MorrisSteele

George Brent's Derry Air

1,795 posts in this topic

As a newcomer, I'm intrigued by how how this came about.  I guess I'll have to take a closer look at Mr. Brent's "Derry Air" next time he's on screen!

That said, I sure hope his agent negotiated great back-end deals for him.

The credit for this belongs to a long-gone boards member who I have a feeling may have recently returned under another name. If so, you know who you are.

The credit for this belongs to a long-gone boards member who I have a feeling may have recently returned under another name. If so, you know who you are.

Thanks very much, finance.

By the way, I see there's a George Brent movie on later tonight, so I'll have a chance to observe the famous posterior!  

Thanks very much, finance.

By the way, I see there's a George Brent movie on later tonight, so I'll have a chance to observe the famous posterior!  

The first thread on the old board was called "George Brent's Rear End".  It began as one joke but it turned into a near-institution, with thousands of posts and almost 100,000 views.  It went on from, I think, 2012.  I imagine there were people here who didn't like it very much but I never took it all that seriously. 

I wish they would bring that old thread back here.  This new one is fine, but it hasn't gotten off the ground like the first had.  Well, George's end tended to sag too, so maybe it's symbolic of sorts. ;)

The first thread on the old board was called "George Brent's Rear End".  It began as one joke but it turned into a near-institution, with thousands of posts and almost 100,000 views.  It went on from, I think, 2012.  I imagine there were people here who didn't like it very much but I never took it all that seriously. 

I wish they would bring that old thread back here.  This new one is fine, but it hasn't gotten off the ground like the first had.  Well, George's end tended to sag too, so maybe it's symbolic of sorts. ;)

Eug,

I asked the mods if they could transfer the old George thread (one of the longest and most popular ever on the boards) over here in chit chat, they didnt even have the courtesy of answering my question! I feel they used the changeover as an excuse to get rid of it as there were probably complaints despite all the views and participation in it.......

So, I guess we'll have to make do with this one. (which has already been moved) Until they decide otherwise...

Eug,

I asked the mods if they could transfer the old George thread (one of the longest and most popular ever on the boards) over here in chit chat, they didnt even have the courtesy of answering my question! I feel they used the changeover as an excuse to get rid of it as there were probably complaints despite all the views and participation in it.......

So, I guess we'll have to make do with this one. (which has already been moved) Until they decide otherwise...

We're lucky it's still allowed to go on at all.

You know the old saying--To a hammer everything looks

like a big rear end.

Georgie went to the Easter egg hunt,

Thought it would be a good p.r. stunt,

But his ginormous keister,

Wasn't a good fit for Easter,

So he went down the Nile in a punt.

EugeniaH,

Thanks very much for the back story, as it were.  I'm sorry the posts didn't survive the changes.  

It was especially fun watching Mr. Derry Air in "Baby Face" last night in light of all this, though that particular feature wasn't really highlighted! 

It was especially fun watching Mr. Derry Air in "Baby Face" last night in light of all this, though that particular feature wasn't really highlighted! 

Actually, a surprisingly good scene happens in "The Purchase Price" (another movie he made with Stanwyck).  In that there are long shots of his bending over with the camera focusing on his behind (an obvious attempt at humor, but what the heck, it was the early thirties...)

We were making the jokes about him before we discovered "The Purchase Price"...  I knew of the movie, but not because of George's contribution. ;)

On a more serious note, "Baby Face" is a terrific film, despite George's predictable wooden acting.  Stanwyck actually had a hand in the writing of the script, helping to come up with the suggestion of the father prostituting the daughter from when she was a young girl.

Actually, a surprisingly good scene happens in "The Purchase Price" (another movie he made with Stanwyck).  In that there are long shots of his bending over with the camera focusing on his behind (an obvious attempt at humor, but what the heck, it was the early thirties...)

We were making the jokes about him before we discovered "The Purchase Price"...  I knew of the movie, but not because of George's contribution. ;)

On a more serious note, "Baby Face" is a terrific film, despite George's predictable wooden acting.  Stanwyck actually had a hand in the writing of the script, helping to come up with the suggestion of the father prostituting the daughter from when she was a young girl.

