jakeem

TCM On Demand (Comcast)

1,657 posts in this topic

TCM On Demand for April 1, 2016

The following feature is now available on TCM On Demand for a limited time:

Rififi (1955) -- Jean Servais, Carl Möhner, Robert Manuel, Perlo Vita, Marie Sabouret, Magali Noël. This heist film was the first effort by American director Jules Dassin after he moved to France upon being blacklisted in the 1950s for previous Communist sympathies. The drama was the first picture to be screened at the 1955 Cannes Film Festival. It went on to earn Best Director honors for Dassin, which he shared with the Russian filmmaker Sergei Vasilyev of "Heroes of Shipka."

Shot on a low budget, Dassin's film stars the Belgian actor Servais as Tony le Stéphanois, the mastermind of a bold plan to burglarize a Parisian jewelry store.

Vita was the stage name for Dassin, who pulled double duty on this film by co-starring as safecracker César le Milanais. A decade later, Dassin won praise for another film about a jewel heist, “Topkapi” (1966).

"Rififi" has become celebrated as one of the cinema's great film noir efforts. It has become a favorite among TCM viewers and guest programmers. 

Expires April 8, 2016.

Yay! TCM is back on ON DEMAND, only 5 films and the Steve Martin AFI tribute,but

Thrilled that RIFIFI is showing up, it's a favorite of mine. My tape is so worn out need a new one. btw, I called the Comcast Corporate Headquarters in Philadelphia this morning. They had the regional tech engineer call me. He said he didn't know that TCM was missing on On Demand!!!! He believed me and after much convincing he did issue a $10 credit as a curtesy. something that the local office would not do, using the usual excuse of Comcast offers it as a free service, so can't give a credit :blink:

Let's hope that TCM stays on ON Demand and TCM offers us more selections :)

My TCM on demand is also back on the listing. It only has 4 movies that expire in 2 days. Not sure what that means, hopefully more will show up and it's back to stay. I have also noticed Comcast has been messing with/changing their on demand selections. NOW the encore is missing and combined with Starz. If you click on startz it also includes some encore and some named starzencore. they must have combined them. The only reason I have stayed with Comcast is because of their on demand features and if they continue to mess with it and take off the ones I like/have I will have to change to Uverse. I do not have starz so I can not watch the ones listed as starz only the ones listed as encore. They have also changed one of the encore stations to starzenc..I do wish someone from TCM would tell us what really is going on though. I would like to know who was involved in this and where the so called blame is in the problem with TCM. Any answers TCM??

• Like 1

TCM is back on OnDemand with Steve Martin AFI Salute and 5 movies expiring in 4 days, which is normal. I am not letting this go since I want more movies on OnDemand and thanks to this board maybe we can make a change. B)

• Like 1

TCM On Demand for April 2, 2016

2. Pigskin Parade (1936) -- Stuart Erwin, Patsy Kelly, Jack Haley, Sr., Johnny Downs, Betty Grable, Arline Judge, Dixie Dunbar, Judy Garland, Tony Martin (billed as Anthony Martin), Frank Kohler, Jr., Grady Sutton, Elisha Cook, Jr., Eddie Nugent, Julius Tannen, The Yacht Club Boys. Uncredited: Alan Ladd, Lynn Bari. Garland, Turner Classic Movies' Star of the Month for April 2016, made an auspicious feature film debut in this musical comedy about a struggling Texas college facing a big football game against Yale. Salvation arrives in the form of Amos Dodd (Erwin, in an Oscar-nominated supporting performance), a talented passer from a small town in Arkansas.

Garland, who was 14 when this film was released, performs "It's Love I'm After" and "The Texas Tornado." She also joins other cast members for the song "The Balboa."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qso0q_AlsZM&nohtml5=False

Memorable quote: "I haven't got a brain, either..." -- Texas State University football coach Slug Winters (played by Haley). By a coincidence, Haley would perform the song "If I Only Had a Heart" as The Tin Man in "The Wizard of Oz," which also starred Garland.

