darkblue

Expand the Underground

50 posts in this topic

Underground Programming is the first thing I look at whenever a new schedule is published.

I'd love to see Underground expanded to two nights per week - Fridays and Saturdays with at least two movies selected for each night.

• Like 1

There's no reason why all three of those titles shouldn't play at any time on TCM. None  of them are examples of what I would consider Underground worthy. They're more mainstream productions and quite famous as such.

Guest luckykelly

TCM Underground is my favorite show in the world. I look forward to it every week, and I am always amazed and delighted at the crazy, deranged movies they find. I love those weird shorts they show at the end too. All of it is so great; it seems like it's made just for me.

Adding mainstream films such as, Married to the Mob, etc. would defeat the purpose of the Underground, since they don't fit the definition and they can be shown on TCM at any time. Adding mainstream films to TCM Underground would destroy the show.

An expansion of the Underground to Friday and Saturday does sound good though. That would be awesome!

My only complaint is that the TCM Underground web page isn't being updated enough and it's just sitting there neglected. I always like reading about the films after I've watched them, but the web page has not been updated for 3 weeks.  

Adding mainstream films such as, Married to the Mob, etc. would defeat the purpose of the Underground, since they don't fit the definition and they can be shown on TCM at any time. Adding mainstream films to TCM Underground would destroy the show.

I agree, although only somewhat.

I just returned from the Salt City Horror Festival where movies like this are screened all day in 35mm. Movies like THE LOST BOYS, POPCORN, FRIGHT NIGHT, TREMORS, etc. The audience whoops it up when the "bad guy" is finally killed off, it's like watching Underground with 300 people. Definitely the way to see these first!

These films are truly worth seeing, if only for context, although many are pretty decently made & acted. (esp when compared to CGI movies of today)

I never originally saw all those 80's schlock horror films that have since become cult favorites. To me, they are exactly the same as schlocky 50's horror (& sci-fi) in that they may not be great movies- they miss the mark somewhat- but they are fun entertainment. And reflect their times ie: 80's= teens sex, gory effects, music while 50's = atomic fears, aliens fears, mutation fears.

I think the "usual" TCM viewer might be turned off by these films in prime time, not unlike silents, an acquired taste. Didn't they show some roller skating movie in Underground? 

I am a huge fan of TCM Underground.  I would love to see them expand it to add another night.   I am often amazed at the true eclectic nuggets they dig up.    Recently I really enjoyed "The Candy Snatchers" and "Skidoo" ( just... wow ) .  Also, where else would you see "Chained for Life" with the The Hilton sisters.  Sure it was not a good movie but still you can not look away.    

As to "Valley of the Dolls" being on Underground I think a better fit would be "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls".  That movie is truly out there. 

It is a  great idea to expand TCM Underground to two nights.Time can put a" Halo" on a lot of these Underground movies. These guilty pleasures can truly entertain, titilate, sometimes make you gasp  and make you wonder did they ever see an audience before TCM airings.

I'm often disappointed in TCM's management of this program, simply because they show the same films on it over and over again. It seems like The Baby has been coming up a lot recently. I often find myself skipping Underground simply because I've already seen what's on, and fairly recently, at that. I find it hard to believe that they can't get the rights to more films like this. I'm sure there's no shortage of them. It just doesn't seem like there's anyone at TCM who cares about keeping this show fresh.

Unlike the "regular" TCM viewer, I also wouldn't mind if films like these showed up in prime time more often. It seems like the 2:00 AM time slot for Underground and Imports is an insult to anyone who has an interest in seeing these movies. I'm glad I live 3 hours earlier, the programming is much better this way.

I'm often disappointed in TCM's management of this program, simply because they show the same films on it over and over again.

True that. When you add up all the "underground" movies TCM runs in a year, it's really very few. There are at least 1000 movies out there that could be chosen for the underground and at this rate it'll take a million years to get to them all.

I'm often disappointed in TCM's management of this program, simply because they show the same films on it over and over again. It seems like The Baby has been coming up a lot recently. I often find myself skipping Underground simply because I've already seen what's on, and fairly recently, at that. I find it hard to believe that they can't get the rights to more films like this. I'm sure there's no shortage of them. It just doesn't seem like there's anyone at TCM who cares about keeping this show fresh.

Unlike the "regular" TCM viewer, I also wouldn't mind if films like these showed up in prime time more often. It seems like the 2:00 AM time slot for Underground and Imports is an insult to anyone who has an interest in seeing these movies. I'm glad I live 3 hours earlier, the programming is much better this way.

I assume the cost to obtain 'underground' films can't be too much.   e.g. I don't think there is a bidding war going on for these films like there is with movies like It's A Wonderful Life.      So yea, TCM doesn't need to repeat the films in this series.    Give us something new!

airing late 6-28

2:00 AM
77 min

So Evil So Young (1961)  PREMIERE
the tale of an innocent secretary (Jill Ireland) framed for robbery and assault by her boyfriend's jealous ex (Jocelyn Britton) and sentenced to three years in a reformatory.

