jakeem

TCM On Demand (Comcast)

1,657 posts in this topic

This is what has been happening at Time Warner Cable since the week before Easter. It is really inexcusable. I guess they are too busy selling wine and cruise tickets to care if their customers can receive their primary product, movies.

Re: TCM Not Appearing On Demand Free Movies Section

My response to Comcast and now TCM... While I appreciate your updates and list of movies on TCM and explainations of what is going on with Encore/Starz and  TCM lists of on Demand movies,  it's just not enough. What I see concerning Comcast On Demand movies is a "down grade" in my opinion and I for one am done with Comcast. For years I have had att internet and phone but chose to stay with Comcast and pay extra because I enjoyed so much the On Demand choices and generous list of movies especially the old classics on TCM. Now, the list is minimal and lacking to say the least on both Encore and TCM. Encore used to have a large list of movies to chose from but  now very limited in the new Starz format which is terrible and TCM, well all I can say is very poor. I am a senior citizen and enjoy movies without commercials especially the classics as entertainment. While our bills go up the choices go down and it is very poor. Sorry comcast, while I hate to do it, I must call Att Uverse and change. I will save around 60. a month bundling and recieve more. I am done. Very unhappy customer. I am really disappointed in TCM and how they are ignoring their fans.

• Like 1

TCM On Demand for April 13, 2016

The following feature is now available on TCM On Demand for a limited time:

2. The Thrill of Brazil (1946) -- Evelyn Keyes, Keenan Wynn, Ann Miller, Allyn Joslyn, Tito Guízar, Veloz and Yolanda, Felix Bressart, Sid Tomack, Enric Madriguera and his Orchestra. Directed by S. Sylvan Simon ("Song of the Open Road," "The Fuller Brush Man"), this musical/comedy stars Wynn as Steve Farraugh, a producer of stage shows. When he takes a new revue for a test run in Rio de Janeiro, he discovers that his star -- singer-dancer Linda Lorens (Miller) -- is in love with him. But Farraugh is still stuck on his soon-to-be ex -- stage director Vicki Dean (Keyes) -- and tries to win her back. But there's a complication: Vicki's prospective second husband (Joslyn), who arrives in Rio with her.

The film was derived from "The Front Page" -- the 1928 stage play about a newspaper -- written by Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur. The play led to several other screen adaptations, including "His Girl Friday" (1940), which starred Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell and Ralph Bellamy.

Memorable quote: "He isn't a man, he's my ex-husband." -- Vicki Dean.

Expires April 20, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 13, 2016

1. Juke Girl (1942) -- Ann Sheridan, Ronald Reagan, Richard Whorf, George Tobias, Gene Lockhart, Alan Hale, Sr., Betty Brewer, Howard Da Silva, Donald MacBride, Willard Robertson, Faye Emerson, Willie Best, Fuzzy Knight, Spencer Charters, William B. Davidson. Uncredited: William Hopper, Glenn Strange. Sheridan and Reagan, the co-stars of the acclaimed Warner Bros. drama "Kings Row," reunited for this film set in the fictional Southern town of Cat Tail, Florida. Reagan plays Steve Talbot, a labor organizer who falls for the title character, a juke joint entertainer played by Sheridan.  

The drama was directed by Curtis Bernhardt ("A Stolen Life," "Miss Sadie Thompson").

annie-ron-juke-girl-4-18-101.jpg

Reagan and Sheridan

Whorf, probably remembered best remembered as Sam Harris -- the business partner of George M. Cohan (James Cagney) -- in "Yankee Doodle Dandy," later traded acting for directing. He was behind the camera for numerous episodes of the 1960s CBS sitcom "The Beverly Hillbillies."

Expires April 20, 2016.

I have read Robert Osborne is out due to health issues. I pray he and his family are well and he will return soon. TCM would not be the same w/o him.

Second let me say...TCM is back on Comcast but the selection is limited and terrible and the worst is Comcast is now putting commercials before the movies, mostly their commercials but also one had a toothpaste commercial. What the heck is going on at TCM and Comcast??? Has it been bought out by someone else??? whoever is picking the On Demand movies is doing a lousy job..they are awful and not many choices. Is everyone gone on vacation there?? really Bad, Bad, Bad..I am ready to cancel my cable all together. I hope this has nothing to do with Robert's absence...but somebody is out..either at TCM or Comast..don't know who is at fault. Very disappointed TCM fan. Glad I have a couple hundred DVD classics of my own to watch.

• Like 1

All TCM on demand titles on Comcast are only in SD none in HD.  So must zoom with TV remote to fill screen which is thus poor resolution. Many other on demand channels have both HD and SD.  MGM uses only HD ----- superb picture.

