JakeHolman

SPORTS

2,327 posts in this topic

I assume you must be a Seahawks fan. Wasn't there a Portland Storm in the USFL?......... The Blazers beat my Sixers for the NBA championship in 1977, in, what was for me, one of the most memorable matchups. (Dr. Jack Ramsey, the Blazers coach with Philly connections, just died.)

Aaah...the Maurice Lucas vs Darryl Dawkins fight...I remember it like it was yesterday, and how it seemed the turning point of those Finals.

(...and with Lucas basically telling the Sixers, "We're NOT gonna be pushed around anymore here!")

I assume you must be a Seahawks fan. Wasn't there a Portland Storm in the USFL?......... The Blazers beat my Sixers for the NBA championship in 1977, in, what was for me, one of the most memorable matchups. (Dr. Jack Ramsey, the Blazers coach with Philly connections, just died.)

I would never root for the Seahawks ever.  I'm probably in the minority in the state as I am not a die hard Seahawks fan.  I root for the Vikings (who have been terrible for years, haha), Eagles (who stole my Oregon Ducks' coach) and Broncos.  I always root for the Lions too because they've been terrible forever and I always want to see them at least get into the playoffs. 

I am not a diehard fan of any team specifically.  There are just a few teams I loathe and will not root for ever: Seahawks, Cowboys, Packers, Patriots and Jets.  If any of these teams are playing each other, I'll root for the lesser of the two evils. 

I think Portland had the Portland Storm in the mid-70s sometime.  At some point, I think the Portland Storm changed its name to the Portland Thunder.  I don't believe either team lasted too long.  This was before my time, so I don't have actual memories of this; I'm basing this on what I know and have heard.  This year, Portland got their first Arena Football Team: The Portland Thunder.  I believe their season started in February? Or maybe they started practices in February?

What is the significance of this photo? I don't see George Mikan.

Significance? I guess that's your problem. George Mikan is the last one on the far right. 

Secretariat wins the Kentucky Derby 1973.

As a side note: Sham was a great horse, too. He just had the

misfortune to run the Kentucky Derby and the remaining Triple

Crown races when Secretariat did.

2746534621_0d14bb05d3.jpg

Affirmed

6722827675_ca44a90a8e.jpg

Seattle Slew

12983914104_9c4479990c.jpg

Secretariat

The last three horses to win America's coveted Triple Crown.

Significance? I guess that's your problem. George Mikan is the last one on the far right. 

I can't see the glasses in the photo. That's the only thing about Mikan that's recognizable. Sort of like Clark Kent.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140502/kentucky-derby-picks/

My pick: California Chrome. I'm falling in line with most of the experts picking him

as the favorite. He has the speed and class, but anything can happen in a field of

20 horses resulting in a longshot in the winners circle. It's happened before.

14100198665_65df0034f5_z.jpg

The sport of kings produced a very impressive winner today at the Kentucky Derby. The jockey

Victor Espinoza broke well from a tough number five pole position with Chrome and turned the

first turn with him in great position at number three in the pack.

Chrome showed his meddle at the top of the final turn when he made his move and put on the

jets and charged down the stretch for a dominant and impressive win.

Next is the Preakness. If he wins there, I think he will, we will have a legitimate horse who can

win the Triple Crown with a Seabiscuit like story.

I hope so. It's been a long time and it would be great for the sport and country.

YES!!  YES!!  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!  The Colorado Rockies just beat the NY Mets 10-9 on a walk off HR over the dead center field wall in the bottom of the 9th!!!!!!!!!  Charlie Culberson is the pinch hitting HERO!!  Take that New York City!!!!!!!!!!!!!  A Rocky Mountain High tonight!!!  YES!

!http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CE0QqQIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nj.com%2Fmets%2Findex.ssf%2F2014%2F05%2Fmets_rockies_mejia.html&ei=2r5lU5nBNoSsyASd-IDIDw&usg=AFQjCNG0TJDWa6_zI3_p0ZsRC-OOlkFiDw&sig2=RJY6Vq6bBeUfZpHF3LhFUA&bvm=bv.65788261,d.aWw&cad=rja!

14100198665_65df0034f5_z.jpg

The sport of kings produced a very impressive winner today at the Kentucky Derby. The jockey

Victor Espinoza broke well from a tough number five pole position with Chrome and turned the

first turn with him in great position at number three in the pack.

Chrome showed his meddle at the top of the final turn when he made his move and put on the

jets and charged down the stretch for a dominant and impressive win.

