mr6666

TCM Premieres

1,395 posts in this topic

late 3-17 for                  TCM Imports....

(times ET)

2:00 AM

Farewell to Dream ( 1956)

A 20-year-old who dreams of going to sea, Yichi is instead forced to run his family's fish shop. The struggling business is located in an alley where wartime authorities forced the family to move, a decision (and government) cursed by Yichi's late father

Dir Keisuke Kinoshita Cast Shinji Tanaka , Yuko Mochizuki , Takahiro Tamura .

BW- 78 mins,

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/513155/Farewell-to-Dream/articles.html

3:30 AM

Garden of Women, The ( 1954)

Set in a stifling upper-class woman's university in Kyoto, where students are taught the "virtues" of womanhood as well as the dangers of Communists and of dancing with men, The Garden of Women (1954) remains a powerful critique of a patriarchal society that crushes women's souls.

Dir Keisuke Kinoshita Cast Mieko Takamine , Hideko Takamine , Keiko Kishi .

BW- 141 mins,

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/513185/Garden-of-Women-The/articles.html

• Thanks 1

late 3-22 for                             Underground.....

(times ET)

Lifeforce ( 1985)

a British-U.S. space mission to investigate Halley's Comet discover a voracious female alien vampire

Dir Tobe Hooper Cast Steve Railsback , Peter Firth , Frank Finlay .

BW- 116 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/18527/Lifeforce/articles.html

4:00 AM

Queen of Blood ( 1966)

An alien species contacts Earth to say that they are coming across the galaxy to make formal contact. Their interstellar starship crashes on Mars and an Earthship is dispatched to attempt a rescue. .... A strange, green-skinned woman is found alive aboard the wreck. As they head back to Earth, the crew begins to die, ......

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_of_Blood

Dir Curtis Harrington Cast John Saxon , Basil Rathbone , Judi Meredith .

BW- 78 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

Lifeforce hasn't been on TCM before? I thought it had, or I would have been making a big deal about it all week. A personal favorite, and highly recommended to fans of strange movies that throw a lot at the screen even if much of it doesn't work. 

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Lifeforce hasn't been on TCM before? I thought it had, or I would have been making a big deal about it all week. A personal favorite, and highly recommended to fans of strange movies that throw a lot at the screen even if much of it doesn't work. 

Lawrence, I was with you in thinking that this had been on TCM and recently! According to MovieCollectorOH's database this is its premiere. I saw the whole thing on one of the cable stations less than six months ago in the middle of the night. It must have been one of the Starz Encore channels. I thought it looked familiar when I was watching it, and then I recognized it from back in the 80s. I agree it is a "strange movie" treat. The individual scenes are marvelous to behold, but the thing completely lacks a cohesive narrative. I think it was made after Cannon films got a big cash infusion from none other than Michael Milken - and to think we thought that he was THE ultimate bad guy back in the day! He was a piker compared to Trump and company! At any rate, Cannon group went on a spending binge and this movie was one of the products of that binge. It resulted in films like this with bankable stars, special effects, and no emphasis on screenplay whatsoever.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I have my own limited list of what's been on TCM since 2014, and Lifeforce has not been scheduled on TCM during that period.

13 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Nothing on my end, so at least a good chance it is.

Yes, now I am fairly positive what I saw in the middle of the night was on one of the Starz Encore channels. What I saw then was the 101 minute release of Lifeforce, and what was on TCM last night was the 116 minute version.

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Whew, glad I recorded it.  :P

I hope you find it as delightfully confounding as I did! And I hope I never come across like I think that the database is your job. I really appreciate having it as a resource. Lots of times what I think is something I never recorded has been on 24 times since TCM first came on the air.

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

I hope you find it as delightfully confounding as I did! And I hope I never come across like I think that the database is your job. I really appreciate having it as a resource. Lots of times what I think is something I never recorded has been on 24 times since TCM first came on the air.

Thanks, I can tell you get something out of it.  It's just something I wanted to get out there, though quite a bit different from the original parts I had thrown together just to keep track of my own movies.  Nobody's putting me up to it but myself. It seemed like an interesting idea to me at the time.  :P

• Like 3

late Sun., 3-24 for                          TCM Imports....

4:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 105 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  a French financier whose business empire has collapsed, and is played by Charles Vanel. Fleeing from criminal charges, he hires Maudet (Jean-Paul Belmondo), a failed boxer, as his "secretary" and traveling companion to accompany him to New York to collect money he has secretly stashed away. Over the course of the story, the two form something like a father-son relationship.....

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/502781/L-aine-des-Ferchaux/articles.html

"... a tale of intrigue, betrayal, crime and escape, but instead of merely taking inspiration from the Hollywood crime noirs of the 1940s and 50s, the story takes the characters right to the source and it becomes a road picture with America as a familiar but ultimately alien geographical and cultural landscape. .."

DirJean-Pierre Melville

CastJean-Paul Belmondo , Charles Vanel , Michele Mercier .

• Thanks 1

on., 3-25 for                           Treasures from Disney Vault......

times ET

8:00 PM

Elmer Elephant ( 1936)

Dir Wilfred Jackson Cast Pinto Colvig , Bernice Hansen , Clarence Nash .

BW- 8 mins, CC,

8:11 PM

African Lion, The ( 1955)

Dir James Algar Cast Winston Hibler ,

BW- 72 mins, CC,

11:00 PM

Yellowstone Cubs ( 1963)

Cast Rex Allen , Nokomis , Tuffy .