Expires April 9, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 2, 2016

1. Listen, Darling (1938) -- Judy Garland, Freddie Bartholomew, Mary Astor, Walter Pidgeon, Alan Hale, Sr., Scotty Beckett, Barnett Parker, Gene Lockhart, Charley Grapewin.  Uncredited: Edgar Dearing. Directed by Edwin L. Marin ("Everybody Sing" and the 1938 version of "A Christmas Carol"), this comedy/drama was the last Garland film released before she attained major stardom in 1939's "The Wizard of Oz." She stars as "Pinkie" Wingate, a teen who decides to find a proper husband for her widowed mother (Astor). Assisting Pinkie in her efforts is her friend "Buzz" Mitchell (Bartholomew). Together, the two youths resort to drastic measures to prevent Pinkie's mom from marrying the unlikable local banker Mr. Drubbs (Lockhart).

This was the first time that Garland performed the song that became one of her standards: "Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart." Written by James F. "Jimmy" Hanley, the song was first performed in the 1934 Broadway show "Thumbs Up!"

Grapewin, who plays Uncle Joe, co-starred with Garland in "The Wizard of Oz" as another avuncular character -- Henry Gale.

Expires April 9, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 3, 2016

3. The Virginian (1946) -- Joel McCrea, Brian Donlevy, Sonny Tufts, Barbara Britton, Fay Bainter, Tom Tully, Henry O'Neill, Bill Edwards, William Frawley, Paul Guilfoyle, Marc Lawrence, Vince Barnett. Uncredited: Stanley Andrews, Ann Carter, Minerva Urecal. Directed by the Oscar-nominated film editor Stuart Gilmore, this Western was one of several screen versions of Owen Wister's 1902 novel about the title character. This time, McCrea plays the Wyoming-based cowboy -- only known as The Virginian -- who must choose between love, loyalty and justice in chasing down a troublesome band of cattle rustlers.

V9DfzTOJCYxm5j9fTvgvWSfh4Q.jpg

The Virginian (McCrea) is confronted by his nemesis Trampas (Donlevy)

A 1929 sound version of Wister's story helped make Gary Cooper a major star. The film is remembered for the scene between Cooper as The Virginian and Walter Huston as Trampas.

Media crossover reference: In the fall of 1962, an NBC television version of "The Virginian" became the small screen's first weekly 90-minute Western. Set in Medicine Bow, Wyoming, the series starred James Drury as The Virginian. This time, Trampas (played by Doug McClure) was a friend and trusted cowhand at the Shiloh Ranch. The series ran for nine seasons. During the final year (1970 to 1971), the series took on the title "The Men from Shiloh" -- and displayed influences from Italian spaghetti Westerns, including an opening theme by Ennio Morricone.

Expires April 10, 2016.

Continued from the previous section:

In the late 1980s, Palance appeared in television ads for a Time-Life Books series about the Old West. In the memorable spots, the actor declared that the 19th-century outlaw and gunslinger John Wesley Hardin once "shot a man for snoring." Palance's character in this movie, Jack Wilson, isn't exactly that ornery -- but he's close.

Media crossover reference No. 1: A short-lived television adaptation of "Shane" aired on the ABC Network in 1966 from September to December. The 17 episodes starred a pre-"Kung Fu" David Carradine as Shane, Jill Ireland (soon to become Mrs. Charles Bronson) as a widowed Marian Starett, Tom Tully as her father-in-law and Christopher Shea as young Joey.

Media crossover reference No. 2: "Shane" was lampooned in several episodes of the campy 1960s "Batman" TV series, in which Cliff Robertson played a Western villain named Shame. In the first two episodes featuring the "Conniving Cowboy of Crime," he was trailed by a determined young boy named Andy (played by Christopher Shea's younger brother, Eric). Robertson returned as Shame for three more "Batman" episodes during the series' run -- this time with a moll named Calamity Jan (played by the actor's wife at the time, Dina Merrill).

snapshot-2014-11-18-at-04_53_58-pm-13121

Robertson as Shame

Expires April 10, 2016.

