Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

Guest Programmer Suggestions

27 posts in this topic

No offense to "the voice of SpongeBob SquarePants", but does anyone really care what films this man wants to program on TCM for a night? (Is there another SpongeBob movie coming out that TCM is cross promoting?)

I have been sitting on a suggestion for a Guest Programmer for awhile now but thought it was a bit too esoteric for such a privilege as being guest programmer.

In light of Mr. Kinney's (McKinney's) selection, I guess no one is too obscure to be asked to discuss four of their favorite films.

I would like to suggest Chuck Workman to be asked to be Guest Programmer of TCM. Mr. Workman is the creative person behind the wonderful "100 Years at the Movies" short that TCM runs frequently and is beloved by so many around here. This is obviously a man who loves films and I would be very interested to know what four films he would select and why.

I'd also like to hear more about the creation of this brilliant time capsule and perhaps we could also get a scheduled run of the short so everyone who wants to record the "100 Years" short would have the opportunity. (Maybe we could get a TCM to show a second 'time capsule' he created for the Director's Guild of America that also saluted the first 100 years of motion pictures. That one is called "Precious Images" and contains probably twice as many film clips as the "100 Years..." short. I caught it by chance on the Classic Arts Showcase satellite network that many cable systems carry. It is a poor relative of the TCM short concentrating on rapid editing rather than emotion to tell the story of the first century of filmmaking but interesting just the same.)

Anyway, that's my two-cents in support of Mr. Workman as a Guest Programmer. Do I hear a second? Or a veto? Or anyone have an alternative they would like to place in nomination?

Kyle in Hollywood

I'd like to know who suggested "Spaceballs" and "Mars Attacks". Wassup with that! :o

Spaceballs, IMHO, is a very funny parody of the Star Wars movies. "May the Schwartz be with you!!" However, I'm a sucker for even bad Mel Brooks movies, so take what I say about it with a grain of salt.

As far as Tom Kenny being Guest Programmer, on the promos he seems truly excited about hosting the segment. Maybe bigger stars couldn't care less about classic films. I don't know. But go for it, Spongebob!!

It would be great if they'd invite one of us to host. Hint Hint!!

as I agree, it would be interesting to see what Workman narrows things down to as his four favorites.

I'd like to see Norman Jewison pick some films as a guest programmer. Isn't he the one who came out recently and said Madonna had little talent?

If he did say that, then one can be assured he must have good taste in films.

Speaking of Therealfuster, anybody other than myself think that he excessively posts on this message board. I mean, C'mon close to 900 posts in 9 months....isn't that 100 posts a month!

Speaking of Therealfuster, anybody other than myself think that he excessively posts on this message board. I mean, C'mon close to 900 posts in 9 months....isn't that 100 posts a month!

Thanks to those with the constructive responses.

A "board member" from this forum as a guest programmer would be a great idea. (Has there been a Viewer's Choice Day lately? I never participated in the past but always thought the film choices were very interesting.)

And if I was a bit harsh on Mr. Kinney, I apologise. I know all networks are trying to attract younger viewers and maybe the voice of SpongeBob SquarePants will do just that. But I didn't know that preschoolers were a coveted demographic.

Kyle in Hollywood

you just registered on June 29, 2005, and I am such a fortunate individual to have received one of your initial posts.

I do consider it an honor, and thank you!

As for "changing subject lines", could you possibly mean altering the header line to accommodate a peripheral thought? I'm afraid I do find your train of thought a bit convoluted, my fault of naturally.

If so, then I do it...because I believe it is called, freedom of expression, and it is everything that Frank Capra fought for in films, so I shall continue to do it till the day I die.

I'm sorry if you find it "rude", but your whims do not dictate my actions, as I only follow those rules as instituted by TCM. On top of that, I don't think changing header lines is against any Parliamentary Procedure rules, so I shall not be going to confession about this transgression of mine, in spite of your martinet commentary which I so welcome.

Happy posting here, Sectionone7..if this is really your first post and not one of an already established poster who wanted a name change, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts, and feel free to voice any criticism of my posts as it is most appreciated!

thanks for noticing, in your triptych of posts, that I am going for the Guinness Book of World Records award, for the most posts in a year at TCM message boards!

I have a good start but really need to put on the steam in the next three months, and I'm hoping for 200 posts a month to cinch it, instead of the measly 100 that lazy me has been accomplishing.

By the way, welcome...as I notice you too just registered and surprisingly only a few days before our other new poster, Sectionone7. You seem to have a lot in common, and I'm sure you both will enjoy yourself here. I feel that the posters who enjoy the place most, are not passive-aggressive, or hiding behind pseudonyms... but come right out and just say what is on their mind, and I can see you have that in spades.

Thanks again for being so interested in me, in your first week here yet, to access my post numbers monthly...as I do consider it quite a compliment!

By the way [spoilers ahead]...I'm not a "he".

Be sure to give me the results of your newly instituted survey, that you so cleverly worded as:

"Speaking of Therealfuster, anybody other than myself think that he excessively posts on this message board. I mean, C'mon close to 900 posts in 9 months....isn't that 100 posts a month!"