Stephen L

I notice that Comcast viewers got to see One Man's Journey on demand, but it was not available to Time Warner Cable customers. And furthermore, most of the time, only ONE or TWO movies are available at a time. If there are a half-dozen available on a given day, they disappear one-by-one and are not replaced, until there are none left; sometimes for days there will be nothing. it's happening again, in fact. We were blitzed with all that Weimar cinema, and then suddenly they all disappeared, and nothing replaced them. What is going on? Something new should be added each time something is taken away. TCM On Demand used to be a wonderful way for a busy person to watch classic film, but now I guess I'm going to give up on TCM and utilize other resources. Good luck with your wine, cruises, DVDs, and overpriced movie "event" tickets.

TCM On Demand for April 16, 2016

The following features are now available on TCM On Demand for a limited time:

1. Girl Crazy (1943) -- Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, Gil Stratton, Robert E. Strickland, Rags Ragland, June Allyson, Nancy Walker, Guy Kibbee, Frances Rafferty, Henry O'Neill, Howard Freeman, Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra, Six Hits and a Miss, The Music Maids. Uncredited: Peter Lawrford, Dick Haymes (as a member of The Pied Pipers), Jo Stafford, Irving Bacon, Co-directed by Norman Taurog ("Skippy") and Busby Berkeley, this musical was the eighth and final teaming of Rooney and Garland in a motion picture.  

The film, which features classic songs by George and Ira Gershwin, stars Rooney as a young playboy whose wealthy father decides to ship him out West for a good education without distractions.

Expires April 23, 2016.

2. Presenting Lily Mars (1943) -- Judy Garland, Van Heflin, Fay Bainter, Richard Carlson, Spring Byington, Marta Eggerth, Connie Gilchrist, Leonid Kinskey, Patricia Barker, Janet Chapman, Annabelle Logan, Douglas Croft, Ray McDonald. Uncredited: Marilyn Maxwell, Joe Yule, Sr., Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra, Bob Crosby and His Orchestra. Directed by Norman Taurog, this musical -- based on a novel by Booth Tarkington -- is about a small-town girl with huge talent (Garland) who works hard to persuade a producer (Heflin) that she's the right choice for his Broadway show.

Cast notes: Maxwell, who would later introduce the holiday song "Silver Bells" with Bob Hope in "The Lemon Drop Kid" (1951), appears as a leggy showgirl named Prissy. Yule, who plays Mike the Broadway stage doorman, was the father of Joe Yule, Jr., better known as Garland's frequent co-star Mickey Rooney. Logan, a young actress from Scotland who appears as Rosie Mars, later changed her name to Annie Ross and became one-third of the 1950s and 1960s jazz trio Lambert, Hendricks and Ross. She continued to act and even played a key villain in "Superman III" (1983).

Expires April 23, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 17, 2016

The following features are now available on TCM On Demand for a limited time:

1. Burnt Offerings (1976) -- Karen Black, Oliver Reed, Bette Davis, Burgess Meredith, Eileen Heckart, Lee Harcourt Montgomery, Dub Taylor,Joseph Riley, Todd Turquand, Orin Cannon, Jim Myers, Anthony James. Dan Curtis, who created and produced the gothic daytime series "Dark Shadows" and its two movie incarnations, was the man behind this horror tale about a haunted old country mansion. Based on the 1973 novel by Robert Marasco, the film was produced, directed and co-written (with William F. Nolan) by Curtis.

The film's music was scored Curtis's longtime composer Robert Cobert, whose credits include the "Dark Shadows" projects and the 1980s television miniseries "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance."

Expires April 24, 2016.

2. The House by the Cemetery (1981) -- Catriona MacColl (Lucy Boyle), Paolo Malco (Dr. Norman Boyle), Ania Pieroni (Ann the babysitter), Giovanni Frezza (Bob Boyle), Silvia Vollatina (Mae Freudstein), Dagmar Lassander (Laura Gittleson), Giovanni De Nava (Dr. Freudstein), Daniela Doria (First Female Victim), Gianpaolo Saccarola (Daniel Douglas), Carlo De Mejo (Mr. Wheatley), John Olson (Harold), Elmer Johnsson (Cemetery caretaker), Ranieri Ferrara (Victim) Teresa Rossi Passante (Mary Freudstein). Italian filmmaker Lucio Fulci (1927–1996) directed this horror tale that stars MacColl (billed as Katherine MacColl) as a woman who moves with her husband Paolo and son Bob into a Boston-area mansion with a blemished past.

The film's first murder victim is played by Italian actress Doria, who died in several of Fulci's films, including "The Gates of Hell" (1980) and "The New York Ripper" (1982). "Ah, Doria, she was one of my favorite actresses," the director once said. "I killed her so many times." 

Turner Classic Movies aired this movie as part of its TCM Underground series in the early morning hours of Sunday, April 17, 2016.

Expires April 24, 2016.

