Sign in to follow this  
swimminginaqua

How the military hid WWII defense plants...

4 posts in this topic

I recently came across this...I hadn't heard of it before and found it interesting.  The use of huge tarps of camouflage "buildings, streets, trees" to cover the Burbank Aircraft Plant & other defense factories...the military & movie scenic painters, prop masters all hiding the real thing underneath so enemy aircraft would be deceived:

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2010/12/how-military-hid-lockheed-burbank.html 

I know they had done similar things in England to hide the aircraft factories and used inflatible planes & tanks to fool the Germans, but didn't know about them doing that here.

edit:  well, nevermind about that link as it won't connect...this is beginning to become a bother. :)

• Like 1

I recently came across this...I hadn't heard of it before and found it interesting.  The use of huge tarps of camouflage "buildings, streets, trees" to cover the Burbank Aircraft Plant & other defense factories...the military & movie scenic painters, prop masters all hiding the real thing underneath so enemy aircraft would be deceived:

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2010/12/how-military-hid-lockheed-burbank.html 

I know they had done similar things in England to hide the aircraft factories and used inflatible planes & tanks to fool the Germans, but didn't know about them doing that here.

edit:  well, nevermind about that link as it won't connect...this is beginning to become a bother. :)

The WW2 camo was truly amazing.

post-39625-0-97726100-1397836284_thumb.jpg

post-39625-0-97726100-1397836284_thumb.jpg

Before The History and Discovery Channels turned to the Dark Side, there was quite a bit of interesting programming along these lines. Actually, there was so much of it I couldn't take it anymore and refused to watch them for a couple of years.

There were several shows on camouflage which detailed your descriptions. Newer shows got into current camo techniques using the natural tendency of white light(s) to effectively blot out something that was right in front of you. Much as the sun does when you look upward on a bright day.

The camo of airplane factories and the like was very interesting. Especially finding out there were actually enemy aircraft flying over much of the United States along with enemy ships practically sunbathing on our beaches.

The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming!