mr6666

TCM Premieres

1,297 posts in this topic

10:15 pm ET C- 85 min documentary

I was really excited to see this but had to turn it off after about 15 minutes. The crazy camera work made me sick to my stomach.

WHY oh why do some people think it's "edgy" or adds excitement to filming to have the cameras focus on the subject then SWITCH and change viewpoint angles, then flash & switch again? They don't even wait for him to finish his sentence.

willy_nilly.gif

Kirk is interesting on his own. Crazy camera work only distracts from what he is saying.

• Like 2

My wife was reading while I was watching La Haine.    She speaks french and after a few scenes she looked up and said;  'this is a different French film for TCM.   Such nice use of the French language!'

My wife's second language is French, and she introduced me to La Haine several years ago. One of the top films of the 90's.

What I'd love to see would be an evening that featured, in chronological order, The 400 Blows, Pixote, La Haine, and The Kid With a Bike. Four extraordinary movies about childhood (early and late)  of a sort that for one reason or other don't ever get made in Hollywood more than once in a blue moon.  Menace 2 Society and Fresh are two of the very few that come to mind, and it's too bad TCM hasn't yet gotten around to showing them as well.  In my fantasy world they could displace the 10,000th showing of the Andy Hardy series.

Hey,  Andy,  can you do me a favor?    I went to 'my profile' and it says I'm no longer a member and people have said there my 'handle' is messed up.

Can you reply to this post???    i.e. if you can see it,   than please reply.   I can see post and make comments like I always could but I wonder if other users can see what I'm posting.

THANKS!

Hey,  Andy,  can you do me a favor?    I went to 'my profile' and it says I'm no longer a member and people have said there my 'handle' is messed up.

Can you reply to this post???    i.e. if you can see it,   than please reply.   I can see post and make comments like I always could but I wonder if other users can see what I'm posting.

I haven't been having any trouble reading your posts, though I was a bit surprised when you said you had a crush on Margaret Hamilton.

I haven't been having any trouble reading your posts, though I was a bit surprised when you said you had a crush on Margaret Hamilton.

Thanks.   I e-mailed the admin to find out what is up.    As for Margaret Hamilton;   I think you have her confused with Ava Garner.  ;)

What I'd love to see would be an evening that featured, in chronological order, The 400 Blows, Pixote, La Haine, and The Kid With a Bike. Four extraordinary movies about childhood (early and late)  of a sort that for one reason or other don't ever get made in Hollywood more than once in a blue moon.  Menace 2 Society and Fresh are two of the very few that come to mind, and it's too bad TCM hasn't yet gotten around to showing them as well. 

That would be a fantastic evening of movies. 

tonight for Mel Brooks:

9:45 pm ET
C- 87 min
comedy
Silent Movie (1976)

A film director struggles to produce a major silent feature film.

DirMel Brooks CastMel Brooks , Marty Feldman , Dom DeLuise .

11:30 pm ET
C- 94 min
comedy
High Anxiety (1977)

A man must come to terms with his own "high anxiety" in this loving parody of the films of Alfred Hitchcock.

DirMel Brooks CastMel Brooks , Madeline Kahn , Cloris Leachman .

Fri., 8-8 for SUTS Jeanne Moreau

12:00 pm ET
84 min
drama

A bank clerk becomes involved in a rollercoaster love affair with a compulsive gambler.

DirJacques Demy CastJeanne Moreau , Claude Mann , Paul Guers .

"Moreau in particular earning kudos for her difficult, multi-faceted role. Perhaps Combustible Celluloid phrased it best: "I've never seen her as lively and engaging as she is here - a part-time femme fatale shedding the ice-queen image she cultivated over the years."

2:00 am ET
91 min
drama
Lovers, The (1958)

A married woman bored with her life decides to escape.

DirLouis Malle CastJeanne Moreau , Alain Cuny , Jean-Marc Bory .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Louis Malle. Jeanne Moreau, Alain Cuny, Jose Luis de Villalonga, Jean-Marc Bory, Gaston Modot.

"Chic, once-controversial tale of wealthy, married, spiritually empty Moreau and her two very different extramarital involvements. Malle's first major international success, and one of Moreau's most important early credits."

• Like 1

12:00 pm ET
84 min
drama

A bank clerk becomes involved in a rollercoaster love affair with a compulsive gambler.

