LonesomePolecat

VOTING THREAD for the 25th TCM Programming Challenge

98 posts in this topic

Congratulations to Sansfin for winning the latest TCM Programming Challenge, and everyone else who worked so hard!

Congratulations to Sansfin for winning the latest TCM Programming Challenge, and everyone else who worked so hard!

I thank you for your kind words. The win means so much more to me because all of the schedules were quite wonderful!

I've read all of the entries am just astonished at the tremendous work and imagination involved in these challenges.  I would love to watch all of the schedules, and hope TCM considers airing them, and inviting the programmers on air to introduce them.

Respect and admiration to all, and congratulations to SansFin!  Your theme was clever, and you have me curious about several films I'd not heard of.  

I've read all of the entries am just astonished at the tremendous work and imagination involved in these challenges.  I would love to watch all of the schedules, and hope TCM considers airing them, and inviting the programmers on air to introduce them.

The schedules from all truly are wonderful.

I do hope that you consider entering the next Challenge. All that you must do is to create a list of the movies which you would like that TCM should air and create a list of movies which complement them in style or theme. You then need only to sit down with your lists and slowly descend into madness. :)

It is truly fun even when there are times of exasperation because movies do not at all times fit together neatly into time available. 

I'm glad the next challenge is in a month. I've been dying to write another schedule. They are so fun to write I may start now. :)

I'm glad the next challenge is in a month. I've been dying to write another schedule. They are so fun to write I may start now. :)

I mean to do that often. The requirement is most often for one night only and so the remainder of the week could be prepared well in advance. It seems to me that it would be a great advantage to create a day of a schedule when a fresh idea presents itself. "Striking while the iron is hot" and all that. It would be wonderful also in that an interval between creating a schedule and presenting it would allow time for reflection or to be reminded of movies which might be more appropriate or compelling.

It is sad to say that I continually leave it until the Challenge is announced and then do a mad scramble to find the little scraps of paper on which I have written down ideas since the last Challenge. It is sad to say also that for each and every schedule that I have entered that I have wished later I had selected a different movie or a slightly different aspect of a theme. 

I have been winnowing ideas for the requirement for the next Challenge. My fiance has convinced me that one theme which I had thought to require might be outside the comfort zone of some entrants or would require extensive research. I will then use my Challenge-Setter Privilege endowment to make it an option. As it is an option and as it may require more preparation time than is usual for themes then I feel it is appropriate to announce it here:

An option for TCM Programming Challenge #26 will be to have in one evening at least four movies from a country which has little representation on TCM. These four movies will carry "C-SP Exempt" status and so not count against the limit of premieres. These movies must be feature-length movies from any one country except: U.S.A., Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, Japan, France or Sweden. The movies must also not have been made by directors whose main body of work was in any of those countries. 

I hope that this tidbit might tease some into thinking about their schedules. :)

The schedules from all truly are wonderful.

I do hope that you consider entering the next Challenge. All that you must do is to create a list of the movies which you would like that TCM should air and create a list of movies which complement them in style or theme. You then need only to sit down with your lists and slowly descend into madness. :)

It is truly fun even when there are times of exasperation because movies do not at all times fit together neatly into time available. 

It's the madness bit that gives me trepidation!  I think it's probably best I watch several more before plunging in.  As I learned over in the Trivia contests, I'm not quite ready to play in the Major League!

I try to keep in mind at all times the sage wisdom of W.C. Fields: "“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with b.s..”

That's a good one!  LOL  I did not know that was a W. C. Fields quote. I actually thought this guy I used to work with made it up himself because he would say it so often! Too funny! 

An option for TCM Programming Challenge #26 will be to have in one evening at least four movies from a country which has little representation on TCM. These four movies will carry "C-SP Exempt" status and so not count against the limit of premieres. These movies must be feature-length movies from any one country except: U.S.A., Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, Japan, France or Sweden. The movies must also not have been made by directors whose main body of work was in any of those countries. 

I hope that this tidbit might tease some into thinking about their schedules. :)

Love it! And I already thought of a bunch! Ka-ching!

Question--do they all have to be from the same country?

It's the madness bit that gives me trepidation!  I think it's probably best I watch several more before plunging in.  As I learned over in the Trivia contests, I'm not quite ready to play in the Major League!

