mr6666

TCM Premieres

1,385 posts in this topic

Here are the TCM premieres for January, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on December 4. Note that TCM is continuing to premiere selected cartoons on Saturdays, so these are listed separately.

Jan 4 - Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things (1971)
Jan 5 - Mandrake, the Magician serial Ch. 12: The Reward of Treachery (1939)
Jan 5 - Gunfight at Comanche Creek (1963)
Jan 6 - Colossal Youth (2006)
Jan 9 - Man on a Tightrope (1953)
Jan 10 - The Minotaur (1960)
Jan 13 - 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her (1967)
Jan 14 - James Stewart, Robert Mitchum: The Two Faces of America (2017) (doc.)
Jan 18 - Butcher Baker, Nightmare Maker (1983)
Jan 20 - A Dancer's World (1957) (doc.)
Jan 23 - The Ernie Kovacs Show, Episode 1 (1961)
Jan 23 - The Ernie Kovacs Show, Episode 2 (1961)
Jan 23 - Wake Me When It's Over (1960)
Jan 23 - The Ernie Kovacs Show, Episode 3 (1961)
Jan 24 - The Tyrant of Lydia Against the Son of Hercules (1963)
Jan 24 - Hercules Against the Mongols (1963)
Jan 24 - Hercules Against the Barbarians (1964)
Jan 27 - Querelle (1982)

- Saturdays: cartoons
Jan 5 - MGM: Wags to Riches (1949)
Jan 5 - Popeye: Never Kick a Woman (1933)
Jan 12 - Popeye: Little Swee' Pea (1936)
Jan 19 - MGM: Barney Bear's Polar Pest (1944)
Jan 19 - Popeye: Hold the Wire (1933)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Thanks 3

The TCM schedule for late night January 4 has been changed:

The scheduled premiere of Frogs (1972) has been replaced with the film Stranger Than Paradise (1984) (not a TCM premiere).

The list of premieres above has been modified to reflect the change.

• Thanks 1

late Fri., 1-4 for                              Underground....

2:15 AM

Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things ( 1971)

Two eccentric fugitives become roommates in Miami to avoid the law, while one dresses in drag as the other's aunt, leading to deception and murder.

Dir Thomas Casey  Cast:  (Wayne Crawford under the name Scott Lawrence) and Abe Zwick,

The TLA Video and DVD guide gave the film one star stating that it is full of stereotypes, but is "good for a laugh".[3] Raymond Murry states that "Gay relationships don't come any sicker than in this enjoyably bizarre drive-in slasher-***-camp pic."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sometimes_Aunt_Martha_Does_Dreadful_Things

BW- 95 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

• Thanks 3

On 12/27/2018 at 12:05 AM, cmovieviewer said:

Here are the TCM premieres for January, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on December 4. Note that TCM is continuing to premiere selected cartoons on Saturdays, so these are listed separately.

Jan 4 - Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things (1971)
Jan 5 - Mandrake, the Magician serial Ch. 12: The Reward of Treachery (1939)
Jan 5 - Gunfight at Comanche Creek (1963)
Jan 6 - Colossal Youth (2006)
Jan 9 - Man on a Tightrope (1953)
Jan 10 - The Minotaur (1960)
Jan 13 - 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her (1967)
Jan 14 - James Stewart, Robert Mitchum: The Two Faces of America (2017) (doc.)
Jan 18 - Butcher Baker, Nightmare Maker (1983)
Jan 20 - A Dancer's World (1957) (doc.)
Jan 23 - The Ernie Kovacs Show, Episode 1 (1961)
Jan 23 - The Ernie Kovacs Show, Episode 2 (1961)
Jan 23 - Wake Me When It's Over (1960)
Jan 23 - The Ernie Kovacs Show, Episode 3 (1961)
Jan 24 - The Tyrant of Lydia Against the Son of Hercules (1963)
Jan 24 - Hercules Against the Mongols (1963)
Jan 24 - Hercules Against the Barbarians (1964)
Jan 27 - Querelle (1982)

I am excited to see Man on a Tightrope, a little-known Kazan film about a circus troupe traveling in central Europe. Sometime in the 1970s or early 1980s I saw Two or Three Things I Know About Her, and don't remember a darn thing about it except that Marina Vlady is in it, and the "her" refers to Paris. I rented Querelle back in the VCR era and was disappointed. A Fassbinder film from a Genet novel and starring Brad Davis really ought to have more homoerotic punch.

