Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

TCM Premieres

1,233 posts in this topic

Wed., 8-30 for                                    SUTS:  George Sanders.....

(times ET)

8:00 AM
B/W - 91 m

suspense

Synopsis: A gold digger persuades her older lover to murder for her.
DirW. Lee Wilder CastGeorge Sanders , Corinne Calvet , Jean Kent .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

D: W Lee Wilder. George Sanders, Corinne Calvet, Jean Kent, Patricia Roc.

"Sanders enlivens OK chronicle of fortune hunter who decides that marrying and murdering a series of women is the key to financial success."

12:00 AM
B/W - 92 m

comedy

Synopsis: To better his lot, a British officer fakes his defection to the Russians so he can sue the press.
DirGuy Hamilton CastJames Mason , Vera Miles , George Sanders .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

D: Guy Hamilton. James Mason, George Sanders, Vera Miles, Oliver Johnston, William Kendall, Duncan Lamont.

"Ingenious comedy of officer who uses availability of military secrets to his advantage in off-beat plan."

& see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/93698/A-Touch-of-Larceny/articles.html

"Mason's performance, bland and wryly humorous, pursues its objectives with the tenacity of a homing torpedo; his portrayal indicates that we may see more of Mason sweet rather than sour, and without recourse to either bedroom or deadpan humor, the film restores to British screen comedy something that has been missing since Ealing days."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thurs., 8-31 for                               SUTS:  Elizabeth Taylor......

3:00 AM
C - 99 m

suspense
Night Watch (1973)

Synopsis: A woman recovering from mental problems witnesses a murder, but nobody believes her.
DirBrian G. Hutton CastElizabeth Taylor , Laurence Harvey , Billie Whitelaw .

"a lesser known title in Taylor's filmography, though one of its biggest fans was none other than Stephen King, who cited it as one of his top twenty scariest films of all time in his landmark 1981 book, Danse Macabre."

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/24453/Night-Watch/articles.html

TCM September Premieres:

Sep 11 - Kidnapped (1960)

Sep 11 - Blackbeard’s Ghost (1968)

Sounds like another vintage-live-action Disney night--

With Swiss Family Robinson (1960), and the not-too-bad Candleshoe (1977) bookending, and a Mickey Mouse short between the two premieres.

• Like 1

Thurs., 8-31 for                               SUTS:  Elizabeth Taylor......

3:00 AM
C - 99 m

suspense
Night Watch (1973)

Synopsis: A woman recovering from mental problems witnesses a murder, but nobody believes her.
DirBrian G. Hutton CastElizabeth Taylor , Laurence Harvey , Billie Whitelaw .

"a lesser known title in Taylor's filmography, though one of its biggest fans was none other than Stephen King, who cited it as one of his top twenty scariest films of all time in his landmark 1981 book, Danse Macabre."

see:  http://www.tcm.com/t...h/articles.html

• Like 1

Fri., 9-1 for                      END OF SUMMER BEACH PARTY......  

12:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 68 m

musical
Surf Party (1964)

Synopsis: A young girl visits her surfer brother in California.
DirMaury Dexter CastBobby Vinton , Patricia Morrow , Jackie DeShannon .

"Surf Party is [a] realistic, albeit melodramatic, look at the surfing craze and Malibu surfers in particular. It is also an obvious rip-off of Beach Party without the zaniness. There is some neat surfing footage featuring pros like Mickey Dora and Johnny Fain but the flat black-and-white photography doesn’t do it justice though it buoys the story. The female leads all do well but Bobby Vinton and Kenny Miller fail miserably trying to pass themselves off as surfers."

see  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_Party

Wed., 9-6 for                     TCM SPOTLIGHT: TCM SPOTLIGHT: MPTF (MOTION PICTURE &

TELEVISION FUND).........                                                                                        

10:00 PM (ET)
C - 23 m

documentary
Showfolk (2014)

Synopsis: Documentary following seven veterans of Hollywood's golden era who now reside at the Motion Picture Home.
DirNed McNeilage CastConnie Sawyer , Milton Goldstein , Monica Lewis .

article: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1348572|0/MPTF-Motion-Picture-Television-Fund-Wednesdays-in-Sept.html

• Like 2

Has Too Wise Wives aired before?  I can't find any info on a previous airing.

Thanks!

Yancey

-------

6     Wednesday

9:15 AM

Too Wise Wives (1921)
A bored wife plots to steal her best friend's husband.
Dir:  Lois Weber Cast:  Louis Calhern , Claire Windsor , Phillips Smalley .
BW- 79 mins,

Thanks!

Yancey

-------

6     Wednesday

Too Wise Wives (1921)

BW- 79 mins,

Yes, at least once before in Aug 2000, so it doesn't meet my strict definition, but definitely a rarity!

