JakeHolman

SPORTS

2,327 posts in this topic

Gotta say here Jake that knowing how we do of your total and undeniable love of all things "Dixie", I'm a bit surprised after seeing these pictures you posted, that you decided to post your thread under the general title of "Sports" and NOT "Damn Yankees"?!!!!

;)

(...jus' kiddin' ya here...it's a great idea for a thread, you good ol' boy, you!)

Gotta say here Jake that knowing how we do of your total and undeniable love of all things "Dixie", I'm a bit surprised after seeing these pictures you posted, that you decided to post your thread under the general title of "Sports" and NOT "Damn Yankees"?!!!!

;)

(...jus' kiddin' ya here...it's a great idea for a thread, you good ol' boy, you!)

I've been a Yankee fan since my boyhood starting in Columbia, SC. Mickey Mantle was my hero. Still is.

As a side note: New York City was intricately involved in King Cotton with the cotton exchange

and exporting of cotton. New York Mayor Fernando Wood proposed New York City should secede

as a free city and support the Confederacy. New York City had many Confederate sympathizers.

PS: The Dodgers have a rich baseball history, too.

PS: The Dodgers have a rich baseball history, too.

Yep...well, they DID until the Fox Entertainment Group and THEN those bickering McCourts took control of 'em, anyway!

(...you're talkin' to an old Dodger Fan here, dude...remember, I was an Angeleno for 57 years)

But NOW that Magic Johnson and his group has 'em, it looks like they MIGHT have a chance to regain their stature as a perennial contender once again.

That looks like Yankee Stadium before the more recent rebuild (or was it another remodel). I was a "Yankee-hater" back in the days of the Mick (but who could hate Mickey himself, not me). I grew up on the West Coast where there was no major league baseball and still remember the grand old original Yankee Stadium from Game-of-the-Week television, I can still name the playing field dimensions, that cheapie homer fly ball of 296 feet down the right field line and the near impossible 461 footer to dead center. And that famous 402 foot sign to left center... So how wierd to have that rich feeling when walking into Yankee Stadium for the first time in 1985 with all those blue seats. Wonderful, and how ironic that I would actually become a Yankee fan while I lived in New York, from '84-'86. The Yanks fought hard but barely missed the playoffs in '85. During the last home stand, I was there at the stadium hoping beyond hope that Phil Niekro would get his 300th win against Toronto (the team they lost out to) but was turned away in a close game. My girlfriend and I on that long #4 train ride back to South Ferry, we were devastated, looking glumly ahead unable to talk. That loss also all but sunk their chances for the playoffs. (Niekro did get #300 on the last day of the season against those same Blue Jays, but that didn't help the Yankees, they were out of it by then.} Mattingly, Winfield, Willie Randolph (great eye at the plate), Pagliaruglio (sp?) (not a great hitter but boy did he come through a couple of times), Eddie Meacham (couldn't hit a homer but piled up the RBIs), others I don't remember. I was really attached to the team. The Yanks whupped my beloved Milwaukee Braves in '58 but couldn't get it done in '85, I remember thinking that at the time, 58-85.

Great pictue of the bench. Yogi, Cary, Mickey, Doris, Roger, and ... whose the guy on the end? Don't recognize him.

When I left he Big Apple, my history as a Yankee fan came to end. Yes, the Mick, quintessential Yankee hero, one among many though...but as a Yankee hater, none struck fear more in my heart than the menacing aspect at the plate than Bill Skowron. Honestly, it must have been hell leaning in and looking at the plate with that guy looking back at you. He sure killed me in '58. (ok, it couldn't have been any fun pitching to Mickey either :).

@Laffite,

It's the old Yankee stadium with the renovations. Don't  know who that guy at the

end could be, either. Maybe a trainer or something of that nature. His socks don't

match the rest of the players.

Shame Don Mattingly never made it to the World Series and looks as though he 

will not make it to the Hall of Fame, too. Stats not good enough?

Good post on your part.

By GUM, Dargo!  ya DID IT!!!

Got Jake to respond with actual WORDS, NOT just more PICTURES! :o

Sepiatone

Yep Sepia, it appears I did! BUT, ya wanna know what would have impressed me(and I'l bet maybe you) even MORE? Well, it would've been if at first our resident "Man of Few Words" here(no not finance, JAKE here!) before he regaled us with his personal history of N.Y. Yankee fandom(and of course that little history of Confederacy sympathizers within the confined of The Big Apple back in the day) , IF the usually somewhat dour Mr. Jake might've started his reply to me with one of those little "winking" smileys as maybe a self-realizing little nod my way for my clever little use of that classic "Southern Fried Rabbit" Bugs Bunny cartoon!

