mr6666

TCM Premieres

1,381 posts in this topic

late 3-17 for                  TCM Imports....

(times ET)

2:00 AM

Farewell to Dream ( 1956)

A 20-year-old who dreams of going to sea, Yichi is instead forced to run his family's fish shop. The struggling business is located in an alley where wartime authorities forced the family to move, a decision (and government) cursed by Yichi's late father

Dir Keisuke Kinoshita Cast Shinji Tanaka , Yuko Mochizuki , Takahiro Tamura .

BW- 78 mins,

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/513155/Farewell-to-Dream/articles.html

3:30 AM

Garden of Women, The ( 1954)

Set in a stifling upper-class woman's university in Kyoto, where students are taught the "virtues" of womanhood as well as the dangers of Communists and of dancing with men, The Garden of Women (1954) remains a powerful critique of a patriarchal society that crushes women's souls.

Dir Keisuke Kinoshita Cast Mieko Takamine , Hideko Takamine , Keiko Kishi .

BW- 141 mins,

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/513185/Garden-of-Women-The/articles.html

• Thanks 1

late 3-22 for                             Underground.....

(times ET)

2:00 AM

Lifeforce ( 1985)

a British-U.S. space mission to investigate Halley's Comet discover a voracious female alien vampire

Dir Tobe Hooper Cast Steve Railsback , Peter Firth , Frank Finlay .

BW- 116 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/18527/Lifeforce/articles.html

4:00 AM

Queen of Blood ( 1966)

An alien species contacts Earth to say that they are coming across the galaxy to make formal contact. Their interstellar starship crashes on Mars and an Earthship is dispatched to attempt a rescue. .... A strange, green-skinned woman is found alive aboard the wreck. As they head back to Earth, the crew begins to die, ......

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_of_Blood

Dir Curtis Harrington Cast John Saxon , Basil Rathbone , Judi Meredith .

BW- 78 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

Lifeforce hasn't been on TCM before? I thought it had, or I would have been making a big deal about it all week. A personal favorite, and highly recommended to fans of strange movies that throw a lot at the screen even if much of it doesn't work. 

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Lifeforce hasn't been on TCM before? I thought it had, or I would have been making a big deal about it all week. A personal favorite, and highly recommended to fans of strange movies that throw a lot at the screen even if much of it doesn't work. 

Lawrence, I was with you in thinking that this had been on TCM and recently! According to MovieCollectorOH's database this is its premiere. I saw the whole thing on one of the cable stations less than six months ago in the middle of the night. It must have been one of the Starz Encore channels. I thought it looked familiar when I was watching it, and then I recognized it from back in the 80s. I agree it is a "strange movie" treat. The individual scenes are marvelous to behold, but the thing completely lacks a cohesive narrative. I think it was made after Cannon films got a big cash infusion from none other than Michael Milken - and to think we thought that he was THE ultimate bad guy back in the day! He was a piker compared to Trump and company! At any rate, Cannon group went on a spending binge and this movie was one of the products of that binge. It resulted in films like this with bankable stars, special effects, and no emphasis on screenplay whatsoever.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I have my own limited list of what's been on TCM since 2014, and Lifeforce has not been scheduled on TCM during that period.