• Like 1

Thanks!

Yancey

-------

6     Wednesday

Too Wise Wives (1921)

BW- 79 mins,

Yancey,

The MCOH data says that Too Wise Wives was last shown on TCM in August of 2000.  Not a premiere but you're correct it's a rare one.

Psych!  - We entered that at almost the exact same time!

• Like 1

Yancey,

The MCOH data says that Too Wise Wives was last shown on TCM in August of 2000.  Not a premiere but you're correct it's a rare one.

Psych!  - We entered that at almost the exact same time!

LOL Hi cmovie

• Like 1

Yes, at least once before in Aug 2000, so it doesn't meet my strict definition, but definitely a rarity!

17 Years between showings is a loooong time!  Makes sense now why I didn't realize it. 

I didn't start recording movies in earnest until 2003. My computer folder of TCM schedules only goes back to Dec of 2006.

Thanks for letting me know!

Yancey

• Like 1

Thurs., 9-7 for                                       Director Werner Herzog.......

(times ET)

8:00 PM Fitzcarraldo ( 1982)

The story of Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald, an extremely determined man who intends to build an opera house in the middle of a jungle.

Dir Werner Herzog Cast Klaus Kinski , Claudia Cardinale , Jose Lewgoy .

C- 157 mins, Letterbox Format

10:45 PM Stroszek ( 1977)

In Berlin, an alcoholic, joins his elderly friend and a prostitute in a determined dream to leave Germany and seek a better life in Wisconsin.

Dir Werner Herzog Cast Bruno Stroszek , Eva Mattes , Clemens Scheitz .

C- 108 mins,

1:00 AM Aguirre, the Wrath of God ( 1972)

In the 16th century, Don Lope de Aguirre leads a Spanish expedition in search of El Dorado.

Dir Werner Herzog Cast Klaus Kinski , Helena Rojo , Ruy Guerra .

C- 94 mins,

2:45 AM Cobra Verde ( 1988)

The feared bandit Cobra Verde is hired by a plantation owner to supervise his slaves but soon exacts revenge.

Dir Werner Herzog Cast Klaus Kinski , King Ampaw , Jose Lewgoy .

C- 110 mins, Letterbox Format

• Like 1

late Fri., 9-8 for                        Cab Drivers.......

3:45 AM (ET)
C - 128 m

drama

Synopsis: An anthology of 5 different cab drivers in 5 American and European cities and their remarkable fares on the same eventful night.
DirJim Jarmusch CastGena Rowlands , Winona Ryder , Armin Mueller-Stahl .

"...a collection of five vignettes, taking place during the same night, concerning the temporary bond formed between taxi driver and passenger in five cities: Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Rome, and Helsinki. Jarmusch wrote the screenplay in about eight days, and the choice of certain cities was largely based on the actors with whom he wanted to work.The soundtrack of the same name is by Tom Waits."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_on_Earth

& https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/night_on_earth/

late Sun., 9-10 for                    Silent Sundays....

(times ET)

12:15 AM
C - 120 m

adventure

Synopsis: Classic tale of the dashing Frenchmen fighting to save their country from Cardinal Richelieu.
DirFred Niblo CastDouglas Fairbanks , Leon Barry , George Siegmann .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:     D: Fred Niblo. Douglas Fairbanks, Marguerite De La Motte, Adolphe Menjou, Barbara La Marr, Leon Barry, George Siegmann, Eugene Pallette, Nigel de Brulier, Boyd Irwin, Mary MacLaren, Sidney Franklin, Charles Stevens.

"Robust period adventure with Fairbanks a hearty D'Artagnan, Alexandre Dumas' swashbuckling hero who joins the King's Musketeers, becomes pals with Athos, Porthos, and Aramis, and battles evil in the court of Louis XIII. De Brulier almost steals the film as Cardinal Richelieu. Great fun!"

-----------------------------------------------------------

2:30 AM                                                 TCM Imports.......
B/W - 119 m

romance
Charulata (1965)

Synopsis: A lonely housewife finds friendship and love with her husband's cousin.
DirSatyajit Ray CastSailen Mukherjee , Madhabi Mukherjee , Soumitra Chatterjee .

" Rotten Tomatoes, a 96% 'fresh' rating. It also holds an 8.4/10 rating on imdb. It has been widely regarded as one of the finest films made in Indian cinema history, and has won wide critical acclaim overseas as well."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charulata

4:45 AM
B/W - 70 m

drama
Coward, The (1965)

Synopsis: A stranded screenwriter finds out that his long lost love is married to the man who offers him shelter.
DirSatyajit Ray CastSoumitra Chatterjee , Madhabi Mukherjee , Haradhan Banerjee .