Sat., 1-5 for                               Gunfights.....

10:15 PM

Gunfight at Comanche Creek ( 1964)

Detective employed to help smash a band of outlaws works his way into the gang and saves himself from an impossible situation by exposing the master-mind of the gang in time to save his own life.

Dir Frank McDonald Cast Audie Murphy , Ben Cooper , Colleen Miller .

BW- 91 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058165/

late Sun., early Mon.. for                           TCM Imports..........

5 AM (ET)
B/W - 156 m

TV-PG

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  Ventura, a Cape Verdean laborer living in the outskirts of Lisbon, is suddenly abandoned by his wife Clotilde. Ventura feels lost between the dilapidated old quarter where he spent the last 34 years and his new lodgings in a recently-built low-cost housing complex. All the young poor souls he meets seem to become his own children.
DirPedro Costa CastVentura , Vanda Duarte , Beatriz Duarte .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Youth_(film)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/colossal_youth

RT rates 90%

:unsure:

• Thanks 1

late Wed., 1-9 for                Director Elia Kazan.....

(sorry, late)

3:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 105 m

TV-PG

Closed
Captions
genre_NONE_expanded.gif

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Elia Kazan. Fredric March, Gloria Grahame, Terry Moore, Cameron Mitchell, Adolphe Menjou, Richard Boone, Robert Beatty.

Passable based-on-fact account of an obscure, downtrodden little circus troupe and its escape from Communist-ruled Czechoslovakia to freedom in Austria. Has its moments, but the characters are far too broadly drawn. Scripted by Robert E. Sherwood.

Thurs., 1-10 for                   TCM Spotlight:  Sword & Sandals......

2:45 AM (ET)
B/W - 96 m

TV-PG

Minotaur, The (1960)

Synopsis:  The queen of Crete periodically tosses unlucky citizens to the half-man, half-bull that resides in the local labyrinth, but when she offers her own twin sister to the beast, Olympic decathlon gold-medal winner Bob Mathias comes to the rescue.

DirSilvio Amadio CastBob Mathias , Rosanna Schiaffino , Alberto Lupo .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minotaur,_the_Wild_Beast_of_Crete

Sun., 1-13 for                          TCM Imports........

(times ET)

2:00 AM

2 or 3 Things I Know About Her ( 1967)

The story of a housewife who must work the streets to earn an extra living--and who becomes the starting point for a larger socio-political essay.

Dir Jean-Luc Godard Cast Marina Vlady , Anny Duperey , Roger Montsoret .

BW- 87 mins, Letterbox Format

" Godard wrote that "I wanted to include everything: sports, politics, even groceries. Everything should be put in a film".[1] Godard himself narrates the film in a whispered voice-over that discusses his fears to the audience about the contemporary world, ....."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_or_Three_Things_I_Know_About_Her

=====================================

Mon., 1-14.  for               Stewart & Mitchum.....

8:00 PM

James Stewart, Robert Mitchum: The Two Faces of America ( 2017)

"(Gregory Munro) would make a documentary playing the two actors' personalities off of each other as an examination of America. ......

Stewart represents the nave, kind and gentle America that succeeded in the face of adversity, helped others whenever it could and presented something to emulate. Mitchum represents the "bad boy" side of America, still kind and generous but the kind of guy you want with you when you want to have a good time or maybe do something a little shady. ...."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2162768/James-Stewart-Robert-Mitchum-The-Two-Faces-of-America/articles.html

Dir Gregory Monro

BW- 57 mins, CC,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/12/2019 at 3:25 PM, mr6666 said:

Sun., 1-13 for                          TCM Imports........

(times ET)

2:00 AM

2 or 3 Things I Know About Her ( 1967)

The story of a housewife who must work the streets to earn an extra living--and who becomes the starting point for a larger socio-political essay.

Dir Jean-Luc Godard Cast Marina Vlady , Anny Duperey , Roger Montsoret .

BW- 87 mins, Letterbox Format

" Godard wrote that "I wanted to include everything: sports, politics, even groceries. Everything should be put in a film".[1] Godard himself narrates the film in a whispered voice-over that discusses his fears to the audience about the contemporary world, ....."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_or_Three_Things_I_Know_About_Her

=====================================

Mon., 1-14.  for               Stewart & Mitchum.....