Yes, in the Purchase Price the camera lingers quite awhile over George's backside as he's bent over washing the floor. It's the longest shot I've seen so far of George's heinie in films.....Barbara seems mesmerized over it too! (LOL)

"Baby Face" was terrific (Stanwyck's wardrobe alone is worth the watching!) and interesting to learn of her part in the writing.

I don't think I know "The Purchase Price," so must look for that.  Many thanks for all the info. 

Check me out tonight in My Reputation at 12:15 in the a.m.

Now the reputation in question isn't that of my huge heinie,

but of the lovely Barbara Stanwyck's actions re widowhood.

There's a skiing scene that shows my tushie off fairly well.

I got a bit of a break in this flick, as it was shot in 1944 but

not released until 1946, so two years of extra growth you know

where is not there. Thank goodness for small favors. See you

around the ski lodge fireplace.

There is no more "page 2" as such, but George is being marginalized in competition with topics having more buzz.

Sorry, George. I would've liked to have watched your bum again (you have a good rear end scene in it!) but it was on too late for me). Maybe next time. I do enjoy the film though. Wasnt enough room on the DVR to record it

There is no more "page 2" as such, but George is being marginalized in competition with topics having more buzz.

Just like Hollywood. One time you're up and the next you're out. That's life, that's life.

Sorry, George. I would've liked to have watched your bum again (you have a good rear end scene in it!) but it was on too late for me). Maybe next time. I do enjoy the film though. Wasnt enough room on the DVR to record it

I did watch it last night. I had only seen it once before and it turned out to

be better than I remembered. Maybe because I was focused on Georgie's

**** the first time, I missed the bigger story, especially the fact that it's also

about the homefront, a bit of a Since You Went Away vibe on a smaller scale.

And Barbara's tightly wound mom was a hoot, at least in a movie.

GEORGE BRENT ALERT!

An early 50s film called Man Bait is going to be shown on June 16th! I've wanted to see this film ever since I read about it a few years ago. George stars with Diana (Va Va Voom!) Dors. This might be TCM premiere. I'll remind you all as it gets closer to airing.

George was in a western titled Gold Is Where You Find It from 1938

that was on TCM yesterday morning. 1938--just before the big bang

explosion. George Brent and Diana Dors. Sounds like a battle of the

bottom vs. the top. I can just see Bob Mitchum with his two hands

lettered BOTTOM and TOP, Now old Mr. Bottom is a powerful

old soul...........

George was in a western titled Gold Is Where You Find It from 1938

that was on TCM yesterday morning. 1938--just before the big bang

explosion. George Brent and Diana Dors. Sounds like a battle of the

bottom vs. the top. I can just see Bob Mitchum with his two hands

lettered BOTTOM and TOP, Now old Mr. Bottom is a powerful

old soul...........

LMREO!!!!! Yes, George and Diana. I cant wait to see these two. All the "bases" will be covered! Since this was the early 50s am sure there will be more of George to see. But I'm sorry I missed the other film. I've never seen George in a western, I think!

LMREO!!!!! Yes, George and Diana. I cant wait to see these two. All the "bases" will be covered! Since this was the early 50s am sure there will be more of George to see. But I'm sorry I missed the other film. I've never seen George in a western, I think!

Speaking of George's butt, where has Morris Steele been? Has he resurfaced with yet another user name?

In the UK it was titled The Last Page, quite a difference from Man Bait. Our hero George

finds himself in quite a sticky wicket over in merry olde England. There isn't much to see

of Brenty's bum as he wears a suit jacket for just about the entire picture. Now don't tell

anyone, but it's on YT. :)

In the UK it was titled The Last Page, quite a difference from Man Bait. Our hero George

finds himself in quite a sticky wicket over in merry olde England. There isn't much to see

of Brenty's bum as he wears a suit jacket for just about the entire picture. Now don't tell

anyone, but it's on YT. :)

Wow. Here he is. It's been a while, hasn't it?

Just here for "old business," before the change over in April.

Diana Dors is sexy in this, but it's fairly restrained compared 

to some of her later all out sexpot roles.