lzcutter

Useful information for the new boards

46 posts in this topic

:)

EVERYbody here wants that one

It would be great to have that option on every film in TCM's library, wouldn't it?

I think the fluid nature of the films that TCM has under license to broadcast at any given time may be the stumbling block on that.  The rental contract for one film or group of films may not be the same for films rented from the same studio or other studios or distributors.

I think the fluid nature of the film's that TCM has under license to broadcast at any given time may be the stumbling block on that.  The rental contract for one film or group of films may not be the same for films rented from the same studio or other studios or distributors.

Thank you, Lynn.

I was thinking of a broader usage that would be attached to any title showing up in a TCMDb search. Something not dependent upon availability, so that even if a title doesn't become licensed and available until five years from today, we would still be able to leave a Reminder today.

I cannot delete your own post/thread but you can edit things inside it.   If you need something deleted that you wrote, please report it or send us a PM and we will take care of it. :)

I cannot delete your own post/thread but you can edit things inside it.   If you need something deleted that you wrote, please report it or send us a PM and we will take care of it. :)

Tnks.

I cannot figure out how to get a you tube video link to appear inside my post.

What exactly do need to do to have the You Tube image appear, instead of just a link???

When I simply copied the You Tube link and pasted it into the post, just the link appears.

There are two links. One is in the Address Bar - you don't want that one The address bar URL now works

Right-click the YouTube video image and you should get another pop-up menu from which you may select Get video URL.. or something similar. Left-clicking that will open a little window with the second link - copy that one.

Open a Reply Post here. In the upper left of the posting screen, left-click the green thing to the left of the word Font. Left-click on Please Select and then select Media. Paste your link into the large bottom screen labeled Media URL - that should do it.

Note: I believe there is a 2 or 3 video limit per post, but you can make as many posts as you want.

That's odd. The way that Film Fan said he tried it is the only I was able to get it to work. I guess I'm operating on a different rule set.

It can be finicky. I've had both ways work and not work for me - sometimes with back-to-back posts.

My directions are based on Windows 8.1 - Google Chrome which seem to work similarly for most other set-ups. Windows 8.1 with Internet Explorer 11 should produce the same results.

It can be finicky. I've had both ways work and not work for me - sometimes with back-to-back posts.

My directions are based on Windows 8.1 - Google Chrome which seem to work similarly for most other set-ups. Windows 8.1 with Internet Explorer 11 should produce the same results.

I have Windows 8.1 with IE 11.

What I did to get the YT video to post was to flip the light switch in the upper left of the message post to use standard BB Code. The result was that the copied url address from the address bar was there, but without any html markup. The buggy thing, at least for me, was the html markup. So, using the standard BB code option ( if that's what to call it) was the easy answer for me.

But, using your solution, also works. The Green thing next to the font, the "Special BB Code" button, with the Media option, works nicely. It automatically installs the Media tags to the url.

Thanks for your help Kid_Dabb !

NOTE: As of this time these features may not work with Internet Explorer 11 (not sure of earlier versions). I have left a message concerning this in the Problems with the Message Boards Forum. I have been using Google Chrome which seems to have no such problems. All of the Quote features work well there.

9) Quote and MultiQuote

These can be used to include a Quote in your post or reply.

Quote will let you quote all or part of someone's post (you can edit out or add to the quote as you would your own post).

Click Quote, type your own message below the quote box as you would in any post, click Post to send.
-----------------------------------------------------

MultiQuote does the same thing except.. 

When you've read many posts in the same thread and would like to respond to more than one in your single reply, go to the first post you would like to respond to and..

Click MultiQuote. You should see a little box open at the bottom right of your screen which reads: Reply To # Quoted Post(s) - Clear

Scroll to the next post you would like to add to your reply and click MultiQuote again.. You should notice that little box's # increase by 1

Repeat until you have included all the previous posts you wish to include in your reply. Now, when you're ready to add your remarks, go back to that little box and click on the shaded Reply To #'s Quoted Post(s). This will open the message screen and it should be filled with quotes from all those you selected. All you have to do now is slip your remarks into the little spaces between each quoted poster. These spaces will expand to accommodate your text.