2. Shane (1953) -- Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Van Heflin, Brandon De Wilde, Jack Palance (billed as Walter Jack Palance), Ben Johnson, Edgar Buchanan, Emile Meyer, Elisha Cook, Jr., Douglas Spencer, John Dierkes, Ellen Corby, Douglas Spencer. John Dierkes, Ellen Corby, Paul McVey, John Miller, Edith Evanson, Leonard Strong, Ray Spiker, Janice Carroll, Martin Mason, Helen Brown, Nancy Kulp. Uncredited: Beverly Washburn, David Ladd, Alana Ladd. Based on the 1949 short novel by Jack Schaefer, George Stevens' classic Western won the Academy Award for Best Color Cinematography (Loyal Griggs). It also earned Oscar nominations for Best Picture and Best Director (Stevens), Best Supporting Actor (De Wilde and Palance) and Best Writing, Screenplay (for A.B. Guthrie, Jr.'s adaptation of the novel).

In 1998, the American Film Institute ranked this drama No. 69 on its list of the greatest movies of all time. When AFI updated the list in 2007, the film rose to No. 45. 

In another AFI survey -- a 2004 look at the top heroes and villains in movie history -- Ladd's Shane was ranked as the No. 16 hero.

A 2008 AFI examination of movie genres ranked the film No. 3 on a Top 10 list of greatest Westerns. It was behind "The Searchers" (1956) and "High Noon" (1952) and ahead of "Unforgiven" (1992), "Red River" (1948), "The Wild Bunch" (1969), "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (1969), "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" (1971), "Stagecoach" (1939) and "Cat Ballou" (1965).

Joey Starett, the hero-worshipping youngster played by De Wilde, delivered the No. 47 line on AFI's 2005 list of the 100 greatest movie quotes of all time.

A sound mix tale: Warren Beatty once told a story about how he wanted the gunfire in his 1967 film "Bonnie and Clyde" to sound like the explosive shots in "Shane." He even received pointers from Stevens, who explained that the noise was created by firing a shotgun into a garbage can.

At an important screening of "Bonnie and Clyde" in London, however, Beatty noticed a problem with the sound mix, so he hurried up to the projection booth for some answers.

"And there's a man who's shocked to see the actor [in the movie] in his booth," Beatty recalled in 2007. "And he said, 'Gee, I really have to tell you something about this picture, kid...They really did it to you on this mix. It's really awful. But I've saved you.' "

The projectionist then showed Beatty a chart with reminders about when to turn down the film's sound for gunshots and music cues. 

"He said, 'You know, I haven't seen a picture this badly mixed since 'Shane.' "

Continued in the next section:

1. Abar, the First Black Superman (1977) -- J. Walter Smith, Tobar Mayo, Roxie Young, Gladys Lum, Tony Rumford, Rupert Williams, Lonnie James, Art Jackson, Allen Ogle, Joe Alberti, Dee Turguand, Nelson Meeker, William Carrol, Jr., James Dickson, Richard Corrigan. When Dr. Kincade (Smith), a brilliant African-American scientist, moves with his family into a previously all-white neighborhood, they encounter stiff resistance. When the opposition becomes dangerous, Kincade concocts a serum that gives his bodyguard John Abar (Mayo) super-human powers. 

abar-black-superman.jpg

Mayo as John Abar

Turner Classic Movies aired the film as part of its TCM Underground series in the early morning hours of Sunday, April 3, 2016.

Expires April 10, 2016.

TCM On Demand is back!  Only four films are on the menu, but that's a start.   :)

I wish there was a direct line to someone at Comcast for programming issues like this.