Enjoy!

As far as the frequency of therealfuster's posts are concerned, is there a ruling anywhere here that prohibits such a thing? I always enjoy HER posts, as they are knowledgeable, witty, and you get the feeling that she REALLY enjoys TCM and classic films, which is why she's an asset to this board. That's just my opinion, and I get the feeling that therealfuster doesn't need me or anyone else here to jump to her defense and say so.......

As for the subject at hand, even though it wouldn't be too popular, I would like to see some of the great directors from outside of the Hollywood system sit in the guest programmer's chair. American Indie directors like Hal Hartley, Jim Jarmusch, Allison Anders, Richard Linklater, etc., or directors outside of the U.S., such as Atom Egoyan, Gus Maddin, Pedro Almodovar, Wim Wenders, Abbas Kiarostami, etc. These are people who are really passionate about film and are making films that continue to breath life into the dying body of what passes for cinema these days. Although this will probably never happen, I still like the idea of Guest Programmers and hope TCM continues the concept indefinitely.....

Thank you, therealfuster. I too crave attention from my peers and therefore appreciate your looking me up and responding in triplicate! As a new member, however, will try to save our fellow posters the longwinded responses and orations which have been known to be a result of sorely needed self validation. I look forward to posting here!

to know your limits, and if one has nothing to say, it is proper to keep one's posts to be of the shortwinded kind.

Short subjects, like Mickey Rooney are amusing and always entertaining.

If, on the other hand, one has a lot to say, and is talking about the Rosetta Stone, it is unfair to shirk the responsibility of doing the subject matter justice.

And trust me...I do have a lot to say about movies, and only a limited number of years to say it in.

Being that I find movies to be of the utmost interest, I shall promise to continue giving them the longwinded treatment which they deserve, particularly since this is a movie forum and not a shorthand forum, begging for posts of an abbreviated or expurgated nature.

But you are most welcome to give your truncated versions of thoughts, if it so pleases you and your dilettante etiquette guide to posting on the Internet.

I hope this attention to you, shall prove beneficial to your most erudite ego, which I can see from your posts so far, shall be quite a boon to the site.

I shall miss having you read my posts, but il n'y a pas de quoi....such is life.

You've really upped the bar with those choices for the TCM guest chair, and it would be fun to see what they would pick as four favorite films.

I had to go look up Atom, not thinking I'd seen any of his films, but was happy to see "The Sweet Thereafter" on it at IMDb which I really did enjoy.

As for the comments by Seconal and the Gibber, I really owe them bigtime. Thanks to being responsive to their factitious posts, I have reached a new high of 900 posts just today, so I shall toast them tonite while I watch my Movies Unlimited copy of Maria Montez and Turhan Bey in that Ali Baba movie, and ask myself concerning my dastardly traits of verbose overkill and rudeness, "Death, where is thy sting?".

Great list you came up with for sure!

not "night" in my little neck of the world's woods, but viewed as late afternoon, to be spent on the veranda sipping Brandy Alexanders, but why quibble?

Your antipathy is not that of a neophyte, since only familiarity breeds contempt, but if masquerades please you..carry on.

If you are home "tonight" at 6:00pm, may I suggest you watch the fine TCM film below, as I think it will resonate with you:

"6:00 pm

Light In The Piazza (1962)

A woman's efforts to marry off her daughter are hindered by a family secret. Olivia de Havilland, Yvette Mimieux, George Hamilton. Director: Guy Green. C-102m, TV-PG"

Enjoy!

I love keith's idea...get a good up and coming or indie director to pick 'em - I guarantee we'd get some varied and original selections. I also like the idea of having a regular type person, a TCM viewer like us here at the forum the opportunity to pick the schedule for let's say an entire day. TCM should run a contest to that effect.

A note to my comrades here...I've seen a significant amount of Spongebob over the past few years, and let me tell you, he's the eternal optimist! Way better than most of the kid fare out there amongst the cable and satellite waves. I think it's kinda cool that Tom's had this opportunity.

Ahhh...and a little note to our new poster here - before you get snap happy with me about what I do with my nights let me enlighten you. It's none of your business.

"Ahhh...and a little note to our new poster here - before you get snap happy with me about what I do with my nights let me enlighten you. It's none of your business"

Silent, no one asked. I responded to unsoliciated information.

"rude", yet non-onanistic header line style...to respond to you and say that though I've salivated occasionally, enjoyed solidating in my time, been a victim of solicitation and solicitude, and been salsainundated, I've never been accused of "soliciating" so I doubt most indubitably your perspicacity in saying that you were responding to "unsoliciated information" in your post concerning my or any other TCM viewer's evening hobbies.

Is this a new word you've coined, as it is most interesting and I think you should supply it to Ambrose Bierce for his next lexicon collection.

That's a rhetorical question really.....

Can you shorten these responses up a bit I have others that need reprimanding.

You know, I think you're jealous! How gratifying! Thank you! And thank you for keeping that one short - it worked!