I earnestly feel that sanity is overrated! 

I believe it must be observed that one must be at least a little crazy to be a member of this forum. Normal people are simply not allowed here.

The next Challenge will be starting on June 1, 2014. I do hope that you follow the thread. You are very welcome to ask questions at any point even if you are not planning to enter. We do like to share our madness. :)

Love it! And I already thought of a bunch! Ka-ching!

Question--do they all have to be from the same country?

It makes me very happy that you are receptive to the idea. I did come to fear that many might feel it was outside of their comfort zone.

I feel that they should all be from the same country. I should like it to be a prod to the TCM Programmers to make them aware of the variety available from that country rather than a smorgasbord from a variety of countries which they might mentally file under a generalized: "foreign films" heading.  

I will exercise latitude with regard to: "one country" because of changing borders and various other situations. This is in particular true of Eastern Europe and Africa. There are cities which have been in several countries in a short span of time and it would be unfair to disqualify movies made in such a city because a different flag was flying when each movie was made.

My fiance and I have a bet on how many Bollywood movies will appear in schedules. :)

It'll be tough for me just picking one country but I think it's a great idea. It only brings me out of my comfort zone in that I usually avoid any films from the 1990s and that's the decade all my foreign films are from :)

I mean to do that often. The requirement is most often for one night only and so the remainder of the week could be prepared well in advance. It seems to me that it would be a great advantage to create a day of a schedule when a fresh idea presents itself. "Striking while the iron is hot" and all that. It would be wonderful also in that an interval between creating a schedule and presenting it would allow time for reflection or to be reminded of movies which might be more appropriate or compelling.

It is sad to say that I continually leave it until the Challenge is announced and then do a mad scramble to find the little scraps of paper on which I have written down ideas since the last Challenge. It is sad to say also that for each and every schedule that I have entered that I have wished later I had selected a different movie or a slightly different aspect of a theme. 

I have been winnowing ideas for the requirement for the next Challenge. My fiance has convinced me that one theme which I had thought to require might be outside the comfort zone of some entrants or would require extensive research. I will then use my Challenge-Setter Privilege endowment to make it an option. As it is an option and as it may require more preparation time than is usual for themes then I feel it is appropriate to announce it here:

This sounds difficult.  I'm not a big foreign film fan.  Hopefully I can figure out something. 

These movies must be feature-length movies from any one country except: U.S.A., Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, Japan, France or Sweden. The movies must also not have been made by directors whose main body of work was in any of those countries.

Love your template, Sans Fin, but just to be 100% certain I understand you, you're saying that (for instance) a Hungarian director must not have produced his main body of work in Hollywood, Canada, Mexico, GB, Japan, France or Sweden. 

IOW you're not looking for expats, but directors whose main body of work is in their own country.  Is this correct?  I hope so, because you didn't exclude the country (Germany) whose silent films of the 20's may encompass the greatest bloc of 5-star films of any one decade in any one country, the U.S. included.  The only question is how many of these largely unscreened gems still exist.

I'm sorry that Mexico might be excluded. TCM suffers from a great Mexican horror film gap!

brainiac.jpg

It'll be tough for me just picking one country but I think it's a great idea. It only brings me out of my comfort zone in that I usually avoid any films from the 1990s and that's the decade all my foreign films are from 

I hope that by that you do not mean your favorite foreign movies were made in the Czech Republic which did not exist prior to 1993. :)

I hope I am not too strident, but I have decided that the cultural tribute on my schedule will involve the films of Poland.

Movies have indeed captured Poland's rich and varied culture. I found: Ashes and Diamonds (1958) particularly moving.  I look forward to seeing your selections.

This sounds difficult.  I'm not a big foreign film fan.  Hopefully I can figure out something. 

I hope that you will understand that this is an option.

This will not be the required theme in the Challenge. You may create such an evening if you wish but you need not do so. 

I present it as an option because some may wish to have such a theme in their schedule but they can not justify using four of the permissible premieres on one theme. To have the premieres for this theme exempt from the limit on premieres allows entrants to explore the theme with no penalty.

I look forward to seeing your entry. I am sure it will be superb whether or not you use this optional theme.

