Swithin

Favorite Line from Movie

203 posts in this topic

Bio 47's thread

"We will find a way.  It might fail, and if it does and I am still alive, I will try to pass on my information, my mission, to someone else.  Perhaps to a better man, who does not fail. Because there is always someone else.  .  .  That is the mistake the Germans always make with people they try to destroy.  There will be always someone else. "

To Have and Have Not (1944)

My grandmother used to say, some people grow up and some people just grow older. 

Kings Row  (1940)

I am the master of my fate and the captain of my soul.  -Invictus

Bio47's thread

"You committed, uh, I think they call it bigamy."

"I did not!  I just married two girls!"

...Phil Silvers and William Bendix in Don Juan Quilligan 

Fred walks in to find Ted dancing alone to a recording of "Pennsylvania 6-5000," while reading the Bible:

Fred: "What is this, some strange Glenn Miller-based religious ceremony?"

Ted: "No, Presbyterian."

Chris Eigeman (Fred) to Taylor Nichols (Ted) in Barcelona (1994)

"My feelings and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I would have to tell you: you have bewitched me body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on." Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Mr. Darcy (Matthew MacFadyen) to Elizabeth (Keira Knightley).

I have a lot of favorite lines from movies but this one, by far, is number one on my list.

• Like 1

The More the Merrier :

Benjamin (Charles Coburn) and Joe Carter (Joel McCrea)

Benjamin: What's your name?

Joe Carter: Carter.

Benjamin: Bill Carter?

Joe Carter: Joe Carter.

Benjamin: I used to know a fellow named Bill Carter.

Joe Carter: Wasn't me.

Benjamin: Don't you suppose I know that?

Joe Carter: What'd you ask for, then?

Benjamin: I guess I know what Bill Carter looked like.

Joe Carter: Not like me.

Benjamin: Oh, then, you know Bill Carter.

Joe Carter: No, I don't, but he sounds like a great guy.

Benjamin: Probably your name isn't even Bill Carter.

Joe Carter: Probably not. It's probably Joe Carter.

It has to be this conversation from last year's Penguins of Madagascar movie... Just hilarious!

Private, having just hatched from an egg, wonders if the three penguins in front of him are his family. While the penguins confer for a moment to come up with something good to say, Kowalski gets all awkward and says something dumb in the moment.

Private: "Are you my family?"

Kowalski: "You don't have a family and we're all gonna die."

Private: "What?"

Skipper: "What's the matter with you Kowalski?"

:D:D:D

Richard Sumner and Bunny Watson discussing his patented machine "EMMARAC"-the Electromagnetic Memory and Research Arithmetical Calculator.

Richard Sumner: Did you ever see one of these electronic brains work? EMMARAC, for example?

Bunny Watson: Yeah, yeah, just this morning as a matter of fact. I saw a demonstration at IBM.

Richard Sumner: Did you see it translate Russian into Chinese?

Bunny Watson: Yeah, I saw it do everything. Frightening. Gave me the feeling that maybe, just maybe, people were a little bit outmoded.

Richard Sumner: Mmmm, wouldn't surprise me a bit if they stopped making them.

Spencer Tracy (Richard Sumner) to Bunny Watson (Katherine Hepburn) in Desk Set-1957.

My favorite Tracy and Hepburn movie.

• Like 1

d68310c1afe65090bd7a4fb8109baf88.jpg
Balance of Terror

Mr. Spock: I agree. Attack.

Captain James T. Kirk: Are you suggesting we fight... to prevent a fight?

Dr. McCoy: Based on what? Memories of a war over a century ago? On theories about a people we've never even met face to face?

Stiles: We know what they look like...

Mr. Spock: Yes, indeed we do, Mr. Stiles. And if the Romulans are an offshoot of my Vulcan blood - and I think this likely - then attack becomes even more imperative.

Dr. McCoy: War is never imperative, Mr. Spock.

Mr. Spock: It is for them, Doctor. Vulcan, like Earth, had its aggressive, colonizing period - savage, even by Earth standards - and if the Romulans retain this martial philosophy, then weakness is something we dare not show.

