JakeHolman

SPORTS

2,327 posts in this topic

Anyone remember the Cheers episode where they get Kevin McHale obsessing about counting the number of bolts on the parquet floor? I've been a Celtics fan since the last years of the Russell era. The greatest team in the history of pro sports (8 consecutive titles) and the greatest player in NBA history (Bill Russell, 11 championships in 13 years. 13 out of 15 if you count college)

In 5 out 0f 8 first-round NBA playoff series that began this weekend, the road team won the first game. First time there have been that many.

I'm not a golfer but I sure am a Sands Hills fan and wanderer.  Any golfers here want an interesting place to play?  Go here and enjoy the solitude and quiet.

@RoverRocks

Thanks for a very enjoyable clip of golf. I walk and carry my clubs when allowed and

would love to play this course.

Again, thank you.

Golf2.jpg

Golf1.jpg

Above, two famous holes on a famous course where a famous tournament is held every year. #12 (above) and #13 (top photo) at Augusta, GA. My favorite tournament. I don't play but I enjoy watching the tour, especially the Majors, and my fave, the Masters. I like to stream in HD and take a few caps. This was from 2013, as you can see a little rain. Fascinating course, with those hilly, lightning-fast greens. I love golf courses, so beautiful.

Golf2.jpg

Golf1.jpg

Above, two famous holes on a famous course where a famous tournament is held every year. #12 (above) and #13 (top photo) at Augusta, GA. My favorite tournament. I don't play but I enjoy watching the tour, especially the Majors, and my fave, the Masters. I like to stream in HD and take a few caps. This was from 2013, as you can see a little rain. Fascinating course, with those hilly, lightning-fast greens. I love golf courses, so beautiful.

So why are all the British courses, especially the Scottish ones, so ugly?

Just a guess here finance, but maybe for the same reason that Hitchcock's early English films look more "stark and spare" than do his later American films, which I believe look a little too "glitzy" sometimes.

(...give me the original "The Man Who Knew Too Much" over the Technicolor re-make, any day of the week)

Links courses, like so many over there, by definition have a rough and ready look. There is visual appeal for those as well, though they certainly don't have the gloss that we see over here. They obviously don't spend the money on golf courses like we do. The European Tour is probably a lot less flush than the PGA as well, that should have something to do with it (but maybe not, dunno) Good point, though, there is a vast difference. I nevertheless enjoy watching the European Tour from time to time. I never look forward to the British Open being played at St Andrews though, ugh!

My only experience with golf is from being a caddy long ago.  It was at a local course where all the golfers started the day at the "19th hole".

Sepiatone

My only experience with golf is from being a caddy long ago.  It was at a local course where all the golfers started the day at the "19th hole".

Sepiatone

Ha, they don't need a caddie, they need a German Shepherd bearing spirits.

9231598821_a6a2b987e1_z.jpg2826687644_097aa870f1_z.jpg

Royal Troon Golf Course

I'm going to disagree about the beauty of Great Britain's golf courses. They are links courses

like the Pebble Beach photo I put up. Near the ocean with strong winds and rain with a natural

beauty only they can present.

Edited by JakeHolman

How about one of my favorite ball players of all time.  George Brett (Mr. Pine Tar) from the KC Royals!!!  A nemesis of the Yankees!!  A heartlands favorite player for many years.  Once "attacked" by The Kissing Bandit!!

post-39625-0-32092800-1398435454_thumb.jpeg

post-39625-0-49948400-1398435471_thumb.jpg

post-39625-0-12027200-1398435506_thumb.jpg

post-39625-0-27945500-1398435676_thumb.jpg

post-39625-0-32092800-1398435454_thumb.jpeg

post-39625-0-49948400-1398435471_thumb.jpg

post-39625-0-12027200-1398435506_thumb.jpg

post-39625-0-27945500-1398435676_thumb.jpg

Between this thread, my hometown team, The Portland Trail Blazers, in the middle of playoffs and all the hype surrounding the beginning of baseball season, it makes me anxious for my sport to finally start.  I can't wait until August when the NFL preseason starts.  Football season is one of the best parts of the year for me, and is one of the few things that makes winter tolerable.  Beginning in September, when the official season starts, I can re-up my RedZone subscription and start watching: "Seven hours of commercial free football" on Sundays again.  Monday nights, Thursday nights and Sundays are football time! Plus, I also get to form and manage my fantasy football team again.  Can't wait!  

Between this thread, my hometown team, The Portland Trail Blazers, in the middle of playoffs and all the hype surrounding the beginning of baseball season, it makes me anxious for my sport to finally start.  I can't wait until August when the NFL preseason starts.  Football season is one of the best parts of the year for me, and is one of the few things that makes winter tolerable.  Beginning in September, when the official season starts, I can re-up my RedZone subscription and start watching: "Seven hours of commercial free football" on Sundays again.  Monday nights, Thursday nights and Sundays are football time! Plus, I also get to form and manage my fantasy football team again.  Can't wait!  

"Your" sport? Portland doesn't even have a team.

How about one of my favorite ball players of all time.  George Brett (Mr. Pine Tar) from the KC Royals!!!  A nemesis of the Yankees!!  A heartlands favorite player for many years.  Once "attacked" by The Kissing Bandit!!

I've never seen a athlete more p i s s e d off than Brett after the pine tar incident.

I've never seen a atlete more p i s s e d off than Brett after the pine tar incident.

You got that right.  I was watching the game live and he went nuts as I think he was entitled to since the "theft" of his HR was infamous at least to me as a rabid Royals fan.  Brett wanted his pound of flesh.

"Your" sport? Portland doesn't even have a team.

I am well aware that Portland doesn't have a football team.  I meant "my sport" as in the sport that I enjoy watching the most and the one I look forward to each year.  Just because my town doesn't have a team, I can't enjoy watching it?

I am well aware that Portland doesn't have a football team.  I meant "my sport" as in the sport that I enjoy watching the most and the one I look forward to each year.  Just because my town doesn't have a team, I can't enjoy watching it?

I assume you must be a Seahawks fan. Wasn't there a Portland Storm in the USFL?......... The Blazers beat my Sixers for the NBA championship in 1977, in, what was for me, one of the most memorable matchups. (Dr. Jack Ramsey, the Blazers coach with Philly connections, just died.)