TCM On Demand for December 18, 2016

3. Run Silent, Run Deep (1958) --  Clark Gable, Burt Lancaster, Jack Warden, Brad Dexter, Don Rickles, Nick Cravat, Joe Maross, Mary LaRoche, Eddie Foy III, Rudy Bond. Uncredited: Joel Fluellen, Ken Lynch, Russell Thorson, H.M. Wynant, Teru Shimada, Robert Wise ("Destination Gobi," "The Sand Pebbles") directed this World War II thriller about a U.S. Navy submarine and the conflict between its commander (Gable) and his executive officer (Lancaster).

The film provided the screen debuts for Warden and Rickles. Warden became a reliable character actor and a two-time Academy Award nominee (Best Supporting Actor for the 1970s Warren Beatty films "Shampoo" and "Heaven Can Wait"). Rickles -- nicknamed "Mr. Warmth" by Johnny Carson -- evolved into an iconoclastic stand-up comedian known for his vicious (but affectionate) barbs.

Rickles died on April 6, 2017 at the age of 90.

Expires April 25, 2016.

2. Pépé le Moko (1937) -- Jean Gabin (Pépé le Moko), Gabriel Gabrio (Carlos), Saturnin Fabre (Le Grand Père), Fernand Charpin (Régis), Lucas Gridoux (Slimane), Gilbert Gil (Pierrot), Marcel Dalio (L'Arbi), Charles Granval (Maxime), Gaston Modot (Jimmy), René Bergeron (Meunier), Paul Escoffier (Louvain), Roger Legris (Max), Jean Témerson (Gravère), Robert Ozanne (Gendron), Philippe Richard (Janvier), Georges Péclet (Barsact), Mireille Balin (Gaby), Line Noro (Inès), Fréhel (Tania), Olga Lord (Aicha), Renée Carl (La mère Tarte). This French film by Julien Duvivier ("Deadlier Than the Male," the Vivien Leigh version of "Anna Karenina") was the first screen version of Henri La Barthe's 1931 novel about a master criminal who is untouchable in the mysterious Casbah district of Algiers. 

The film was remade in America a year later as "Algiers," which starred Charles Boyer and Hedy Lamarr. Directed by John Cromwell, the U.S. version earned four Academy Award nominations, including a Best Actor nod for Boyer. 

A second American remake -- titled "Casbah" -- was released in 1948. It was a musical version of the story starring Yvonne De Carlo, Tony Martin and Peter Lorre.

Movie crossover reference: Boyer's portrayal of Le Moko inspired the Warner Bros. cartoon character Pepé le Pew, the romantic French skunk that made life difficult for a cat named Penelope. Le Pew's first appearance was in the 1945 animated short "Odor-able Kitty," directed by Chuck Jones. The 1949 short "For Scent-imental Reasons," also directed by Jones, won the Academy Award for Best Short Subject, Cartoons.

pepe+wooing+penelope.png

Le Pew woos Penelope

Expires April 25, 2016.

1. La Traversée de Paris (1957) -- Jean Gabin (Grandgil), Bourvil (Marcel Martin), Louis de Funès (Jambier the grocer), Jeannette Batti (Mariette Martin), Georgette Anys (Lucienne Couronne), Robert Arnoux (Marchandot), Laurence Badie (restaurant waitress), Myno Burney (Angèle Marchandot), Germaine Delbat (restaurant client), Monette Dinay (Madame Jambier), Jean Dunot (Alfred Couronne), Bernard La Jarrige (police officer), Jacques Marin (restaurant customer), Hubert de Lapparent (nervous hostage), Hans Verner (the biker). Set during the Nazi occupation of France during World War II, this French comedy/drama is about an artist (Gabin) and a taxi driver (Bourvil) who risk their lives for a special mission. They must transport four suitcases filled with black-market pork across Paris.

Directed by Claude Autant-Lara ("Le rouge et le noir"), the film's title translates as "The Trip Across Paris." But it was given other titles upon its release to other countries. In the United States, it was called "Four Bags Full." The British came up with "A Pig across Paris."

Bourvil, who was a very popular French comedian, perhaps is best remembered for his appearance in "The Longest Day," Darryl F. Zanuck's all-star film about the D-Day invasion on June 6, 1944. Bourvil played the mayor of Colleville, who celebrates the arrival of the Allied armada, despite the fact that his home is being shelled by the approaching warships. 

Expires April 25, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 19, 2016

Pinky (1949) -- Jeanne Crain, Ethel Barrymore, Ethel Waters, William Lundigan, Basil Ruysdael, Kenny Washington, Nina Mae McKinney, Griff Barnett, Frederick O'Neal, Evelyn Varden, Raymond Greenleaf. Uncredited: Juanita Moore, Paul Brinegar, Arthur Hunnicutt, Pat Walshe. Elia Kazan's drama about a light-skinned black woman who passes for white earned three Academy Award nominations: Best Actress (Crain) and Best Supporting Actress (Barrymore and Waters).