DirGodfrey Grayson CastJill Ireland , John Charlesworth , Colin Tapley .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/90646/So-Evil-So-Young/articles.html

(doesn't sound too promising. Been pretty disappointed in 'Underground' showings for some time now)

:(:(

"So  Evil, So Young" entertained in a strange and curious way. It really could not be compared to "Caged" for there were no real name stars.Jill Ireland was lovely and her boyfriend played by John Charlesworth committed suicide by gas at age 24 before the film was released.Sometimes the lives of the casts in these pictures are far more interesting than the movies themselves.The band in the film reminded me of the Beatles.

Here's a few movies that could perhaps qualify for 'Underground' viewing: 

Baby Love (1969-UK)

Witchmaker, The (1969)

Night of the Witches (1970)

Mark of the Witch (1970)

Blood on Satan's Claw (1970-UK)

Enter the Devil (1972)

Evil Come, Evil Go (1972)

Arnold's Wrecking Co. (1973)

Boy Who Cried Werewolf, The (1973)

Poor White Trash 2 (1974)

Carhops, The (1975)

Track of the Moon Beast (1976) 

Convention Girls (1978)

Starhops (1978)

• Like 1

Here's a picture of the British video release of 'EVIL COME, EVIL GO' on the long-gone Mercury Video label.  I thought the artwork was eye-catching!  post-42209-0-60312700-1404155414_thumb.jpg

post-42209-0-60312700-1404155414_thumb.jpg

Some suggestions for TCM Underground: ( sorry if any of these have been shown previously )

Joyride 1977 

The Shout 1978

The Groundstar Conspiracy 1972  

The Reincarnation of Peter Proud  1975

The Vault of Horror 1973

Massacre at Central High 1976

Wavelength 1983

Something for Everyone 1970

Don't be Afraid of the Dark ( tv movie from 1973 ) 

• Like 1

MASSACRE AT CENTRAL HIGH is an excellent choice for TCM Underground. The original ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 is on July 5.  I wrote a brief review for the TCMDB and it is quite good, considering the low budget and all.  Early John Carpenter (before HALLOWEEN) and I highly recommend it to fans of John Carpenter and action movies in general.  If you haven't seen it, fellow posters, check it out.  I think you'll like it.

Edited by ChristineHoard
  • Like 2

Oh yes, 'Assault on Precinct 13' (1976) is a true cult artifact of the mid 70's - I first discovered it on VHS around 1980.

It's an LA street gang horror movie that's a mix of 'Night of the Living Dead' and 'Rio Bravo' - complete with a b!tchin' Howard Hawks-type heroine (played by the obscure Laurie Zimmer). Recommended.

• Like 1

I'm often disappointed in TCM's management of this program, simply because they show the same films on it over and over again. It seems like The Baby has been coming up a lot recently. 

Be sure to tune in next week (7/12) at 2am for....

THE BABY (1973)

You are so right! That "Baby" has been popping up a lot. There is a trove of "underground" films out there. Films that have never seen the light of day for most fans. TCM should act as an Underground prospector and dig up some of these undiscovered nuggets.

• Like 1

You are so right! That "Baby" has been popping up a lot. There is a trove of "underground" films out there. Films that have never seen the light of day for most fans. TCM should act as an Underground prospector and dig up some of these undiscovered nuggets.

any suggestions?

Here's a few more 'Underground' suggestions; car chases, moonshiners, sleazeballs and some fast-moving devil-worshippers*!

Road Hustlers, The (1968)

Devil's 8, The (1969)

Bloody Mama (1970)

I Walk the Line (1970)

Moonshine War, The (1970)

Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

Daredevil, The (1972)

Irish Whiskey Rebellion (1972)

Superchick (1973)

Act of Vengeance (1974) (aka:  "Rape Squad")

Bootleggers (1974)

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)

Moonrunners (1974)

Policewomen (1974)

Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw (1975)

Four Deuces, The (1975)

Race With the Devil (1975)*

Six-Pack Annie (1975)

Swinging Barmaids, The (1975)

Dixie Dynamite (1976)

Great Texas Dynamite Chase, The (1976)

Gumball Rally, The (1976)

Moving Violation (1976)

Nashville Girl (1976)

Small Town In Texas, A (1976)

Bad Georgia Road (1977)

Black Oak Conspiracy (1977)

Double Nickels (1977)

Joyride (1977)

Moonshine County Express (1977)

Thunder and Lightning (1977)

Driver, The (1978)

Hotwire (1980)

---------------------------------------------------------

Young Graduates, The (1971)

Pom-Pom Girls, The (1976)

Van, The (1976)

Supervan (1976?) 

Cheering Section (1977)

Disco Fever (1978)

Fyre (1978)

Malibu Beach (1978)

Summer School (1978) (aka:  "Mag Wheels")

Surfer Girls (1978)

Young Cycle Girls (1978) (aka:  "Cycle Vixens")

Malibu High (1979) *this is mind-frying!*

Van Nuys Blvd. (1979)

Beach Girls, The (1982)

• Like 1

Ahhh yes "The Pom Pom Girls" I haven't seen that one in years.   There are several Robert Carradine films from the 70's and early 80's that would be perfect for TCM Underground

Massacre at Central High 

Cannonball

The Pom Pom Girls

Joyride

Wavelength

It seems there are a lot of suggestions for Underground.  I did watch "The Baby" and once was more than enough.  I hope TCM reads over the lists and get some of these films.  Shoestring budgets don't mean a movie has to be lousy and some of the options presented by viewers might be fun to watch, or at least interesting, and these movies should be cheap to get.