Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

TCM Premieres

1,186 posts in this topic

I haven't seen Revolution in a long time, and I'm unsure if what I saw was the director's cut or not, but, even as a big fan of Al Pacino, I thought this was his worst movie up to that time, and for sometime after, probably until he started doing direct-to-video stuff in the late 00's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I haven't seen Revolution in a long time, and I'm unsure if what I saw was the director's cut or not, but, even as a big fan of Al Pacino, I thought this was his worst movie up to that time, and for sometime after, probably until he started doing direct-to-video stuff in the late 00's.

from article........

" Hudson himself re-edited it and got Pacino to do a whole new narration for the director's cut which, contrary to popular standards, ran shorter than the theatrical cut. Move to the present day and the consensus is that Revolution is a lot better than people once thought. ..."

:unsure:

6 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

from article........

" Hudson himself re-edited it and got Pacino to do a whole new narration for the director's cut which, contrary to popular standards, ran shorter than the theatrical cut. Move to the present day and the consensus is that Revolution is a lot better than people once thought. ..."

:unsure:

I actually have the director's cut on DVD, but I haven't watched it yet. Pacino is among my favorite actors, and I have a collection of his movies. I was planning on watching them in a marathon sometime in the future, and then I'd reassess Revolution, along with a handful of others that I didn't care much for.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I agree that REVOLUTION definitely isn't among Al's best performances.

Having said that, I do think it's a watchable film, if only because I am a sucker for movies taking place in the era of The Revolutionary War.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I agree that REVOLUTION definitely isn't among Al's best performances.

Having said that, I do think it's a watchable film, if only because I am a sucker for movies taking place in the era of The Revolutionary War.

I was thinking about how few of them there are, which seems odd, as I would have thought the period would be very fertile movie material. But I can think of very few good, let alone great, Revolutionary War movies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mr6666 said:

late Sat., early Sun. 7-8

4:15 AM (ET)      dumb hour, again :rolleyes:
B/W - 127 m

TV-14

Widescreen

Revolution (1985)

Synopsis: a fur trapper (Pacino) who finds himself connected to the American War of Independence when his son gets drafted into the Continental Army.
DirHugh Hudson CastAl Pacino , Donald Sutherland , Nastassja Kinski .

".... The critics hated it and the public was decidedly uninterested. But then something happened: time passed. And the more it passed, the more people gave it another look. Hudson himself re-edited it and got Pacino to do a whole new narration for the director's cut which, contrary to popular standards, ran shorter than the theatrical cut. Move to the present day and the consensus is that Revolution is a lot better than people once thought...."

see article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/16281/Revolution/articles.html

Well, gosh, Revolution is starting in like four hours. I just got a new machine and would have to set it up if I wanted to record it, but I just don't think I have the energy to do that. Think I'm going to bed in the next 15 minutes. If it's available on Amazon Prime, maybe I'll watch it there sometime. I wonder how it compares to The Patriot with Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger. I assume more realistic? Is it R-rated? All the people who used to come on here and complain that TCM was trying to suck in the hipster kids with their post-1980 movies, I hope some of them hung around long enough to see TCM just bury this thing in the middle of the night.

Edit: Wow, Annie Lennox is in it in the coveted role of Liberty Woman, who I can only hope is a Golden Age costumed hero transported in time!

I have been kicking around the idea of a catch-all type of table for some time.  This evening I decided to put one together:

Unshown Movies from Miscellaneous US Production Companies
http://moviecollector.us/reports/unscheduled_Miscellaneous_Production_Companies.htm

This is the remainder of US movies which didn't make it into my other "unscheduled" tables. In this table they are limited to the years 1928-1990 due to size considerations.

Taken together with my other "unscheduled" by production studio tables (things I don't think TCM has played), and my "TCM Schedule Summary" table (things I do think TCM has played), all classic era US movies should be listed.
http://moviecollector.us/reports.htm

In this first pass there may be some crud from IMDB that doesn't belong there (it is a catch-all, after all), but for the most part it is feature films, TV movies and TV specials, 45 min or longer.  No TV series episodes.

edit (July 10): Disney Production entries moved from "unscheduled_miscellaneous" table to new "unscheduled_Disney" table.

• Thanks 2

You're so organized!
I wish you could spend a few days sorting & organizing my DVDs of recorded TCM movies.

• Like 1

late tonight...........

4:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 98 m

TV-PG

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Festival (1967)

Synopsis: "Before rock became the dominant music of the counter-culture, there was folk, and this documentary captures most of the leading lights of that movement over the course of three Newport Folk Festivals in 1963, 1964 and 1965. The film captures performances by Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary, Judy Collins, Pete Seeger, Donovan, Odetta, and many more. ....

Festival is a reminder of what these gatherings were like before the age of corporate sponsorship, endless swag and ubiquitous electronic devices mediating between the performer and the spectator. ......

DirMurray Lerner CastJoan Baez , Horton Barker , Fiddler Beers .

TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/492207/Festival/articles.html

• Thanks 1

There are a bunch of Leonard Bernstein lectures coming up in a few days and I can't wait. I especially hope to see his episodes on operas and operettas. 

• Like 1

Premiering tomorrow.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1415285|0/Leonard-Bernstein-Centennial-7-20-7-22.html

Young People's Concerts, a tradition of the New York Philharmonic since 1924, were the longest-running series of family concerts of classical music in the world. Bernstein arranged for the concerts to be televised on CBS-TV upon his arrival as the Philharmonic's music director in 1958. The shows were syndicated in more than 40 countries. Bernstein continued the concerts even after he left as the orchestra's conductor in 1969; they ran through March 1972. These are the Young People's Concerts screening on TCM: What Does Music Mean?(1958), Humor in Music (1959), What Is a Mode? (1966) and A Toast to Vienna in 3/4 Time (1967). 

The award-winning series Omnibus was created in 1952 by the Ford Foundation in an effort to "raise the level of American taste." It ran at various times on CBS, ABC and NBC-TV through 1961 and had a brief revival in 1981. The show offered programming devoted to the arts, science and the humanities, with interviews and performances of notable performers and artists from various fields. 

Bernstein gave his first televised music lectures on the show, including his well-remembered analysis of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony (1954), in which he employs some of the composer's discarded sketches to show what the music might have been like if they were left in. The other Omnibus programs in our series include The World of Jazz (1955), The Art of Conducting (1955), The American Musical Comedy (1956), Introduction to Modern Music (1957), The Music of Johann Sebastian Bach (1957) and What Makes Opera Grand?(1958). 

That final selection was another favorite of viewers of the series, illustrating the powerful effect of an opera's music. Among the demonstrations is one in which actor Hans Conried delivers dramatic readings in English as Marcello in La Boheme, followed by a singer who performs the same lines in the original Italian complete with musical scoring. 

• Thanks 2