TCM is back on On Demand on Comcast which we are all grateful for but Can we please, please get an answer to WHAT is going on with TCM and Comcast??? Now there are only 3 movies due to expire tomorrow. Comcast says its TCM who gives the movies for On Demand. Are you planning on staying on On Demand?? Will you go back to having an awesome selection to choose from??? It is very upsetting. And NO ONE can or will give an explanation. Come on TCM! can you tell us something good! TCM addict here in Jacksonville, Fl.

• Like 1

TCM is back on On Demand on Comcast which we are all grateful for but Can we please, please get an answer to WHAT is going on with TCM and Comcast??? Now there are only 3 movies due to expire tomorrow. Comcast says its TCM who gives the movies for On Demand. Are you planning on staying on On Demand?? Will you go back to having an awesome selection to choose from??? It is very upsetting. And NO ONE can or will give an explanation. Come on TCM! can you tell us something good! TCM addict here in Jacksonville, Fl.

I'm also noticing that the three films available for today will expire tomorrow.  When TCM was finally added back to Comcast's On Demand listings on Wednesday, about a dozen films were available.  But as the days have passed, the films are all expiring on their given date and none have replaced them.  

My inquiry to Comcast today led to a Service Expert saying that more limited listings for TCM was true across all cable outlets, and that this was a TCM problem.  I will note, however, that a quick review of help forums for other cable networks besides Comcast show no threads related to any recent problems with TCM's On Demand offerings.

So TCM--please chime in here.  The Comcast cable network finger is being pointed at you.  What's up?

• Like 2

TCM has once again been deleted from the Comcast On Demand list of networks, which is what occurred on April 2.  Although the network and its films were added back on April 6, all of the films listed that day eventually expired and were not replaced.  Of the 3 remaining films yesterday, all were to expire today, and now that they did expire, the entire network is no longer listed as available through On Demand.

What is going on?  TCM--please look into this.  Comcast is claiming the problem is from your side.

• Like 1

OK TCM, What gives? Are all the execs on vacation? on a cruise? We, your fans are getting no answers as to what the problem is between Comcast and you and On Demand. TCM once again has been removed from Comcast On Demand. Comcast says the problem is on your end. That you provide the movies for On Demand. Can someone please let us know what is happening? the Truth? You have die hard loyal fans here asking for answers and no one will let us know something. I mean really, are you guys at TCM all gone, mia? Does ANYONE know? ANYONE AT HOME THERE??? Before you said it was a technical error and was being fixed. Please give us some answers.

• Like 2

OK TCM, What gives? Are all the execs on vacation? on a cruise? We, your fans are getting no answers as to what the problem is between Comcast and you and On Demand. TCM once again has been removed from Comcast On Demand. Comcast says the problem is on your end. That you provide the movies for On Demand. Can someone please let us know what is happening? the Truth? You have die hard loyal fans here asking for answers and no one will let us know something. I mean really, are you guys at TCM all gone, mia? Does ANYONE know? ANYONE AT HOME THERE??? Before you said it was a technical error and was being fixed. Please give us some answers.

Ok, I just found email for Turner Broadcasting and asked what is going on. Not that I will hear back but worth a try. Here is the email address if anyone else would like to try.  turner.information@turner.com

turner.information@turner.com

• Like 1

Ok, I just found email for Turner Broadcasting and asked what is going on. Not that I will hear back but worth a try. Here is the email address if anyone else would like to try.  turner.information@turner.com

Well, I guess we are all being ignored. No answers from anyone. Scrolling down to the end of page I found "Mod Team" and clicked on it. It shows which Mod's have been on recently. Only one showed up "Mod 1" this morning but no reply to our questions about Comcast and On Demand. Either they don't know or don't want to tell. I did notice one person said they have At&t and is still getting on demand. Guess I will have to look into that maybe. So sad that TCM doesn't seem to care about some of us "diehard" TCM fans though, like the one fellow said earlier..but if you want to buy some wine or go on a cruise this is the place to be.