The fly in the ointment: Crain, a white actress of English and Irish ancestry was cast to play the "tragic mulatto" figure. That certainly wouldn't happen today.

Barrymore's Oscar nomination was her fourth in six years. She won the 1944 Best Supporting Actress award for her performance as Cary Grant's mother in "None But the Lonely Heart." She also received nominations for her work in "The Spiral Staircase" (1946) and Alfred Hitchcock's "The Paradine Case" (1947).

Ten years after Hattie McDaniel's Academy Award win for "Gone With the Wind," Waters became only the second black person to be nominated for an acting Oscar. She and McDaniel were the first two of 20 black women (or women of black ancestry) to earn Best Supporting Actress nods. The others (winners in bold):

• Moore, "Imitation of Life" (1959).
  • Beah Richards, "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" (1967).
  • Alfre Woodard, "Cross Creek" (1983).
  • Margaret Avery, "The Color Purple" (1985).
  • Oprah Winfrey, "The Color Purple" (1985).
  • Whoopi Goldberg, "Ghost" (1990).
  • Marianne Jean-Baptiste, "Secrets & Lies" (1996).
  • Sophie Okonedo, "Hotel Rwanda" (2004).
  • Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls" (2006).
  • Ruby Dee, "American Gangster" (2007).
  • Viola Davis, "Doubt" (2008).
  • Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (2008).
  • Mo'Nique, "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" (2009).
  • Hailee Steinfeld, "True Grit" (2010).
  • Octavia Spencer, "The Help" (2011).
  • Lupita Nyong'o, "12 Years a Slave" (2013).
  • Davis, "Fences" (2016).
  • Spencer, "Hidden Figures" (2016).
  • Naomie Harris, "Moonlight" (2016).

Expires April 26, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 20, 2016

3. Z (1969) -- Yves Montand (Z), Irene Papas (Hélène), Jean-Louis Trintignant (The judge of inquiry), Jacques Perrin (The photojournalist), Charles Denner (Manuel), François Périer (The prosecutor), Pierre Dux (The general), Georges Géret (Nick), Bernard Fresson (Matt), Marcel Bozzuffi (Vago), Julien Guiomar (The colonel), Magali Noël (Nick's sister), Renato Salvatori (Yago), Clotilde Joano (Shoula), Maurice Baquet (The heroic mason), Hassan Hassani (The general's chauffeur), Gérard Darrieu (Barone), Jean-Pierre Miquel (Pierre), Van Doude (The hospital director), Jean Dasté (Ilya Coste), Jean-François Gobbi (Jimmy the boxer), Guy Mairesse (Dumas), Andrée Tainsy (Nick's mother), Eva Simonet (Niki). Director Costa-Gavras' riveting Algerian-French thriller about political turmoil in Greece won the Academy Award as the Best Foreign-Language Film of 1969. It also became one of the few foreign-language films to be nominated for Best Picture. 

Before this film, the first foreign-language Best Picture nominee was "Grand Illusion" (1938) by France's Jean Renoir. Since 1970, there have been seven others:

• "The Emigrants" from Sweden (1972).
  • "Cries and Whispers" from Sweden (1973).
  • "The Postman" ("Il Postino") from Italy (1995).
  • "Life Is Beautiful" from Italy (1998).
  • "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" from Taiwan, China, Hong Kong and the United States (2000).
  • "Letters from Iwo Jima" from the United States (2006).
  • "Amour" from Austria, France and Germany (2012).

This was one of four films suggested by TCM's April 2016 guest programmer, the feminist author and activist Gloria Steinem.

Expires April 27, 2016.

Continued from the previous section:

Delaney's play and the film were influential in the creation of two popular songs from the 1960s. 

"A Taste of Honey": Written for the Broadway play by American songwriters Bobby Scott and Ric Marlowe, the tune was performed by the Beatles, Barbra Streisand and other artists before it became an instrumental hit for Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass in 1965. It earned the group three Grammy Awards, including Record of the Year.

"Your Mother Should Know": Paul McCartney liked a line from the movie and used it as the title of a song he wrote for the Beatles' 1967 "Magical Mystery Tour" television special. In the film, the line is delivered by Melvin's character after Jo tells him she is pregnant.

This was one of four films suggested by TCM's April 2016 guest programmer, the feminist author and activist Gloria Steinem.

Expires April 27, 2016.