James Stewart, Robert Mitchum: The Two Faces of America ( 2017)

"(Gregory Munro) would make a documentary playing the two actors' personalities off of each other as an examination of America. ......

Stewart represents the nave, kind and gentle America that succeeded in the face of adversity, helped others whenever it could and presented something to emulate. Mitchum represents the "bad boy" side of America, still kind and generous but the kind of guy you want with you when you want to have a good time or maybe do something a little shady. ...."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2162768/James-Stewart-Robert-Mitchum-The-Two-Faces-of-America/articles.html

Dir Gregory Monro

BW- 57 mins, CC,

2 or 3 Things I Know About Her is a very good film. Its use of prostitution in middle class Paris to tell about exploitation, strife and war in Vietnam and throughout the world is very good. The film is relevant more today than ever

My thanks to LawrenceA who has posted in another thread that some of the TV schedule services are showing that the movie Amazons of Rome (1963) has been replaced with The Revolt of the Gladiators (1958) late Thursday evening (4:30 am Friday morning Eastern time).  The Revolt of the Gladiators also goes by the title The Warrior and the Slave Girl, as well as the Italian title 'La rivolta dei gladiatori'.  Since I don't see any of these titles in MovieCollectorOH's data, The Revolt of the Gladiators may be a TCM premiere.  (Amazons of Rome was not a scheduled premiere.)

The online TCM schedules are currently not listing this change but past experience has shown that the other TV schedule services may be more up-to-date.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

My thanks to LawrenceA who has posted in another thread that some of the TV schedule services are showing that the movie Amazons of Rome (1963) has been replaced with The Revolt of the Gladiators (1958) late Thursday evening (4:30 am Friday morning Eastern time).  The Revolt of the Gladiators also goes by the title The Warrior and the Slave Girl, as well as the Italian title 'La rivolta dei gladiatori'.  Since I don't see any of these titles in MovieCollectorOH's data, The Revolt of the Gladiators may be a TCM premiere.  (Amazons of Rome was not a scheduled premiere.)

The online TCM schedules are currently not listing this change but past experience has shown that the other TV schedule services may be more up-to-date.

Huh...  According to IMDB it wasn't even called "The Revolt of the Gladiators" in English.  That was the title in several different foreign language countries though.  So someone translated it along the way, in spite of the US release title "The Warrior and the Slave Girl".  My project relies on previously cached IMDB AKA correlation to resolve original foreign titles to US releases (TCM listings).  Just to be sure, I checked all the iterations you listed and none are in my TCM schedule database.

• Thanks 1

late Fri., 1-18 for                      Underground.........

2:30 AM (ET)
B/W - 93 m

TV-MA

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  young man's town is "rocked by the unexpected slaying of a TV repairman .... & Extremely bigoted detective Joe Carlson (Svenson) starts investigating and firing out accusations of a homicidal gay love triangle involving Billy, which sets off a mounting body count "

DirWilliam Asher CastBill Paxton , Jimmy Mcnichol , Susan Tyrrell .

".... horror press breathlessly played up that the film was a winner chosen by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA, now better known as the Saturn Awards. And then... it vanished...."

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2181905/Butcher-Baker-Nightmare-Maker/articles.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(thanks, Bogie) :)

Sunday, January 20/21

1113019_landscape.jpg?1536249818

4:45 a.m. (ET)   A Dancer’s World (1957).  Documentary with Martha Graham.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

".....with Graham providing narration, Kroll and director Peter Glushanok introduce audiences to each member of Graham's dance company, who then demonstrate some of the basic dance movements used in the company's rehearsals and performances. .....

see TCM article:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2003137/Dancer-s-World-A/articles.html

Wed., 1-23 for                      Ernie Kovacs Centennial.........

" The word "pioneer" is thrown around a lot to describe those who helped shape a medium, but Ernie Kovacs qualifies for the title because he was a true television innovator. Watching kinescopes of his programs for the first time is a little shocking for those for who think of I Love Lucy as representational of what comedy was in 1950s television.

While other producers were essentially recreating vaudeville or the visual equivalent of a radio program, Kovacs took the medium and the comedy genre and turned it on its head, inside out, and upside down,...

