JakeHolman

SPORTS

2,319 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, laffite said:

The W-L record doesn't mean much. Two of losses he had no support, in fact in all of them but two especially. More important generally are ERA which, as you point out, excellent. He had a WHIP of .825, which is excellent. He had 61 K in 57 IP. W-L are often misleading. Bob Gibson in '68 had a record 1.12 ERA but lost nine games.

James, I don't think Kershaw is in decline. Not yet. His stats for the year just passed attest to that. His disappointing postseasons cannot be overlooked because sports people love to analyze but I don't hold it against him as much as others with regard to overall worth. Sam Snead never won a US Open, does that diminish him, considering his otherwise fantastic career? I think it absurd to trade Kershaw, he is still the best they got. I wouldn't do without him for a long season. If I thought he was so bad in the postseason I have the option to not use him but that would be equally absurd. I don't think you trade a guy like that.

My guess is that Kershaw back issues are having more of an impact then he wishes to believe or accept.

Kershaw is going to leave the Dodgers anyhow if he doesn't get the money he expects.  If the Dodgers already know they are not willing to meet his salary demands they might as well trade him to get something in return and get an ace from free agency.   

21 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

My guess is that Kershaw back issues are having more of an impact then he wishes to believe or accept.

Kershaw is going to leave the Dodgers anyhow if he doesn't get the money he expects.  If the Dodgers already know they are not willing to meet his salary demands they might as well trade him to get something in return and get an ace from free agency.   

His current contract expires in 2021. I don't think what you say is an issue yet. And they won't let him go before that.

1 hour ago, laffite said:

His current contract expires in 2021. I don't think what you say is an issue yet. And they won't let him go before that.

I was confused since I though I heard that his contract expired after the 2019 season (2 more years).

16 hours ago, laffite said:

The W-L record doesn't mean much. Two of losses he had no support, in fact in all of them but two especially. More important generally are ERA which, as you point out, excellent. He had a WHIP of .825, which is excellent. He had 61 K in 57 IP. W-L are often misleading. Bob Gibson in '68 had a record 1.12 ERA but lost nine games.

Koufax was a better pitcher in the WS than Kershaw, but even Koufax

lost some WS games. I agree that what a player does in the post season

is not as important, as far as his overall career goes, as what he does in the

regular season. But I can certainly see where fans are disappointed that someone

like Kershaw seems to be way below his standards in the post season.  When

his contract ends he will be in his early thirties, so he could either retire or if

he feels healthy, pitch a few more years. 

I'm not in the southern California media market, so I don't

get all the details about every little aspect of Kershaw, so

maybe I look on him more favorably than if I did. 

Kershaw's problem: Basically he's able to locate his off-speed pitches low in the strike zone during his first appearance in playoff series and thus has batters off-balance, BUT for whatever reason which I can NOT figure out for the life of me, during his second appearances in a playoff series he's unable to locate his off-speed stuff for strikes and thus primarily begins to resort to his fastball(and all decent MLB batters can pretty much eventually time their swing to hit almost anybody's fastball, ya know) and thus his second outings facing the same team in a series are usually much less effective.

Anybody notice almost all his curve balls were either short and low in Game 5 or didn't break enough and stayed high and outside/inside and out of the strike zone? And of course, once the Astros batters noticed this and Kershaw's then propensity to begin to rely on his fastball, they had his number.

(...nope, I JUST can't figure out why the guy always tends to lose control of his off-speed stuff the second games in series?...you'd think he'd concentrate practicing this during days he's not pitching, wouldn't ya?!...not no, every freakin' year its the same old story...last year this same thing happened against the Cubs in the NLCS) 

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Kershaw's problem: Basically he's able to locate his off-speed pitches low in the strike zone during his first appearance in playoff series and thus has batters off-balance, BUT for whatever reason which I can NOT figure out for the life of me, during his second appearances in a playoff series he's unable to locate his off-speed stuff for strikes and thus primarily begins to resort to his fastball(and all decent MLB batters can pretty much eventually time their swing to hit almost anybody's fastball, ya know) and thus his second outings facing the same team in a series are usually much less effective.

Anybody notice almost all his curve balls were either short and low in Game 5 or didn't break enough and stayed high and outside/inside and out of the strike zone? And of course, once the Astros batters noticed this and Kershaw's then propensity to begin to rely on his fastball, they had his number.

(...nope, I JUST can't figure out why the guy always tends to lose control of his off-speed stuff the second games in series?...you'd think he'd concentrate practicing this during days he's not pitching, wouldn't ya?!...not no, every freakin' year its the same old story...last year this same thing happened against the Cubs in the NLCS) 

Good call, Dargo ... check this out:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/world-series-dodgers-astros-pitchers-weigh-in-on-slick-baseball-controversy/

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

The sports talk here in So Cal is that his back issues are the main reasons.   One guy said that he is like a pitcher in April \ early May due to all the time off he had and therefore doesn't have his best stuff.

As you guys know being 'off' just a little bit can make the difference between a strike and a home run (which he has been giving up more so than he use to).  