2. A Taste of Honey (1961) -- Dora Bryan, Sir Robert Stephens, Rita Tushingham, Murray Melvin, Paul Danquah, Michael Bilton, Eunice Black, David Boliver, Margo Cunningham, A. Goodman, John Harrison, Veronica Howard, Moira Kaye, Graham Roberts, Valerie Scarden, Herbert Smith, Rosalie Scase, Jack Yarker. Tony Richardson ("Tom Jones," "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner") directed this drama based on the acclaimed 1958 play by Britain's Shelagh Delaney. The film, adapted from the play by Delaney and Richardson, stars Tushingham as a teen schoolgirl named Jo who is rejected by her difficult mother (Bryan) after she becomes pregnant by a black sailor (Danquah). Jo's saving grace is a gay textile design student (played by Melvin) who takes care of her.

Delaney was 19 when she wrote the play. It first was produced in London's West End and made its way to Broadway in 1960, starring Dame Joan Plowright as Jo, Dame Angela Lansbury as her mother and Billy Dee Williams as the sailor. Plowright, who married Sir Laurence Olivier the following year, won the 1961 Tony Award Best Lead Actress in a Play for her performance.

Delaney went on to write the screenplay for the 1967 British comedy/drama "Charlie Bubbles," which starred Billie Whitelaw, Albert Finney and Liza Minnelli. She also did the screenplay for "Dance with a Stranger," the 1985 drama starring Miranda Richardson as Ruth Ellis -- the last woman to be executed in the United Kingdom.

Delaney died of cancer on November 20, 2011 at the age of 72.

Continued in the next section:

1. Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) -- Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard, Patricia Neal, Mickey Rooney, Buddy Ebsen, Martin Balsam, José Luis de Vilallonga (billed as Villalonga), John McGiver, Alan Reed, Dorothy Whitney, Beverly Powers (as Miss Beverly Hills), Stanley Adams, Claude Stroud, Elvia Allman, Orangey (as Cat). Uncredited:  Henry Beckman, Mel Blanc (voice of Holly's drunk visitor), Frank Marth, Joan Staley. Hepburn received her fourth of five Best Actress nominations for her most iconic role -- Holly Golightly, the New York City free spirit with a complicated past. This romantic comedy -- based on the 1958 novella by Truman Capote -- was directed by Blake Edwards ("Days of Wine and Roses," the "Pink Panther" series).

The film won Academy Awards for Best Score of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture (Henry Mancini) and Best Original Song for "Moon River" (Mancini and Johnny Mercer)

It also received nominations for Best Adapted Screenplay (George Axelrod) and Best Art Direction (Hal Pereira, Roland Anderson, Sam Comer and Ray Moyer). 

In a 2004 American Film Institute survey of the Top 100 movie songs of all time, "Moon River" one came in at No. 4, behind "Over the Rainbow" from "The Wizard of Oz," "As Time Goes By" from "Casablanca" and the title song from "Singin' in the Rain." The No. 5 song was Irving Berlin's "White Christmas," introduced by Bing Crosby in the 1942 movie musical "Holiday Inn."

"Moon River" became the signature song of Andy Williams.

In case you were wondering, Tiffany & Co. is an upscale jewelry store that doesn't serve breakfast. But this movie's most memorable scene takes place during the opening credits as Holly eats a pastry from a paper bag outside Tiffany's flagship store at  Fifth Avenue and 57th Street in Manhattan.

In 1995, the one-hit wonder group Deep Blue Something had a Top 5 song with "Breakfast at Tiffany's," which makes references to the movie. The video for the song featured scenes shot outside Tiffany & Co.

The fly in the ointment: Rooney's portrayal of Holly's constantly annoyed neighbor, the Japanese photographer I. Y. Yunioshi, is now considered a classic example of "yellowface" -- using a white actor wearing makeup to appear Asian.

"In the decades since the film was released," said a 2014 Wall Street Journal piece, "Rooney’s portrayal of Yunioshi -- taped eyelids, buck teeth, sibilant accent and all -- has become one of the persistent icons of ethnic stereotype, brought up whenever conversation turns to the topic of Hollywood racism. The depiction has prompted widespread protests whenever the film is screened; Paramount, the studio behind 'Breakfast' has now acknowledged Yunioshi as such a toxic caricature that its canonical 'Centennial Collection' DVD release of the film includes a companion documentary, 'Mr. Yunioshi: An Asian Perspective,' which features Asian American performers and advocates in conversation about the role’s lasting cultural impact and the broader context of Asian and other racial stereotypes in entertainment."

Rooney, who died in April 2014, was nonplussed about the controversy when interviewed in 2008.

"It breaks my heart," he told a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. "Blake Edwards, who directed the picture, wanted me to do it because he was a comedy director. They hired me to do this overboard, and we had fun doing it."