BW- 48 mins, CC,

12:00 AM

Country Cousin, The ( 1936)

Dir Wilfred Jackson

BW- 9 mins, CC,

12:12 AM

Wild Country, The ( 1970)

BW- 100 mins, CC,

Cheetah ( 1989)

Dir John Cotter Cast Keith Coogan , Lucy Deakins , Timothy Landfield .

BW- 84 mins, CC,

5:00 AM

Bears and I, The ( 1974)

Dir Bernard McEveety Cast Patrick Wayne , Chief Dan George , Andrew Duggan .

BW- 89 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

(click titles for info)

Here are the TCM premieres for April, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on March 2. Note that on Saturdays TCM is premiering episodes of the Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe serial along with selected cartoons, so these are listed separately.

Apr 2 - The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
Apr 6 - The Spectacle Maker (1934) (short)
Apr 7 - Maîtresse (1975)
Apr 24 - Another Wild Idea (1934) (short)
Apr 26 - I Was a Teenage Zombie (1987)
Apr 28 - An Autumn Afternoon (1962)
Apr 29 - Best of Private Screenings (2019) (2 showings)

- Saturdays: Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe serial
Apr 6 - Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe Ch. 7: The Land of the Dead (1940)
Apr 13 - Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe Ch. 8: The Fiery Abyss (1940)
Apr 20 - Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe Ch. 9: The Pool of Peril (1940)
Apr 27 - Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe Ch. 10: The Death Mist (1940)

- Saturdays: cartoons
Apr 6 - MGM: The Flying Bear (1941)
Apr 6 - Popeye: My Artistical Temperature (1933)
Apr 13 - MGM: The Hick Chick (1946)
Apr 13 - Popeye: Hospitaliky (1937)
Apr 20 - Popeye: The Twisker Pitcher (1937)
Apr 27 - MGM: Barnyard Babies (1935)
Apr 27 - Popeye: Morning, Noon, and Night Club (1937)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Thanks 3

late Fri., 3-29 for                          Underground....

(times ET)

C - 90 m

horror
Final Exam (1981)

Synopsis: A killer wreaks havoc on a college campus.
DirJimmy Huston CastCecile Bagdadi , Joel S. Rice , Ralph Brown .

" Made just a couple of years after Halloween (1978) spawned a generation of low-budget horror films, Final Exam (1981) follows the tradition of 1980s slasher movies with a few variations on the theme. .....

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/74888/Final-Exam/articles.html

4:00 AM
C - 89 m

horror
Night School (1981)

Synopsis: A police investigator attempts to solve the murders of two women from a local night school.
DirKen Hughes CastLeonard Mann , Rachel Ward , Drew Snyder .

"Basic shortcomings in writing, performances and direction, combined with the unnerving relish with which the film carves up its hapless female victims, allow little scope for either genuine horror or a parody of the same." ...

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_School_(1981_film)     ***includes spoilers

:unsure:

• Like 2

late Sun., 3-31 for                          TCM Imports.....

B/W - 108 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  sisters-in-law gathered in a country house where their husbands (brothers from the Lobelius clan) are due to join them after returning from a trip. Chatting to pass the time and get better acquainted with one another, the women open up about their lives with surprising candor. ....

DirIngmar Bergman CastAnita Björk , Karl-Arne Holmsten , Jarl Kulle .

"... Bergman is legendary for his fascination with richly developed female characters, and Secrets of Women stands with the best efforts of his early career. "

see article:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/89502/Secrets-of-Women/articles.html

:)

early Mon., 4-2 for                        SOTM:  Greta Garbo.........

6:00 AM
B/W - 183 m

TV-G

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  defrocked priest takes up with several women before falling in love with an Italian noblewoman, Elizabeth Dohna (Garbo)
DirMauritz Stiller CastLars Hanson , Ellen Cederstrom , Greta Garbo .

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/554152/Goesta-Berling-s-Saga/articles.html

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧Mauritz Stiller. Lars Hanson, Greta Garbo, Ellen Cederstrom, Mona Martenson, Jenny Hasselquist, Gerda Lundequist.

"Memorable drama, from the Selma Lagerlof novel, about a defrocked priest (Hanson) and his love for a young married woman (.... in the role which brought her to world attention). Stiller was, of course, Garbo's discoverer and mentor. Several longer versions run between 105m. and 165m.

Aka GOSTA BERLING'S SAGA, THE SAGA OF GOSTA BERLING, THE LEGEND OF GOSTA BERLING, and THE STORY OF GOSTA BERLING."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess everyone's aware that there are still gaps in the Saturday primetime schedule starting in May.  Probably unlikely that we will see premieres during these times but you never know.  Regardless, thanks to the TCM Schedules Summary it is not hard to check these titles whenever they are added.  Hopefully they will fill out the schedule sometime later this month so we won't have to wait until the last minute.

late Sun., 4-7 for                      TCM Imports....

B/W - 113 m

TV-MA

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Maitresse (1975)

Synopsis:  A young provincial in search of adventure stumbles into the subterranean world of **** when he is implicated in a burglary of a Paris apartment

DirBarbet Schroeder CastGerard Depardieu , Bulle Ogier , Andre Rouyer .

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maîtresse

"... it could not be shown in a public cinema, but in 1980, it was given showings in private clubs and subsequently re-examined, and in February 1981 was granted an X certificate in a cut version. ..."

:unsure:

• Like 2