Swithin

Favorite Line from Movie

204 posts in this topic

qv.jpg

Petronius:  To Nero, Emperor of Rome, Master of the World, Divine Pontiff. I know that my death will be a disappointment to you, since you wished to render me this service yourself. To be born in your reign is a miscalculation; but to die in it is a joy. I can forgive you for murdering your wife and your mother, for burning our beloved Rome, for befouling our fair country with the stench of your crimes. But one thing I cannot forgive - the boredom of having to listen to your verses, your second-rate songs, your mediocre performances. Adhere to your special gifts, Nero - murder and arson, betrayal and terror. Mutilate your subjects if you must; but with my last breath I beg you - do not mutilate the arts. Fare well, but compose no more music. Brutalize the people, but do not bore them, as you have bored to death your friend, the late Gaius Petronius.

• Like 1

Nero:  I am surrounded by eunuchs!  (Speaking to Petronius)   Why do you stand aloof? You're my counselor.  Why don't you counsel me? 

Petronius:  Let them enter.  We shall all die. All except you. You, of course, being a god, are immortal.

Nero:  Your levity is ill-timed, Petronius.  

• Like 1

Lest we forget the debt we owe:

General Dwight D. Eisenhower's D-Day Speech (featured in "The Longest Day")

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Gus Cerini

• Like 1

"What are you going to do kill me? Everybody dies."

John Garfield as Charlie Davis to Lloyd Gough as Mr. Roberts in Body And Soul, one of my favorite films.

"What a story. Everything but the bloodhounds snapping at her rear end."

Thelma Ritter as Birdie delivers this fabulous line in All About Eve after hearing Eve's "tragic" background story.

"The Bed looks like a dead animal act." Another great Thelma Ritter line from All About Eve.

There are so many incredible lines in All About Eve there isn't enough time to list them all. But of course then there's probably the most memorable "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night." from the great Bette Davis my favorite actress.

Ma Joad:  Rich fellas come up an' they die, an' their kids ain't no good an' they die out. But we keep a'comin'. We're the people that live. They can't wipe us out; they can't lick us. We'll go on forever, Pa, 'cause we're the people.

The Grapes of Wrath (1940)

• Like 1

Here is a favorite dialogue from the ending of a 1941 classic that always chokes me up: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033712/?ref_=nv_sr_5

Ralph Murdock (Bruce Farnsworth/Joe Pendleton) bumps into Bette Logan in the stadium:

Ralph: Excuse me.

Bette: I’m sorry.

You lookin’ for somebody?

Yes, Mr. Corkle. They said he might be in Mr. Murdock’s dressing room.

Don’t I know you?

I don’t think so.

No. I guess I thought for a minute I did. Funny, sometimes you feel you know people.

Yes.

Is that the way to the dressing room?

Yeah. Did you like the fight?

I didn’t see it.

Oh.

But I heard it on the.....your eye is hurt.

Oh, it’s nothing, it’s just a little swollen.

It’s all red.

It doesn’t hurt. I’m Murdock.

Oh.

Ralph Murdock.

And you’re, uh?

Logan, Bette Logan

Hello.

How do you do?

Glad to know you. You interested in the fight game?

I knew a man who was.

Do I know him?

Bruce Farnsworth.

Oh, yeah, they were telling me about him. He was killed.

Yes.

I'm sorry. Was he a friend of yours?

I loved him.

That's too bad.

Yes, but I don't know why...Maybe it was the kindest thing. He was so troubled. I...I don't seem to

feel...

Bette reaches for his bandage

What did you do that for?

Your bandage was loose....I didn't mean to.

Well, it felt kind of good.

You know you were looking at me just now. You were kinda lookin’ right through my eyes.

Lights go out

What’s that?

Oh, don't be scared. It's just a warning. All lights out. In the darkness, your voice sounded like

I'd heard it someplace before. I couldn't remember where. You didn't feel that, did you?

Well, yes. I felt I was standing high up looking out over the sea...and someone was swimming

toward me, shouting something. Something I felt I'd heard long ago.

And I said, "Don't be scared."

Oh, did you? People are always thinking they knew someone before...in another existence.

You know I had a feeling tonight I was in a hurry to meet somebody I knew. There’s a little place

around the corner. Nice little place called Mike’s where I go after the fight. You wouldn’t want

to...No, I guess you wouldn’t want to tonight feeling the way you do about him. I guess not, huh?

What was it he said? If I was to meet a fighter, I was to....I’d love to go with you, Mr. Murdock!