• Like 1

Well, I guess we are all being ignored. No answers from anyone. Scrolling down to the end of page I found "Mod Team" and clicked on it. It shows which Mod's have been on recently. Only one showed up "Mod 1" this morning but no reply to our questions about Comcast and On Demand. Either they don't know or don't want to tell. I did notice one person said they have At&t and is still getting on demand. Guess I will have to look into that maybe. So sad that TCM doesn't seem to care about some of us "diehard" TCM fans though, like the one fellow said earlier..but if you want to buy some wine or go on a cruise this is the place to be.

I just rec'd a notice from Comcast that they have NOT dropped TCM On Demand. They continue to say it is a technical issue and they are working with the vendors to get this resolved. I hope this is true and it gets fixed soon. At least it's an answer.

• Like 1

At least there is some response to this frustrating problem.  Comcast, on their Help Forum, is saying they are having trouble obtaining the films from TCM for their On Demand listings and are working with TCM and the vendor involved.  I'm hoping this will be resolved soon.  Thank you to the posters here for staying on this.

• Like 2

At least there is some response to this frustrating problem.  Comcast, on their Help Forum, is saying they are having trouble obtaining the films from TCM for their On Demand listings and are working with TCM and the vendor involved.  I'm hoping this will be resolved soon.  Thank you to the posters here for staying on this.

This is what Comcast just now said:

Thank you for your continued patience. TCM's vendor is working on redelivering the missing TCM movies today; we expect to see 10-12 titles by this evening. 

Great News if true.
  • Like 3

I just rec'd a notice from Comcast that they have NOT dropped TCM On Demand. They continue to say it is a technical issue and they are working with the vendors to get this resolved. I hope this is true and it gets fixed soon. At least it's an answer.

Another NEW GOOD NEWS report from Comcast:

Thank you for your continued patience. TCM's vendor is working on redelivering the missing TCM movies today; we expect to see 10-12 titles by this evening. 

Hope it's true....
  • Like 1

Another NEW GOOD NEWS report from Comcast:

Hope it's true....

Well, I wish that Time-Warner Cable would stop up and work with TCM's vendor. We have been missing movies for a couple of days, and today there is only one movie availble, Treasure Island. I tried calling Time-Warner, and they said they have no control over TCM's VOD. 

This is really inexcusable, and I blame TCM, not Time-Warner. I think I will stop watching TCM since they refuse to deliver their product to me.

• Like 1

TCM has once again been deleted from the Comcast On Demand list of networks, which is what occurred on April 2.  Although the network and its films were added back on April 6, all of the films listed that day eventually expired and were not replaced.  Of the 3 remaining films yesterday, all were to expire today, and now that they did expire, the entire network is no longer listed as available through On Demand.

What is going on?  TCM--please look into this.  Comcast is claiming the problem is from your side.

This is what has been happening at Time Warner Cable since the week before Easter. It is really inexcusable. I guess they are too busy selling wine and cruise tickets to care if their customers can receive their primary product, movies.

• Like 1

TCM On Demand for April 12, 2016

3. Young Dr. Kildare (1938) -- Lionel Barrymore, Lew Ayres, Lynne Carver, Nat Pendleton, Jo Ann Sayers, Samuel S. Hinds, Emma Dunn, Walter Kingsford, Truman Bradley, Monty Woolley, Pierre Watkin, Nella Walker. First of nine Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film installments featuring Ayres as the title character, a promising medical practitioner at a New York City hospital. Barrymore co-stars as Dr. Gillespie, the veteran physician who serves as Kildare's mentor.

barrymorel03.jpg

Barrymore as Dr. Gillespie with Ayres as Dr. Kildare

Joel McCrea was the first screen Kildare in a 1937 drama from Paramount Pictures titled "Internes Can't Take Money." The film was based on the Kildare stories by author Max Brand (the pseudonym of Frederick Schiller Faust), who also created the Western character Destry. 

