mr6666

TCM Premieres

1,526 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2018 at 8:07 PM, mr6666 said:

Sat., 10-6 for                           HOW TO WIN BACK YOUR WIFE....

8:00 PM
B/W - 77 m

TV-G

Closed
Captions
genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis: A woman divorces her husband of 20 years because he gambles too much.
DirRichard Sale CastClaudette Colbert , MacDonald Carey , Zachary Scott .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

? Richard Sale. Claudette Colbert, Macdonald Carey, Zachary Scott, Robert Wagner, Barbara Bates, Marilyn Monroe.

Trifling comedy in which Colbert divorces Carey and is tempted to wed ex-beau Scott. Monroe is wasted as a bathing beauty.

Very disappointing. I missed the first 5 mins, but I doubt I missed much. Very tiresome. Colbert wasted in this routine divorce comedy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Wasnt The Wicked Lady a TCM premiere? I dont remember TCM showing it before......

Per my modest records, The Wicked Lady (1945) was shown on TCM at least once before in January 2017, so it was not a premiere this month.

• Thanks 1

Somehow I missed it. Glad I didnt this time around..........

Tues., 10-9

times ET

3:15 PM
B/W - 92 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  Wild animals in Africa are documented in footage taken over a four year period in the Kalihari and Namib deserts. Some unusual moments include a honeybird directing a honeybadger to a bee tree, and a party resulting from animals getting drunk on overripe berries.
DirJamie Uys

" South African film tells about life in these areas in a humorous way. It was directed and written by Jamie Uys, who is most famous for his later film The Gods Must Be Crazy. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animals_Are_Beautiful_People

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6:30 PM
B/W - 84 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  This shows Stephen Hawking's daily life as he deals with the ALS that renders him virtually immobile and unable to speak without the use of computer. Hawking's friends, family, former classmates and peers are interviewed about not only his theories but the man himself.

DirErrol Morris CastMary Hawking , Basil King , Derek Powney .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Brief_History_of_Time_(film)

• Like 1

Sun., 10-14 for                    TCM Imports....

2:00 AM (ET)
C - 99 m

TV-MA

drama

Synopsis: A shy secretary tries to make the most of her vacation after her traveling companion cancels.
DirEric Rohmer CastMarie Rivière , Beatrice Romand , Carita .

"It was released as Summer in North America. The film was adapted from the novel of the same name by Jules Verne. It was shot in France on 16mm film and much of the dialogue is improvised.

The film won the Golden Lion and the FIPRESCI Prize at the 1986 Venice Film Festival....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Ray_(film)

• Like 1

It looks like they slipped Cat From Outer Space into that block since my last update.  In addition to those already on my list in the posts above, I'm going to call that a premiere.

edit: Looks like they inserted it into tonight's schedule (oct 15/16) just on the 11th.

Last night (2018-10-15) TCM aired Robot vs the Aztec Mummy, The (1965).  In the intro Ben described it as the dubbed version released by American International.  The print shown was the original Spanish language version which was subtitled. Anyone know if this version was a TCM Premiere? No biggie just curious.

On 10/15/2018 at 10:36 PM, yanceycravat said:

Last night (2018-10-15) TCM aired Robot vs the Aztec Mummy, The (1965).  In the intro Ben described it as the dubbed version released by American International.  The print shown was the original Spanish language version which was subtitled. Anyone know if this version was a TCM Premiere? No biggie just curious.

Among other versions, IMDB says this:

(original title)        La momia azteca contra el robot humano
USA (dubbed version)      The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy
World-wide (English title)      The Aztec Mummy Against the Humanoid Robot

I see a problem with this already.  Full stop.  http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

edit: This won't be much help, but I checked and have the Sep 2015 airing, which was the dubbed version (actual talking, not just schedule title).  As per my list, only a few others to rule out: 2009-11, 2010-06, 2016-10

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Flight of the Navigator is actually overlooked fun by 80's Summer-of-Love kiddy standards, if you accept that the last half is pretty much a star vehicle for Paul Reubens doing his then-unknown Pee-Wee shtick.  We didn't know that back then, and audience reaction was divided at best.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (Ron Miller digging up Walt's old backup-memos from the "Saving Mr. Banks" days, in case Pamela Travers said no to Mary Poppins) is probably the best of the latter-Disney Poppins-wannabes, assuming they show the extended "restored" version that came to disk back in '01.

