Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Shirley Booth & Robert Ryan

9 posts in this topic

Airing Friday May 13, 2016 on TCM:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-09%2Bat%2B10.23.

I've been going back through threads and came across this, so I wanted to comment. It's a surprising pairing, one you wouldn't initially think to make, but they work so well together. The peace and contentment they find in each other's company surpasses the histrionics you find in many screen romances. I adore this film. My only quibble is that the secondary, contemporary (The Booth/Ryan romance is in flashback.) boarding house romance between her young tenants in no way compares to the main story and acts as a drag on the movie.

• Like 2

I've been going back through threads and came across this, so I wanted to comment. It's a surprising pairing, one you wouldn't initially think to make, but they work so well together. The peace and contentment they find in each other's company surpasses the histrionics you find in many screen romances. I adore this film. My only quibble is that the secondary, contemporary (The Booth/Ryan romance is in flashback.) boarding house romance between her young tenants in no way compares to the main story and acts as a drag on the movie.

Good comment. Obviously the present-day subplot is meant to show us she found continued purpose in life after his death. But the film is less interesting when Ryan is not on screen with her. 

• Like 2

Good comment. Obviously the present-day subplot is meant to show us she found continued purpose in life after his death. But the film is less interesting when Ryan is not on screen with her. 

TopBilled, Any film with Robert Ryan becomes less interesting when he's not on the screen.

• Like 1

TopBilled, Any film with Robert Ryan becomes less interesting when he's not on the screen.

I totally agree!

I totally agree!

Well,  how about any film expect Bad Day at Black Rock.     I select this film because it is hard to dominate a film where the lead (Tracy) is a one-armed veteran.       Ryan wasn't in any films with a child and his dog or that would also be an exception to the rule.   ;)

Daniel Mann could pull amazing performances out of actors- Shirley Booth in "Come Back, Little Sheba", Anna Magnani in "The Rose Tattoo", Susan Hayward in "I'll Cry Tomorrow", Marlon Brando and Glenn Ford in "The Teahouse of the August Moon",  Elizabeth Taylor in "Butterfield 8", Rosalind Russell in "Five Finger Exercise" and Bruce Davison in "Willard".

• Like 1

Well,  how about any film expect Bad Day at Black Rock.   

I still have never seen BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK. I think the reason I've avoided it is because the subject matter doesn't seem interesting to me. Though I'm sure there are excellent performances in it. Maybe one day I will watch it and kick myself for waiting so long.

• Like 1