When it all comes down to one game, it's more or less a crap shoot anyway. The Dodgers are a worthy winner, it just didn't happen. Great season.

No One's Safe from Blame as Dodgers Blow Chance to Grab Epic World Series Title

Taking Rich Hill out after only four innings in Game 2 put a heavy burden on the club's bullpen. He also paid for asking Brandon Morrow to pitch for the third time in as many days in Game 5, as it took him only six pitches to turn an 8-7 lead into an 11-8 deficit.

And the blame on Roberts doesn't end there.

Whereas he was quick with the hook for Hill in Game 2, he was too slow with it for Yu Darvish in Game 7. Although the right-hander was clearly struggling and already in a 3-0 hole in the second inning, Roberts let him face Springer for a second time. Springer launched a two-run homer that practically put the game on ice.

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 01:  George Springer #4 of the Houston Astros hits a two-run home run during the second inning against the Los Angeles Dodgers in game seven of the 2017 World Series at Dodger Stadium on November 1, 2017 in Los Angeles, Californ

One of the worst managed WS I've watched. Yes, Dodgers Manager Roberts is on the hot seat... 

3 hours ago, JakeHolman said:

Clayton Kershaw reflects on another postseason disappointment: "Maybe one of these days I won't fail, we won't fail" http://ble.ac/2hxQGTB 

DNoi70PWkAI1faK.jpg

In the WHAT IF department, I wish that Roberts hadn't pulled Kershaw when he did in Game 5. Let him try to retire the last batter, if he had succeeded, the Dodgers would have led 7-4 after five and K would have been the pitcher of record. I blame Roberts for not staying with his best in a tight situation. Isn't that what your supposed to do? Kershaw had 95 pitches, under the usual max allowed these days. Roberts is neurotic when it comes to the bullpen. He's afraid to take a chance with his best.

13 hours ago, laffite said:

When it all comes down to one game, it's more or less a crap shoot anyway. The Dodgers are a worthy winner, it just didn't happen. Great season.

Yea,  it was a great season.     As for why we lost;  many reasons;   Darvish being way 'off' in both of his starts.   The 'kids' not being consistent (e.g. too many strike outs, not being able to advance runners on base,  going for the homer with those 'wild' swings),   use of the pitchers by Roberts,  Turner not being the Turner of the regular season,  etc...

Still the team should be proud.   The odds are high they will be back in the WS next year.     

46 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  it was a great season.     As for why we lost;  many reasons;   Darvish being way 'off' in both of his starts.   The 'kids' not being consistent (e.g. too many strike outs, not being able to advance runners on base,  going for the homer with those 'wild' swings),   use of the pitchers by Roberts,  Turner not being the Turner of the regular season,  etc...

Still the team should be proud.   The odds are high they will be back in the WS next year.     

Yes. There is always the second guessing in the sports world and it's appropriate and fun. But this manic, hysterical, blame game is withering. As I think you remember, James, I am not a Dodger fan. I was rooting for the Astros. But I don't think the Dodgers should commit group suicide because they lost. Not remembering runner-ups is standard but that does not mean that the Dodger should go into group therapy because they lost.

So right about Turner. He had a decent postseason up until the WS. But he doesn't have to hang himself until dead because of that.

When it comes down to one game, what happens is incidental, which means it's life. So easy could it have gone the other way.

2 hours ago, laffite said:

Yes. There is always the second guessing in the sports world and it's appropriate and fun. But this manic, hysterical, blame game is withering. As I think you remember, James, I am not a Dodger fan. I was rooting for the Astros. But I don't think the Dodgers should commit group suicide because they lost. Not remembering runner-ups is standard but that does not mean that the Dodger should go into group therapy because they lost.

So right about Turner. He had a decent postseason up until the WS. But he doesn't have to hang himself until dead because of that.

When it comes down to one game, what happens is incidental, which means it's life. So easy could it have gone the other way.

Well said;  One thing I like about baseball is the NL and AL pennant.   Unlike the other 3 major sports, winning the divisional pennant race IS a big deal and has been for over a century.    I don't view pennant winners as runner-ups  (even with inter-league play that some says muddies the waters).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well said;  One thing I like about baseball is the NL and AL pennant.   Unlike the other 3 major sports, winning the divisional pennant race IS a big deal and has been for over a century.    I don't view pennant winners as runner-ups  (even with inter-league play that some says muddies the waters).

I agree but I wonder if the pennant winner means less now than back before the current playoff system. I wonder if the World Series has taken on the Super Bowl effect, where losers tend to be forgotten. Decades ago a pennant winner was indeed an honored achievement prior to the playoff system. (I'm so antiquated that even after all these years I wince at the word "playoff" for baseball. It doesn't seem right for baseball.) The pennant winners of today are seen less as pennant winners and more like a team that has simply avoided elimination in a playoff system and have therefore qualified to play in the World Series. If they don't win that the pennant seems to matter less. They lost the big one and have fallen down the memory hole.
\