[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

TCM Premieres

1,150 posts in this topic

late Sat., 1-20 for                      Underground....

2:00 AM ET
B/W - 102 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  asylum inmate crafts a plan to revenge himself against those who wronged him
DirLaslo Benedek CastMax von Sydow , Trevor Howard , Liv Ullmann .

"an uncommonly fascinating film .....with "taut but controlled performances that underline the tensions that make The Night Visitor a captivating, moody and scenic thriller."

tcm article:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/84977/Night-Visitor-The/articles.html

nv5.jpg

late tonight 1-21 for                      TCM Imports.......

2:15 AM (ET)
C - 187 m

drama

Synopsis: Migrant workers struggle to send their child to school.
DirErmanno Olmi CastLuigi Ornaghi , Francesca Moriggi , Omar Brignoli .

"Its strength lies not just in its ravishing depiction of the changing seasons in a stunning part of Lombardy nor in its human sympathies, which are never patronising to the ordinary people he finds so unordinary, but in its measured, cumulative approach to the hard life of those close to penury and exploited by the powerful."

tcm article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/93887/Tree-of-Wooden-Clogs-The/articles.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

late 1-24

2:30 AM (ET)
B/W - 141 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
El Norte (1983)

Synopsis: story of indigenous youths who flee Guatemala and make their way to the U.S.
DirGregory Nava CastZaide Silvia Gutiérrez , David Villalpando , Ernesto Gomez Cruz .

"seminal, both for its graceful blend of classical narrative and magic realism, and the power with which it brought an otherwise invisible world to life."

"with astonishing visual beauty, with unashamed melodrama, with anger leavened by hope. It is a Grapes of Wrath for our time."

TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/483204/El-Norte/articles.html

• Like 1

Fri., 1-26 for                         Spotlight: Survival Movies...

9:45 PM (ET)
B/W - 100 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis: a 12 year old, going on 13, leaving the safety and security of his home in Canada to live in the wild. It was based on the bestselling book of the same name by Jean Craighead George that became a sensation in 1959.
DirJames B. Clark CastTeddy Eccles , Theodore Bikel , Tudi Wiggins .

TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/84393/My-Side-of-the-Mountain/articles.html

------------------------------------------------------------------

late Sat., 1-27 for                          Underground....

2:30 AM
B/W - 95 m

TV-14

Razorback (1984)

Synopsis: After the disappearance of his wife, who was filming a documentary in Gamulla, Australia, the husband discovers that she was taken by a giant Razorback. It is now a battle of man against beast.
DirRussell Mulcahy CastGregory Harrison , Bill Kerr , Arkie Whiteley .

wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razorback_(film)

On 1/6/2018 at 2:04 PM, cmovieviewer said:

Sorry I need to update the list of premieres for January based on MovieCollectorOH's report (thank you!) -  Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938) was missing from my list.  Here is the revised list of premieres:

Jan 2 - Too Many Highballs (1933) (short)
Jan 4 - Liliom (1934)
Jan 6 - Never Too Young to Die (1986)
Jan 10 - Romance of a Horsethief (1971)
Jan 12 - Man in the Wilderness (1971)
Jan 12 - Inferno (1953)
Jan 12 - Into the Wild (2007)
Jan 13 - Murder, Inc. (1960)
Jan 14 - Rings on Her Fingers (1942)
Jan 14 - Being Two Isn’t Easy (1962)
Jan 15 - Trouble Man (1972)
Jan 20 - The Night Visitor (1971)
Jan 21 - The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978)
Jan 24 - El Norte (1983)
Jan 26 - My Side of the Mountain (1969)
Jan 27 - Razorback (1984)
Jan 29 * - Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938)

Some trivia - Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938) was originally scheduled for March 19, 2017 but was not shown due to the weekend tribute to Robert Osborne.

Was In Vanda's Room shown before?

10 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yes! According to MovieCollectorOH's database, In Vanda's Room previously aired on March, 2013.

Thanks. I had no clue. Unfortunately I missed it when it first aired. I thought it might have been a premiere.