--Gus Cerini

Here is a favorite dialogue from the ending of a 1941 classic that always chokes me up: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033712/?ref_=nv_sr_5

Ralph Murdock (Bruce Farnsworth/Joe Pendleton) bumps into Bette Logan in the stadium:

This one gets me too, every time. A perfect combination of acting, script and music which swells and culminates into one great closing scene.

Woody Allen in Manhattan:

"You know a lot of geniuses. You should meet stupid people once in a while. You could learn something."

Thelma Ritter in All About Eve:

"You want an argument or an answer?"

Peter O'Toole in The Stunt Man:

"If God could do the tricks that we can do He'd be a happy man".

Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard:

"We had faces then".

The final exchange between Walter Huston and Ruth Chatterton in Dodsworth is amazing:
Fran: "Are you going back to that washed out expatriate in Naples?"

Sam: "Yes, and when I marry her I'm going back to doing things"

Fran: "Do you think you'll ever get me out of your blood?"

Sam: "Maybe not, but love's got to stop some place short of suicide!"

Fran: "He's gone ashore! He's gone ashore!"

Woody Allen in Manhattan:

"You know a lot of geniuses. You should meet stupid people once in a while. You could learn something."

Thelma Ritter in All About Eve:

"You want an argument or an answer?"

Peter O'Toole in The Stunt Man:

"If God could do the tricks that we can do He'd be a happy man".

Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard:

"We had faces then".

The final exchange between Walter Huston and Ruth Chatterton in Dodsworth is amazing:

Fran: "Are you going back to that washed out expatriate in Naples?"

Sam: "Yes, and when I marry her I'm going back to doing things"

Fran: "Do you think you'll ever get me out of your blood?"

Sam: "Maybe not, but love's got to stop some place short of suicide!"

Fran: "He's gone ashore! He's gone ashore!"

I learned this from a stupid person:

1) The Warren Report on the JFK assassination was fiction.

2) Woody Allen is a profound thinker.

Clara:  ... Do you remember the night I came to your apartment to wrestle--and remained to type? Do you remember my saying to you, 'I'm really looking at you for the first time?'

Stanley Crown: Yes.

Clara:  Well, that's what happening now.  You're really looking at me, for the first time...  Only it's too late now. The timing is all wrong.  Two people have to look at each other for the first time, at the same time-- or it's no good. 

Forever Female (1953) 

"Heroes, whatever high ideas we may have of them, are mortal and not divine. We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse."

-- Narrator (Michael MacLiammoir) in Tom Jones (1963)

"Hello, Devil. Welcome to Hell".

Gene Kelly in Inherit the Wind

From the same movie:  Spencer Tracy after his character is told he couldn't say "God" or "hell" or "damn" on the radio says,

"This will be a barren source of amusement."

Sepiatone

But that doesn't prove anything. Scientists could write all the books they like about love being a trap of nature. I remember reading that, it's biology and the chemistry inside that fools them.  But all the scientists are going to convince other scientists, not women in love.  I don't say Joe is the greatest thing that ever lived. Probably wouldn't love him if he was, I'd just want to look at him.  But you see, I'm not the greatest girl in the world either.  Two people look at each other and they see something way deep inside that nobody else can, and that's it. 

The Devil and Miss Jones  (1941)

"I made him pay for what he wanted. You made him pay for what he didn't want"

Paulette Goddard in The Women

• Like 1

Rick: Well, I guess neither one of our stories is very funny. Tell me, who was it you left me for? Was it Lazlo, or were there others in between or... aren't you the kind that tells?

Casablanca  (1942)

• Like 1

One of my longtime favorites is from Animal Crackers.

Groucho (romancing two women at the same time): You two have everything. You're tall and short and slim and stout and blonde and brunette, and that's just the kind of a girl I crave.

This scene in Casablanca, translated.

French Officer: [in French] Say, you are French, yet you go out with a German like this!

Yvonne: [in French] What are you butting in for?

French Officer: [in French] I am butting in...

Yvonne: [in French] It's none of your business!

German Officer: [in English to the French officer] What did you say to her? Would you kindly repeat it to me?

French Officer: [in English] What I said is none of your business.

German Officer: Then I will make it my business!

They break out in a fight and Rick intervenes.

Rick: I don't like disturbances in my place. Either lay off politics or get out!

French Officer: [in French, to German officer] Dirty Boche. Someday we'll have our revenge!

• Like 1