The Cat From Outer Space is inoffensive 60's-Disney throwback trying to tap into 70's spaceships, and The Black Hole is best viewed as a...curiosity.  Big studios trying to embrace "the Star Wars craze", back when "2001" was still coin of the realm, and Disney tries to paste cute robots onto a cerebral-scifi plot.  I remember when it opened within a week of the equally soporific first Star Trek movie, and the two deserve each other.  

Thurs., 10-18 for                      Funny Ladies....

(times ET)

3:45 AM
B/W - 106 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  After he is falsely accused of embezzling at the bank where he works, a widower, his seven children, and their maid find themselves on the lam.
DirGeorge Marshall CastBob Hope , Phyllis Diller , Jonathan Winters .

"Bob Hope has given the screen some of its most amusing moments, but "Eight on the Lam," unfortunately, contains none of them. You wouldn't think Hope and Jonathan Winters, those masters of timing, could possibly make a dull and sloppy comedy, but they did,...."  :rolleyes:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/eight-on-the-lam-1967

======================================================

Fri., 10-19 for                       Directed by Gerald Thomas....

10:00 PM

Nurse on Wheels ( 1963)

A young woman moves with her scatterbrain mother to a country village to take up her first job as District Nurse.

Dir Gerald Thomas Cast Juliet Mills , Ronald Lewis , Joan Sims .

BW- 86 mins,

"... substituting romance and a few serious moments for the innuendoes of the Carry On films while focusing on small-town eccentrics without the rampant mugging of the other films. The result is the kind of charming, almost sentimental British comedy rarely made any more. ...

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/558100/Nurse-on-Wheels/articles.html

==============================================

late night for                     Underground II

3:45 AM

Dead Sleep ( 1990)

A nurse investigates suspicious deaths related to electronic sleep induction therapy at a psychiatric clinic.

Dir Alec Mills Cast Linda Blair , Tony Bonner , Sueyan Cox .

BW- 90 mins, CC,

IMDB rates 4.7/10**

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099376/  -_-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sleep

• Like 2

Sat., 10-20 & 21 for                       Noir Alley....

12:00 AM

Hunted, The ( 1948)

A police detective investigating a jewel robbery discovers evidence that points to his girlfriend as the culprit, although she claims she was framed.

Dir Jack Bernhard Cast Preston Foster , Belita , Pierre Watkin .

BW- 84 mins, CC,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunted_(1948_film)

==================================

Noir AlleyVerified account @NoirAlley Oct 16

See Preston Foster and Belita in THE HUNTED ('48) this week on #NoirAlley hosted by @EddieMulle

Dpqxo5xXgAA1oKi.jpg

late Sat., 10-20

2:00 AM(ET)

Wanderers, The ( 1979)

Set on the eve of the Kennedy assassination, the eponymous gang lives through a dizzying succession of racial, cultural and generational conflicts marking the end of an age of innocence, as the greaser paradigm of the 1950s encounters the first angry folk-rock notes of the 1960s.

Dir Philip Kaufman Cast Ken Wahl , John Friedrich , Karen Allen .

BW- 117 mins, Letterbox Format

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/95048/Wanderers-The/articles.html

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, Hibi said:

Very disappointing. I missed the first 5 mins, but I doubt I missed much. Very tiresome. Colbert wasted in this routine divorce comedy.

Arguably our finest living critic, film historian   Bogdanovich a runner-up on historian pt

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

late Sat., 10-20

2:00 AM(ET)

Wanderers, The ( 1979)

Set on the eve of the Kennedy assassination, the eponymous gang lives through a dizzying succession of racial, cultural and generational conflicts marking the end of an age of innocence, as the greaser paradigm of the 1950s encounters the first angry folk-rock notes of the 1960s.

Dir Philip Kaufman Cast Ken Wahl , John Friedrich , Karen Allen .

BW- 117 mins, Letterbox Format

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/95048/Wanderers-The/articles.html

(***1/2-very good)

After years of nagging TCM finally came to it's senses & hired MR. MALTIN   KUDOS "SPORTS FANS" AT THE NETWORK

Now you grand folks gotta' get legal rights to the all-timers DUMBO, PINOCCHIO, FANTASIA,etc

But strangest of all is *GFI & *GFII?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spence said:

Now you grand folks gotta' get legal rights to the all-timers DUMBO, PINOCCHIO, FANTASIA,etc

But strangest of all is *GFI & *GFII?