According to the report that MovieCollectorOH published on January 6, here are the TCM premieres for February:

Feb 5 - Robert Frost: A Lover's Quarrel with the World (1963)
Feb 5 - Inconvenient Truth, An (2006)
Feb 9 - Great Gatsby, The (2013)
Feb 13 - Immortal Love (1961)
Feb 13 - Antonia's Line (1995)
Feb 21 - Blue Sky (1994)
Feb 23 - Dead Man Walking (1995)
Feb 24 - There Will Be Blood (2007)
Mar 3 - Braveheart (1995)

(Included the Mar 3 premiere as part of 31 Days of Oscar.)  Thank you MCOH!

• Thanks 3

A reader wrote in to tell me that Too Many Highballs (1933) was not a Premiere.  It was shown on 2012-09-27.  I don't consider this a major issue on my end, as the schedules have not been as complete with the shorts as with the feature length movies (> 44 minutes).  So as a result shorts can mistakenly be listed by me as premieres, as I have pointed out before.  There is not a whole lot I can do about that.

13 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

A reader wrote in to tell me that Too Many Highballs (1933) was not a Premiere.  It was shown on 2012-09-27.  I don't consider this a major issue on my end, as the schedules have not been as complete with the shorts as with the feature length movies (> 44 minutes).  So as a result shorts can mistakenly be listed by me as premieres, as I have pointed out before.  There is not a whole lot I can do about that.

Thank you for the notice, MCOH.  It must be very difficult to be precise on the premiere dates for shorts.  I happen to still have my Now Playing Guide from September 2012 and I see several entries for "Mack Sennett Films" on that date but no specific titles are included.  Even using the current online schedules I have noticed that some views list more information on the shorts than others, with some titles listed for the weekly view and not the daily view, for example.  So ambiguity on the shorts is common.  Regardless, I'm sure I'm not alone in my appreciation for your TCM schedule information and I would like to thank you again for all that you do to provide it.

57 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Thank you for the notice, MCOH.  It must be very difficult to be precise on the premiere dates for shorts.  I happen to still have my Now Playing Guide from September 2012 and I see several entries for "Mack Sennett Films" on that date but no specific titles are included.  Even using the current online schedules I have noticed that some views list more information on the shorts than others, with some titles listed for the weekly view and not the daily view, for example.  So ambiguity on the shorts is common.  Regardless, I'm sure I'm not alone in my appreciation for your TCM schedule information and I would like to thank you again for all that you do to provide it.

Hi cmovieviewer.  No worries.  You're welcome.  I avoid the Daily view, and recommend the Weekly view.  I put the Monthly view not far behind the Weekly view.  It is just updated a little bit after the Weekly.

On the PMs I have been getting.  In short time I have seen this forum become little more than a political scratching post in a way that even I can't relate to.  Only about 5% or 10% of the communications about my project actually happens through here, even though it is related to TCM.  There have been a number of people who have PM'd me, a little bit here, but mostly elsewhere and some then carried on via email.  Some create accounts just to communicate with me and have zero public posts.  Another is a well known poster here.  I mention them because they have all contributed older schedules to my project, or have brought things to my attention.  So yes, there are more people reading than you see posting here, and your postings are appreciated as well.

Mon., 2-5 for                        31 Days of Oscar: Documentaries......

(times ET)

2:30 PM
B/W - 52 m

documentary

Synopsis: Acclaimed poet and author Robert Frost looks back at his career.
DirShirley Clarke

"The artist, however faithful to his personal vision of reality, becomes the lost champion of the individual mind and sensibility, against an intrusive society and officious state. The great artist is thus a solitary figure. He has, as Frost says, 'A lover's quarrel with the world.'"  - Pres. JFK

... "An effective, moving document of a man in the last few months of his life, a man who appeared much in public (as the semi-official poet laureate of the Kennedy Administration) but whose private side was not well known." The film is not a biography of the man in any real sense, but more a master's class in writing from one of the most beloved poets of the 20th century...."

TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/498407/Robert-Frost-A-Lover-s-Quarrel-with-the-World/articles.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

8:00 PM
C - 97 m

documentary

Synopsis: Former Vice President Al Gore campaigns to expose the dangers of global warming while inspiring the public to take actions to prevent it.
DirDavis Guggenheim CastAl Gore ,

" A look at former Vice President Al Gore's commitment to expose the myths and misconceptions that surround global warming and inspire actions to prevent it.....

Interspersed with the bracing facts and future predictions is the story of Gore's personal journey: from an idealistic college student who first saw a massive environmental crisis looming; to a young Senator facing a harrowing family tragedy that altered his perspective; to the man who almost became President but instead returned to the most impassioned cause of his life--convinced that there is still time to make a difference."

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/636630/Inconvenient-Truth-An/articles.html

Roger Ebert: "You owe it to yourself to see this film. If you do not, and you have grandchildren, you should explain to them why you decided not to,"[56] calling the film "horrifying, enthralling and [having] the potential, I believe, to actually change public policy and begin a process which could save the Earth."[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inconvenient_Truth#Reviews

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the TCM premiere showing of The Great Gatsby (2013) that was scheduled for late this Friday, Feb. 9 at 3 am (ET) has been replaced with The Age of Innocence (1993) (not a TCM premiere).  Sorry for those who were hoping to see this version of The Great Gatsby on TCM.

• Sad 2

Interestingly TCM left Ben's wrap-up intact announcing "Gatsby" as coming up next.  They don't often do that. Usually they just cut it altogether.

• Like 1

Tues., 2-13 for                    31DoOscar:  Foreign Language Films....

(times ET)

8:00 AM
B/W - 107 m

drama
Immortal Love (1961)

Synopsis: A young woman is forced into a marriage with a man she does not love after her fiancé does not return from war. Over the next few decades, their children try to find love of their own while their parents remain miserable.
DirKeisuke Kinoshita CastHideko Takamine , Keiji Sada , Tatsuya Nakadai .

TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/74220/Immortal-Love/articles.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

12:15 AM
C - 103 m

drama

Synopsis: A woman of a Dutch family inherits her mother's farm and begins a matriarchy that twists and turns throughout time.
DirMarleen Gorris CastWilleke Van Ammelrooy , Els Dottermans , Dora Van Der Groen .

TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/442704/Antonia-s-Line/articles.html

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 9:53 PM, yanceycravat said:

Interestingly TCM left Ben's wrap-up intact announcing "Gatsby" as coming up next.  They don't often do that. Usually they just cut it altogether.

Yeah, I noticed that. I wonder what happened to Gatsby? :(

Just out of curiosity (and this is pretty much a question for mr6666 and/or MovieCollectorOhio) in terms of TCM Premieres over the last 2 years, what % are:

1920's - 1940's

1950's - 1970's

1980's and beyond

Inquiring minds want to know.  Thanks.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:53 PM, yanceycravat said:

They also left up the warp up of Mon Oncle (I think) where he said an Ingmar bergman movie would be up next when really it was taken off the schedule.

6 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

They also left up the warp up of Mon Oncle (I think) where he said an Ingmar bergman movie would be up next when really it was taken off the schedule.

Did this not air on Tuesday?

On 2/14/2018 at 1:19 PM, lydecker said:

Just out of curiosity (and this is pretty much a question for mr6666 and/or MovieCollectorOhio) in terms of TCM Premieres over the last 2 years, what % are:

1920's - 1940's

1950's - 1970's

1980's and beyond

Inquiring minds want to know.  Thanks.

I could look into making a report to do that kind of work, in particular something like this:
http://moviecollector.us/reports/3)unique-features_movies-only.htm

The more similar to one of my existing reports, the less I'd have to do.  Counts only, not titles or descriptions.

7 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I saw that at as well. Went through all my schedules but couldn't find what movie had originally been scheduled.

8 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

I saw that at as well. Went through all my schedules but couldn't find what movie had originally been scheduled.

Oh, okay.  So no schedule discrepancy for what actually was shown, and what it says was shown.

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Did this not air on Tuesday?

Yes.

10 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

I think someone in another thread said it was Persona.

• Like 1