Rooney said he had never before heard complaints about his performance in the film. "Never in all the more than 40 years after we made it — not one complaint," he said. "Every place I've gone in the world people say, ' ... you were so funny.' Asians and Chinese come up to me and say, 'Mickey you were out of this world.' "

breakfast-at-tiffanys-mickey-rooney-raci

Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi

Expires April 27, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 23, 2016

2. The Pirate (1948) -- Judy Garland, Gene Kelly, Walter Slezak, Dame Gladys Cooper, Reginald Owen, George Zucco, Fayard and Harold Nicholas (as the Nicholas Brothers), Lester Allen, Lola Deem, Ellen Ross, Mary Jo Ellis, Jean Dean, Marion Murray, Ben Lessy, Jerry Bergen, Val Setz, The Gaudsmith Brothers, Cully Richards. Uncredited: Lola Albright, Marie Windsor, George Chandler, Irene Vernon, O.Z. Whitehead. Vincente Minnelli ("An American in Paris," "Gigi") directed his then-wife Garland in this Technicolor musical set in the West Indies during the 1830s.

Garland stars as Manuela, a resident of the Caribbean island of Colvado. Her aunt (Cooper) arranges for her to marry the town's mayor, Don Pedro Vargas (Slezak). But Manuela dreams of being swept off her feet by the legendary pirate Macoco. Meanwhile, Serafin, the leader of a traveling band of entertainers, arrives in town and poses as the pirate. As a result, he gains Manuela's attention. Only Serafin realizes is that Don Pedro is the real Macoco, hiding from authorities because of his many misdeeds.

The film -- based on the 1942 stage play "The Pirate" by S. N. Behrman -- features several songs written by Cole Porter, including "Be a Clown" and "Mack the Black."

The picture received an Academy Award nomination for Best Music, Scoring of a Musical Picture (Lennie Hayton). 

Memorable scene: Kelly as Serafin is accompanied by the dazzling Nicholas Brothers dance team during a performance of "Be a Clown."

Kelly made his screen debut opposite Garland in the 1942 musical "For Me and My Gal." They also co-starred in the 1950 musical "Summer Stock."

Expires April 30, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 23, 2016

1. In the Good Old Summertime (1949) -- Judy Garland, Van Johnson, S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall, Spring Byington, Clinton Sundberg, Buster Keaton, Marcia Van Dyke, Lillian Bronson. Uncredited: Joi Lansing, Liza Minnelli. Technicolor musical in which Garland and Johnson play music store co-workers who don't get along. Neither realizes that the other is a much-appreciated and desired pen pal. The film is a remake of Ernst Lubitsch's 1940 romantic comedy "The Shop Around the Corner," which starred Margaret Sullavan and James Stewart. The late Nora Ephron used the same source material to film her 1998 hit "You've Got Mail," which was the third film to pair Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

Directed by Robert Z. Leonard ("The Great Ziegfeld," "The Divorcee"), the Garland-Johnson version takes place in Chicago around the turn of the century. At the end of the movie, look for Garland's 3-year-old daughter Liza Minnelli in her first screen appearance. 

Expires April 30, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 24, 2016

2. Possession (1981) -- Isabelle Adjani (Anna/Helen), Sam Neill (Mark), Margit Carstensen (Margit Gluckmeister), Heinz Bennent (Heinrich), Johanna Hofer (Heinrich's mother), Carl Duering (Detective), Shaun Lawton (Zimmermann), Michael Hogben (Bob), Maximilian Rüthlein (Man with pink socks), Thomas Frey (Pink Socks' acolyte), Leslie Malton (Sara, woman with a club foot), Gerd Neubert (Subway drunk). France's Adjani, a two-time Academy Award nominee, won Best Actress honors at the 1981 Cannes Film Festival for her work in this drama and another project. Directed by the Polish filmmaker Andrzej Żuławski, the French-German horror tale is set in West Berlin. It focuses on Adjani's character Anna, who ends her marriage for uncertain reasons. Neill co-stars as her mystified husband, who isn't prepared to let her go. Adjani also plays the role of the woman who teaches Anna and Mark's young son.

In addition to this film, Adjani was cited at Cannes for her performance in the Ivory-Merchant drama "Quartet," set in Paris in the 1920s. Her dual role in "Possession" also earned her 1981 Best Actress honors at the César Awards -- the French equivalent of the Academy Awards. She has won four other Césars during her career.

Memorable scene: In a mesmerizing sequence that lasts about four minutes, Anna begins laughing uncontrollably at a subway station. She then begins to have a violent seizure, after which she winds up bleeding profusely. It's quite a performance by Adjani, although one wonders how many takes were required for the effort.

cols_goodeye.jpg
Adjani as the troubled Anna.

Adjani became an international star when she was barely out of her teens. On February 17, 1976, at 20 years and 235 days old, she became the youngest person ever to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Actress. She was recognized for her performance in François Truffaut's 1975 historical drama "The Story of Adele H." Adjani held the record until 2004, and she has since been supplanted by Quvenzhané Wallis, Keisha Castle-Hughes and Jennifer Lawrence.

