Sign in to follow this  
LKitten16

Which film will you be catching on Easter Sunday?

27 posts in this topic

Out of Barabbas, The Big Fisherman, King of Kings and The Greatest Story Ever Told

I'm really asking for selfish reasons as I'm trying to figure out which one to watch as I won't be able to see them all. :)

Well, Kitty, out of what you listed, I might be prone to trying to catch BARABBAS, depending on when it starts.  But I might be too busy to be able to see any of them.  Lucky for me, I have my own copies of three of them, so it's no big loss...

Sepiatone

The Yankees and the Rays, followed by the Orioles and the Red Sox. We all have our own particular mythologies to worship. :)

I agree with Andy. Since the day is Festivus to some of the rest of us, why doesn't TCM mix the day up with some good movies?

Methinks they are assuming, and you know what happens when you assume................. :D

King of Kings. Exceptional film.

I have the 1927 silent "King of Kings".  It's unique in that all the title cards are passages taken directly from the Bible with nothing else added.  It's like a forerunner of literal Bible videos made in modern times.

king%2Bof%2Bkings.JPG

Bit of trivia, Jesus is played by  H. B. Warner.  He is Mr Gower in "It's A Wonderful Life" (1947)

17943.gif

I'll record THE SILVER CHALICE because I like the production design of the film. I won't even bother with poor pan-and-scan copy of THE BIG FISHERMAN that TCM airs - I don't care if it's all  they can get, I'm spoiled. I tried to watch it on a previous occasion, I can't handle watching half-a-movie for three hours.

I'm gonna watch CALL THE MIDWIFE and MR. SELFRIDGE on PBS and then want to watch the silent SPIONE (1928) which I have never seen before.  I have seen all the listed classic Easter religious epics too many times to want to view them again.  Also I will be watching my Colorado Rockies play some B-Ball and clobber the Phillies earlier on Easter Sunday. 

I have the 1927 silent "King of Kings".  It's unique in that all the title cards are passages taken directly from the Bible with nothing else added.  It's like a forerunner of literal Bible videos made in modern times.

king%2Bof%2Bkings.JPG

Bit of trivia, Jesus is played by  H. B. Warner.  He is Mr Gower in "It's A Wonderful Life" (1947)

17943.gif

Hmmmm...ya know Ham, this has got me thinkin' here...

If like George Bailey for a short while, Pontius Pilate was never born, would there ever have been an Easter at all??? ;)

For an alternative show for those who might like to see Christianity in action in real life, as opposed to the Hollywood version, at 9:00 PM EDT on Sunday there's the second part of a terrific four part documentary on the Mexican border that's showing on the Al-Jazeera America network.  The title is Borderland, the episodes run an hour each, and it features a politically diverse of six Americans who follow the trail of three different illegal immigrants, from their hometowns in Mexico to their final destination in a morgue in Arizona.  The Americans get paired off into three teams of two each, with a pro-immigration person and an anti-immigration counterpart in each group, and so far it's made for an eye-opening viewing experience.  Much more depth to it than anything I've yet to see on any other network.

And yet another interesting alternative might be Canadian director Denys Arcand's 1989 film, "Jesus of Montreal", which allegorically updates the Passion Play to modern times.

We have a tradition of watching "Ben-Hur", but since it is being shown at Cinemark's theaters next month, I want to save it for then. I haven't seen it in a theater since 1959 and I'm psyched. So this year I'll be going with the silent version of Ben.

Roverrocks, I'm a Lang fan, and I think Spione is one of his best. Don't miss it.

Dargo, I quite agree with you about Jesus of Montreal. Excellent film.

I'm gonna watch CALL THE MIDWIFE and MR. SELFRIDGE on PBS and then want to watch the silent SPIONE (1928) which I have never seen before.  I have seen all the listed classic Easter religious epics too many times to want to view them again.  Also I will be watching my Colorado Rockies play some B-Ball and clobber the Phillies earlier on Easter Sunday. 

You've got my schedule down, rover!  I love Call the Midwife, though the actual birth scenes are sometimes a bit intense. Do you recognize Judy Parfitt from Jewel and the Crown (if you know that series)? This season I'm getting to like Mr. S., which I didn't stick with last year. And Spione is a rarity to look forward to! (I won't be watching the Rockies, though).

I'm kinda partial to The Ten Commandments which will be aired on ABC Saturday, April 19. The special effects in this film have always interested me. From a historical point of view, I've always been interested more in The Old Testament than the New.

I'm kinda partial to The Ten Commandments which will be aired on ABC Saturday, April 19. The special effects in this film have always interested me. From a historical point of view, I've always been interested more in The Old Testament than the New.

Anyone watched "The Bible" series on H2. LOL on the Satan character.  :lol:

Anyone watched "The Bible" series on H2. LOL on the Satan character.  :lol:

No H2 in my house. I wouldn't watch it anyway. The subject matter doesn't bother me, obviously, but modern "Hollywood" interpretations do. Long live Cecil B. Demille ! 

:)

You've got my schedule down, rover!  I love Call the Midwife, though the actual birth scenes are sometimes a bit intense. Do you recognize Judy Parfitt from Jewel and the Crown (if you know that series)? This season I'm getting to like Mr. S., which I didn't stick with last year. And Spione is a rarity to look forward to! (I won't be watching the Rockies, though).

No I hadn't recognized Judy Parfitt from the great series Jewel in the Crown!!  I will pay more attention. Call the Midwife is a terrific series both my wife and myself enjoy tho like you say some of the birthing scenes are very intense.  I love Sunday nights on PBS.

No I hadn't recognized Judy Parfitt from the great series Jewel in the Crown!!  I will pay more attention. Call the Midwife is a terrific series both my wife and myself enjoy tho like you say some of the birthing scenes are very intense.  I love Sunday nights on PBS.

Well, Ms. Parfitt wasn't wearing a wimple in "Jewel in the Crown." She played Mildred Layton, mother of Sarah and Susan, and one of the bitchiest characters ever to grace Masterpiece Theater!

parfittmildredlayton1.jpg?w=500

Well, Ms. Parfitt wasn't wearing a wimple in "Jewel in the Crown." She played Mildred Layton, mother of Sarah and Susan, and one of the bitchiest characters ever to grace Masterpiece Theater!

parfittmildredlayton1.jpg?w=500

Hmmmm...is it only ME, or does Judy here have a little "Jared Leto in the Dallas Buyers Club" thing goin' on here????  :wacko:

:D

Hmmmm...is it only ME, or does Judy here have a little "Jared Leto in the Dallas Buyers Club" thing goin' on here????  :wacko:

:D

Right now the TBN channel is showing "The Robe" (1953) but its in Pan and scan, not Letterbox.  One would think all channels that show movies would know about Letterbox by now.  

Seeing this in 4:3?  Not for me.   :(

1328465298-vlcsnap-00001.jpg

.. One would think all channels that show movies would know about Letterbox by now.  

Seeing this in 4:3?  Not for me.   :(

My cable service has recently begun to broadcast full-screen 4:3 in what appears to be a 16:9 letterbox format on some channels - not all yet. I don't know what to make of it. Prior to this, some full-screen presentations seemed to be 16:9 broadcast as 4:3, sending text and other stuff off the edges, cutting off material on the left and right edges (not pan and scan) - so this may be their solution to that problem. I can't tell yet as the problem is mostly apparent on PBS channels and they haven't gotten 'round to this new (faux?) letterboxing of those yet.

It's not a real letterbox, just cropped a little top and bottom - halfway between full-screen and true letterbox.