"Ray said the conflict of conscience among city-bred people at the heart of the picture offers insight into "a certain type of cowardice and a certain selfishness, which seem to be concomitants of modern middle-class sophistication."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/558530/Coward-The/articles.html

• Like 1

Mon., 9-11 for                       TREASURES FROM THE DISNEY VAULT....

(times ET)

10:30 PM
C - 95 m

adventure
Kidnapped (1960)

Synopsis: In 1751 Scotland, two men escape to the Scottish Highlands dodging the redcoats.
DirRobert Stevenson CastPeter Finch , James MacArthur , Bernard Lee .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

D: Robert Stevenson. Peter Finch, James MacArthur, Bernard Lee, Niall MacGinnis, John Laurie, Finlay Currie, Peter O'Toole.

"Disney feature filmed in England is faithful to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic novel, but surprisingly dull. Good cast and vivid atmosphere are its major assets."

12:30 AM
C - 107 min

comedy

Synopsis: The ghost of the famous pirate must break the curse put on him by a witch.
DirRobert Stevenson CastPeter Ustinov , Dean Jones , Suzanne Pleshette .

Roger Ebert called it "a pleasant surprise...It is Disney's best since The Absent Minded Professor, and a splendid vehicle for the many talents of Peter Ustinov."

interesting info here:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/68963/Blackbeard-s-Ghost/articles.html

:)

• Like 1

also tonight......

C - 117 m

TV-14

Widescreen

drama

Synopsis: A lonely sailor falls in love with a single mother during an extended liberty.
DirMark Rydell CastJames Caan , Marsha Mason , Kirk Calloway .

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/70939/Cinderella-Liberty/articles.html

(kinda surprised here, as I KNOW I've seen this'un, but maybe it wasn't TCM)

:unsure: :unsure:

Does anyone know why My Fair Lady was shown tonight? Was wondering the connection to the Motion Picture Home. Would think everyone connected to the film would be dead by now. I guess not. I thought about recording it, then forgot. (just to watch the wraparounds)

Harold and Lillian was wonderful!

Does anyone know why My Fair Lady was shown tonight? Was wondering the connection to the Motion Picture Home. Would think everyone connected to the film would be dead by now. I guess not. I thought about recording it, then forgot. (just to watch the wraparounds)

Agreed....showing these oft-aired classic chestnuts w/o explanation of connection to MPTF is bewildering

<_<:blink:

I believe that My Fair Lady was the first big movie premiere held to benefit the MPTF....it was at the Beverly Hilton in October 1964....

I believe that My Fair Lady was the first big movie premiere held to benefit the MPTF....it was at the Beverly Hilton in October 1964....

Ok. Thanks. Solves that mystery!

also tonight......

C - 117 m

TV-14

Widescreen

drama

Synopsis: A lonely sailor falls in love with a single mother during an extended liberty.

DirMark Rydell CastJames Caan , Marsha Mason , Kirk Calloway .

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/70939/Cinderella-Liberty/articles.html

(kinda surprised here, as I KNOW I've seen this'un, but maybe it wasn't TCM)

:unsure: :unsure:

Looks like I missed your question here.  I looked around a bit and there was a poster who mentioned seeing it on AMC back around 2005, and some others who hadn't seen it in a long time, but didn't say where.  For anyone who didn't see it last night, it is tentatively scheduled to air again in November.

Sat., 9-16

12:00 PM (ET)
C - 73 m

western

Synopsis: An Indiana farmer heads to California in search of gold.
DirJosef Shaftel CastDavid Wayne , Keenan Wynn , James Barton .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

D: Josef Shaftel. David Wayne, Keenan Wynn, James Barton, Marcia Henderson, Jim Backus. "Raggedy account of Wayne who has gold fever and spends life searching for ore, ignoring wife and family."

& see:  https://letterboxd.com/film/the-naked-hills/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2:30 AM (ET)                               Underground........
C - 101 m

horror

Synopsis: An archeologist discovers his daughter is possessed by the spirit of an Egyptian queen.
DirMike Newell CastCharlton Heston , Susannah York , Stephanie Zimbalist .

"based on The Jewel of the Seven Stars, a 1903 novel written by Bram Stoker,....if you approach it as more of a dreamlike dark fantasy, it's easier to appreciate the contributions of legendary cinematographer Jack Cardiff,...and the lush, romantic score by Claude Bolling, also an unexpected choice given his more typical associations with French comedies."

& see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/67827/Awakening-The/articles.html

• Like 1

Judy Woodbury, who lives at the Motion Picture Home, introduced the movie with Ben. She was an extra in several scenes in MFL. Judy did a lot of extra work in career. 

Her wraparounds were quite fun. She spoke of working with Bogie and Bacall, Ann Sheridan and Marilyn Monroe. You could tell Ben got quite a kick out of her.

Yancey

• Like 1