In 1989, Adjani became the second French actress -- after Leslie Caron -- to earn two Oscar nominations for Best Actress. That time, she was honored for her performance in the 1988 biopic "Camille Claudel." 

Turner Classic Movies aired this movie as part of its TCM Underground series in the early morning hours of Sunday, April 24, 2016.

Expires May 1, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 24, 2016

1. For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943) -- Gary Cooper, Ingrid Bergman, Akim Tamiroff, Katina Paxinou, Arturo de Córdova, Vladimir Sokoloff, Milhail Rasumny, Fortunio Bonanova, Eric Feldary, Victor Varconi, Joseph Calleia, Lilo Yarson, Alexander Granach, Adia Kuznetzoff, Leonid Snegoff, Leo Bulgakov, Duncan Renaldo. Uncredited: Yvonne De Carlo, Yakima Canutt, George Coulouris. Produced and directed by Sam Wood ("Goodbye Mr. Chips," "The Pride of the Yankees"), this Technicolor screen version of Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel about the Spanish Civil War earned nine Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture. 

Cooper stars as Robert Jordan -- an American Spanish teacher turned demolitions expert -- who joins the anti-fascist effort during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). He and a band of Spanish guerilla fighters take on a dangerous mission to destroy a strategic bridge at dawn. 

The drama also received Oscar nominations in all four acting categories: Best Actor (Cooper), Best Actress (Bergman), Best Supporting Actor (Tamiroff) and Best Supporting Actress (Paxinou).

An actress with roots in the Greek theater, Paxinou won the Oscar for her debut film. Bergman was nominated as Best Actress for her performance as Maria in the movie, and not for her work as Ilsa Lund Lazlo in "Casablanca." It was the first of her seven Academy Award nominations (she won three times).

Tamiroff, who plays the duplicitous guerrilla leader Pablo, was a Russian-born actor of Armenian ancestry, He previously received a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his performance in another film headlined by Cooper -- "The General Died at Dawn" (1936).

The film's other Oscar nominations were for Best Color Cinematography (Ray Rennahan), Best Color Art Direction-Interior Decoration (Hans Dreier, Haldane Douglas and Bertram Granger), Best Film Editing (Sherman Todd, John F. Link, Sr.) and Best Score of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture (Victor Young). 

for-whom-the-bell-tolls-1943-2.png

Bergman and Cooper

The title of Hemingway's novel was derived from British poet John Donne's Meditation XVII, which ends:

Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; 
It tolls for thee. 

Memorable quote: "I don't know how to kiss, or I would kiss you. Where do the noses go?" -- Maria to Jordan, as they begin to fall in love.

1101430802_400.jpg

This was one of 15 films with Oscar nominations in all four acting categories. The others (with winning actors in bold):
  • "My Man Godfrey" (1936) -- William Powell, Carole Lombard, Mischa Auer, Alice Brady.
  • "Mrs. Miniver" (1942) -- Walter Pidgeon, Greer Garson, Henry Travers, Teresa Wright.
  • "Johnny Belinda" (1948) -- Lew Ayres, Jane Wyman, Charles Bickford, Agnes Moorehead. 
  • "Sunset Boulevard" (1950) -- William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Erich von Stroheim, Nancy Olson.
  • "A Streetcar Named Desire" (1951) -- Marlon Brando, Vivien Leigh, Karl Malden, Kim Hunter.
  • "From Here to Eternity" (1953) -- Montgomery Clift/Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr, Frank Sinatra, Donna Reed.
  • "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" (1966) -- Richard Burton, Elizabeth Taylor, George Segal, Sandy Dennis.
  • "Bonnie and Clyde" (1967) -- Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Gene Hackman/Michael J. Pollard, Estelle Parsons.
  • "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" (1967) -- Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn, Cecil Kellaway, Beah Richards.
  • "Network" (1976) -- Peter Finch/William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Ned Beatty, Beatrice Straight.
  • "Coming Home" (1978) -- Jon Voight, Jane Fonda, Bruce Dern, Penelope Milford.
  • "Reds" (1981) -- Warren Beatty, Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Maureen Stapleton.
  • "Silver Linings Playbook" (2012) -- Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert De Niro, Jacki Weaver.
  • "American Hustle" (2013) -- Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence.

Expires May 1, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 25, 2016

3. Woman in the Dunes (1964) -- Eiji Okada (Niki Jumpei, the entomologist), Kyôko Kishida (Woman), Kôji Mitsui (Sen Yano). Other cast members: Ginzô Sekiguchi, Kiyohiko Ichihara, Hideo Kanze, Hiroyuki Nishimoto. This sensual drama by Japanese director Hiroshi Teshigahara (1927-2001) was based on the 1962 novel by Kôbô Abe. The film won the Special Jury Grand Prize at the 1964 Cannes Film Festival. It also was nominated for the 1964 Academy Award as Best Foreign-Language Film. A year later, Teshigahara's work on the film made him the first Asian filmmaker to be nominated for a Best Director Oscar.