RIP

... Let me explain a little.  I don't think he'll change. At 21 or 22, so many things appear solid and permanent and terrible which 40 sees in nothing but disappearing miasma.  Forty can't tell 20 about this. Twenty can find out only by getting to be 40.  And so we come to this, dear: Will you live your life your way or George's way?  Dear, it breaks my heart for you.  But what you have to oppose now is the history of your own selfless and perfect motherhood.  Are you strong enough, Isabel?  Can you make a fight?  

I promise you that if you will take heart for it you will find so quickly that it's all amounted to nothing.  You shall have happiness and only happiness. I'm saying too much for wisdom, I fear.  But, oh, my dear, won't you be strong? Such a little short strength it would need. 

Don't strike my life down twice, dear. This time, I've not deserved it.

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) 

Because those are the rules between grown-up men and women, or should be.  The trouble is, the game is so one-sided for a man.

-Cary Grant

Indiscreet  (1958)

Katharine Hepburn's speech to Hillary in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner:

Now I have some instructions for you. I want you to go straight back to the gallery - Start your motor - When you get to the gallery tell Jennifer that she will be looking after things temporarily, she's to give me a ring if there's anything she can't deal with herself. Then go into the office, and make out a check, for "cash," for the sum of $5,000. Then carefully, but carefully Hilary, remove absolutely everything that might subsequently remind me that you had ever been there, including that yellow thing with the blue bulbs which you have such an affection for. Then take the check, for $5,000, which I feel you deserve, and get - permanently - lost. It's not that I don't want to know you, Hilary - although I don't - it's just that I'm afraid we're not really the sort of people that you can afford to be associated with.  Don't speak, Hilary, just... go.

Sorry Gus, I just throw those lines out there, so pardon for missing your charming response.  

completely missed you were referring to Indiscreet.. 

From Rebecca:

Mrs. Danvers:  She knew everyone that mattered. Everyone loved her.

Mystic seer:  I see the spectre of evil hovering over you. You are standing on the edge of a deep precipice of trouble. the dark pixie of misfortune is reaching out for you...

Young Mr. Cabot:  That's my wife. What I want to know is what to do about it.

Mystic seer: Have patience my lad... Ah, I see your past coming up before me..

Young Mr. Cabot:   Never mind about the past. It's the future I'm worried about

Mystic seer:   Ah, yes, your future.....  Does your wife know this young lady she saw you with tonight?

Young Mr. Cabot:  No, but she and her flatfoot will know her the next time they see her.  they must have gotten a good look at her..

Mystic seer:  Ah, the crystal tells me she better leave town at once. Get her away, so your wife never lays eyes on her again.  That'll be Fifty dollars please.  

- My Lucky Star (1938)

Lorentza: Love is divine.

Cagliostro: Common mistake. Fire also used to be divine until Prometheus stole it. Now we use it to boil water.

Formula of Love (1984)

• Like 1

Rollo Dane:  Then if I were you, I'd go and find him. Don't cheat yourself of love the way I did. Listen to me! Don't stop to bargain for happiness, for in one wasted moment, a door may close, a ship may sail, a train may leave, a man may die. Go after him or make your mind you'll never see him again.

Enchantment (1948)

Bio41's Thread

"We live in a primitive time, don't we, Will?  Half measures are the curse of it.  Any sane society would either kill me or put me to some use...."

...In a letter from Hannibal Lector at the end of Red Dragon  (2002)

Pacha: Why did I risk my life for a selfish brat like you? I was always taught that there was some good in everyone, but, oh, you proved me wrong.

Kuzco: Oh, boo-hoo. Now I feel really bad. Bad llama.

Pacha: I could've let you die out there in that jungle, and then all my problems would be over.

Kuzco: Well, that makes you ugly and stupid.

The Emperor's New Groove (2000)

Bio47's Thread

"I hate cops, don't you hate cops?

"Nooo, but I do seem to feel better when they're not around.

...Faye Dunaway and Mickey Rourke in Barfly

"Windy: A man's hands never seem to get clean, even if he don't touch nothing. They just stay dirty. Sort of a special kind of dirt. G.I. dirt. I bet one of those criminologists could take a sample out of a guy's fingernail, put it under a microscope, and say, "That's G.I. dirt." The dirt's always the same color, no matter what country you're fighting in."

-from A Walk in the Sun ('45)