DirJacques Demy CastJeanne Moreau , Claude Mann , Paul Guers .

"Moreau in particular earning kudos for her difficult, multi-faceted role. Perhaps Combustible Celluloid phrased it best: "I've never seen her as lively and engaging as she is here - a part-time femme fatale shedding the ice-queen image she cultivated over the years."

That's the understatement of the year.  I've never seen The Lovers, which is supposed to be one of Moreau's breakthrough movies, but other than that, Elevator to the Gallows and Bay of Angels are my highlights of the day. 

I believe TCM showed Tout Va Bien well before last week, since I've included it on possible schedules as a moview already seen.

Tonight for SUTS Cary Grant:

8:00 pm ET
73 min
drama
Hot Saturday (1932)

A virtuous small-town clerk becomes the victim of a scandalous rumor from an unsuccessful suitor.

DirWilliam Seiter CastCary Grant , Nancy Carroll , Randolph Scott .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: William A. Seiter. Cary Grant, Nancy Carroll, Randolph Scott, Edward Woods, Lilian Bond, William Collier, Sr., Jane Darwell, Grady Sutton.

"Small-town good girl Carroll goes wild after she's accused of spending the night with playboy Grant, which causes her to lose both her job and her boyfriend (Scott). Star trio creates plenty of sparks in this spicy pre-Code drama, with authentic small-town atmosphere and a nifty song, "I'm Burning for You.''

I believe TCM showed Tout Va Bien well before last week, since I've included it on possible schedules as a moview already seen.

Yes, its been shown before........

Yes, its been shown before........

we can never swear to the accuracy of info printed in the NPG ;)

we can never swear to the accuracy of info printed in the NPG ;)

Well, I didnt actually watch it, but I remember it being on the schedule and advertised. It may have been on the last Jane Fonda day. I remember it was on early in the morning then too......

Fri., 8-15, for SUTS Faye Dunaway;

9:30 AM et
C- 97 min
drama

An independent woman from the North creates a scandal when she decides to marry a Southern general-store owner.

DirJoan Tewkesbury CastFaye Dunaway , Richard Widmark , Neil Patrick Harris .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2322/Cold-Sassy-Tree/articles.html

(Maybe this should be a 'signature' to all these posts: we can never swear to the accuracy of info printed in the NPG ;) )

Fri., 8-15, for SUTS Faye Dunaway;

9:30 AM et
C- 97 min
drama

An independent woman from the North creates a scandal when she decides to marry a Southern general-store owner.

Dir: Joan Tewkesbury Cast:  Faye Dunaway , Richard Widmark , Neil Patrick Harris .

(Maybe this should be a 'signature' to all these posts: we can never swear to the accuracy of info printed in the NPG ;) )

COLD SASSY TREE is a made-for-cable film that never had a theatrical release in the U.S. Actually, I am surprised TCM is airing it-- but I think it was originally made for TNT, and these two stations are both owned by TBS.

I don't really consider this a classic film, though others might. And I am sure that if Richard Widmark gets a day next year, it will be repeated.

Sat., 8-16, for SUTS Herbert Marshall:

6:15 pm ET
91 min
crime

A corrupt newspaperman, blacklisted from his big-city paper, becomes involved with a murder case for a small town paper.

DirCyril Endfield CastDan Duryea , Herbert Marshall , Gale Storm .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Cy Endfield. Gale Storm, Dan Duryea, Herbert Marshall, Mary Anderson, Michael O'Shea. "Surprisingly effective gangster yarn of reporter joining small town newspaper and uncovering corruption; cast is uniformly good."

Sun., 8-17 for SUTS John Hodiak

10:15 am ET
82 min
war
Battle Zone (1952)

A rivalry develops between two Marine combat photographers over the attentions of a Red Cross nurse during their stint in the Korean War.

DirLesley Selander CastJohn Hodiak , Linda Christian , Stephen McNally .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Lesley Selander. John Hodiak, Linda Christian, Stephen McNally, Philip Ahn.

Hodiak vies with McNally for Christian, with brief time out to fight Commies in static Korean War film.

10:00 pm ET
104 min
drama

A major and his men attempt to restore order to the war-torn Italian town of Adano.