I hope that by that you do not mean your favorite foreign movies were made in the Czech Republic which did not exist prior to 1993. :)

Or half the African countries, right? :) No, actually it means I grew up watching foreign language films so all the ones I know came out during my childhood in the 1990s. Yes, my parents are awesome. But I have two countries to choose from in terms of favorites and it'll be hard to narrow it down to one, but at least I have a month to figure it out.

you're saying that (for instance) a Hungarian director must not have produced his main body of work in Hollywood, Canada, Mexico, GB, Japan, France or Sweden. 

IOW you're not looking for expats, but directors whose main body of work is in their own country.  Is this correct?  I hope so, because you didn't exclude the country (Germany) whose silent films of the 20's may encompass the greatest bloc of 5-star films of any one decade in any one country, the U.S. included.  The only question is how many of these largely unscreened gems still exist.

My intention is that the movies should be of that country. I do not wish to see movies such as: Quo Vadis (1951) and  Roman Holiday (1953) presented as Italian movies. They are very good movies but they are in my opinion Hollywood movies even although they were filmed in Italy and Italian companies and Italian people participated in their production. 

The only way of which I know to make such distinction sans forcing entrants to petition individually for permission to use their selections is to place a terse restriction on directors. 

I did not wish to make the restriction that the director be of the country in which the movie was made because I know of many situations in which a director had to step across a border to make their movies because of restrictions within their homeland. A relocation of a few miles meant little as regards the culture of the area but it often meant great differences in artistic freedom and funding.

I will be very happy to read of a different method which produces the desired result while not requiring long paragraphs of precise legalese. I will appreciate any help in this regard that any might provide. Help is of particular importance at the moment because my fiance most usually helps me with my English but he is of present of the: "you got yourself into this" attitude and is trying to force me to learn to rely on my own resources.

The movies of expatriates before they became expatriated are acceptable because those movies are of their country. 

I should not worry greatly if a movie selected for the night is currently missing from in rental catalogues. Prints of lost movies are found each year. I should hate to see an inferior movie substituted for a wonderful movie solely for reason of easy availability. I feel that an important aspect of these Challenges is to present high concepts. That movies often appear in preliminary TCM schedules and substitutions are made before airing demonstrates clearly how very complicated is the nuts-and-bolts of acquisition. 

I hope that you will understand that this is an option.

This will not be the required theme in the Challenge. You may create such an evening if you wish but you need not do so. 

I present it as an option because some may wish to have such a theme in their schedule but they can not justify using four of the permissible premieres on one theme. To have the premieres for this theme exempt from the limit on premieres allows entrants to explore the theme with no penalty.

I look forward to seeing your entry. I am sure it will be superb whether or not you use this optional theme.

Well that's good to know.  I may take the challenge on as I don't want my schedule to seem inferior because I didn't rise to the challenge like many of my potential competitors seem to be doing.  I'm going to wait until June 1 when the challenge requirements are posted before working on anything.  Like in school when you have to work on an essay, I'm better at just writing the whole paper through than dinking around with an outline or anything like that, so for this challenge, I'd like to know what theme, requirements, etc. I need to implement.   

I understand that the foreign film theme is an option.  I had a question, if I pick a country like Italy for example, which is not listed in your list of excluded countries, can we pick films that feature actors who experienced mainstream success in American cinema?  I do not mean choosing "Houseboat" (for example) because it features Sophia Loren; but choosing Italian films starring Sophia Loren. 

Question: for my Polish film theme, will The Double Life of Veronique count? It was a French/Polish co-production yet it was the Polish entry to the Oscars in 1991.

Why does it not surprise me that you find esoteric complications? :)

The Double Life of Veronique (1991) is difficult to categorize because the juxtaposition of disparate cultures and settings is essential to the soul of the movie.

As High-and-All-Powerful Challenge Setter I will deem it acceptable under the guise that the director is Polish. ;)

I will say on a personal note that I would very much hate to see such a beautiful and touching movie omitted due to an officious technicality.

I am starting a new thread to address issues of: TCM Programming Challenge #26 as this discussion has veered away from issues of the excellent: TCM Programming Challenge #25. 

I ask that any and all questions and comments regarding the next Challenge be posted within that new thread.

I thank you for your consideration in this matter.