Swithin

Favorite Line from Movie

204 posts in this topic

Bio 47’s thread

First Woman     Will you ask Rick if he'll have a drink with us?

Carl                    Madame, he never drinks with customers. Never. I have never seen him.

--Hollywood’s Masterpiece

I want to remind everyone that December 2 is the 70th anniversary of the story's beginning as first noted by Casablancalover in her post on Veterans' Day, 2007 (page 20 of the old Casablanca thread) because Rick can be seen endorsing a check dated “2 Decembre 41”. This is five days before Pearl Harbor and America’s entry into the war.

I try to watch it on that date every year and in the past often asked TCM to show it on that date. But I have no beef. They show it often during the year.

--Gus Cerini

Oh dear, Gus.  I was just mentioning the death of old threads (let them lie) on General topics but I am glad you brought up December 2nd.  It's this Wednesday and I will be watching Casablanca (with a Kir Royale or Chambord+Champagne created cocktail of my own) in celebration and reverence of the love story wrapped in the ugliness of war, set in a city filled with refugees, desperate and still trying to retain their dignity. 

See you here Wednesday.

• Like 1

Dear Casablanca100views: Don’t have any Veuve Clicquot around, but will join you with a champagne cocktail on Wednesday. Hope others will join in too.

--Gus Cerini

• Like 1

Sorry, gang; I fell asleep before posting on Dec 2nd. But I will tell you how Casablanca ends.

Rick:  Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. 

I always watch the whole thing.  Love it.

• Like 1

Eliza Doolittle: Didn't ah sy that?

Professor Henry Higgins: No, Eliza, you didn't "sy" that, you didn't even "say" that. Now every night before you get into bed, where you used to say your prayers, I want you to say "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain" fifty times. You'll get much further with the Lord if you learn not to offend His ears.

-My Fair Lady (1964)

There are so many great quotes in this film, but this is definitely one that sticks out to me. Also, this one from Bette Davis' film Now Voyager:

Don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars. (Now Voyager; 1942)

• Like 1

(Little Shirley Temple grows up into supporting roles)

Barbara Marshall: [in tears] Mary, I... Mary, I... I'm so ashamed. Please forgive me. I love you, Mary, and I wouldn't want to hurt you, not for anything. I understand something... I understand something now that I never knew before, that you can make a mistake, do something dreadful, without meaning to... Oh, Mary!

I'll Be Seeing You (1944)

Bridget 'Brig' Hilton: [in tears] . . I pray the Lord my soul to take. And God bless Pop, and mother, and Jane. and Fidelia, and Uncle Tony, and Soda. And please God, make Pop safe. Oh, i know he is safe -- you wouldn't let anything happen to him. But Please, make him safe anyway. Amen. 

Since You Went Away (1944)

• Like 1

If love is right, it is the most precious gift in the world. But you must be sure, very sure, that it is right. For if it isn't, there is no worse agony, nothing more bitter, nothing more lonely to be imagined.

- All This and Heaven Too (1940)

When the weak are also cruel, we should beware of them, my friend. The weak know how to use their power. They have soft, white hands with which to squeeze and squeeze.

Charles Boyer, in All This, and Heaven Too (1940)

• Like 2

Cold are the hands of time that creep along relentlessly, destroying slowly but without pity that which yesterday was young. Alone our memories resist this disintegration and grow more lovely with the passing years. Heh! That's hard to say with false teeth!

Robert Dudley as the Weinie King in THE PALM BEACH STORY

• Like 2

Some of my favourite lines from THE GUNS OR NAVARONE:

"Somebody's *got* to take responsibility if the job's going to get done, do you think that's easy?"

- Captain Mallory in THE GUNS OF NAVARONE to Corporal Miller

"I've inspected this vessel, and I think you ought to know that, ah, I can't swim.'

"I'll keep it in mind".

- Miller to Mallory who then answers.

"Guns of Navarone" = the "bloody - bloody - bloody" speech by Richard Harris towards the beginning.

"Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai" = Most of Dr Emilio/John Whorfin's lines like:

"Laugh-a while you can, Monkey Boy!!" and "Home... home is where you wear your hat... I feel so breakup, I wanna go home."

• Like 1

And for more adult tastes:

Most of Matt Dillon's lines in "There's Something About Mary"

and Woody Harrelson's landlady (Lin Shaye also Magda in above) in "Kingpin" about jarring something loose.

I always laugh out loud when Jack Warden comments about James Mason to Paul Newman in "The Verdict":

Mickey Morrissey: He's a good man? Heh, heh, he's the Prince of #&@$ Darkness! He'll have people testifying they saw her waterskiing in Marblehead last summer.

Forever-Amber-Sanders.png

Amber:  Of course I do, Charles, and I love you....

King Charles:  But you don't and you never have. 

I don't blame you for loving him, but I cannot forgive you for it.

If I hadn't been king, I might have managed some time in my life to fall in love myself.  But instead I've had to create an illusion of happiness.  I've had to pretend to love-- pretend to be loved, At best, it was a fragile device, too easily shattered, as you've shattered it tonight. 

Linda Darnell and George Sanders in Forever Amber (1947)

• Like 2

Bruce: He's got a lot of charm.

Hildy: He comes by it naturally. His grandfather was a snake.

(His Girl Friday; 1940)

Girl: What are you dressed as?

Wednesday: I'm a homicidal maniac. They look just like everyone else.

(Addams Family; 1991)

Velma: I know you. All you care about are swimsuit models.

Fred: Look, I'm a man of substance. Dorky chicks like you turn me on, too.

(Scooby Doo; 2002)

• Like 3

From "Merrily We Live". "These are my dogs, this is 'Get Off The Rug', this is 'You Too' "

• Like 1

From "Merrily We Live". "These are my dogs, this is 'Get Off The Rug', this is 'You Too' "

This is one of my favorite comedy lines. :)

• Like 1

Girl 1: Did you know Charlie Sorrel had a wife?

Girl 2: One of his own?

Goodbye, Charlie (1964)

"There are only two things I dislike about you... Your face."

-Elizabeth Taylor in The Mirror Crack'd