Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

TCM Premieres

1,081 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I could look into making a report to do that kind of work, in particular something like this:
http://moviecollector.us/reports/3)unique-features_movies-only.htm

The more similar to one of my existing reports, the less I'd have to do.  Counts only, not titles or descriptions.

That would be great if/when you had time.  No need for titles or descriptions  --  just was looking for decade "groups."  Everybody here keeps claiming that there are so many more post 1950's movies making their way on to TCM over the past 2 years.   I was curious to see if the actual premieres numbers would hold up that theory.  Thanks again.  If I can be any help, let me know.

3 hours ago, lydecker said:

That would be great if/when you had time.  No need for titles or descriptions  --  just was looking for decade "groups."  Everybody here keeps claiming that there are so many more post 1950's movies making their way on to TCM over the past 2 years.   I was curious to see if the actual premieres numbers would hold up that theory.  Thanks again.  If I can be any help, let me know.

Okay, that was easy.  Let me know what you think of the numbers.  These are only entries which I have IMDB data for, and >44min.  This includes all feature-length movie premieres, but not the shorts.
http://moviecollector.us/reports/3a)unique-features_movies-only_Historical-Premieres.htm

There are about one or two non-movie entries for each year (though not consistently) which account for the red carpet silliness and so forth that they stick in.  Whether or not they get counted here just depends on whether or not there are IMDB matches for them - if not, then they don't get counted.  In this report, that is generally only expressed in the last line of any TCM broadcast year.  These types of programs also add a few entries here and there in the later decades on my other reports, that is about the biggest discrepancy.

Fascinating info!  Thanks so much for such detail and for going all the way back to 1994.  I want to study this a bit more before making any conclusions but, just on a cursory glance, taking a single decade for example, the past years have clearly seen a sharp drop in the premieres of 1930's films, to be sure.  On the other hand, since TCM premiered so many of that decade's films early on in its history, that makes a certain amount of sense.  I look forwarding to parsing this info this weekend.  Thanks again! 

6 hours ago, lydecker said:

Fascinating info!  Thanks so much for such detail and for going all the way back to 1994.  I want to study this a bit more before making any conclusions but, just on a cursory glance, taking a single decade for example, the past years have clearly seen a sharp drop in the premieres of 1930's films, to be sure.  On the other hand, since TCM premiered so many of that decade's films early on in its history, that makes a certain amount of sense.  I look forwarding to parsing this info this weekend.  Thanks again! 

Yeah, all that indicates is that they burned through a lot of the 1930s premieres earlier on.  In the real world that doesn't mean much of anything, it is just a number, as you have seen in my prior "Report #3" in this thread they still have a bell-curve type of emphasis on the mid-century films. 

It is true they have been including more foreign films over the years, as they become available, especially right now since this is Feb.  May these serve as a reminder that different countries do each have their own irrevocable identities and long-term heritage, in spite of whatever money junkies try to do or say in their infinite greed.

There are still the out-of-house films which need to be shown for the first time on TCM from American studios like Paramount, Disney, Fox, Universal, poverty row, etc.  Also I think they should continue to go through the rare early sound stuff that they have shown before.

It was easy to go all the way back to 1994, using some of my original work from other reports.  Computers can speed things up though one shouldn't lose sight of "trust but verify", which is critical for any real analytical work.  So much of the time goes into spot-checking to make sure it is working correctly.  The numbers in the earlier years might be a little different with a more complete set of data (in particular from 1998 and 1999), but overall this is getting pretty close.  The early 2000s seem kind of sparse in premieres, though they are complete.  All in all no big surprises for me.

• Thanks 3

Thank you for doing all that mcOH. There should be a direct link for us to post statistics for every newbie complaint: "TCM programming has changed_______" (in whatever way they imagine)

59 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Thank you for doing all that mcOH. There should be a direct link for us to post statistics for every newbie complaint: "TCM programming has changed_______" (in whatever way they imagine)

It is a bit unfortunate that with the new forum website design the signature area has not been enabled.  I still put my website link in the tiny letters up by my name, though people would need to copy and paste it into the browser.

In general I think my "Report #3" is probably the best for this purpose.  There are other reports which either get broader in scope or more specific in various ways.  But this one mainly covers unique instances of feature length movies by year.
http://moviecollector.us/reports/3)unique-features_movies-only.htm

• Thanks 1