As a frequent poster on some other forums, I am completely used to seeing the page numbers of each thread on the index page, and just clicking on the very last page number.  That is just the first thing I normally do, on any board.  I have to consciously reverse that thinking process just for this board.  Not a problem, and I am not complaining.  It is just out of the ordinary.

I've probably made this case before.  As a frequent poster on some other forums, I am completely used to seeing the page numbers of each thread on the index page, and just clicking on the very last page number.  That is just the first thing I normally do, on any board.  I have to consciously reverse that thinking process just for this board.  Not a problem, and I am not complaining.  It is just out of the ordinary.

For me it is the exact opposite 'issue';   E.g. The Jazz Guitar Forum;   If one just clicks directly on the link to a thread (listed under a sub-forum),  one is taken to the oldest post.   To get to the newest (and therefore unread) posts,  one has to click 'last'.   But this 'last' option is only available when a thread has over a certain number of post.

So when I'm in the Jazz forum I have to remember to click 'last'  instead of just clicking on the link to the thread AND if it is a thread with only a few post  I have to scroll down to the newer ones.

I know I'm in the minority,  but I like how this TCM site works better than the Jazz forum (which appears to be the more common way).