Next is the Preakness. If he wins there, I think he will, we will have a legitimate horse who can

win the Triple Crown with a Seabiscuit like story.

I hope so. It's been a long time and it would be great for the sport and country.

They were saying the same thing about the Philly horse Smarty Jones a few years ago.

Troy Tulowitzki (Tulo) was the National League Player of the Month for April this spring.  Tulo through May 6th is hitting .421 with 9 HR and 30 RBI and a Slugging Percentage of .794.  He has hit an astounding .591 for the last 7 days!!!  GO ROCKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-39625-0-56059800-1399493339_thumb.jpg

post-39625-0-56059800-1399493339_thumb.jpg

Troy Tulowitzki (Tulo) was the National League Player of the Month for April this spring.  Tulo through May 6th is hitting .421 with 9 HR and 30 RBI and a Slugging Percentage of .794.  He has hit an astounding .591 for the last 7 days!!!  GO ROCKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any hitting stats for the Rockies STILL have to be taken with a grain of salt because of the thin air. I know that they've tried to deaden the baseballs to compensate, but that hasn't fully worked.

1952Lakers.jpg

I can't see the glasses in the photo. That's the only thing about Mikan that's recognizable. Sort of like Clark Kent.

If you borrow Clark Kent's glasses, you can see all the names written on the elastic belts of the pants.  You've got Slater Martin, Joe Hutton, Pep Saul, Bob Harrison, Jim Pollard, Howie Schultz, Vern Mikkelsen, Lew Hitch, and The Big Fella, George Mikan.   This was  the third of five Minneapolis Lakers teams in six years to win the NBA title before moving to Los "Angle-ess" (as Bogart would have said) for the 1960-61 season.  Only the 1950-51 Rochester Royals (now the Sacramento Kings) managed to interrupt that streak, but once Mikan retired after the 1953-54 season the team began to flounder, and not even the great Elgin Baylor could save the franchise.

Any hitting stats for the Rockies STILL have to be taken with a grain of salt because of the thin air. I know that they've tried to deaden the baseballs to compensate, but that hasn't fully worked.

The Rockies had 16 hits and scored 9 runs at the low altitude Texas Rangers stadium last night.  May be just maybe they might be a good hitting team.  Just saying.......................................

The Rockies had 16 hits and scored 9 runs at the low altitude Texas Rangers stadium last night.  May be just maybe they might be a good hitting team.  Just saying.......................................

Doesn't matter if'n ya ain't got a good Closer ya know, rr...especially in the postseason.

(...so how are the Rockies fixed there?)

Doesn't matter if'n ya ain't got a good Closer ya know, rr...especially in the postseason.

(...so how are the Rockies fixed there?)

Don't think the Rockies really have a good closer but so far their starting pitching has been very good for a change.  My Rockies will fold at some point in the season but while they are on a roll my wife and I will enjoy it.  Being a Rockies fan is a bit like being a Cubs fan.  Eternally hopeful and oblivious to reality. 

Jake, I wish you would identify some of these very interesting pictures you post.

1. Lou Gehrig ?

2. Hank Greenberg ?

3. Not sure. Lockman?

EDIT: Not Lockman, not Philip Alou, not McCovey

(though McCovey wore #44)

Jake, I wish you would identify some of these very interesting pictures you post.

1. Lou Gehrig ?

2. Hank Greenberg ?

3. Not sure. Lockman?

EDIT: Not Lockman, not Philip Alou, not McCovey

(though McCovey wore #44)

laffite, I believe the last picture is of Dave Concepcion of Cincinnati's "Big Red Machine", and while I know it doesn't look like him, I think the great San Francisco slugger Willie McCovey.

1952Lakers.jpg

If you borrow Clark Kent's glasses, you can see all the names written on the elastic belts of the pants.  You've got Slater Martin, Joe Hutton, Pep Saul, Bob Harrison, Jim Pollard, Howie Schultz, Vern Mikkelsen, Lew Hitch, and The Big Fella, George Mikan.   This was  the third of five Minneapolis Lakers teams in six years to win the NBA title before moving to Los "Angle-ess" (as Bogart would have said) for the 1960-61 season.  Only the 1950-51 Rochester Royals (now the Sacramento Kings) managed to interrupt that streak, but once Mikan retired after the 1953-54 season the team began to flounder, and not even the great Elgin Baylor could save the franchise.

Interestingly, Baylor never won a championship. The great championhip Lakers team of the early '70s, which set the consecutive victories record, won after Baylor retired a few games into the season.