Based on a screenplay by Abe, the film stars Okada as a Tokyo schoolteacher who enjoys collecting and studying insects during his free time. While indulging in his hobby on the beach of a remote Japanese village, he misses the last bus back home. As a result, he winds up spending the night at the home of a woman (Kishida) who lives at the bottom of a sandpit.

flix-womaninthedunes00.jpg

Okada and Kishida

Expires May 2, 2016.

2. Steel Magnolias (1989) -- Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis, Julia Roberts, Tom Skerritt, Sam Shepard, Dylan McDermott, Kevin J. O'Connor, Bill McCutcheon, Ann Wedgeworth, Knowl Johnson, Jonathan Ward, Bibi Besch, Janine Turner, James Wicek, Ronald Young, Nancy Parsons, Robert Ginnaven, Tom Hodges, Rick Hurst. Only months before Roberts became a screen superstar in "Pretty Woman" (1990), she earned an Academy Award nomination for her performance as an ailing bride in this film version of Robert Harling's play. It was the first of her four nominations. She won the 2000 Best Actress award for her portrayal of a real-life crusader in "Erin Brockovich."

Expires May 2, 2016.

1. Antonio Gaudí (1986) -- Japan's Hiroshi Teshigahara, the first Asian filmmaker nominated for a Best Director Oscar (a 1965 nod for "Women in the Dunes"),  spearheaded this documentary about the remarkable art and designs of the versatile Gaudí (1852-1926), the Barcelona, Spain-based architect and sculptor. Teshigahara uses minimal dialogue in showcasing Gaudí's stunning masterpieces, including the Casa Batlló in central Barcelona.

Expires May 2, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 26, 2016

Grand Hotel (1932) -- Greta Garbo, John Barrymore, Joan Crawford, Wallace Beery, Lionel Barrymore, Lewis Stone, Jean Hersholt, Robert McWade, Purnell Pratt, Ferdinand Gottschalk, Rafaela Ottiano, Morgan Wallace, Tully Marshall, Frank Conroy, Murray Kinnell, Edwin Maxwell. Uncredited: Mary Carlisle, Allen Jenkins, Sam McDaniel. Directed by Edmund Goulding ("Dark Victory," "The Razor's Edge"), this all-star drama has the distinction of being the only film to win the Academy Award for Best Picture for its only nomination. Set at a posh hotel in Berlin, the tale is headlined by three past and future Oscar winners (Lionel Barrymore, Beery and Crawford), an honorary recipient (Garbo) and the man for whom a special statuette is named (Hersholt). Four of the cast members -- the Barrymores, Beery and Hersholt -- appeared in the 1933 comedy "Dinner at Eight."

The drama features a line that was long associated with the reclusive Garbo on and off the screen. It was ranked No. 30 in the American Film Institute's 2005 survey of the top 100 movie quotes of all time.

This film was remade in 1945 as the comedy/drama "Week-End at the Waldorf," set at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. It starred Ginger Rogers, Walter Pidgeon, Van Johnson and Lana Turner. 

Expires May 3, 2016.

TCM On Demand for April 27, 2016

2. Sex Kittens Go to College (1960) -- Mamie Van Doren, Tuesday Weld, Mijanou Bardot, Mickey Shaughnessy, Louis Nye, Pamela Mason, Martin Milner, Conway Twitty (as himself), Jackie Coogan, John Carradine, Vampira, Allan Drake, Norman "Woo Woo" Grabowski, Irwin Berke, Charles Chaplin, Jr., Jody Fair, Arline Hunter, Harold Lloyd, Jr., Buni Bacon, Babe London. Uncredited: Barbara Pepper, Jose Gonzales-Gonzales. The bounteous Van Doren headlines this comedy as Dr. Mathilda West, an academic marvel who is selected by a robotic computer to head the science department of Collins College. Dr. West has 13 academic degrees and speaks 18 languages, including English. She also is an impressive physical specimen -- her measurements are 40-20-22 -- with a background as an ecdysiast under the name Tassels Monclair.

Weld co-stars as Jody, a campus co-ed in romantic pursuit of the college's football star (Grabowski). Meanwhile, a French femme fatale named Suzanne (played by Bardot, Brigitte's younger sister) covertly works on a book titled "How American Men Make Love."

6b791b8b23809bf27e01033d140c9dcd.jpg

Weld, Bardot and Van Doren

Memorable dialogue:

Dr. West: A woman can't help being a woman.

Jody: Well, you don't have to be so darned much of a woman. You make every woman in the world feel positively flat chested. You're a menace, that's what you are!

Expires May 4, 2016.