The other Barrymore-Ayres collaborations were: 

• "Calling Dr. Kildare" (1939).
  • "The Secret of Dr. Kildare" (1939).
  • "Dr. Kildare's Strange Case" (1940).
  • "Dr. Kildare Goes Home" (1940).
  • "Dr. Kildare's Crisis" (1940).
  • "The People vs. Dr. Kildare" (1941).
  • "Dr. Kildare's Wedding Day" (1941).
  • Dr. Kildare's Victory" (1942).

After Ayres left the series, Barrymore continued to play Dr. Gillespie in six more films:

• "Calling Dr. Gillespie" (1942).
  • "Dr. Gillespie's New Assistant" (1942).
  • "Dr. Gillespie's Criminal Case" (1944).
  • "Three Men in White" (1944).
  • "Between Two Women" (1945).
  • "Dark Delusion" (1947).
Turner Classic Movies aired this film on Monday, April 11, 2016 as a part of its TCM Spotlight salute to the screen performances of Barrymore and his distinguished siblings, John and Ethel. 

Expires April 19, 2016.

2. Treasure Island (1934) -- Wallace Beery, Jackie Cooper, Lionel Barrymore, Otto Kruger, Lewis Stone, Nigel Bruce, Charles "Chic" Sale, William V. Mong, Charles McNaughton, Dorothy Peterson, Douglass Dumbrille, Edmund Breese, Olin Howland, Charles Irwin, Edward Pawley, Richard Powell, James Burke, John Anderson, Charles Bennett. Uncredited: Bruce Bennett. This early Hollywood sound version of Robert Louis Stevenson's classic novel about 18th-century pirates reunited Beery and Cooper, the co-stars of "The Champ" (1931). Beery stars as the duplicitous Long John Silver, while Cooper appears as young Jim Hawkins. The movie was directed by Victor Fleming, best known for his contributions to two 1939 films -- "Gone with the Wind" and "The Wizard of Oz."

Movie crossover reference: A 1950 Disney Technicolor remake of Stevenson's tale starred British actor Robert Newton as Silver -- perhaps moviedom's quintessential portrayal of a pirate. 

Here comes the Judge! Here comes the Judge!: Barrymore, who appears as Billy Bones, and Stone, who co-stars as Captain Smollett, went on to play the same character in a popular film series of the late 1930s and early 1940s. Barrymore was Judge James K. Hardy in "A Family Affair," the 1937 film that spawned the Andy Hardy series featuring Mickey Rooney. Stone took over the role of Andy's father in the 1937 sequel "You're Only Young Once." He went on to play Judge Hardy 14 other times. 

talking-about-the-aqueduct.jpg

Barrymore as Judge Hardy in "A Family Affair" (1937)

02-lewis-stone.jpg

Stone as Judge Hardy in "You're Only Young Once" (1937)

Turner Classic Movies aired this film on Monday, April 11, 2016 as a part of its TCM Spotlight salute to the screen performances of Barrymore and his distinguished siblings, John and Ethel. 

Expires April 19, 2016.

1. One Man's Journey (1933) -- Lionel Barrymore, May Robson, Dorothy Jordan, Joel McCrea, Frances Dee, David Landau, Buster Phelps, June Filmer, James Bush, Oscar Apfel, Samuel S. Hinds (billed as Sam Hinds), Hale Hamilton. Based on the 1932 magazine short "The Failure" by Katharine Haviland-Taylor, this Pre-Code drama stars Barrymore as a struggling doctor who manages to have a major impact on his small hometown. 

OneMansJourney1933_85703_678x380_1025201

Barrymore and McCrea play father-and-son physicians who take different roads

The film was remade five years later as "A Man to Remember," which starred Anne Shirley, Edward Ellis and Lee Bowman. The second version was directed by Garson Kanin from an adapted screenplay by Dalton Trumbo. 

Expires April 19, 2016.