And HELL, I probably would've have been near ECSTATIC(not to mention pleasantly surprised) if he would've given me one of those little "LOL" smileys!!!

(...'cause ya know, I LIVE to make people smile and laugh...well, THAT and to show 'em how clever I am of course!!!)   ;)  :D

The opening picture with the Yankees, Doris Day, and Cary Grant looks photo-shopped.  Doris Day at 5'7" looks way too big with Maris and Mantle (both 6' 0") and Grant at 6' 2" looks way too small.  Yogi was only 5" 7" and looks so much taller/larger than Grant.  Is it a real picture??

The opening picture with the Yankees, Doris Day, and Cary Grant looks photo-shopped.  Doris Day at 5'7" looks way too big with Maris and Mantle (both 6' 0") and Grant at 6' 2" looks way too small.  Yogi was only 5" 7" and looks so much taller/larger than Grant.  Is it a real picture??

Well they are sitting down and Grant is leaning back while Yogi is sitting right at the edge.  That would make Yogi look taller than he was.    Looks like a real picture taken when the two actors were making A Touch of Mink in 1961 \ 62.

And with Cary saying between his teeth...

4649706749_15ba51bfaa.jpg

"Once Doris shuts her yap over there Yogi, I'd like to hear more about that 'fork in the road' concept of yours."

Well they are sitting down and Grant is leaning back while Yogi is sitting right at the edge.  That would make Yogi look taller than he was.    Looks like a real picture taken when the two actors were making A Touch of Mink in 1961 \ 62.

Bingo.

"The Splendid Splinter" always reminded me of Robert Ryan, Jake.

(...though I'm pretty sure Ryan died way before all this here cryogenics stuff came about!)  ;)

"The Splendid Splinter" always reminded me of Robert Ryan, Jake.

(...though I'm pretty sure Ryan died way before all this here cryogenics stuff came about!)   ;)

Exactly. I fact, I think, I've equated Ryan and Williams on these boards.

Did any of you see the ESPN 30-30 special on the Detroit PIstons' "Bad Boys" teams of the late '80s-early '90s? Very well-done. Don't miss it when it is re-run.

Yes, I saw it and it was well done.    My hate for that team is what really made me a basketball fan again.  

The Lakers would have beat those bad boys if it wasn't for injury (ok,  that is a homer comment but I just had to say it!).

Yes, I saw it and it was well done.    My hate for that team is what really made me a basketball fan again.  

The Lakers would have beat those bad boys if it wasn't for injury (ok,  that is a homer comment but I just had to say it!).

The Pistons actually lost to the Lakers in '88 because of Isiah Thomas' injured ankle in Game 6.

The Pistons actually lost to the Lakers in '88 because of Isiah Thomas' injured ankle in Game 6.

Wasn't it the next year where the Lakers lost both Magic and Scott, their backcourt by game 5 or so?

Injuries clearly impacted both teams in their contest.   For fans of both teams it would of been great if the two teams faced each other without injuries to key players like the Lakers and Celtics did.

And, speaking of Kevin McHale... The impetus for the Breakaway Flagrant Foul Rule...

BIE2w2dCcAAuYcr.jpg

(...I remember that series like it was yesterday...and especially this play...and luckily, "Superman" wasn't hurt)

Anyone remember the Cheers episode where they get Kevin McHale obsessing about counting the number of bolts on the parquet floor? I've been a Celtics fan since the last years of the Russell era. The greatest team in the history of pro sports (8 consecutive titles) and the greatest player in NBA history (Bill Russell, 11 championships in 13 years. 13 out of 15 if you count college)

Anyone remember the Cheers episode where they get Kevin McHale obsessing about counting the number of bolts on the parquet floor? I've been a Celtics fan since the last years of the Russell era. The greatest team in the history of pro sports (8 consecutive titles) and the greatest player in NBA history (Bill Russell, 11 championships in 13 years. 13 out of 15 if you count college)

That was a favorite of mine at the time. I miss that show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0539926/

Yes,  Russell is the greatest player based on championships but I still say Kareem Jabbar is the best all around player the game has ever seen,  followed by the two MJs (Jordan and Magic).

You certainly have the statistics to back it up for basketball. Not professional, but in my book, almost impressive is John Wooten's UCLA Bruins 7 consecutive NCAA Championships with 10 in 12 years.