Those films are good but they cost a lot of money so I wouldn't wait to see them on TCM any time soon. 

Mon., 10-22 for                        200 YEARS OF FRANKENSTEIN .......

8:00 PM & 11 PM (ET)
B/W - 52 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
This documentary examines 19-year-old Mary Shelley's novel and its eternal theme: Man's quest for the secret of Life. The bicentenary of its publication will allow a wide public to explore the novel and discover its extraordinary modernity two centuries after it first appeared.
  • Thanks 2

Tues., 10-23 for                         SOTM:  Rita Hayworth.....

10:00 PM (ET)
B/W - 123 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:
DirClifford Odets CastRita Hayworth , Anthony Franciosa , Gig Young .

" The Story on Page One is stronger on domestic drama than political argument, but it makes telling points about the power of money in the American legal system, as well as the difficulty of winning a case unless you're fortunate enough to have first-rate lawyering on your side. Odets's steady concern with the everyday psychological problems of ordinary people also stands out, ....."

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/91539/Story-on-Page-One-The/articles.html

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

? Clifford Odets. Rita Hayworth, Anthony Franciosa, Gig Young, Mildred Dunnock, Hugh Griffith, Sanford Meisner, Robert Burton.

"Lovers Hayworth and Young are accused of killing Rita's husband, hire Franciosa to represent them in court. Odets' stark film has high tension and sincere performances, although Dunnock's Mama portrayal is a bit much. CinemaScope."

:)

• Thanks 1

Wed., 10-24 FOR                      Bela Lugosi......

10:30 PM (ET)
B/W - 76 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

? Ford Beebe. CAST: Irene Hervey, Don Porter, Nils Asther, Lionel Atwill, Leif Erickson, Bela Lugosi, Ralph Morgan.

Intriguing grade-B thriller about creepy supernatural figure stalking country estate, murdering doctors who are visiting crippled Morgan.

------------------------------------------------------------------

12:00 AM
B/W - 73 m

TV-PG

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis: A series of interconnected murders in London lead back to a life insurance company run by Dr. Orloff.
DirWalter Summers CastBela Lugosi ,

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

? Walter Summers.  Cast:  Bela Lugosi, Hugh Williams, Greta Gynt, Edmon Ryan, Wilfred Walter.

Absurd, sometimes engaging Edgar Wallace tale of evil Lugosi using blind men as pawns in elaborate murder scheme. Original British title: DARK EYES OF LONDON. Remade in West Germany as DEAD EYES OF LONDON.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2018 at 3:51 PM, mr6666 said:

Tues., 10-23 for                         SOTM:  Rita Hayworth.....

10:00 PM (ET)
B/W - 123 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

? Clifford Odets. Rita Hayworth, Anthony Franciosa, Gig Young, Mildred Dunnock, Hugh Griffith, Sanford Meisner, Robert Burton.

"Lovers Hayworth and Young are accused of killing Rita's husband, hire Franciosa to represent them in court. Odets' stark film has high tension and sincere performances, although Dunnock's Mama portrayal is a bit much. CinemaScope."

:)

As listed on the TCM info page, the theatrical aspect ratio of The Story on Page One is 2.35 to 1, so I guess we can tribute FOX for the 4x3 pan & scan version that was shown on TCM tonight.  Very disappointing for a premiere broadcast.  I really wish there was some place in the program listings that would reveal the details of the format they are planning to show.

2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

As listed on the TCM info page, the theatrical aspect ratio of The Story on Page One is 2.35 to 1, so I guess we can tribute FOX for the 4x3 pan & scan version that was shown on TCM tonight.  Very disappointing for a premiere broadcast.  I really wish there was some place in the program listings that would reveal the details of the format they are planning to show.

I'm beginning to think they don't even have the opportunity to vet third party assets, as they *may* just be released to air through the various real-time network channels, at time of airing.  If that were the case, it would explain things a bit such as unusual aspect ratios, foreign releases, unplayed silents at the last minute due to no musical score, etc.

• Thanks 1