When you are finished, click Post as you would normally.

If you use this feature a lot, you may notice the MultiQuote may become your default quote button as it allows for quoting a single poster just as well.

This is a multiquote test woo-hooo

Lavender,

Right under menu for time zones is check box that says: "Automatically detect Daylight Savings Time". 

Be sure that box is checked.

The time stamp may not correct until the next time you sign in.

Hi Lav, just testing mulit-quote. Our Board Guru of Fame, the inimitable Kid Daab has gotten through to Laffite. By Jove, he's got it!

Lynn,

I'm in the EST Zone and I did change that in the settings section, but it's an hour behind I'm writing this post @ 10:01 and when it's posted it will read 9:03. I'm noticing that others in EST also have the same problem. How do we fix this? Thanks

Sorry for the duplicate post

What happens if one of the quotes is quite a ways back there. Can you go to the previous page of quotes? Don't answer that if it is complicated, let me just use this for now. Thanks Kid.

laffite

EDIT: OK, trying to figure out this post got up here. I was testing mulit-quoting via instructions from Kid Daab, I don't get how it posted up  here. Help! I initiated this post down in Stuff About The New Boards thread in chit chat.

Might anyone know why I'm unable to set a profile pic? I've tried IE and Chrome. I've followed the instructions. The image is less than 50k, but it just won't appear for cropping.

Any tips? Apologies if I've overlooked the right place for the question. I DID try searching first.

Thanks!

Here's one what's been driving me crazy. Some people here have been able to find a way to make their activity private, as it should be. How do I make this happen? (More specifically, it's the thing that tells others what you're currently looking at and when you were last online.)

Hi, Kay.

I'm not sure about this; you may try signing in anonymously - see if that works. You'll probably have to ask someone to check you out as I don't believe you can block your own viewing of that info.

Llz2mjM.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, Kid! It seems to have worked, not even I can spy on myself now. ;)

• Like 1

Hello,

New here and trying to figure out how to use this forum.

Figgered out how to upload my avatar ... YaY

Now looking for the newbie intro welcome wagon or something similar

and trying to figure out how to post a new thread since I haven't found the welcome wagon yet :)

Anyway I love classic movies and TCM and looking forward to reading about and discussing classic movies 

Cheers,

Tallhair

Hello,

New here and trying to figure out how to use this forum.

Figgered out how to upload my avatar ... YaY

Now looking for the newbie intro welcome wagon or something similar

and trying to figure out how to post a new thread since I haven't found the welcome wagon yet :)

Anyway I love classic movies and TCM and looking forward to reading about and discussing classic movies 

Cheers,

Tallhair

Here you're more likely to encounter a welcome stagecoach, or buckboard.  In lieu of that, allow me to welcome you to the Boards.  To post a new thread, you go to the forum that interests you, say, General Discussions.  You will see the list of threads displayed.  They can be listed according to different criteria, such as by start date, or most viewed, or most recently responded to.  These options are at the top of the thread list.  Above that, and to the right, is a button:  Start New Topic.  Click on that, and post away.

• Like 1

OK, I have a question: Why will some YouTube videos post here successfully, and others won't?  I just figured out how to post a video two days ago (I'm Not computer adept, LOL).  I have posted three videos successfully, two from the same user/channel, no problems.  But there is a video that has been up over a year, in Great viewing condition, from my favorite overlooked Sinatra musical Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949), of the song "It's Fate, Baby, It's Fate. It's from a channel I've posted from before successfully.   I've tried to post the video three times, and all I get is a empty, gray screen.  Any idea why??  Thanks for answers.

It might have something embedded that restricts linking.  Is there more than one video with the same song?  A different one might work.

• Like 2