Ernest Edward Kovacs was born on January 23, 1919, ..........

see:  http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1462735|0/Ernie-Kovacs-Centennial-1-23.html

================================================

(times ET)

Ernie Kovacs Show, The: Ernie Kovacs Show, Episode 4, The ( 1961)

BW- 27 mins, CC,

10:45 PM

Ernie Kovacs Show, The: Ernie Kovacs Show, Episode 7, The ( 1961)

BW- 29 mins, CC,

11:30 PM

Wake Me When It's Over ( 1960)

Dir Mervyn LeRoy Cast Ernie Kovacs , Margo Moore , Jack Warden .

BW- 127 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

1:45 AM

Ernie Kovacs Show, The: Ernie Kovacs Show, Episode 8, The ( 1961)

BW- 27 mins, CC,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thurs., 1-24 for                      TCM Spotlight:  Sword & Sandal.........

(times ET)

9:45 PM

Tyrant of Lydia Against the Son of Hercules ( 1963)

The son of Hercules battles the evil king of Lydia.

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/28048/Tyrant-of-Lydia-Against-the-Son-of-Hercules/articles.html

Dir Allan Grunewald

C- 102 mins,

1:30 AM

Hercules Against the Mongols ( 1963)

Genghis Khan's three sons (Sayan, Susdal, and Kin Khan) overrun the city of Tuleda and take Princess Bianca captive. Hercules attempts to win her freedom in exchange for becoming a slave himself.

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/22037/Hercules-Against-the-Mongols/articles.html

BW- 90 mins,

3:15 AM

Hercules Against the Barbarians ( 1964)

Genghis Khan kidnaps the beautiful heir to the throne of Cracow but Hercules sets out to save her and restore the kingdom.

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/23683/Hercules-Against-the-Barbarian/articles.html

BW- 91 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

• Like 1

Was it just me, or looking at first glance on the TCM schedule for April, aside from a retrospective new special about Private Screenings and a few Saturday morning cartoons and possibly the Saga of Gosta Berling, the month was completely devoid of premieres?

• Sad 2

Premieres are becoming a thing of the past.........

• Sad 1

late Sun., 1-27 for                          TCM Imports........

2:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 109 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Querelle (1982)

Synopsis:  a beautiful and depraved French sailor caught up in drug dealing, murder and rough sex, is played by American actor Brad Davis, .........
DirRainer Werner Fassbinder CastBrad Davis , Franco Nero , Jeanne Moreau .

"...Querelle was released just a few weeks after Fassbinder's death to a decidedly mixed reception from critics and audiences. It was a big success in its first weeks in Paris, prompting Genet biographer Edmund White to declare that this was the first time a film with such a strong gay theme had seen such commercial success.

On the other hand, the picture perplexed many reviewers. New York Times critic Vincent Canby called it "a mess, and of value mostly for the ways in which it defines the particular strengths and limitations of the most important European film maker of his generation." .....

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/87468/Querelle/articles.html

:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are the TCM premieres for the 31 Days of Oscar programming, February 1 - March 3, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on January 3:

x Feb 9 - Madness of King George, The (1994) - replaced with Calamity Jane (1953) (not a premiere)
Feb 9 - Nine to Five (1980)
Feb 13 - Under Western Stars (1938)
Feb 28 - Forever Amber (1947)
Mar 1 - Hugo (2011)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2019 at 5:41 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Was it just me, or looking at first glance on the TCM schedule for April, aside from a retrospective new special about Private Screenings and a few Saturday morning cartoons and possibly the Saga of Gosta Berling, the month was completely devoid of premieres?

Geez, are they getting cheap, lazy or just complacent??

(so what's happening to all the $$ from the wine club, Backlot, festivals and Fathom showings??)

:wacko:

- wonder how long THIS post will last  ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Geez, are they getting cheap, lazy or just complacent??

(so what's happening to all the $$ from the wine club, Backlot, festivals and Fathom showings??)

:wacko:

- wonder how long THIS post will last  ;)

Do any of those things go toward the channel's budget, or are they just paying for their respective product lines/events+profit margins? I can't recall any official source saying that any of those programs were designed to increase the channel's renting power, as much as we may wish it to. I wouldn't be surprised if the premieres shown continue to stagnate and/or shrink, as each corporate overlord eyes their respective libraries and how to monetize them exclusively in the streaming era. :( 

• Sad 1

I think it's just because February is when they show the Oscar films so there will be many repeats. The other months, they have been very good with premieres.