DirHenry King CastGene Tierney , John Hodiak , William Bendix .
LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Henry King. Gene Tierney, John Hodiak, William Bendix, Glenn Langan, Richard Conte, Stanley Prager, Henry (Harry) Morgan, Hugo Haas, Fortunio Bonanova, Henry Armetta, Luis Alberni, Eduardo Ciannelli, Grady Sutton.

John Hersey's moving narrative of American WW2 occupation of small Italian village; Hodiak is sincere commander, Bendix his aide, blonde Tierney the local girl he is attracted to. Scripted by Lamar Trotti (who also coproduced) and Norman Reilly Raine.

250px-John_Hodiak_in_A_Lady_Without_Pass

Mon., 8-18 for SUTS Claudette Colbert:

10:00 pm ET
94 min
comedy
Skylark (1941)

A neglected housewife falls in love with a handsome attorney.

DirMark Sandrich CastClaudette Colbert , Ray Milland , Brian Aherne .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Mark Sandrich. Claudette Colbert, Ray Milland, Brian Aherne, Binnie Barnes, Walter Abel, Ernest Cossart, Grant Mitchell.

"Sophisticated romance with Aherne trying to take Claudette away from business-minded husband Milland. Stars are at their peak in this smooth adaptation of Samson Raphaelson play."

2:00 am ET
86 min
drama

An elderly schoolteacher, waiting to meet a presidential nominee, recalls the time when he was her student.

DirHenry King CastClaudette Colbert , John Payne , John Shepperd .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Henry King. Claudette Colbert, John Payne, John Shepperd (Shepperd Strudwick), Ann Todd, Douglas Croft, Jane Seymour, Anne Revere.

"Pleasant, tug-at-your-heartstrings Americana, told in flashback, about the effect teacher Colbert has on a student (Croft, who grows up to be presidential nominee Shepperd). Payne is the fellow teacher with whom Colbert falls in love."

claudette_colbert.jpg

COLD SASSY TREE is a made-for-cable film that never had a theatrical release in the U.S. Actually, I am surprised TCM is airing it-- but I think it was originally made for TNT, and these two stations are both owned by TBS.

I don't really consider this a classic film, though others might. And I am sure that if Richard Widmark gets a day next year, it will be repeated.

Didn't really care much for Faye Dunaway films. Although, I did like getting to know the John Hodiak films. Thanks TCM

Thanks @TCM for showing Claudette Colbert films for the #SUTS. Did anyone see Remember The Day with Claudette Colbert tonight on TCM?

This is a worth seeing Claudette Colbert movie in her greatest performance ever. What a great story as well as a tear jerker. Finally made it's premiere on TCM. #SUTS #ColbertTCM

Thanks @TCM for showing Claudette Colbert films for the #SUTS. Did anyone see Remember The Day with Claudette Colbert tonight on TCM?

This is a worth seeing Claudette Colbert movie in her greatest performance ever. What a great story as well as a tear jerker. Finally made it's premiere on TCM. #SUTS #ColbertTCM

I only saw the first half since it got late.     What impressed me most was the acting by the children in the movie especially Strudwick as Dewey.     Payne looked a little out of place but maybe that is because I like the harder Payne screen persona in his film noir movies.

Also, love your username  picture from Dark Passage.    I can hear 'Too Marvelous for Words' playing right now!

I only saw the first half since it got late.     What impressed me most was the acting by the children in the movie especially Strudwick as Dewey.     Payne looked a little out of place but maybe that is because I like the harder Payne screen persona in his film noir movies.

Also, love your username  picture from Dark Passage.    I can hear 'Too Marvelous for Words' playing right now!

James, then I take it you're not a fan of John Payne in all the musicals he starred in with Alice Faye,.Betty Grable, or June Haver.

James, then I take it you're not a fan of John Payne in all the musicals he starred in with Alice Faye,.Betty Grable, or June Haver.

I'm only a fan of a limit number of musicals;  the gritty WB musicals and Astaire\Rogers ones from the 30s and the Gene Kelly and Judy Garland musicals.   I haven't seen enough of the musicals Payne was in to judge.       As for Payne and his light (softer) performances in films;  It isn't that I feel he doesn't do a good job in those roles but that he didn't make a big impression on me.  It wasn't until 2 years ago that I saw Payne in those hardboiled noir films (thanks to TCM!),  that he did make a big impression on me.